Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2015 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 08:52 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Mazda 6 only sells 3-4,000 / month???
Camry and Accord are in different universe.

For some reason i thought the new 6 sold well.
Old 02-03-15, 11:31 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

With the introduction of the NX sales of the RX has gone up. Sales of the RX for January 2015 are 962 more than January 2014.

When the IS came out sales of the ES increased! Amazing how Lexus is doing very well...
Old 02-04-15, 02:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GS69

Subaru of America, Inc. today reported 40,812 vehicle sales for January 2015, a 24 percent increase over January 2014. These results continue the company’s sales momentum from 2014 where Subaru achieved six consecutive years of record sales and exceeded 500,000 annual sales – a first in company history.

January marked the 11th consecutive month of 40,000+ vehicle sales for the company. Forester, WRX/STI, Legacy, Outback, and XV Crosstrek sales were notably strong as each model line achieved its best January ever. WRX/STI and Legacy sales for January 2015 increased 59 and 41 percent respectively over January 2014. The XV Crosstrek small CUV also added 6,513 sales to the month’s total.

All seven 2015 Subaru models recently earned safety awards from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) – two with Top Safety Pick and five with Top Safety Pick+ including the Forester, Legacy, Outback, Impreza, and XV Crosstrek, when equipped with optional EyeSight® Driver Assist Technology. In January, Subaru also earned Kelley Blue Book’s prestigious 2015 Best Resale Value Brand Award and three vehicle segment awards – Compact Car Category: 2015 Subaru Impreza; Sporty Compact Car Category: 2015 Subaru WRX; and Mid-Size Car Category: 2015 Subaru Legacy.

“We are off to a strong start to 2015 by having the best January sales in our franchise’s history and we expect strong demand to continue throughout the year,” said Thomas J. Doll, president and chief operating officer, Subaru of America, Inc. “We are excited to see strong sales across our entire model line, as well as achieve the sale of our seven millionth vehicle.”

Jeff Walters, senior vice president of sales said; “Subaru continues to receive outstanding accolades from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the automotive press for our products. These favorable reviews are increasing the positive image and awareness of our products among the American buying public and help drive the demand we are seeing in our retail stores.”

thanks for the numbers - there is no stopping the Subaru train. They are doing so awesome in North America, it is amazing.

If you told European that Subaru is outselling VW+Audi in USA, they would die laughing.
Old 02-05-15, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Mazda 6 only sells 3-4,000 / month???
Camry and Accord are in different universe.

For some reason i thought the new 6 sold well.
It does sell well, just not in the same league as the Camry and Accord, nobody is.
Old 02-05-15, 10:20 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I thought Altimas were neck and neck with Camry for jan 2015 with both selling about 5000 more than Accord
Old 02-06-15, 06:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It does sell well, just not in the same league as the Camry and Accord, nobody is.
it sells incredibly poor... selling 10x less than Camry is not well.

They sell much better in Europe and rest of the world probably... for some reason Mazda cant crack NA market despite good vehicles.
Old 02-06-15, 06:55 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Looks like the media picked up on the 2 LFA's that sold this month and the few still unsold ones. Not good for its reputation.
Old 02-06-15, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it sells incredibly poor... selling 10x less than Camry is not well. They sell much better in Europe and rest of the world probably... for some reason Mazda cant crack NA market despite good vehicles.
This is an old argument. Mazda does not intend the 6 to sell anywhere near as many units as the Camry and Accord. They don't even produce that many units, they have a smaller dealer network, less market saturation. It's not a zero sum game. It's possible for a company to sell 3,500 units of a car a month compared to 25,000 and for it to still be considered a success.

For instance down the hall from my office is a team that does 10 times as much business as I do. That doesn't mean that I am not successful. They have 17 people, I have 3. Our businesses and goals are different, and our definitions of success are different.
Old 02-06-15, 07:10 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This is an old argument. Mazda does not intend the 6 to sell anywhere near as many units as the Camry and Accord. They don't even produce that many units, they have a smaller dealer network, less market saturation. It's not a zero sum game. It's possible for a company to sell 3,500 units of a car a month compared to 25,000 and for it to still be considered a success.

For instance down the hall from my office is a team that does 10 times as much business as I do. That doesn't mean that I am not successful. They have 17 people, I have 3. Our businesses and goals are different, and our definitions of success are different.
Speaking of Mazda...
We love our CX-5.Looks and handles great.
I have the top of the line CX-9 loaner and I'm impressed with it's quietness and ride quality on I believe 20's..A lot of vehicle for $41K list.
Old 02-06-15, 07:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah we looked at the CX-9 back in 2011 before we got the first Jeep, I liked it a lot.
Old 02-06-15, 04:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Looks like the media picked up on the 2 LFA's that sold this month and the few still unsold ones. Not good for its reputation.
there is nothing new, over the past 2 years we always see 1 or 2 lfa sold every month. it's just that a lot of people didn't want to believe it

imho a more interesting comparison would be say on the 599gto or other "equivalent" cars, how did their sales go over time
Old 02-06-15, 05:25 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
imho a more interesting comparison would be say on the 599gto or other "equivalent" cars, how did their sales go over time
From what I heard the 599GTO got snapped up at the regular Ferrari rate, despite looking hideous. Remember that car ended up having 6 different iterations of the course of its 6 year lifetime so interest stayed piqued. Oh yeah, and the Ferrari badge helped a bit too.
Old 02-07-15, 01:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

It sells In very low #s - forget about Camry and Accord.
It cant even compete with Altima, Fusion, Sonata, etc.

Not sure what Mazda is doing wrong in the sales / advertising area but the car has received lots of praise and has won numerous comparos.
Old 02-07-15, 01:10 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Your logic is flawed and there is a reason small automakers are gone in the US like Suzuki, Saab, Mitsubishi (almost gone). Mazda needs more volume to succeed, otherwise they will not have the $$$ for R&D to develop next generation cars that are competitive.
Years ago they shared those costs with Ford.

Eventually they need a bigger company to partner with like Nissan did.
Old 02-07-15, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Your logic is flawed and there is a reason small automakers are gone in the US like Suzuki, Saab, Mitsubishi (almost gone). Mazda needs more volume to succeed, otherwise they will not have the $$$ for R&D to develop next generation cars that are competitive.
Years ago they shared those costs with Ford.

Eventually they need a bigger company to partner with like Nissan did.
What insight, figures do you have about Mazda's financials that lead you to believe that their current sales can't support the company's operating costs or their R&D costs? I haven't seen a shortage of new product or R&D coming out of Mazda...so something must be working...Completely different than Suzuki, Saab or Mitsubishi.

You say "eventually Mazda needs a bigger company to partner with"...you need to do a little more reading into Mazda's history. Mazda had a 30 year long partnership with Ford (pretty big I think, this "Ford" outfit). Since the 90s Ford actually had a controlling interest in Mazda. Ford decided during the financial meltdown that they were interested in potentially selling some of or all of their stake in Mazda, Mazda bought about 1/3rd of that stake back themselves. Ford still owns a portion of Mazda, just not a controlling interest.

Mazda is owned by a myriad of shareholders....and their sales are up overall, not down. So the argument "that the need volume to succeed" doesn't really hold water...since they have more volume now than they've had here.

Quick Reply: January 2015 Sales Thread