Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

$100 to Test Drive Lincoln

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The offers are usually for brands/models struggling for recognition in the market.
That pretty much sums it up IMO.
Old 08-02-14, 04:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I rarely take liberties in speaking for others rather than myself (though I do, of course, in Car Chat, speak for myself enough times). But, after reading a number of posts here (including some of my own), I think it needs to be pointed out this whole idea of cash for test-drives is not necessarily just one big Bribe-a-Thon. Sure, it's nice to get a money gift for a test-drive (usually in a pre-paid, general-use credit card or a voucher for a nice meal).....I won't deny that. (After my auto reviews, for instance, I often get all my notes and thoughts together over a nice meal in a restaurant I like).

But, as auto enthusiasts, if most of you think anywhere near like I do, our love of cars, driving, the auto industry, and when and how we look at new vehicles and test-drive does not (and should not), rely on how much some marketing Guru at Ford, Lincoln, Buick, Cadillac, Mazda, Lexus or any other company thinks one of our test-drives is worth. It certainly wasn't Buick's cash-card offer, for example, that sold me on a Verano, but the car itself...I would have bought one, offer or no offer. Same with the Outback I had earlier, and the Lexus IS300 I had before that. So, if we can get a nice money-card for it, fine....there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. But I, for one, would certainly not wait for a cash-offer for a test drive on a car I was personally interested in, curious about, .....or that someone else had asked me for my opinion on. For instance, this year, Lincoln was signing up people at the D.C. show for $50 Mastercards for any Ford/Lincoln test-drive. I, of course, wanted to use it on the new MKC...which was Lincoln's main display at the show. But the cards expired March 30, and the MKC wasn't due to be released until April 30 ( it actually ended up being almost three months late). So, since I was going to wait and, card or no card, drive the MKC whenever it came out, I decided to use the card instead on a then-available MKX review. A certain CL member was considering either a Lincoln MKX or a top-line Ford Edge (the two are basically rebadges), and wanted my opinion of them, so I figured there was a sensible use for the card.

Then, right after my MDX test-drive, that happens......I get a Lexus offer in the mail for a test-drive $75 Visa-card (they didn't sign people up at the D.C. show like Ford/Lincoln did). I used it on a 3Gen IS, as I had owned an original one and wanted to see how the new one compared to the previous two generations. Many of you probably read that review....so I won't re-hash it here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-02-14, 04:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall, what is your point?
Old 08-02-14, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
mmarshall, what is your point?
My point (which IMO was clear from what I posted) is that the true love of cars is not something that can (or should) be determined by gimmicky marketing offers. If one can do that and make a few $$$$ to boot, sure...nothing wrong with that. But IMO it shouldn't be the primary motive for a test drive.

That's one reason why I like Motorweek's John Davis (I've known him for some time as an acquaitence)...a friendly down-to-Earth guy that loves just reviewing cars for reviewing sake, not because of a love of speed, power, glamour, or a highly-paid position in the auto press, etc.......(though he is in fact part of the auto press).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-14 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-02-14, 04:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
My point (which IMO was clear from what I posted) is that the true love of cars is not something that can (or should) be determined by gimmicky marketing offers. If one can do that and make a few $$$$ to boot, sure...nothing wrong with that. But IMO it shouldn't be the primary motive for a test drive.
What you are obviously not getting is that offering a card to test drive a luxury car (supposed tier 2) makes the brand look weak.
Old 08-02-14, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What you are obviously not getting is that offering a card to test drive a luxury car (supposed tier 2) makes the brand look weak.
Not necessarily. I don't agree that simply offering pre-paid test-drives makes a brand look weak. That's OUR job (yes, you and me), as potential car-buying customers (or representing potential customers who ask us), to determine that when we actually look at and test-drive the vehicle. Just within the last 2 years, for example, sometimes with cards, I've seen some vehicles that I test drove I was generally impressed with (2015 Lincoln MKC, 2015 Chrysler 200, 2014 Chevy Impala, 2012/2013 Dodge Ram, 2013 Ford Fusion, 2012 Buick Verano, 2013 Lexus GS350); others that IMO were clearly unimpressive (2014 Lincoln MKX, 2012 Honda Civic, 2012 Acura ILX), and a number of others in between.

