Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2015 Nissan Juke

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2015 Nissan Juke

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-3181436/

Engine: Turbo 1.6L I4
Power: 188 HP / 177 LB-FT
Transmission: CVT
Drivetrain: Front-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Front
Curb Weight: 3,026 LBS
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 35.9 CU-FT (max)
MPG: 28 City / 32 HWY
Warranty: 3 Years / 36,000 Miles
Base Price: $20,250
As-Tested Price: $26,065

I didn't always like the Nissan Juke. When it launched in 2010, I just couldn't get over the way it looked – it came across as super weird, and kind of hideous at first blush. But I slowly warmed up to the funky little crossover/hatchback/thing, and after spending some time behind the wheel, I really learned to love Nissan's small wonder. It's a genuine hoot to drive, offering hot hatch-like thrills in a package that doesn't look like anything else on the road. The Nismo and RS models that followed only increased my ardor for the turbocharged Juke, and now, I find myself smiling whenever I see one of these little guys bombing down the road.

Going into 2015, Nissan hasn't really made major changes, but there are a host of smaller improvements on hand to make it a more well-rounded vehicle than ever before. And to up the funk factor for the new year, there are a slew of customization options now available to customers through the Juke Color Studio – for better or worse.

Following my first drive of the third-generation Nissan Murano in Napa Valley, I took the refreshed Juke for a spin to see if the 2015 model year improvements still make for a car that's good to drive and easy to use, while bursting with the same personality that slowly won me over in the first place.

Drive Notes
  • Powering the Juke is the same turbocharged, 1.6-liter inline-four as last year, with 188 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque on tap. I've always liked this engine – it's punchy and feels good when being worked via the 2014 model's six-speed manual transmission. There's lots of power down low, with a nice bit of boost mid-range through each gear. Altering the drive modes between Normal and Sport heighten this, and honestly, the turbo/manual setup in this front-wheel-drive Juke was kind of hilarious – a real treat.
  • Sadly, Nissan will no longer offer the manual transmission on non-Nismo Juke models for 2015, so you're stuck with the continuously variable transmission. Bummer. In sport mode, the usually good Xtronic CVT tends to rev high and hold itself there – a tendency of older such transmissions that's seriously off-putting, especially for enthusiasts.
  • Still, the Juke is available with a choice of either front- or all-wheel drive. The FWD Juke is fun, offering decent amounts of grip with a hint of predictable understeer. But I've always liked the four-season factor of the AWD Juke. I've never driven the high-riding hatch in the snow, but I imagine with the proper tires, this thing would be excellent.
  • The rest of the driving aspects haven't changed since the last time I left the Juke. The steering is nicely weighted and direct, the brakes feel a little mushy on first application but offer plenty of pedal feel after that, and the whole thing blasts down the road with a sort of fun that not many other small crossovers can match.
  • What has changed about the Juke for 2015 is its styling, though I won't fault you for not being able to immediately spot the differences. Up front, the already busy schnoz has been slightly redesigned, with reshaped turn signals (the top tier of lights), and new projector-beam headlamps worked into their middle-tier housings. The side indicators have moved to the mirrors, where they have an angular shape to mimic the lamps out front and the swoopy taillamps around back. And finally, some new colors are available, including the Solar Yellow you see here, not to mention all of the odd choices on tap in the aforementioned Color Studio.
  • Inside, it's more of the same – no big change here, aside from the addition of some NissanConnect tech and the inclusion of the company's excellent Around View Monitor. Cloth and leather seating surfaces are available, with glossy silver or red trim on the doors and transmission tunnel. (Side note: the red gloss on this test car matched with the yellow exterior paint created a sort of ketchup and mustard theme that I wouldn't recommend unless you're a hot dog enthusiast.)

Nissan's pricing for the 2015 Juke remains competitive, with the front-wheel-drive S starting at $20,250, not including $825 for destination. This represents an increase of $1,080 versus the 2014 model (the destination charge has increased by $15, too), but Nissan points out that the '15 Juke comes standard with a lot more kit, including a backup camera, Intelligent Key with pushbutton start, Bluetooth and more. Given its tiny size, the Juke has never felt inexpensive, but the price increase for such popular equipment seems fair to me, and with the new customization options on deck for 2015, it feels like Nissan's funky hatch is getting even more so – and judging by the model's continued strong sales, that's no bad thing.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/10/2...k-spin-review/
Old 12-26-14, 04:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

oh yikes lol !
Old 12-26-14, 05:27 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

The center console is supposed to look like a motorcycle tank.

To that, I say, "HA!"

Old 12-26-14, 06:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

it's tough to understand the target market for this. i guess it's for someone for whom the fiat isn't ugly enough and a mini costs too much.
Old 12-26-14, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's tough to understand the target market for this. i guess it's for someone for whom the fiat isn't ugly enough and a mini costs too much.
Although not every automotive design is a success, there's a potential market for almost anything, even if small. I can remember, around 10 years ago (maybe a little earlier), after my old supervisor retired, he and I were at a local Pontiac/GMC shop getting him a new Yukon XL. While we were checking out a silver one without a lot of options (which he bought that day), a relatively young couple came by and immediately fell in love with a white Aztek sitting on the lot (no, I'm not kidding). A quick inspection (on their part), a quick test drive, some paperwork, and they went home with it a couple of hours later.

Having said that, though, on this particular Juke (the one in the OP)......yellow paint with a bright red center console and door trim? While maybe not impossible...good luck selling it. I think it's going to stay on the lot (or in the showroom) for awhile. The last time I saw something that garish, color-wise, was probably the ill-fated VW Harlequin color-scheme for the Golf and Jetta.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-26-14 at 07:28 PM.