Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sienna SE over Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

Yeah I usually go to the DC show a couple of times. I guess we'll have to see since my wife will be pretty close at that point!
Pick up free show-passes at any regular auto-dealership in the D.C. area (it's the dealer-association, WANADA, that actually sponsors the show). The passes usually start coming in about a week or so before the show.
Old 12-07-14, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I always mean to do that but never get around to it lol
Old 12-08-14, 09:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i got two offers on the table from the same dealer. '14 Sienna SE with moonroof and navigation selling for $30500, discount almost $7k off msrp, and a refreshed '15 Sienna SE without any option for $33500, only discount of $3k off msrp. for $3k less, would you get the loaded '14 SE although with the pre-refreshed interior?
I'd lean toward the loaded '14, but I haven't seen either interior.
Old 12-09-14, 08:19 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! Yep she's due in February. Wasn't unplanned, but wasn't planned either LOL.
Sounds familiar. 2nd child planned - got #2 and #3. Had to trade in 11 month old 2011 Highlander (wife loved it) and get a 2012 Sienna (not a fan of vans at all).

It has been a great vehicle - might replace it with a 2015 since lease is up in a few months.

My cousin is the lead mechanic at a large Toyota dealer in the Chicago burbs and tells me he's seen the power folding seats have some issues in the Limited.. so we're glad we went with the XLE.

AWD seems like a nice feature, but with the run flat tires instead of the compact spare (harsher ride, more expensive tires) AND the lower MPG, I'm glad we just have the FWD version. It did just fine in the Chicago winter last year.
Old 12-09-14, 08:29 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Sounds familiar. 2nd child planned - got #2 and #3. Had to trade in 11 month old 2011 Highlander (wife loved it) and get a 2012 Sienna (not a fan of vans at all).

It has been a great vehicle - might replace it with a 2015 since lease is up in a few months.

My cousin is the lead mechanic at a large Toyota dealer in the Chicago burbs and tells me he's seen the power folding seats have some issues in the Limited.. so we're glad we went with the XLE.

AWD seems like a nice feature, but with the run flat tires instead of the compact spare (harsher ride, more expensive tires) AND the lower MPG, I'm glad we just have the FWD version. It did just fine in the Chicago winter last year.
That's something I hated and you'll have to grind it out until the day comes to replace them. (If i had to do it again I'd have them replaced at the dealership with another and have the discount be apllied to the new set if they could do that.) Run flats great in theory but not so good when it comes to executing a comfortable ride. But it did get my wife to a safe place when it counted so only just a little grumbling here and gratitude. I was glad when I was able to trade them.in for the Continental control contact! It was like going from hard steel toe hiking boots to soft tennis shoes.
Old 12-09-14, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds familiar. 2nd child planned - got #2 and #3.
Thats what I keep telling myself, it could have been twins the second go round haha. So, how much hell am I in for?
Old 12-09-14, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thats what I keep telling myself, it could have been twins the second go round haha. So, how much hell am I in for?

Just look at it as one more child to help take care of you and your wife in old age.
Old 12-09-14, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just look at it as one more child to help take care of you and your wife in old age.
Haha, absolutely! Better odds that one of the two will become some highly compensated doctor or something and be able to keep me in the manner of which I've become accustomed
Old 12-09-14, 10:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

After owning a Sienna limited, I dont think we would ever consider an SUV until the kids are much older. More space, they dont roll over as easily,and getting in and out is much easier for pretty much everyone. Its a prefernce thing but if you can get over the minivan image its an AMAZING vehicle to own if you have kids.
Old 12-09-14, 11:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

first 4 years are hard, then it gets easier :P

seriously tho, if your 1st born is still under 3 years, its going to be hard... harder than 2x of what it is now... simply because you (or wife) cant do it alone if needed.

been there, done that, now they are a bit older and cant be happier! Good luck!
Old 12-10-14, 06:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The twins are our first, so we're going from 0-60 haha
Old 12-10-14, 07:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, here's something you can take them from 0-60 IN. Recaro, of course, makes some of the best regular car seats on the market, so they can easily accommodate a pair of twins.

(Interestingly, though, I looked on Recaro's web-site, and I didn't see a large double-seat with a partition in it, that can be shared by two twins....just single seats)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-14 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 09:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

oh dude, awesome.. congrats.. i am not going to lie to you, its gonna be tough but very rewarding of course!
Old 12-10-14, 11:57 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad the twins weren't our first kids - but on the other hand, you will never know how much easier taking care of only one is.

So my twins are 2-1/2 and my oldest just turned 7 (all girls). We waited because we didn't want two kids in diapers at the same time (backfire!) She is able to help and is thankfully pretty self sufficient, but there's no doubt about it - you WILL BE EXHAUSTED for the next few years. I consider myself a pretty hands-on dad - not afraid to do any part of things (except fixing hair, sorry mom, that's all you).

I think the REAL hell is going to be when they're in their teens.
Old 12-10-14, 12:46 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad the twins weren't our first kids - but on the other hand, you will never know how much easier taking care of only one is.

So my twins are 2-1/2 and my oldest just turned 7 (all girls). We waited because we didn't want two kids in diapers at the same time (backfire!) She is able to help and is thankfully pretty self sufficient, but there's no doubt about it - you WILL BE EXHAUSTED for the next few years. I consider myself a pretty hands-on dad - not afraid to do any part of things (except fixing hair, sorry mom, that's all you).

I think the REAL hell is going to be when they're in their teens.
I was exhausted with one! Oh and +1 on the Recaro. Great seats. Also make sure to send in the warranty card that comes with anything seat/crib related so they can get a hold of you in case there is a recall.

Quick Reply: Sienna SE over Highlander?