And when this happens with cars (Autonomous Car) - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

And when this happens with cars (Autonomous Car)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-15, 08:28 PM   #1
dicer
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: wa
Posts: 4,170
Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts
Default And when this happens with cars (Autonomous Car)

there should still be special drivers licenses where people have to prove they can drive as good or better than a robot can.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 06:25 AM   #2
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 65,435
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Default

IMO, unless traffic is really dense and a PITA to tackle (which it often is in this area), driving is usually too much fun to be left to robots....especially if you are in a car you really like.

Among other things, three things in this world that I'm glad I got were my Virginia Drivers' License, my U.S. Government Drivers' License (when I worked for the FAA), and my Pilot (Airman's) License. I enjoyed both the driver's seat and the cockpit.....but, at least, in a car, you usually can't get airsick or dizzy from bouncing around.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 06:29 AM.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 06:59 AM   #3
Sulu
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
there should still be special drivers licenses where people have to prove they can drive as good or better than a robot can.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_car

If you are that paranoid about electronics and hackable software in cars, why are you advocating self-driving cars. They will be the top target of hackers who want to play havoc with engine, steering, brake controls, etc.
Sulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 09:38 AM   #4
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 51,662
Thanked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicer View Post
there should still be special drivers licenses where people have to prove they can drive as good or better than a robot can.
i agree except there will be ZERO chance a person (even a race car driver or driving instructor) can prove they drive as good or better than an autonomous car except perhaps in extreme conditions (racing, complex evasive maneuvers). autonomous cars will be MUCH safe than human drivers and humans will pay big time for insurance if they want to drive as the human driver population dwindles in the future.
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 09:42 AM   #5
J.P.
Boardroom Thug
 
J.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Treasury
Posts: 8,765
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Driving is such a freedom, I would like to keep it that way.
J.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 09:52 AM   #6
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 65,435
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna

autonomous cars will be MUCH safe than human drivers and humans will pay big time for insurance if they want to drive as the human driver population dwindles in the future.
..................until John Q. Hacker figures out a way to take over the steering, engine computer, and brakes. Then we're screwed.



mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 01:49 PM   #7
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
iTrader: (20)
 
bitkahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Present
Posts: 51,662
Thanked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
..................until John Q. Hacker figures out a way to take over the steering, engine computer, and brakes. Then we're screwed.
just like people stopped buying things online and online banking after NUMEROUS WELL PUBLICIZED massive hacks, data breaches and theft. oh wait...
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 02:29 PM   #8
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 65,435
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
just like people stopped buying things online and online banking after NUMEROUS WELL PUBLICIZED massive hacks, data breaches and theft. oh wait...
Still didn't lessen the impact on those who did get hacked.

And it's not just me who is concerned about that. The engineers actually working on these self-driving cars are just as concerned themselves. Hopefully, they will be able develop hacker-resistant systems....but, we'll see.

PBS's News Hour, BTW, ran a good piece on this subject a few nights ago....on even the exposure of today's computerized autos (much less those of tomorrow) to hackers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 02:43 PM.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 02:49 PM   #9
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 65,435
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Driving is such a freedom, I would like to keep it that way.
Agreed, J.P.

I find few things in life (at least in the secular) as peaceful and refreshing as Virginia's Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway in a car you really like....IMO, the most scenic long-length drive east of the Mississippi.

mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 03:07 PM   #10
G Star
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
G Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Posts: 6,736
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Agreed, J.P.

I find few things in life (at least in the secular) as peaceful and refreshing as Virginia's Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway in a car you really like....IMO, the most scenic long-length drive east of the Mississippi.

Oh come now, you think people should be spied on for their own safety but suddenly an autonomous cars debate sparks a thought of freedom inside you?
G Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 03:14 PM   #11
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 65,435
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Star View Post
Oh come now,
There's no "Oh come now" about it. What I said was perfectly legitimate.


