Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dodge Viper Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-15, 05:47 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ The LS7 V8 in the C6 Z06 redlined at 7000rpm and pulled hard all the way to that limit.

You can make a pushrod engine that loves to rev(think NASCAR), but the ultimate redline will never be as high as a DOCH engine. And engines like the Audi R8's V8 and the 458 Italia V8 don't have near the low or midrange torque of a pushrod motor, you really have to rev them to get the most out of them. Driving a Corvette on a road course, its hard to get caught in the wrong gear because of the huge powerband.
Old 05-12-15, 06:52 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup really fair analysis.

This should serve to silence any ignorant fool that spouts things like "Overhead Valve = Antique Garbage" or "Who the hell uses 50-60 year old ancient tech"?

When looking at the "OHC vs OHV" debate, it is important to note that there is NO SORE LOSER OR LAUGHING STOCK.

All have their pros and cons.

Peace out
Old 05-12-15, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2016 Dodge Viper ACR priced from $117,895

DODGE OPENS ORDER BANKS FOR NEW 2016 DODGE VIPER ACR

The fastest street-legal Viper track car ever offers a tremendous value for performance

May 12, 2015 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Viper enthusiasts with the need for ultimate handling, performance and road course domination, as well as the ability to drive their Viper home from the track, can now place their orders for the fastest street-legal Viper track car ever. The Dodge brand has announced pricing and opened order banks for the recently introduced 2016 Dodge Viper ACR.

Unveiled last week at the revamped Conner Avenue Assembly Plant in Detroit, the American Club Racer model of the iconic, hand-built American supercar will have a starting U.S. Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $117,895 (excluding destination and gas guzzler tax).

"Bringing our street-legal Dodge Viper ACR back is going to arm our track enthusiasts with the ultimate weapon to dominate road courses across the country," said Tim Kuniskis, President and CEO - Dodge and SRT Brands, FCA - North America. "This is without a doubt the best Viper ACR ever. The latest in aerodynamic, braking and tire technology will ensure its legendary performance reputation around the world."

Originally introduced in 1999 and last available for the 2010 model year, the Viper ACR has a long-standing legacy as the ultimate street-legal track car for club racing. The new 2016 model honors that performance legacy with significant aerodynamic and suspension upgrades, new Carbon Ceramic brakes with six-piston calipers and high-performance tires specifically designed for ACR. Standard equipment highlights include:

Delivers ultimate in stopping performance with unprecedented brake fade resistance through ACR-exclusive Carbon Ceramic Matrix 15-inch two-piece rotors and six-piston front calipers from Brembo®
Unique track suspension features 10-setting, double-adjustable, Bilstein coil-over racing shocks and unique race alignment delivering up to 3 inches of suspension height adjustment for fine-tuning corner weight
The latest race tire compound technology with massive Kumho® Ecsta V720 high-performance tires (295/25/19 front, 355/30/19 rear), designed and developed specifically for the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR, delivers laps times that are 1.5 seconds faster than off-road only race tires
Combination of suspension, aero treatment and ACR-specific tires delivers sustainable 1.5 g cornering during high-speed turns
Lightweight carpet, minimal three speaker audio and manual seats designed to manage weight and maintain optimal 50/50 weight distribution
Powered by iconic, hand-built 8.4-liter V-10 engine rated at 645 horsepower and 600 lb.-ft. of torque – the most torque of any naturally aspirated sports-car engine in the world
Unique Alcantara hand-crafted interior to assist driver stability under high G-loading features iconic 'ACR' dash badge and accent stitching
Offers '1 of 1' customization option for the ultimate personalized Viper track car
Optional ACR Extreme Aero Package (late availability) delivers nearly 1 ton of peak downforce at top speed through massive adjustable dual-element carbon fiber rear wing, rear carbon fiber diffuser, unique SRT hood with removable louvers, detachable extension for the front splitter and additional dive planes

