Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat

Per CL-member request, a Review of the all-new 2105 Ford F-150.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/?hpt...n-sch-f150-img

IN A NUTSHELL: The perennial best seller takes on an aluminum shell...a first among American full-size trucks.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, Dodge Ram, Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra

(Rear seat flip-up/stowage)

OVERVIEW:

In the ever-growing and ever-more-increasing globalization of today's vehicle-industry, if there is one major category that is still almost uniquely American (in image, at least, if not by the actual country-of-origin in the parts-percentage), it would have to be the traditional, body-on-frame full-size pickup with either 6 or V8 (and sometimes V10) gas or diesel engines. For decades, the classic American full-size pickup truck was a symbol of ranches, cowboys, work sites, construction zones, farms, handypersons, self-contractors, and the American frontier in general.......in a word, WORK. In general, they were WORK trucks, not vehicles designed for comfort, luxury, prestige, showmanship, joyriding, or to impress one's date on a Friday or Saturday night. Into their beds went logs, peat, dirt, furniture, bicycles, ATVs, tools, camper beds, even trash......literally almost anything one could think of. If it was too large to actually fit in the beds, the large torquey engines and full-rail-frame design meant that it could often be towed on a trailer. Drive-train configuration usually consisted of either traditional RWD with a durable live rear axle, or a part-time (no center differential) 4WD system that locked up all four wheels at the same rotational speeds, which made it suitable only for off-roading or on slick paved surfaces where the wheels could slip enough to prevent tire-scrub or driveline stress. On some trucks, besides the separate manual-shift lever on the floor for the transfer-case, the driver actually had to stop the truck, climb down out of the cab (often quite a step down) and manually twist each front wheel hub to engage the part-time 4WD system on the front wheels. Later models lessened the steps needed by making the front hubs auto-locking. But the general idea was that trucks were designed for work, toughness, and simplicity first, and if you sometimes got your pants and shoes dirty while dealing with that.....well, that was just part of the business.

No longer. It's true that American full-size trucks can (still) do a heck of a lot of work if needed....even more so. Indeed, heavy-duty diesel models with dual-rear wheels and extended beds can, in some cases, haul more than 30,000 lbs. (that's several times their own weight). But it's also true that, since the 1990s, pickups have, increasingly, become status-symbols for teens/young adults, vehicles to cruise around in as daily-drivers (despite the generally low gas mileage), and, for those who are not physically built like Hulk Hogan or Arnold Schwarzeneggar, a way to LOOK macho without necessarily BEING macho. In other words, to look out over the roofs of traffic in front of you and more or less bullying or intimidating that little Toyota Yaris or Honda Fit in front of you to calmly and quietly getting out of your way. Many pickup owners also customize/decorate their trucks with two and three-tone paint jobs, American or Rebel flags, bumper-stickers, graphic decals, and an almost endless list of aftermarket parts/accessories. And, today, from the factory, some upper-level pickups are so well-trimmed/equipped inside, and (especially in the case of the quiet, soft-riding Dodge Ram), comfortable enough that they are virtually indistinguishable from luxury cars.

So, not only do we have a more diverse field of truck owners now (and what they use their trucks for)...but the number of competing models has also grown some with time. Although, decades ago, there once were some niche-model pickups from manufacturers such as Studebaker, International, and Jeep (and a number of compact or mid-size trucks as well), the lion's share of the American truck market went to three basic lines...the Ford F-series, Chevy/GMC C/K/Silverado/Sierra, and Dodge Ram. Since the early 1980s, measured as a single-truck line, the F-Series has been the perennial best-seller, although the two corporate-cousin Chevy and GMC lines together outsell it. The Chevy and GMC are pretty much the same truck, minus some differences in trim and equipment. The Dodge Ram lagged significantly behind the leaders, but still sold in some healthy numbers.....even more so after 1994, when the Ram first adopted a unique, droop-fender, semi/big-rig look that significantly increased sales. Today, the Ram specializes in comfort, trim, quality, and refinement, while still able to do its traditional hard work. However, as far as 4WD and AWD systems go, it took American pickups a LONG time (too long, IMO), to begin offering automatic, full-time, or center-differential-equipped systems that operated seamlessly, could be used on any surface, and did not involve a lot of driver-action. They persisted with only part-time 4WD long after many owners made clear they wanted something more sophisticated and daily-usable, until finally, the Silverado broke the ice and started offering it....and a four-wheel-steer option for easier parking. Now the F-Series and Dodge Ram also offer more-sophisticated AWD systems as well.

