Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson Reviews the NX 300h

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 02:37 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeremy Clarkson Reviews the NX 300h

And he doesn't hate it! That's a victory there, isn't it? Ha ha. We pulled some of the best quotes out on the blog, but you can read the full review here.
Old 01-06-15, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
What’s more, if you peel away the premium-brand badging, the NX is essentially a Toyota RAV4. So you can think of it as a sweatshop jumper with a Ralph Lauren horse on the front.
While respecting Clarkson's automotive knowledge, I have to disagree with him on the NX being simply a redone RAV-4. Lexus, in the NX's design, did start with a RAV-4 platform, but after that, went to great length to produce a small SUV that strongly differed in actual content and mechanical/electronic design from the RAV-4. I covered some of that recently in my own NX review:

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, of course, that doesn't mean that the NX is simply a cloned RAV-4 with some wood and leather inside and a little more sound-insulation.....far from it. Only the basic structure and wheelbase is taken directly from the RAV-4, while the rest of the vehicle is pretty much unique to Lexus. The suspension, gas-powered drivetrain, body styling, roofline, and interior are all significantly different. In fact, the 2.0L turbo inline-four used in the gas version is Lexus's first use of a factory- turbocharged engine here in the U.S....and pretty much competes with similar 2.0L turbo powerplants in the Lincoln MKC and Audi Q3/Q5.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-15 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
With Lexus you never know what you’re going to get. It’s not swings and roundabouts; it’s rollercoasters and big buckets full of steaming excrement. Some Lexuses are so brilliant that you have to bite the back of your hand to stop yourself crying out. Others are so bad that you consider driving at full speed into a tree to end the misery.
I agree with him on this one...but, even over and above that, I've also seen some Lexus products that combine greatness and mediocrity in the same vehicle.

And then you have those that are beautifully made but a bit forgettable. I can’t recall their names at the moment.
He's (probably) taking about past versions of the ES (especially the 4Gen version), which were built like a Swiss Watch, but, by his enthusiast standards, would be rather boring to drive.
Old 01-06-15, 03:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I agree with him on this one...but, even over and above that, I've also seen some Lexus products that combine greatness and mediocrity in the same vehicle.

He's (probably) taking about past versions of the ES (especially the 4Gen version), which were built like a Swiss Watch, but, by his enthusiast standards, would be rather boring to drive.
I'm no sure he is referring to the ES, since they are not available in UK and it'd unlikely he's driven them ...
Old 01-06-15, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

He's likely never driven an ES, they don't sell them in the UK.
Old 01-06-15, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I'm not sure he is referring to the ES, since they are not available in UK and it'd unlikely he's driven them ...
Originally Posted by SW13GS
He's likely never driven an ES, they don't sell them in the UK.
He gets all over the world, though.....just by nature of his Top Gear and auto-press credentials. I once saw him and Richard Hammond, on a TV show, do a South Florida to Alabama run in a couple of older American cars. He complained to no end about the heat.....he's used to mild-climate Britain, of course, and the A/C apparently wasn't working that day in the Florida swamp-heat and humidity.

And even if he's not referring specifically to an ES, it would be the exact type of car that, on a long straight and level highway, would probably put him to sleep.

(Wouldn't put ME to sleep, though, because I like smooth, quiet, semi-floating cars like that)

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-06-15 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-06-15, 04:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah but he really only tests and reviews cars in the UK. He didn't for instance fly to the US to drive a Lexus ES...that car would be so off his radar why would he bother.

What you're talking about is one of their TopGear special road trips. They were in the US specifically traveling in three old American cars...they weren't over here "reviewing cars".
Old 01-06-15, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah but he really only tests and reviews cars in the UK. He didn't for instance fly to the US to drive a Lexus ES...that car would be so off his radar why would he bother.

What you're talking about is one of their TopGear special road trips. They were in the US specifically traveling in three old American cars...they weren't over here "reviewing cars".
I don't remember all the details (I watch and read so much car stuff that's it's hard to remember every one). I just remember him b**ching about the Gulf Coast heat and humidity and the car either not having A/C/ or it not working.

He also did a more recent one in the NV/CA desert, if my memory is right, driving a WRX.

Anyhow, back to the NX. I think it will sell regardless of whatever he or other TV reviewers write about it.
Old 01-06-15, 04:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

There was another thread about the british review of the RCF, and someone noted that they looked forward to JC's review of it. Well after this NX review, we can say for sure he doesn't like the RCF
Old 01-06-15, 04:14 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While respecting Clarkson's automotive knowledge, I have to disagree with him on the NX being simply a redone RAV-4. Lexus, in the NX's design, did start with a RAV-4 platform, but after that, went to great length to produce a small SUV that strongly differed in actual content and mechanical/electronic design from the RAV-4. I covered some of that recently in my own NX review:

Agreed about that, and does contradict what he said about the X Type Jag. Can't find the quote, but it basically said it might be based on a Contour, but humans are 98% chimpanzee DNA, and we're quite different.
Old 01-06-15, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't remember all the details (I watch and read so much car stuff that's it's hard to remember every one). I just remember him b**ching about the Gulf Coast heat and humidity and the car either not having A/C/ or it not working.
Yeah he had an old Chevy Camaro in that one, the cars they choose are usually a disaster (part of why its funny).
Old 01-06-15, 05:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

He's definitely warming up to Lexus. He could have easily trashed the vehicle overall focusing on for instance the power and CVT but he didn't. The LFA has done wonders for Lexus...
Old 01-06-15, 06:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i think CTh is more likely. i doubt he'd even fit in one and would complain about how slow it is.
Old 01-06-15, 10:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The junky old cars were part of the gag. Top Gear is first and foremost an entertainment preposition. Damn funny though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-07-15, 02:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Which is fine because in this day and age lots of people just want to get home at night. And it’s good at that. Very good. It is extremely comfortable and remarkably quiet. There’s even an EV mode button that puts it in a pure electric motor setting, which would make it quieter still, but every time I pushed it I was told the system was temporarily unavailable. I therefore went back to playing with the head-up display.

This is not a fast car…I’ve never driven so slowly in all my life. I actually had to speed up for the cameras

It’s strange. The Lexus is sold as a hybrid, and it has two different power sources, so technically it is. But it can’t really run on batteries alone. So if you are looking for a car to save the polar bear you’d be better off with a McLaren P1 or a Porsche 918 Spyder.

However, if you are normal, the Lexus is pretty good. It worked in a field, the boot is huge, the back is spacious and the air of good quality is all-pervading. The handling also is good for a car this tall and heavy — it’s really heavy — but despite its bulk you can do hundreds of miles on a single tank of fuel. I enjoyed my time with it and would recommend it to anyone who for some reason doesn’t want a Range Rover Evoque.

I can’t for the life of me work out what that reason might be, but if you have one, then the NX, despite all the evidence to the contrary, is your answer.
this is probably 2nd best JC review of any Lexus, ever.... so really good review. Of course, British cant go past their British vehicles, which is also fine :-). And probably thats why Germans then end up reviewing British vehicles on the opposite side of this :-). It is fun to read for us who have access to both reviews.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson Reviews the NX 300h