Production of the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR will begin in third quarter 2015 at the Conner Avenue Assembly Plant. Vehicles will start arriving in dealerships in the third quarter of 2015.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/12/2...r-acr-pricing/
Old 05-12-15, 06:41 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exhaust notes from the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR.
Old 05-12-15, 06:46 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Great write ups Guys! I was so Glad they Finally went back to the Gen.II Body Style! I never really liked the Gen. 3-4's as much because they looked too much like the Vettes! jmo! Actually, my next Brite Blue Car was going to be the 96'-97' GTS but i just happened to stumble in with my wife when she was getting her LS460 & then i saw the Blue RC-F on the Showroom Floor & she's the one that actually talked me into getting it! But, i do have the 00' Steel Gray RT/10 (it was always my Favorite Color & this was the Only year they made it).
Old 05-14-15, 09:50 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The 2015 Dodge Viper SRT, with its predatory 8.4-liter V-10 engine and curves in all the right places, has added just enough creature comforts to take some of the sting out of the Viper's considerable bite.
Old 05-18-15, 05:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/dodge-v...e-sports-cars/

The Dodge Viper Is the Last of the Truly Insane Sports Cars

LAST WEEK, DODGE ANNOUNCED a new version of its Viper sports car. The Viper ACR—for American Club Racer—is the best, strongest, fastest version of a machine that is already insanely, impractically capable. And it is a throwback—the last of a kind—to the way every fast car used to be.

The Viper is to automobiles as a nine-pound sledge is to carpentry: too large and brutal for the job, but ridiculously entertaining to wield. It is long and low, with a massive V-10 and a hood the length of an aircraft carrier. With stability control off, keeping a Viper’s rear tires intact is about as possible as building a particle accelerator in your basement.

And then there’s the ACR. It’s all that, and more. The letters are a rarely used Dodge acronym; when applied to a production machine, they signify a car aimed squarely at the track. Unlike some car companies, where performance badges are applied *****-nilly, Chrysler doesn’t throw ACR around. There were two Dodge Neon ACRs, and there have been two previous Viper ACRs. No more.

Nor is the capability mere hype. ACRs typically feature stiffened suspensions, aerodynamic tweaks, minimal options, and other changes that make a car a pain in the *** on the street. Consequently, they sell in microscopic numbers. Dodge doesn’t care, because it’s a halo car for a halo car—a cred-building version of an already low-production machine.

The ACR is also designed to appease Viper Club of America members. According to stereotype, those people are:

1. Fanatical about the car.
2. Wealthy as a Clampett.
3. Built like John Goodman and possessed of multiple top-heavy ex-wives.
4. Half-insane body-building Texas ranchers (anecdotal, but I’ve met two).
5. Crazy for special editions.

VCOA members see the Viper as a religion, and they love track days like nobody else. And the stereotype hints at the car’s personality. Legend holds that the Dodge was designed to be a modern-day Shelby Cobra—big power, big stones, big risk of killing yourself—by a group of men that included Bob Lutz and Carroll Shelby. It’s also a leftover from the 1990s, when automakers still made strange decisions for the sake of cool. In that regard, it’s like the final Toyota Supra Turbo, with its obnoxious wing and extraordinary engine, or BMW’s first-generation M Coupe, which looked like a shoe.

The Viper launched in 1991. The current base model, which makes 645 horsepower, is more technologically advanced than its predecessors. Philosophically speaking, however, it’s the same: enormous engine, simple chassis, many compromises. For the price of a Porsche 911, you get a car that is a hundred times flashier and a hundred times less practical. The 8.4-liter (512 cubic-inch) V-10 sounds like a ‘roided-up truck engine because it is. The basic components—block, crankshaft, cylinder heads—were initially designed for a pickup. The manual gearbox—there has never been a Viper automatic, and hallelujah for that—can be difficult, and first gear will take you north of 60 mph. The interior is noisy and cramped on the best of days. The rocker-mounted exhaust pipes burn legs if you’re not careful getting out. The car didn’t even get electronic stability control until the government decreed it, in 2012.

Vintage-car collector and Shelby Cobra authority Colin Comer bought two first-generation Vipers new. “They were revolutionary for the time, both for what they were and were not,” he says. “The car performed like a Cobra, and it didn’t have crap you didn’t need. But it was also horribly uncomfortable and smelled like a melting plastic factory when it got hot. I lost the convertible top on mine at 100 mph on the first day. There was a loud noise, and then it was gone. It didn’t matter, because the top stunk. But for all the shortcomings, the car was a magnificent beast.”

The car’s roof blew off. And he still liked it.

The modern Viper, though much improved, remains an acquired taste. The interior is claustrophobic. The wheel is in your chest, and the pedals are at the end of a long, narrow alley. Visibility stinks. The whole package seems purposely intimidating.