Another notable feature of American-badged pickup trucks is the amazing loyalty and persistence of their owners. The average F-Series, Silverado/Sierra, or Ram owner gets as attached to his (or sometimes her) truck as a hunter does to his dog....and usually becomes a repeat buyer. (in fact, hunters often drive pickups). This strong loyalty has made it extremely difficult for any other manufacturers to try and break into that market. We have yet to see ANY full-size pickup trucks reach the American market from European or Korean manufacturers (though VW has done a few compact trucks here and there), and, among Japanese manufacturers, only the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan. However, it actually took Toyota some 13 years (from 1993/94 to 2006/07), to actually make the T-100/150 and original Tundra series a TRUE full-sized truck. Before 2006/07, the Tundra was essentially a three-fourths scale truck with a 4.6L V8, growing in size and engine-displacement (5.7L) to true full-truck status that year. The Tundra, today, is somewhat more competitive, though not a true threat by any means to any of the Big Three pickups. The Nissan Titan, while, unlike the Tundra, properly full-sized from the start for the American market, nevertheless has not been competitive, at least partly from its quality and reliability issues, which it shared for several years with other large Nissan/Infiniti SUVS built at the same Canton, MS plant. Lincoln (Blackwood, LT), and Cadillac (Escalade EXT, a luxury-class version of the Chevy Avalanche), both tried marketing full-size pickups in the American market....none were really successful, though the Escalade EXT outsold the Lincolns and lasted a little longer on the market, being dropped in 2013.

Which brings us to the subject of this review....the latest, all-new 13th-generation 2015 F-150. Not only did I get a couple of CL-member requests for a full review, but Ford and Lincoln, each year, at the D.C. Auto Show in late January, sign customers up for dealer test-drives to get pre-paid gift-cards (usually $50 or $75). So, I signed up for one as usual this year, and needed to make a test-drive before March 30....the program's deadline. Bingo.....now's the chance to sample a new F-150 for a review, and kill two birds with one stone. The F-150 is also especially interesting this year because, for the first time (and also a novelty among American pickups) it utilizes an extensive amount of aluminum in its body panels. The proportion of High-Strength steel in the traditional full-frame rises from 23% to 77%. The result, of course, is a rather large 700-lb. reduction in curb weight from the average 2014 F-150 to the average 2015 model. Yet, despite the more widespread use of more-expensive metals and metal alloys this year, list prices don't seem to risen all that much....which begs the question if corresponding cost-cuts were not made elsewhere in the design to compensate. That's one thing, of course, that I'll look for in the review, though cost-cutting is not always easily seen on the surface. And, of course, the aluminum parts may require special body shops to handle accident repair.......which could (?) reflect in the insurance premiums and price of the repairs.

As with most of the other full-sized American pickups, the F-series, particularly the 150, comes in such a wide variety of different models, cab-configurations, trims, powertrains, drive-wheels, bed-lengths, tow/chassis-options, on/off-road packages, etc.....that it would be impractical for me to try and list them all here, so consult the attached website above for details. But, in general, for 2015, the new F-150 is offered in five basic trim levels.....XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum. Four basic gas engines are offered.......the 2.7L Ecoboost (turbo) V6, the 3.5L Ecoboost (turbo) V6, a normally-aspirated (non-turbo) 3.5L V6, and the ubiquitous 5.0L normally-aspirated V8 (one must move up to the heavier-duty F-250/350/450 lines to get the 6.7L V8 Power-Stroke Turbo Diesel and its Gargantuan 860 ft-lbs. of torque). All of the gas engines (and the diesel) come with a standard 6-speed automatic transmission. No traditional three-pedal manuals are offered, though a Select-Shift option is available with some of the engines. Drive wheels, as usual, are rear (4X2) and four-wheel (4X4). Base prices range from $25,420 to $50,960, depending on the trim-model. Fans of the ultra-hard-core off-road F-150 Raptor will have to wait until fall of next year, as the next-generation version will be introduced as a 2017 model. Here is that Ford has released on its web-site, for those who are interested.

