Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Honda Accord v6 Touring vs 2014 GS350 Regarding Paint and materials.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

maybe honda/acura have been trying to figure out how to do it without adding a lot of weight. apparently the new cars use sound-deadening foam sprayed inside pillars, beams, etc..
I think that is what they did with the new RLX....sprayed sound-deadener up into a lot of the cavities. And, yes, it worked.
Old 08-11-14, 06:52 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that is what they did with the new RLX....sprayed sound-deadener up into a lot of the cavities. And, yes, it worked.
Good to hear. I think they also were using the speakers for noise cancelation if memory serves?
Old 08-11-14, 07:33 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The comparison doesn't make sense I agree. The Accord is a great driving appliance, and if I were buying a car in that segment, its probably the car I would buy. BUT, its not comparable to the GS. The GS is a higher end car built to a higher standard, built for someone who enjoys owning and driving a car. Its a RWD/AWD car with a longitudinally mounted engine. Performance is much better, ride drive and handling are much better. The GS is much more refined in everything it does. Much better materials inside, much more comfortable. The ownership experience is much better, better dealers, more prestige, more enjoyable to own if you're a car person and perceive the value that a car of the caliber of the GS brings to the table.

If you don't see the value in those things, then buy the Accord. As I said in one of your other threads, I have a great friend who has owned 7 Accords. He can buy any car he wants, but he is not a car person, a car is just transportation to him, and thus he doesn't understand why I would spend $60,000 on a Lexus GS when he can buy a 4cyl Accord with leather seats (the reason he chose leather is simply to be able to clean it well after his dogs are in the car) for under $30k. Thats fine, but as a car enthusiast thats not for me.

We all have luxury items we see value in. He for instance belongs to a country club and plays golf. That expense is more than it costs me to drive my GS. I belonged to a country club when I was a kid and to me...its not something I would spend the money on. Thats fine. Some people spend 5 figures on a watch...I don't see the value but they do. Thats fine. Some people spend $300 on a bottle of wine. I don't see the value but they do. Thats fine.

If you don't understand why the GS is better than the Accord, spending the money on the GS would be a waste and you should buy the Accord. Case closed. Go buy it and stop starting these threads lol.
Perfectly said.
Old 08-13-14, 12:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The comparison doesn't make sense I agree. The Accord is a great driving appliance, and if I were buying a car in that segment, its probably the car I would buy. BUT, its not comparable to the GS. The GS is a higher end car built to a higher standard, built for someone who enjoys owning and driving a car. Its a RWD/AWD car with a longitudinally mounted engine. Performance is much better, ride drive and handling are much better. The GS is much more refined in everything it does. Much better materials inside, much more comfortable. The ownership experience is much better, better dealers, more prestige, more enjoyable to own if you're a car person and perceive the value that a car of the caliber of the GS brings to the table.

If you don't see the value in those things, then buy the Accord. As I said in one of your other threads, I have a great friend who has owned 7 Accords. He can buy any car he wants, but he is not a car person, a car is just transportation to him, and thus he doesn't understand why I would spend $60,000 on a Lexus GS when he can buy a 4cyl Accord with leather seats (the reason he chose leather is simply to be able to clean it well after his dogs are in the car) for under $30k. Thats fine, but as a car enthusiast thats not for me.

We all have luxury items we see value in. He for instance belongs to a country club and plays golf. That expense is more than it costs me to drive my GS. I belonged to a country club when I was a kid and to me...its not something I would spend the money on. Thats fine. Some people spend 5 figures on a watch...I don't see the value but they do. Thats fine. Some people spend $300 on a bottle of wine. I don't see the value but they do. Thats fine.

If you don't understand why the GS is better than the Accord, spending the money on the GS would be a waste and you should buy the Accord. Case closed. Go buy it and stop starting these threads lol.
It is apples to oranges. I think many people see 4 doors, similar size, they both got engines and steering wheels and they can't understand why one is worth so much more.

Recently I had some seat time behind an Accord SE, honestly for all intents and purposes the car is perfect for 99% of the people in the world and I couldn't find much fault with it at all. Its well done and honestly I can see why Acura has such a tough time with their own car. If the Accord was badged Acura TJX or whatever it would fit right in.

Compared to the GS, its pretty clear as soon as you close the door. The GS leather is substantially better, the steering wheel feels better and you get the real wood/aluminum touches. The dash has stiching and soft touch materials. You have heated/cooled seats. You can have HUD. The ML sound system speaks for itself. You have 8/16/18 way seats. The doors close more solid. The panel gaps inside and out are smaller. The car is quieter, much sportier yet rides better. The GS has a sophisticated suspension to the Accord which now lost the DWB setup. The GS F-sport offers a 2 piece front brake rotor, 19" wheels/tires etc etc.

Then there are intangibles. Honda sells near 400k Accords a year. they are common as the cold. The GS sells 20k units a year. which is 5% of the Accord volume. People pay to have something that is more rare around. Clearly the badge/panache speaks for itself.

Most people cannot justify or care about the difference and its why the Accord has gotten bigger, less sporty and sells better than ever. Honda has done an amazing job with the current car, I like it a lot. That said there was never one time I said "mann I could have saved 30k and gotten this instead".

Old 08-13-14, 04:37 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't really comparing the cars, they are different. The basic idea was if I was going to be a cheap *** I could get the honda but now I changed my mind. If I am going to be a cheap *** I will get the 2015 camry or used gs 2013. And if I was going to go all out I get the new GS, either way I would still get sort of the same new tech.
Old 08-13-14, 04:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I'd buy the Accord over a 2015 Camry no question...
Old 08-14-14, 09:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by krava
Wasn't really comparing the cars, they are different. The basic idea was if I was going to be a cheap *** I could get the honda but now I changed my mind. If I am going to be a cheap *** I will get the 2015 camry or used gs 2013. And if I was going to go all out I get the new GS, either way I would still get sort of the same new tech.
Why are you choosing a 2015 Camry over a Accord V6 Touring? Have you sat in one or test drove the Camry?

The Accord or Camry are not cheap cars or a car for a "cheap ***", they are still pretty pricey mid sized sedans, especially the V6 models, but offer a lot of car for the money. A cheap car would be a 25 year old econo car that used to be a rental you got a great deal on.
Old 08-14-14, 10:34 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Accord... but I'm biased
Old 08-14-14, 05:52 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Optima SXL over both but the accord comes in second and I'll admit I believe to be the better car. I just don't keep cars long and would rather like what I drive for a little more $$.