Also great. Animal. The car looks like a cross between a woman’s leg and a cruise missile. At idle, the engine sounds like a garbage truck consuming a Honda; at full steam, it turns into an apocalyptic thrash that is in no way pleasant or musical. Ride quality is decent, but nothing special. Road noise is deafening in early cars, barely tolerable in later ones. The gearbox is the same Tremec six-speed used in a host of other cars, but something is different about it in the Viper—shifting from one gear to the next requires deliberate effort, as if you were doing something important. The lever feels large and indestructible, virtually begging you to thrash it.

Owners protest when engineers even hint at making the car more livable, and the Viper’s philosophy seems more out of time with every passing year. And yet Chrysler keeps building them. It keeps building them even when the assembly plant has occasionally been idled due to low demand. It keeps building them even though slow sales recently dictated a whopping 15 percent price cut.

Chrysler won’t do this forever, but it’s still doing it now, cheerfully, even willfully, past the point of sanity. The company line paints the car as a tool for boosting brand image. And yet Chrysler’s actions—such as canceling the car’s racing program immediately after a championship win—don’t always back that up.

You couldn’t start a project like this in post-bankruptcy Detroit. You probably couldn’t start it at any other automaker. Even Chrysler’s management has occasionally made noises about ditching the model. But the Viper inspires people, and, like Keith Richards, it seemingly cannot be killed. By way of example, there’s an apocryphal story regarding the current model’s design origin: Early in Chrysler’s bankruptcy troubles, the firm’s designers wondered if they’d have their jobs much longer. With little to do, styling chief Ralph Gilles told those people to sketch the next Viper. Just for grins, mind you, because the car essentially been cancelled.

The sketches were so compelling that Gilles took them up the chain of command. Senior management acquiesced, and the Viper lived on.

Whenever I ask about this story, Chrysler reps change the subject. But the fact that the tale keeps circulating is telling—people want the Viper to have an underdog origin. They want it to be a throwback to the weird old days of the business, when emotion ruled. (The other unkillable rumor holds that the current Viper was meant to be all-new and a platform twin to the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. When Mercedes and Chrysler split, the Germans gave Auburn Hills the finger, leaving with the SLS. Which might explain why the current Viper is little more than a heavy face-lift of its predecessor. Again, I don’t know if it’s true, but the story’s popularity supports the underdog thing.)

And then there’s the ACR: a compromise, compromised, for the sake of the die-hards. If it’s anything like previous ACR Vipers, it will be equal parts great and painful. The first ACR I met was a 2008 model, brand-new, at California’s Willow Springs Raceway. It was a development mule with a roll bar and racing harnesses, and it gave me my first *****-out laps at America’s oldest permanent road course. In the track’s final turn, a gut-check sweeper where aerodynamic grip is obvious, the ACR caused me to reconsider my relationship with my underwear.

I think of that moment often, usually when I’m bored in traffic. I’m not often nervous in cars, but here, I was tentative, a little spooked. And chiefly, when I climbed out, thrilled to be alive.

That’s the goal. We should be happy the ACR exists, happy it remains a throwback. Like the ordinary Viper, it reminds you that fast cars once existed in spite of our desire to survive. There was a time when climbing off a horse and into a driver’s seat seemed dangerous and stupid—an act to satisfy an urge. And like the best human urges, it got us out the door and into the world in spite of the consequences.

And now, what do we have? Enormously powerful and intelligent new cars, sure. But climate-controlled power seats and 4000-pound curb weights are more common than not. Modern electronics make it difficult for fast cars to fight back. And no automotive engineer worth his SAE membership will agree that speed still takes sacrifice.

These are fine things. But they illustrate how, more than ever, the Viper stands alone.

The Viper may not live forever, but it’s a reminder to appreciate the grand and weird while we have it. And on a personal note, it’s a reminder of how you can love something wonderful but never, ever want to bring it home. Or let it within a five-mile blast radius of your house.

I like Vipers. From the driver’s seat, I might even trust them. Thing is, I don’t trust myself. If I bought a Viper, animal urges would get the better of me. I’d inevitably do something very stupid.

On second thought, maybe that’s exactly why I need one.
Old 05-18-15, 12:04 PM
nick01
Pole Position

Saw my first one on the road today they did a great job with this one!
Old 01-09-16, 05:19 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

On this episode of Head 2 Head presented by Tire Rack, take a ride along with Jason Cammisa and Jonny Lieberman as our two hosts try to figure out which absolutely bonkers supercar is the best. Both the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and the Dodge Viper ACR make more horsepower than almost any other cars on earth. The two also feature levels of grip only seen on racecars. Speaking of racing, Jason and Jonny bring along a friend – racing pro and SCCA Hall of Famer Randy Pobst – to see how these two handle on the famous Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Records will fall, tires will smoke, and ears will bleed, as these two monsters are completely unleashed. Which one is best? You’ll have to watch and find out!
Old 01-09-16, 07:49 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw a late model Viper today at the parking lot, that thing sounds brutal

Funny we both have our 5 years old boys with us, so can't really ask for a race lmao
Old 01-10-16, 06:32 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

ACR is a beast, at least they are going out on a high note. Not many cars for a while are going to beat this car on the track.
Old 01-10-16, 08:09 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

Good ole American muscle....
Old 09-07-16, 08:47 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Dodge Sends Off 2017 Viper With Unchanged Prices And Specs

Pricing details for the Dodge Viper have been announced for the icon's very final model year.

For 2017, buyers will need to part with at least $92,990 including the $2,600 gas-guzzler tax and $2,498 destination charge, reports FCA Authority. That means the 2017 Viper is exactly the same price as the 2016 which is appropriate given the lack of any changes.

Beyond the entry-level Viper, the GT and GTC variants are offered from $100,993 while the better-equipped GTS commands $113,093.

Just an extra $10,800 is then needed to set up into the hardcore Viper ACR, the supercar's final send-off. While the 2017 Viper remains the same as the 2016 car, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles did release a handful of special edition models, all of which sold out soon after they were announced.

No date has been given for when the final Viper will roll off the production line.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/08/dod...iper-with.html
Old 10-05-16, 08:49 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Single Dodge Dealer Orders Almost All 2017 Vipers!

A Dodge dealership in Salisbury, North Carolina claims to have ordered almost all remaining 2017 model year Vipers.

Gerry Wood Dodge says that it has ordered 135 units of the 2017 Viper, a figure which the dealer says represents about “99 percent of remaining production”. As if that wasn't enough to attract customers to the dealership, three unique 'special edition' models have been specified by Gerry Wood Dodge.

The dealer has created these distinct models by scouring through the vehicle's extensive configurations options. The first, dubbed the ACR Solid Edition, is based around the Viper GTC installed with all the aerodynamic components of the ACR. Restricted to just 18 units, it is painted white and includes a number of carbon fiber options.

The second model has been dubbed the A/E Solid Edition and is again based on the GTC, now outfitted with the Advanced Aero package. It includes a selection of luxury elements, red exterior paint and will be limited to just 14 examples. Last but not least is the Viper Black Stripe Edition of which just six will be built.

Beyond offering customers bespoke Vipers, Gerry Wood Dodge has created a special VIP program that will include private pickups at the two local airports, a free track weekend and finance terms of up to 84 months.

According to Brad Wood from the dealership, “When it was finally confirmed that the Viper was going to cease production, I felt an obligation as a fan, owner, and Dodge dealer to help others experience the rare privilege of experiencing this amazing machine.”
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/sin...ost-every.html
Old 10-05-16, 08:50 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Watch Chris Harris' Full Dodge Viper ACR Review

Is there anything more to be said about the 645 hp Viper ACR? Well, yes, especially if the words come out of Chris Harris’ mouth.

By today’s automotive world’s technology and enviromental standards, the V10-powered sports car is somewhat of a living relic, which is one of the reasons why the FCA Group decided to discontinue the monumental machine. Alas, the Viper will become history, but not before leaving an ode to the gearheads enamored with traditional sports cars.

That’s where the Viper ACR comes into the picture, offering, in Harris’ own words, “a 645 hp and 600 pound-feet (813 Nm) of torque, rear-wheel-drive, manual-shifting, high-downforce bargain”. It’s basically a well-equipped $145,000 race-car, sporting a complex aerodynamic kit (with a rear wing the size of the moon), impressively wide tires, immense carbon ceramic brakes, and fully adjustable dampers, among other high-performance perks.

The end result surprised Harris quite a bit, saying the Viper is in a different league, as a track car, compared to Porsche’s 911 GT3 RS model. Unsurprisingly, since it cracked up an unofficial Nurburgring lap time of 7:01.67; that’s faster than everything, really, with only the Lambo Aventador SV, Porsche 918 Spyder, Radical SR8, and Radical SR8 LM being ahead of it.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/wat...viper-acr.html

Last edited by gymratter; 10-05-16 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Dodge Viper Thread