Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Diesel, sorry you've had many minor issues with your Edge - are some to do with the MyFord Touch which i've heard nothing but bad about?

anyway, about those surprised at an explorer being $50k (this one is pretty close to top of the line), maybe you haven't looked lately (i hadn't) but the BASE price for a 2014 toyota land cruiser is over $79k. now i know a land cruiser is a very impressive vehicle, but 60+% more impressive? um, no.
Old 04-19-14, 09:40 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Congrats bro

The color matched door handles will be a nice touch especially since other than the badges there is no chrome trim. The custom tail gate height is great, something the RX doesn't even offer (even a new Pathfinder has that) . Wow so you have halogen headlights? Even the rear taillights are LED. Good news is at least the headlights are projector so perhaps you can just add a HID bulb later. How is the Sony Audio System? Dual Panel Moonroof and Blind-Spot Monitor
The color matching was SUPPOSED to happen before delivery, at the Chicago plant. Apparently they only do chrome or black (which we would have settled for had they communicated that to us), but with 2015 models the color matching door handles will be the norm. My buddy from Lexus made the same comment bout the Rx and the tailgate! As far as the bulbs go I am completely on board with you, in fact Friday I dropped by my buddys shop to see what we might do (we leased), and bulb replacement was on the list. Again, I know the 2015 model will have headlamp upgrades, I cannot recall if it will be HID or LED, but either will do. We had the Sony audio in the Edge, loved it there and here as well. Does the job quite well. Thanks for the love!

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
i like the new explorers. reminds me of a cheaper range rover. nice pick up. any interior pics?
Thanks! Definitely has some Rover in it, cheaper in price no doubt! The interior pics are on my to do list.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
definitely like the new ones.... since there painting the door handles have them paint the black lower body molding... Then it won't look so cheap like you said...

Your thoughts on the ecoboost V6?
On Friday we talked about doing just that, but my wife said she actually likes the black! I guess it will save me $1000. I asked the boss at Ford to (as its a lease) and he said go for it. We shall see if I can convince her, because you are 100% right. As far as the Ecoboost, I haven't taken it beyond 4000 rpm and red line is above 6000. I am going to use use about 5-600 miles for a "break-in" period. Any opinion on that? I am not sure they are needed now-a-days, seems to depend on who you ask. I cannot wait to open it up, red line those first 3 or 4 gears! The numbers are impressive (0-60 in 6.2 secs, quarter mile 14.6 secs). Close to my GS (5.5/5.6 secs and 14/14.1 secs).

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$50K list Explorers....wow!
Nice,though.
Yeah 50K! Sadly, the sport model is rare enough that I could not negotiate down as I did in 2012 with our 2013 Edge sport! If I didn't believe I was getting a lot of vehicle for the price I would have moved on. Originally I was set on the new Yukon Denali! That's $15-20K more MSRP!!

Originally Posted by jsanders
Beautiful. A great car for the short term, bad car for the long term so not for me unfortunately. And like someone said... 50k for a Ford... Wow. Seems like Ford is really on a roll lately.
Thank you! I tend to agree it is a short term fix, but for us it will haul the family around comfortably and in style. Word is the Explorer/Expedition could be up for the aluminum treatment a la the new F150. That could be delightful. Also, I refuse to purchase because of the expanding segment and gas mileage gains seen recently (Ecoboost/Ecotec engines to name a few). There are not many vehicles currently that I would consider (when you factor in price and amenities) in this mid-full size SUV category. That will hopefully change over the next few years.

Originally Posted by lamar411
Wow, looks great in Ruby Red. Post some interior pics when you can?
It really does look amazing. I am glad we custom ordered, it was worth the wait. Personally, with the gangs out here in California, I have always avoided red and blue. My wife insisted on red, and it did not disappoint. When I pulled up to pick it up last Wednesday, the car had not been washed, it looked bad, fresh off the rail. That was because I had told them I was going to have them do the interior/exterior treatment before taking it home. Well I decided to wait until the door handles are done before that, so they washed it for me. Blew my mind when they pulled it up (see pics above).

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Great pick up! I came very close to buying an Explorer Limited with a very similar pricetag but backed out. I wasn't impressed with the AWD system at all. I didn't like how small the mirrors were either. Everything else was great and I loved the deep well behind the third row seats, the tech, and the looks.
Thank you much! I am yet to test the AWD, hopefully the sport is not as disappointing. I totally see what you mean about the mirrors, I am still adjusting to that. I concur with everything you said in that last sentence. Quite sexy exterior.
Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Looks good but 50k for a Ford is high. Hope u got a nice deal.

You can get an RX for that and many other lux cars.
The Rx doesn't have the third row, and the F sport (only trim I would have considered) pushes $60K. The deal wasn't what I thought it was gonna be based on my last negotiation with them, but we leased. Minimum down, little over $600/month after taxes. A lot of car I believe.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
RX doesn't have a 3rd row seat. All of the crossovers with this amount of amenities and 3 rows of [habitable] seats are pushing 50k now.
And we felt the Explorer was better looking than all of them, with just as many amenities. We custom ordered, so we got exactly what we needed.

that was my first thought. prices have gone up since 2012
Well I had a "built proudly by the men and women of the UAW" sticker on the window!!!

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Congrats to you GSthe4th for your purchase. You definitely can't go wrong with the new Explorer

Anyways personally, I feel that this version and the Limited 4x4 (with 3.5 NA V6) are the only two variants that should be chosen for the new Explorer.

Hence, I didn't feel that the 4x2 version (with 2.0 T Ecoboost) is worth it for this car........but that's just me.
Thank you very much. I am glad to have your support on this one! Yeah keep that on the Escape and Edge! But I guess fuel economy is paramount, and that engine was formidable enough to make it into the new F150!

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Not a domestic car fan but the Ford products in their latest redesign are not to be messed with. The Explorer looks polished and of good value. Post interior pics when you get a chance.
Well said all around. I will provide those pics in the next day or two.

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Good luck with your Ford. I have a 2012 Ford Edge Sport and I had high hopes that Ford turned things around but their quality is still severely lacking and regretting buying a Ford. Just so many minor issues that I'm having to get something fixed at every oil change. Hope you have better luck with your Ford.
Sorry to hear that. We just traded in our 2013 Edge sport and had no problems over the 21 months we had it. I know the Explorer's have had issues (out since 2011 I believe) but most have been resolved.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Diesel, sorry you've had many minor issues with your Edge - are some to do with the MyFord Touch which i've heard nothing but bad about?

anyway, about those surprised at an explorer being $50k (this one is pretty close to top of the line), maybe you haven't looked lately (i hadn't) but the BASE price for a 2014 toyota land cruiser is over $79k. now i know a land cruiser is a very impressive vehicle, but 60+% more impressive? um, no.
Yes it is. One of the workers there ordered a white sport with EVERY option available, MSRP above $53K. It is currently on the lot for sale because she did not like the black/sienna interior!

Last edited by GSthe4th; 04-19-14 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-19-14, 10:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Diesel, besides the MyFord Touch issues, what else has gone wrong?
Old 04-20-14, 12:29 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What a beauty, love the color! Enjoy it, Had that as a rental once while my car was being serviced, well the Limited model, that thing was great, power was nice, and really smooth, the MyTouch though lagged at times, I felt was something I can get used to but I am a gadget freak I must say.
Old 04-20-14, 02:38 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

The Mytouch seems like one the better systems equipped in vehicles today. Is there really much lag?
Old 04-20-14, 05:04 AM
LexFather

Very nice pickup. I left very impressed with the Explorer I rented for a week.

Old 04-20-14, 07:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The Mytouch seems like one the better systems equipped in vehicles today. Is there really much lag?
reported problems go way beyond lag... crashing mostly. ford has made a lot of progress in fixing it though, so maybe it's all good now, i don't know. i met someone with an '11 edge and he was friendly until i asked 'how do you like your edge?' when he seemed to turn into a fuming chimney talking about myford touch.
Old 04-20-14, 08:23 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Makes me a little glad I just have sync without touch on my Fusion.

If you listen to consumer reports and the other mags, you'd think the engine was going to blow up due to MyFord Touch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-20-14, 10:56 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sync>Cue

every day out of the week
Old 04-20-14, 11:26 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusChris
What a beauty, love the color! Enjoy it, Had that as a rental once while my car was being serviced, well the Limited model, that thing was great, power was nice, and really smooth, the MyTouch though lagged at times, I felt was something I can get used to but I am a gadget freak I must say.
Thank you sir. Fortunately for me I am not electronically inclined! There is frustration, for the buyer, when the touted technology doesn't live up to its hype, in every way.

The only lag in our Edge was phone connection (not too often) which seemed to be exacerbated on the cold winter mornings.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Very nice pickup. I left very impressed with the Explorer I rented for a week.
Thank you sir. Glad to hear so many people are impressed with the Explorer, and the "new" Ford in general.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
reported problems go way beyond lag... crashing mostly. ford has made a lot of progress in fixing it though, so maybe it's all good now, i don't know. i met someone with an '11 edge and he was friendly until i asked 'how do you like your edge?' when he seemed to turn into a fuming chimney talking about myford touch.
It seemed the crashing with our Edge was related to updates to the software.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Makes me a little glad I just have sync without touch on my Fusion.

If you listen to consumer reports and the other mags, you'd think the engine was going to blow up due to MyFord Touch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Now that's comedy!
Old 04-20-14, 11:40 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Here are some pictures from the rear, showing the second and third row manipulation, creating plenty of cargo space. The last picture shows the ability to reverse the seats, sit on the trunk essentially, and watch a movie or practice. I am too tall to use it comfortably, but it is a nice touch.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1901.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1902.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1903.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1904.jpg  
Old 04-20-14, 11:53 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

More pictures showing the illuminated door sills, the 3 memory seat settings, the lovely lighting, front to back, and the dual panel moon roof.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1905.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1908.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1911.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1912.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1914.jpg  

Old 04-20-14, 12:01 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Yes my daughter gets her own bucket seat, and yes the leather is perforated like the front seats. I really like the captains chairs. We decided against the console for easy third row access. You can also see the leg room in the second row, that nice three-prong outlet (I was very impressed with that, because in the past I have actually needed it and not had it), and those vents in the ceiling, to keep the second and third row passengers comfy.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1916.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1919.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1920.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1922.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1923.jpg  

Old 04-20-14, 12:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

very nice. i've found my older explorer front seats to be the most comfortable i've ever owned. i get no back pain or aches from even very long drives.

now about that last rear seat pic you showed...

after a second read, i think i understand what you're saying, but i assume you left the headrest on the left seat there, which would be removed? in this config you actually sit on the seat BACK, and lean against the seat bottom, right? edit: i now see on the right seat that the headrest is there, just folded forward into the seat 'bottom' - surely that wouldn't be comfortable.
Old 04-20-14, 12:09 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

And the last few pictures, one showing the leg room in the third row. I was able to sit back there (I am 5'11") and take one of the pictures I posted earlier. It is ideal for children but you can fit an averaged size adult, somewhat comfortably. Then 2 more shots, one showing the storage in the center console, and an up close of the driver side door controls. The button (on the bottom left) near the mirror adjustments is used to fold the mirrors.

Hope you all enjoyed my novice work in this thread!
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1926.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1930.jpg   2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary-img_1933.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2014 Ford Explorer Sport-pics, minor commentary