https://social.ford.com/content/ford...hp-2017-raptor

Since, given the truck's enormous number different possibilities of trims, options, packages, and mechanical specifications, there is probably no such thing as a "typical" F-150 out the door, for the test-drive, I chose a nicely-trimmed 4X4 Lariat model with the optional 5.0 V8, Club Cab with half-rear doors, FX4 off-road package, and standard 6 1/2 foot bed length. It had a number of options on it, and listed for over 50K, but the dealership also had a 'Instant Savings" price that knocked more than 6K off list. It had the F-150's only extra-cost paint color (Ruby Red Metallic Tint), and black leather interior....but, in the INTERIOR section, below, instead of a detailed explanation of the interior of my Lariat (which was quite nicely trimmed) I gave a broad quick explanation of all the F-150's interiors, which vary quite a bit across the line.

I had also reviewed a couple of samples, not that long ago, of the impressive new Dodge Ram pickups (haven't gotten to the latest Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra yet), and so I especially wanted to see how a nice upmarket version of the new aluminum-construction F-150 would compare to the upmarket Rams in road manners and refinement....very favorably, it turns out. So, let's get on with the review.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 SuperCab 5.0L

BASE PRICE: $42,110

OPTIONS:

Ruby Red Metallic Tint Paint: $395

5.0L V8: $800

Electronically-locked 3.73 rear axle ratio: $150

Equipment Group 501A (see web site for details): $1500

Voice-Activated NAV system: $795

Trailer-Tow Package: $495

Mirror-Fold: $165

Off-Road FX-4 Package: $770

Tailgate Step: $375

Extended-Range Fuel Tank: $195

Trailer-Brake Attachment: $275

Snow-Plow Prep: $50

Lariat Chrome Package: $1695

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $1195*

*(Substantially higher than average, but this is a very large and heavy vehicle)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $50,215*

* The dealership offered an Instant Savings price of $44,135

DRIVETRAIN: 5.0L Longitudinally-mounted V8, 385 HP @ 5750 RPM, Torque 387 Ft-lbs. @ 3850 RPM, 6-speed Select-Shift automatic transmission with column-shifter and Trailer-Tow mode, 3.73 ratio locking differential, electronic Shift-on-the Fly RWD/4WD.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 15 City, 21 Highway, 17 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Ruby Red Metallic Tint

INTERIOR: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

Large weight savings over previous versions with aluminum structure.

Decent power level with 5.0L V8, even with the trucks weight.

Smoother ride comfort than before...still not quite to Dodge Ram's level.

Decent handling by full-size truck standards.

Relatively good wind/road-noise isolation on the Lariat model.

Good underhood access if you are tall enough.

Wide, diverse exterior paint-color choice, depending on model.

Rock-of-Gibraltar tailgate despite the aluminum sheet metal.

Complete set of engine-gauges instead of idiot lights.

Service/repairs done anywhere with huge network of Ford dealerships.

Enormous list of factory-approved and aftermarket accessories to shop from.

Potentially low depreciation/good resale value from the truck's popularity.

MINUSES:

Somewhat mushy brakes.

Low-line versions very stark inside (but, of course, they're work trucks).

Some cheap-feeling plastic hardware outside and inside (depending on versions/equipment)

Awkward entry/exit for short persons even with side-running boards.

Ruby Red paint color costs extra.....needlessly, IMO.

May need special aluminum certified body shops for accident repair.

Upmarket versions rather pricey.

EXTERIOR:

The exterior of the new F-150, when first walking up to it, looks a lot like the previous 2014 model from the side and rear, with more or less the same beltline and only minor differences in the taillight assemblies. In front, while not radically different, there are more noticeable differences. The new grilles are somewhat larger, cover slightly more of the front end, and the headlight assemblies are a little larger and more complex, with body-color half-bars extending through the inner halves. The plastic twin side-mirror assemblies, as is the case with most domestic full-size pickups, are quite large (gotta see past that trailer, and extenders are available), generally well-shaped for visibility, but, as is also the case with most domestic trucks, the actual swivel/snap/locking mechanism doesn't feel smooth or easy to move when pushing it in or out manually. The black/body-color/chrome (depending on trim-model) plastic casing for the mirror assemblies also feels rather thin. The F-150, like other full-size pick-ups, sits quite high off the ground, and shorter people especially, and those who are not wearing long pants, will find the running boards (standard or accessory, depending on trim-model) handy for entry and exit. I'm 6' 2", and I found them handy myself.