I was slow to change my mind on Hyundais and Kias, for instance, because I spent a number of years in my adult life watching them make junk and rip a lot of people off. When they finally got serious about building respectable cars (starting in the late 1990s, but really accelerating after 2000), it was the new vehicles that proved themselves (and why they now had a 10/100 and 5/60 warranty), not marketing gimmicks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-14 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-02-14, 04:57 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not sure that is true for many of us. Cadillac gave $100 cards during the time the press was raving about the CTS. I see it as a fairly cheap way to get potential buyers to actually try your new toy. Recent Lincolns have not sold well, so this a way to get people to try their new models. At least Lincoln is pre-qualifying people. Cadillac did not qualify anyone so had lots of testers who could not buy.

When the updated LS came out, I got an invitation to test drive it and a gift card for doing so.

Steve
Old 08-02-14, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Also, keep in mind that each $50, $75, or $100 that goes out to pay for a Visa/Mastercard or free meals is money that the automaker is NOT using in the design/assembly part of the operation to actually improve their vehicles or make them more reliable. It's basically just PR ad money.
Old 08-02-14, 05:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm not sure that is true for many of us. Cadillac gave $100 cards during the time the press was raving about the CTS. I see it as a fairly cheap way to get potential buyers to actually try your new toy. Recent Lincolns have not sold well, so this a way to get people to try their new models. At least Lincoln is pre-qualifying people. Cadillac did not qualify anyone so had lots of testers who could not buy.

When the updated LS came out, I got an invitation to test drive it and a gift card for doing so.

Steve
The invitation is fine. But offering a card makes the brand image look week. I would accept a gift card on Hyundai, Scion, Mitsubishi or maybe a Buick, but a brand that is supposed to be luxury should not be doing the gift card gimmick.
Old 08-02-14, 05:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The invitation is fine. But offering a card makes the brand image look week. I would accept a gift card on Hyundai, Scion, Mitsubishi or maybe a Buick, but a brand that is supposed to be luxury should not be doing the gift card gimmick.
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're essentially saying is that you won't go look at or test-drive some brands unless you actually get paid for it?

And you are often claiming Lexus to be a Tier-1 luxury nameplate (which I agree, at least for the LS and LX,and borderline for the GS). But Lexus just sent me a card-solicitation *****-nilly in the mail....they didn't even do it face-to-face at the D.C. auto show like other companies did). Basically, that's like shooting at moving ducks in a carnival....you'll get some, others you won't.
Old 08-02-14, 05:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're essentially saying is that you won't go look at or test-drive some brands unless you actually get paid for it?

And you are often claiming Lexus to be a Tier-1 luxury nameplate (which I agree, at least for the LS and LX,and borderline for the GS). But Lexus just sent me a card-solicitation *****-nilly in the mail....they didn't even do it face-to-face at the D.C. auto show like other companies did). Basically, that's like shooting at moving ducks in a carnival....you'll get some, others you won't.
Ok mmarshall, I am going to correct as you are wrong. The entire Lexus line up is Tier 1.
Old 08-02-14, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Ok mmarshall, I am going to correct as you are wrong. The entire Lexus line up is Tier 1.

What I was referring to on the right-vs-wrong was not the Tier-1 issue, but whether you would go a look at some vehicles without getting paid for it. On the Tier-1 issue, sorry, IMO you are way off. No offense to your avitar/nameplate (since CT is part of your signature) but IMO, a CT, NX, or IS is not a Tier-One vehicle.....and I say that having owned an IS. In fact, IMO, except for the CT's wood/lNuLuxe interior (which, I'll admit, is a darn good imitation leather) and the mouse-type controller, it is, IMO, more of a Toyota than a Lexus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-14 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-02-14, 06:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I guess I'm not deep thinking the issue as much as you guys. I see it as: I have the time - I like cars - It's interesting to drive something I wouldn't necessarily consider buying - $100 bucks or so makes it a fun outing....
Old 08-02-14, 06:11 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Also, keep in mind that each $50, $75, or $100 that goes out to pay for a Visa/Mastercard or free meals is money that the automaker is NOT using in the design/assembly part of the operation to actually improve their vehicles or make them more reliable. It's basically just PR ad money.
All car brands allocate huge amounts for marketing and promotions. The $$'s for these programs are budgeted so they don't really effect things on the production side.
Old 08-02-14, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
All car brands allocate huge amounts for marketing and promotions. The $$'s for these programs are budgeted so they don't really effect things on the production side.
True, but one pie can only be cut so many ways. if one person gets a bigger slice, the one next to him or her will get a smaller one.

Quick Reply: $100 to Test Drive Lincoln