Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
"the 5th Generation Malibu was reasonably successful, especially as a rental car."

That means it wasn't successful.
Well, I would agree, if you define the term "successful" as simply selling to the public in Camry/Accord numbers. But a vehicle can be successful in other ways than just selling half a million units a year. The 5Gen Malibu not only made a fair profit for GM, but, besides private-owners, enough other people drove enough Malibus, enough miles, at the rental firms, to keep the assembly lines going as those rental cars were worn, sold off as is, reconditioned/sold, and replaced with newer Malibus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-14 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 09:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
So I'm surprised no one has mentioned how dated the center stack is. This alone would be a deal-breaker for me. It is straight out of the 90's, with zero style, creativity, originality, or progression. Basically a tall rectangle anyone could have sketched on a piece of paper in two seconds.
Generally, I'm not concered about age or a so-called "dated" look. In my book, either something looks good or it doesn't, regardless of the date of manufacture.That's why, to me, one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built was the Lockheed Super Constellation of the 1950s.....over half a century ago. And one of the best-looking cars was the 1970 Pontiac GTO.
Old 03-29-14, 09:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I find it a funny feature on newer trucks where it's a column mounted shifter with the little toggle switch.
That's because, on pickups, it often has to share space on the column-shifter with the TOW/HAUL mode switch which blocks out the highest gears and adjusts engine torque.
Old 03-29-14, 09:43 AM
JDSTL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm surprised no one has mentioned how dated the center stack is. This alone would be a deal-breaker for me. It is straight out of the 90's, with zero style, creativity, originality, or progression. Basically a tall rectangle anyone could have sketched on a piece of paper in two seconds.
You really think they look that similar? Much cleaner looking than those Saturns pictured. I'm not a GM fanboy by any stretch but I'd say the new Malibu overall is a pretty solid entry level car.

OP-nice review.
Old 03-29-14, 09:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDSTL
OP-nice review.
Thanks. The new Audi A3 review is coming up when the car is available in my area.
Old 03-29-14, 10:07 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I find it a funny feature on newer trucks where it's a column mounted shifter with the little toggle switch.
I know, right? My work vehicle last summer was a 13' Suburban and I found that little switch awkward to use. Who wants to reach up to the colum shifter to push a button to shift? Of course, it's not something I use regularly. The only practical use I've found so far is for gearing down on a steep descent(which, admittedly, you could do before manual shift came about).
Old 03-29-14, 10:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I know, right? My work vehicle last summer was a 13' Suburban and I found that little switch awkward to use. Who wants to reach up to the colum shifter to push a button to shift? Of course, it's not something I use regularly. The only practical use I've found so far is for gearing down on a steep descent(which, admittedly, you could do before manual shift came about.)
Agreed. I used it on my grandad's 2013 F-150 in the mountains last summer hauling the boat to the lake.
Old 03-29-14, 12:35 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I would agree, if you define the term "successful" as simply selling to the public in Camry/Accord numbers. But a vehicle can be successful in other ways than just selling half a million units a year. The 5Gen Malibu not only made a fair profit for GM, but, besides private-owners, enough other people drove enough Malibus, enough miles, at the rental firms, to keep the assembly lines going as those rental cars were worn, sold off as is, reconditioned/sold, and replaced with newer Malibus.
People getting stuck with a Malibu at Enterprise and driving it for 500 miles doesn't make it a successful car. The fact that it was fleeted to seemingly no end proves that it wasn't successful. Retail buyers weren't buying it, aka actual people weren't going out and spending their money on it.
Old 03-29-14, 02:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice review again.

The previous 7th Gen Malibu was a huge hit for Chevy and did well in comparisons, I liked the exterior design and it had a V6 option, it played a big part in the revival of GM. The next generation went up in price, lost its V6 in the American market, and reviews were pretty poor, sales dropped significantly too. Those Chevy 4 cylinders are not very well suited for a car of its size and weight. They really got it wrong, it is a okay looking car with a homely interior but the new update seems like a improvement. The new Chevy Impala has been stealing a lot of the Malibu's thunder, it has been getting pretty positive reviews not to mention it is a good looking car. I like the styling update on the front end of the new Malibu, it is pretty sharp but I don't like the rear, it is not something I would ever consider.

What other cars do you plan on reviewing marshall?
Old 03-29-14, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Wink

Originally Posted by UDel
Nice review again.
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

The previous 7th Gen Malibu was a huge hit for Chevy and did well in comparisons, I liked the exterior design and it had a V6 option, it played a big part in the revival of GM. The next generation went up in price, lost its V6 in the American market, and reviews were pretty poor, sales dropped significantly too. Those Chevy i4 cylinders are not very well suited for a car of its size and weight. They really got it wrong, it is a okay looking car with a homely interior but the new update seems like a improvement. The new Chevy Impala has been stealing a lot of the Malibu's thunder, it has been getting pretty positive reviews not to mention it is a good looking car. I like the styling update on the front end of the new Malibu, it is pretty sharp but I don't like the rear, it is not something I would ever consider.
I agree it's not in the Impala's class, but, for the money, IMO, few sedans are.

What other cars do you plan on reviewing marshall?
I have a request for a new A3 sedan review, but it hasn't been released yet in the DC area. I also plan to do the K900 and the Chevy SS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-29-14 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-29-14, 11:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'll agree with Udel, the last generation had more pizzazz.

Mike, the new A3 launch parties all take place in L.A. next Thursday. I have an slot at the dealer for a test drive, but may be stuck working late that night. Will see. I bring this up because maybe the east coast is sharing a similar launch sequence, making A3's available for testing next week?
Old 03-30-14, 12:51 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
I'd argue that the 2.5L V6 in the IS250, while smooth, delivers neither the power, nor the fuel efficiency expected in a vehicle and nearly any price point.

I think the Acura TSX's 2.4L Inline 4, naturally aspirated and without direct injection, is nearly as smooth, and achieves similar numbers to the Lexus 2.5L V6.
Toyota's 2.5L 4GR-FSE is superior to the Honda's 2.4L in every way. Perhaps it's a little less fuel efficient at idle. That's it.

Look at the power band of the Lexus 2.5L V6. Honda's 2.4L could only dream

And remember the size difference between Honda 2.4 & Lexus 2.5 is only 0.1L with the Lexus having very small pistons

Last edited by yowps3; 03-30-14 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-30-14, 04:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'll agree with Udel, the last generation had more pizzazz.
At least it had a V6. The new 2.0T is not a slouch, but it is less-refined.

Mike, the new A3 launch parties all take place in L.A. next Thursday. I have an slot at the dealer for a test drive, but may be stuck working late that night. Will see. I bring this up because maybe the east coast is sharing a similar launch sequence, making A3's available for testing next week?
Thanks. I'm going have a fair amount of (non-review) stuff on my calendar for the next few weeks, but I do have the A3 on my list and will get to it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-14 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Deal-breaker for me too. I am not a big fan of the buttons on the center stack, they look really cheap to me and I am not a fan at all of the swooping arcs on each side of the dash.
Old 04-02-14, 02:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. I'm going have a fair amount of (non-review) stuff on my calendar for the next few weeks, but I do have the A3 on my list and will get to it.
Test drove an A4 last week, but got in the A3 in the showroom while waiting for the salesman. The A4 has a roomier back seat (but the A3 seat is at least as big as my IS), and I don't love the pop up nav, but other than that, I can't see getting the current A4 over an A3.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu