Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went minivan shopping the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 04:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Default Went minivan shopping the other day...

Ugh.

It had been several years since I had really looked at any minivans. Since my wife is having twins in...oh my god...less than two months ...we're considering the likelihood that a minivan will be a vehicle that would make our lives easier.

I prefer the feel, look & drive of an SUV to a minivan, as most Americans do, but I'm not one who is morally opposed to a minivan.

I looked at a 2015 Toyota Sienna Limited, and a 2015 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite. Highest models available, it would probably be a choice between these two vans.

Functionality wise, they're very similar. Both have very adaptable seating, the Odyssey seemed to maybe have slightly more room. The Sienna has more technology available, adaptive cruise and PCS which we have now in the Jeep and would miss.

But let me say...good God these things are crappy. I'm someone who is used to and appreciates a high quality vehicle...these things pretty uniformly terrible when it comes to interior materials, quality of exterior trim, etc. The refresh dash on the Sienna is an improvement, but still LOTS of hard plastic, hard plastic doors, extremely thin carpeting. The Odyssey has an almost entirely hard plastic dash...probably the worst dash in terms of materials I've seen in anything in a long time.

Obviously, a minivan isn't a luxury purchase, but the Sienna was $47k and the Odyssey was $46k, the Jeep was $49k, pricewise we're similar. Obviously the vans have more seats, more room, etc.

I've always resisted luxury minivans, but I might pull back from that opinion some.

We are going to make do with the Jeep for a while, we'll see what the market looks like in 1-1.5 years when we're shopping...
Old 12-23-14, 04:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Isn't the Mercedes V-Class coming Stateside soon?
Old 12-23-14, 04:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its a little too big/boxish/Sprinter-esque for me.

I plan on looking at the Kia Sedona, its supposed to have much better materials.
Old 12-23-14, 04:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I agree. It's tough to go back to lower quality interiors for just a few bucks cheaper. Which is why I'll compromise on space for refinement.

New Sedona? How about a Highlander Limited -it would be my first choice if space was needed yet still has a near Lexus like quality interior without crossing over into the minivan world.
Old 12-23-14, 04:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I drove the Highlander, space is good, interior quality is good but overall the package is blah. If I were going to go crossover I'd get an Infiniti QX60, Acura MDX or the new Lexus 3 row when it comes out.

We really would prefer a minivan, the seating is better and more adaptable, etc.
Old 12-23-14, 04:57 PM
Hoovey689

Congrats on the twins btw!
Old 12-23-14, 05:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks! Still not real yet lol
Old 12-23-14, 05:06 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Thanks! Still not real yet lol
Pretty sure nothing prepares you for it. Well except prepping with a new car
Old 12-23-14, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That shock of them saying "there's number one, and theres number two!" during the sonogram...wow lol
Old 12-23-14, 05:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Ugh.

It had been several years since I had really looked at any minivans. Since my wife is having twins in...oh my god...less than two months ...we're considering the likelihood that a minivan will be a vehicle that would make our lives easier.

I'm not one who is morally opposed to a minivan.

I've always resisted luxury minivans, but I might pull back from that opinion some.

First, it's good, IMO, that you have at least some open mind on minivans, and haven't fallen hook, line, and sinker for this stuff from the auto press and enthusiasts that minivans are unfit for any normal American male. The first secular responsibility of ANY father, of course, is to his family. And, for many families, there simply is no better or more useful body style on the market, even if (I'll grant you) they are not very exciting to drive.

Since you apparently find the interiors of both the Sienna and the Odyssey not to your taste, may I suggest you take look at the Chrysler Town and Country? True, it's a Chrysler product, and, true, it likely won't have Sienna or Odyssey reliability (though many Odysseys have had unreliable door-hardware on them). But the TC has much of the same impressive interior decor and jewel-look gauges as on the new, latest 300s....which is head and shoulder above past Chryslers.

And even if reliability is an issue, you seem to have a long relationship with your local Chrysler/Jeep dealership from the Grand Cherokees you have owned, so as at least a repeat (or double-repeat) customer with a TC, they will probably do all they can for you if you have any issues.

Old 12-23-14, 05:30 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve,I agree with Mike.
Nicer looking interior and you lease.So out of warranty issues aren't a concern.
Plus like Mike also said,you have a relationship with the dealer.
Old 12-23-14, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My issue with the current T&C is safety, the T&C did very poorly in the latest IIHS small overlap crash test:

As compared to the Odyssey, which did very well:

The T&C should be all new coming up though, I'm sure the new one would do better.
Old 12-23-14, 05:44 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had 2 T&C rentals in the last year. They dash is indeed soft touch but the interior as a whole isn't going to blow you away. I am glad someone finally called out the Odyssey on that nasty dash. If the V-class had a more attractive exterior it'd be perfect for you. Congrats on the twins!
Old 12-23-14, 05:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks! It really is shame about the Odyssey too, its the best looking van (by FAR), I like how it drives, its the biggest...thats just a glaring issue. My sister in law has the previous Odyssey and I almost feel like its better...
Old 12-23-14, 06:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i checked out a sedona recently (didn't drive though, was in a hurry). REALLY nice interior. the SX Limited wasn't available when i looked which has the nappa leather for even nicer interior.

Quick Reply: Went minivan shopping the other day...