The paint jobs were generally quite well-done, smooth and glossy, with little orange peel texture. I liked the fact that there was a generally wide choice of 12 paint colors, though some of them are restricted by trim-model, and several of them were redundant. Still, there were several colors that I felt were good-looking, and I would have chosen. Most of the F-150s in stock, probably from simple buyer-demand, have the bed covered with a nice black spray-on bed-liner. Even with a factory rust-through warranty, it makes little sense, IMO, to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a brand new truck and then just turn around and then just dump a bunch of **** in the bed that will tear up the paint/primer and expose the underlying sheet metal to potential corrosion. Many different bed/tonneau covers, of course, are available as factory or aftermarket accessories. And, while we're on the subject of corrosion, I noticed that, while I'm sure Ford uses anti-corrosion treatments on their sheet metal, the rear wheel wells on most of the F-150s in stock did not have inner-panels in them to catch salt/dirt/debris like the front wheel-wells did. That was true of both the sheet-steel 2014 models still in stock and aluminum 2015 ones.

Which brings us now to, yes, the new F-150's most notable feature....the aluminum body panels (advertised by Ford as military-grade) and high-strength steel frame. Most of the rail-frame, of course, is hidden underneath (except partly visible through the rear wheel-wells), but the aluminum panels are more easily examined. I had expected, at first, for the aluminum panels to feel lighter and more flimsy than last year's steel ones...... after all, Ford advertises an (average) 700 lb. weight-savings per truck. The new aluminum panels DO feel quite thin...to the point where I could easily buckle one with just one of my knuckles pushing in on it. But....(and here's the surprise).....IMO, they didn't feel any thinner than last year's steel panels, though they had a different knocking sound to them from the steel ones when you rapped on them. The doors open and close, as I expected, with a light feel to them, but not as light as I expected given the thin sheet metal. They close with a light but precise-sounding chunk-noise, though, and appear to be well-fitted. At first, I was also concerned that the aluminum bed, even under the bed-liner, would end up looking like a wrinked sheet after several years' hard use with heavy cargo. But Ford (perhaps anticipating this public concern), is publicizing the impact-tests that their engineers have done to simulate that hard use, so only time will tell if they were effective. And, while the hood felt weak and thin like the body panels, the tailgate, for some reason, felt as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar....it opened and shut like bank vault. Last, I'm glad to report that the F-150 comes with a REAL spare tire and wheel. Fortunately, this donut/temporary/run-flat/compressed-air bottle nonsense has not (yet) spread to pickups.

UNDERHOOD:

Due to the very large size of the F-150's underhood area, there were few if any problems with space, with even the largest engines easily fitting in with room to spare.....though, as usual, black plastic engine covers (where applicable) blocked some top-engine access. All of the F-150s I checked had nice underhood gas struts to hold up the hood.....probably a necessity for most people, since only the Jolly Green Giant or NBA guys would probably be tall enough to reach all the way up and use a manual prop-rod. And all of the F-150s I checked, regardless of price, had an underhood insulation pad....though a somewhat crude and crudely-fitted one. The battery, on the left, is uncovered and easily accessible. The filler caps, dipsticks, and fluid reservoirs are generally easily accessible......if you're tall enough to reach over the front end or fenders to get to them. Otherwise, you'll probably need a portable step-up.

INTERIOR:

During a review, I usually go into one long narrative, several paragraphs long, to describe an interior. With the F-150. however, I can't really do that in a practical sense, because of the enormous differences in the interior, trim, equipment and seating-feel between the various trim and option-levels. So, instead, I'll just devote a few comments to the various differences in general.

As I mentioned, there is a gap wide enough in interior plushness between the entry-level models and the top-dog models (Lariat, King Ranch, etc.....) models to drive the F-150 itself right through. The base XL interiors are exactly that....(BASE)....and obviously built not only to a budget, but as work-ready, no-nonsense cabins easy to clean. They come with all-vinyl or cloth seats, rubber/vinyl floor covering instead of carpets, cheap-looking/feeling black plastic for almost everything inside except the seats and floor, and a minimal amount of comfort/convenience equipment....in short, a dirt-ready work truck. XLT interiors are a noticeable step up in equipment and trim quality, looking considerably more civilized. Lariat Interiors are another, even bigger big step up in general ambience/trim quality, with nice wood-tones and brushed-metal, and, by the time you get to the King Ranch and Platinum trims......well, you are basically into luxury-vehicle territory, even in a pickup. Start fitting various options/accessories inside, and there are even more differences between the interiors. So, with an F-150, in a nutshell, what you see is what you get.