Quote:
you think people should be spied on for their own safety but suddenly an autonomous cars debate sparks a thought of freedom inside you?
The fact, (not opinion) is that I don't drive anywhere that I have to be ashamed of, or that I have to try and hide. As long as I can drive my own car, I'm content. I can sleep just fine at night, thank-you, even if Big Brother is occasionally watching. I enjoy driving (except in gridlock traffic) and will continue to do so. In fact, the On-Star in my Verano does a little tracking on its own.....a device that is in all new American-market GM cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 03:32 PM.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 06:20 PM   #12
G Star
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
G Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Posts: 6,736
Thanked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
There's no "Oh come now" about it. What I said was perfectly legitimate.




The fact, (not opinion) is that I don't drive anywhere that I have to be ashamed of, or that I have to try and hide. As long as I can drive my own car, I'm content. I can sleep just fine at night, thank-you, even if Big Brother is occasionally watching. I enjoy driving (except in gridlock traffic) and will continue to do so. In fact, the On-Star in my Verano does a little tracking on its own.....a device that is in all new American-market GM cars.
Let's backtrack, you think Americans should be spied on because it is for their own safety even though an overwhelming majority of Americans want and demand privacy. This is not a secret, you are very vocal about this. Now you say you don't want autonomous cars, or at least wouldn't want the government being involved in forcing everybody to use autonomous cars because it may take away your "freedom" to drive your own cars. One looking at your history of reasoning (or lack thereof) can assume that; Autonomous cars make us safer, therefore government has the privilege, right and/or moral obligation force autonomous cars on us to protect us from ourselves .

Last edited by G Star; 02-13-15 at 06:24 PM.
G Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 06:36 PM   #13
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 65,435
Thanked 53 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Star View Post
Let's backtrack, you think Americans should be spied on because it is for their own safety even though an overwhelming majority of Americans want and demand privacy. This is not a secret, you are very vocal about this. Now you say you don't want autonomous cars, or at least wouldn't want the government being involved in forcing everybody to use autonomous cars because it may take away your "freedom" to drive your own cars. One looking at your history of reasoning (or lack thereof) can assume that; Autonomous cars make us safer, therefore government has the privilege, right and/or moral obligation force autonomous cars on us to protect us from ourselves .
This thread is about autonomous cars vs. driving freedom, not spying. I've already said what have to say on that subject. If you want to make it an issue of government-spying (another whole area), I don't think this is the forum to do it in. I'll discuss it with you either in the Debate forum or in PM.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-13-15 at 07:22 PM.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 07:26 PM   #14
dicer
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: wa
Posts: 4,170
Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts
Default

I am not for it. Though there are some stupid drivers that need it. It will be forced upon us all when the time comes.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-15, 07:36 PM   #15
dicer
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: wa
Posts: 4,170
Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulu View Post
If you are that paranoid about electronics and hackable software in cars, why are you advocating self-driving cars. They will be the top target of hackers who want to play havoc with engine, steering, brake controls, etc.

And where am I advocating anything?
I'm just saying people should have to know how to drive, that is at speed and cornering and ice and rain etc. its all poky dumb_______s in this area I live. They slow down a mile or 2 before exiting an off ramp, accelerate to 35 to 40 on an on ramp and merge into 60 mph moving traffic. And then camp out in the left passing lane at 55 or less. So people like that need something or someone else doing the driving for them. I am not for the electronics operating any thing the driver has hands or feet on and controls a car or truck with or an aircraft.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volvo autonomous car engineer calls Tesla’s Autopilot a ‘wannabe' Hoovey2411 Car Chat 10 05-02-16 08:09 AM
Toyota Testing Semi-Autonomous Lexus GS on Japanese Highways blacksun Car Chat 13 10-08-15 07:35 PM
Autonomous Vehicles – Coming to a Dealership Near You Chariotz Car Chat 1 04-01-15 11:21 AM
Self driving (Google) cars Hoovey2411 Car Chat 61 05-30-14 05:48 PM
'14 S Class Autonomous Steering Joeb427 Car Chat 7 03-08-13 09:38 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: