Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 12:27 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I'd forgotten about the rent thing.

I'm a tax accountant. Still have a lot to learn though, just finished my bachelor's degree in December and started at my firm in January.

The only reason I knew the apportionment is because I just did a big PITA return for a business(partnership) that operates in about 7 or 8 states, CA being one of them. Fortunately the majority of their operations are in NV where we don't have state income tax.
Good job on graduating and being a tax accountant. It's a great field and a specialized one. Yes, there's so much to learn. I've been in taxes for over 15 years and I'm still learning. I worked for two of the Big Four accounting firms, initials are E&Y and D&T.

As for TX state income tax there is none but I believe they still might have a Franchise Tax which is equity based, based off the balance sheet instead of the income statement. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, Toyota will still have to file a CA corporate income tax return but will pay less in CA state income taxes now that they'll be HQ'd in TX. Hopefully that savings will be used for R&D for Toyota/Lexus...

It's sad to see Toyota/Lexus leave CA but they gotta do what they gotta do. Jerry Brown should have never been our Governor. Meg Whitman should have been CA Governor. She's a billionaire and didn't need the job. She wanted to make CA a much better state than it is today..but oh well, as the commercials that used to run against Jerry Brown would say, "Jerry Brown for Governor, hide your wallet"...
Old 05-01-14, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Hopefully that savings will be used for R&D for Toyota/Lexus...
Yep.....body side moldings, hood-struts, and real spare tires don't cost THAT much.

It's sad to see Toyota/Lexus leave CA but they gotta do what they gotta do. Jerry Brown should have never been our Governor. Meg Whitman should have been CA Governor. She's a billionaire and didn't need the job. She wanted to make CA a much better state than it is today..but oh well, as the commercials that used to run against Jerry Brown would say, "Jerry Brown for Governor, hide your wallet"...
Gotta agree with you on Brown. And I noticed that Toyota sure didn't show any signs of leaving the state when Arnie the Terminator was in charge.
Old 05-01-14, 12:39 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

As for TX state income tax there is none but I believe they still might have a Franchise Tax which is equity based, based off the balance sheet instead of the income statement. Correct me if I'm wrong.
http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf...ise/rates.html

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-01-14 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-01-14, 01:18 PM
Trexus

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep.....body side moldings, hood-struts, and real spare tires don't cost THAT much.

The tax savings will be substantial...

Gotta agree with you on Brown. And I noticed that Toyota sure didn't show any signs of leaving the state when Arnie the Terminator was in charge.
CA tax rates and regulations might have been lesser then. Beside taxes aren't the major or only factor Toyota is leaving CA...
Old 05-01-14, 01:20 PM
Trexus

It appears TX rates are lower than CA...
Old 05-01-14, 01:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The tax savings will be substantial...
I was being mostly facetious in my earlier reply....but with at least some truth to it.

CA tax rates and regulations might have been lesser then. Beside taxes aren't the major or only factor Toyota is leaving CA...
For one thing, traffic in SoCal (just like here in the D.C. area) has reached intolerable levels. A business can't function effectively if its employees can't commute to and from the workplace with reasonable ease.
Old 05-01-14, 01:31 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I was being mostly facetious in my earlier reply....but with at least some truth to it.

For one thing, traffic in SoCal (just like here in the D.C. area) has reached intolerable levels. A business can't function effectively if its employees can't commute to and from the workplace with reasonable ease.
My ideal situation would be working from home, living in a very small town, but within a reasonable distance from a moderate sized city.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 05-01-14, 01:33 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 587 Likes on 406 Posts

Traffic is generally not as big of a deal as you think. Drive the same route for a week and you know how much time to give yourself to get to/from work. Is it perfect? No, because someone will always manage to get in an accident 1-2x a week, but generally speaking, traffic isn't crippling.
Old 05-01-14, 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Traffic is generally not as big of a deal as you think. Drive the same route for a week and you know how much time to give yourself to get to/from work. Is it perfect? No, because someone will always manage to get in an accident 1-2x a week, but generally speaking, traffic isn't crippling.
It is in some places. SoCal and D.C/Baltimore are, today, considered the two most congested areas in the country. The NJ/NYC/CT area, of course, has more total people. But because of the enormous cab and subway systems there, many more people use mass-transit, and fewer actually own and drive cars. The subway system in the D.C. area, though clean and generally low-crime, is a joke compared to that of NYC.
Old 05-01-14, 01:51 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 587 Likes on 406 Posts

Born and raised there so I'm familiar with the traffic It's just something you deal with and again, after a week or two of commutes, you generally know what to expect from a traffic standpoint
Old 05-01-14, 02:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Each major metro area has its own unique traffic issues. No way to avoid it. The Chicago area is no great shakes, but people get by.
Old 05-01-14, 03:17 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

... Hopefully that savings will be used for R&D for Toyota/Lexus...

Between that and the incentive provided by Perry, it should help them with their warranty recalls and unintended acc fines. I hope.
Old 05-01-14, 03:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Between that and the incentive provided by Perry, it should help them with their warranty recalls and unintended acc fines. I hope.
well, considering how much money they make, they dont need help for that... They will have 24-25 billion in profits for last FY, and thats their highest profit ever... and almost double the profit of next most profitable automobile company :-)
Old 05-01-14, 04:01 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
I wonder what the retention rate will be for Toyota once they start moving out. Nissan lost a lot of people when they moved.
I worked at Nissan in the diagnostic developement department as a service manual profreader until Sept 2006. Once we finished the 2007 online manuals the dept was shutdown because only 1 of the 8 people in the dept was willing to move to Tenn. Last I heard before I left Nissan was looking into outsourceing.
Old 05-01-14, 04:40 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Born and raised there so I'm familiar with the traffic It's just something you deal with and again, after a week or two of commutes, you generally know what to expect from a traffic standpoint
I belive the traffic in Atlanta & Dallas is worse than LA

Quick Reply: Toyota moving from Cali to Plano, Texas