That's not to say, though, that there aren't any similarities at all between the various interiors. All of them seemed to have nice, easily read primary gauges, and, from what I can remember, a complete set of secondary gauges.....oil pressure, voltmeter, oil temperature, etc..... (which, IMO, should be standard in all gas-powered vehicles instead of idiot lights). Most of the *****/switches/buttons on the various trim levels, whether coated in cheap black material or something nicer-looking/feeling, were relatively easy to use or adjust. Headroom, as expected from the high roofline, was plentiful both front and rear for even tall people, whether in the Regular, SuperCab, or SuperCrew versions, as was legroom, though the SuperCrew versions, with the four full doors, obviously had the most rear legroom.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Not really much to add here.....I've already talked about the new aluminum bed and tailgate in the EXTERIOR section.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the big 5.0L V8, on the Lariat model, with a nice START/STOP button (some lower versions have just a cheap black ignition switch). The engine comes to life, as typical of a V8, smoothly and quietly, especially by truck standards. The general power level on the road is quite decent, and even this large full-size truck will generally get out of its own way...that, of course, is one payoff of the new lighter aluminum structure. Another payoff, of course, is to lower the truck's center of gravity (despite it's height) and having less weight above the suspension, which translate to decent handling and steering response by by full-size truck standards. No vehicle this size is going to handle like a Mazda Miata or Honda S2000, but, in general, steering response was a little quicker, and body roll was somewhat less, than I had expected, given my experience with previous F-150s and their competitors.

The 6-speed Select-Shift automatic transmission performed and shifted quite well, although programmed, of course, more for heavy work than general driving-smoothness. Shifting is done by a traditional large, column-mounted shifter and a tow/haul mode button. Sorry, manual-transmission F-150 lovers......a traditional 3-pedal manual is not offered (one of the very few things that isn't). Overall, though, even though primarily designed for work, the power train, overall, is quite refined, and only a small amount of exhaust-noise was evident on acceleration.

One thing I especially wanted to check out on the new F-150 was its ride comfort.....an area where its Dodge Ram 1500 competitor has truly excelled during recent years, and easily set the standard. Even with the optional, firmer, off-road FX-4 package on my Lariat, the general ride comfort, compared to past F-150s I've sampled, though with an underlying firmness on smoother pavement, was noticeably smoother over bumps and lumpy pavement than in the past. It still did not quite match the Ram's silky magic-carpet ride over bumps, though....the Dodge engineers have really done a remarkable job on the Ram's chassis. The long wheelbase of my test-truck probably helped somewhat with the ride (all else equal, a longer wheelbase usually does), but it is obvious that Ford worked on the suspension with this new redesign. It's unclear, though, if the new aluminum structure is contributing to the smoother ride this year, as trucks usually ride smoother as they gain weight, and aluminum cuts down on the weight. But changes in the new suspension, combined with the new structure, may have done the trick....hard to say, as I'm not an engineer myself. And, as explained above, the new suspension and materials have also noticeably helped the handling and steering response.

The F-150, at least with the Lariat, is also generally well-sealed from wind and road noise, especially by truck standards. Both were well-controlled, and only a small amount of exhaust-chuffle from the V8 made itself heard during acceleration.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the brakes, though (I'm usually not in full-size pickups and SUVs). The pedal was rather high above the gas pedal (though far enough from it that my big size-15 clown-shoes didn't hang up on it going from gas to brake). But the pedal had the typical large-truck mushiness.....you have to push it down firmly at least a couple of inches to get noticeable response. Not dangerous per se, but you DO need to pay close attention to where you are going, your following distance behind other vehicles, your speed, and how much room you have to stop in front of you in an emergency.

THE VERDICT:

No doubt, the impressive newer Dodge Rams are a tough act to follow. As I've stated before, IMO, they set the standard in ride comfort and refinement, and essentially drive like a good luxury-oriented, non-sporting sedan. The new 2015, F-150, however, ups the ante from last year's F-150, and gives the Ram a run for its money...especially in upmarket versions like the Lariat I tested. In sales-numbers, though, Ford has ruled the full-sized truck market for over 30 years Based on what I found today, I don't see any reason why that would likely change with this new version.....unless some potential buyers may be concerned about insurance premiums and the need for special body shops for accident repair. I don't know for a fact that premiums will rise on the new F-150 more than its competitors (I'm guessing, based on what has happened with some other heavily-aluminum vehicles like the Audi A8 and Jaguar XJ).....but of course, those are very expensive, upmarket, top-level sedans to start with. Still, before committing to an F-150 purchase (and, of course, this is the case with any vehicle when you're shopping)....give your insurance company or agent a call and see what the premiums will run.

And, as always......Happy car (Oops......Truck) shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-15 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-13-15, 05:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great review as always. So the question is given the recent refinements to the Ram 1500 and now the F-150 which would you choose based on two scenarios. Assuming both trucks are similarly spec'd 1. Both trucks free but you can only choose one to take home and 2. Which truck would your money buy?

Awesome new customization display
Old 03-13-15, 05:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great review as always.
Thanks.

I had planned this review a few weeks ago (right after the Nissan Murano), but the Arctic weather here in the D.C. area, up till the last few days when it got warm and everything melted, was just brutal....record cold and constant winter storms every couple of days. Most of the F-150s in stock, without bed-covers, had snow and ice piled way up in the beds...which would have added weight in back and altered their driving characteristics. I felt I couldn't do an accurate test-drive (even if I did a static-review on some of them indoors) until the snow and ice all melted from the beds....which didn't happen on the local dealer lots until early this week.

So the question is given the recent refinements to the Ram 1500 and now the F-150 which would you choose based on two scenarios. Assuming both trucks are similarly spec'd 1. Both trucks free but you can only choose one to take home and 2. Which truck would your money buy?
Good question, since, even though I occasionally do truck reviews and follow the truck market, I'm not really what you would a "truck" person. I do have great respect, though, for their usefulness, versatility, and ability to haul things. First, I'd probably have to review (or at least test-drive) a Silverado or Sienna before really choosing between the Ram and F-150. Second, up to now, strictly between the Ram and F-150, for the last couple of years, I would have taken the Ram hands-down, as ride comfort is usually an issue with me. I would have had some concern about the Ram's reliability, though, with its being a Chrysler product......reliability is an area where the F-150 has generally come out ahead. But, with this new F-150 (Lariat), it would definitely be a tough choice. The Ram still wins on ride-comfort, but, unlike before, just barely. Both of them have widespread dealer networks and easily-available service and repairs. The F-150, based on past experience, might depreciate a little less, though we don't know what kind of repair or insurance hassles the new aluminum version is going to ultimately have.

So, right now, I guess the answer is (minus any influence from the Silverado/Sierra)....if I was keeping it just a few years, probably the Ram. If i was keeping it for a (potentially) longer period of time....probably the F-150.

Awesome new customization display
Yep....very BMW-like in its general design and clarity. And notice the relatively complete set of secondary gauges across the top, including oil-pressure and oil-temperature, instead of those idiot-lights. All that's missing in this particular version is the ammeter/voltmeter to tell if the battery's charging or discharging.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-15 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-13-15, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

great review, thanks. i was recently in a brand new king ranch super crew (4 door) and it was amazing. it also had the ecoboost turbo 3.5 v6 and its power is incredible. even if ford doesn't drop the v8 (they'd be mad to) i expect the v6 to take more and more sales.

one great touch of the truck i was in was that every single light in it (including headlights) are LED. of course this was a 'loaded' f-150 but the interior was incredible.
Old 03-13-15, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great review, thanks. i was recently in a brand new king ranch super crew (4 door) and it was amazing. it also had the ecoboost turbo 3.5 v6 and its power is incredible. even if ford doesn't drop the v8 (they'd be mad to) i expect the v6 to take more and more sales.

one great touch of the truck i was in was that every single light in it (including headlights) are LED. of course this was a 'loaded' f-150 but the interior was incredible.
Yes, there's an enormous difference in trim/interior plushness between the upper-level F-150s and the basic, non-nonsense work truck, which is basically a muddy-shoes/muddy clothes vehicle for construction-sites....it comes with vinyl-covered seats and vinyl/rubber flooring. The King Ranch, on the other hand, is clearly one of the industry standards for pickup-truck opulence, though the Lariat interior on my test truck was almost as nice.

There are actually three different Ecoboost V6s....the top one, as you note, puts out significantly more torque (at a low 2500 RPM), though slightly less HP, than the 5.0L V8. On paper at least, the 3.5 Ecoboost is good for 2 more MPG, in 4WD format, than the 5.0....although we'll have to wait and see what kind of mileage customers actually get. Ford's Ecoboost line, in the past, has had some trouble actually getting the same or close to their claimed MPG figures.
Old 03-13-15, 10:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review: 2016 Lincoln MKX (when released).
Old 03-13-15, 11:45 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice write-up, Mike.

I wouldn't mind riding home in a loaded KR or Platinum.
Old 03-14-15, 03:41 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seriously can't figure out how people afford these things. The prices are even more crazy in Canada.
Old 03-14-15, 06:16 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by venom21
I seriously can't figure out how people afford these things. The prices are even more crazy in Canada.
Because they are making money
Old 03-14-15, 07:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
Because they are making money
Ford's F-series line and the large SUVs based on them (Expedition, Navigator, etc...) and GM's similar competitors rank among Detroit's most profitable vehicles per unit.

Part of that is shown by the more than 6K discount this particular dealership was offering, even before any formal price-negotiations.
Old 03-14-15, 08:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Nice write-up, Mike.
Thanks. The snow finally melted enough to let me get it.

I wouldn't mind riding home in a loaded KR or Platinum.
I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Lariat I drove, either. Its interior is almost as plush as a KR.
Old 03-14-15, 11:58 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 301 Posts

I have a pretty loaded 2014 Lariat with the 3.5L EcoBoost. I'm really happy with it. The engine is superb - the power is right there, and for me it's a great upgrade over the standard V8. I got mine used, and got what was a 53k truck for just over 30 before taxes etc. I was going to get a 2015 Ram Laramie, and had a deal worked up on one for over 12k off MSRP, but stumbled across the Lariat and went with that one. I agree with mmarshall on the interior - it's really very good, and on mine it's substantially similar to the 2015.
Old 03-14-15, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
I have a pretty loaded 2014 Lariat with the 3.5L EcoBoost. I'm really happy with it. The engine is superb - the power is right there, and for me it's a great upgrade over the standard V8.
Congratulations on your Lariat. Good luck with it.

Are you getting at (or near) the gas mileage claimed for that Ecoboost? That has been an issue in the press for some Ford Ecoboost powerplants, though I am of the general opinion that too many different factors go into what gas mileage one actually gets to necessarily blame the factory.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-14-15 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 04:11 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on your Lariat. Good luck with it.

Are you getting at (or near) the gas mileage claimed for that Ecoboost? That has been an issue in the press for some Ford Ecoboost powerplants, though I am of the general opinion that too many different factors go into what gas mileage one actually gets to necessarily blame the factory.
Thanks!

Hard to say on the fuel economy, I've used it mainly in town so far although we did have one long freeway drive to our lake place. One thing (and you alluded to that in your post) is that you probably can drive this pretty economically if you want to (as you don't need to mash the pedal to get it going, it has a ton of torque even at fairly low RPM), but that same characteristic makes you want to drive it a little harder as it's more fun. I will say that it wasn't the fuel economy that I was most interested in when the truck came up, it was the 420lb/ft of torque from just over 2000 RPM as I also have a boat to tow and this engine seems like a perfect fit for that requirement.
Old 03-17-15, 12:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Thanks!

Hard to say on the fuel economy, I've used it mainly in town so far although we did have one long freeway drive to our lake place. One thing (and you alluded to that in your post) is that you probably can drive this pretty economically if you want to (as you don't need to mash the pedal to get it going, it has a ton of torque even at fairly low RPM), but that same characteristic makes you want to drive it a little harder as it's more fun. I will say that it wasn't the fuel economy that I was most interested in when the truck came up, it was the 420lb/ft of torque from just over 2000 RPM as I also have a boat to tow and this engine seems like a perfect fit for that requirement.
"Fun", in a full-size pickup, (though it probably goes without saying) is not the same as in a sports car or sport-sedan. Though the big weight-savings of the new aluminum F-150 does seem to help the handling, steering, and acceleration some, this truck clearly is not meant to carve tight corners...or make high-G stops.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Ford F-150 Lariat