Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Becoming a real "LexFather"...Welcome 2014 LS 460 F-sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 11:12 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You made a fantastic choice! Here's to years of enjoyment. Do you remember what you had to ride around in as a toddler? For me it was a 1972 green Dodge Demon. I look back at my daughter riding in her carseat in the LS and I think about how far we have come.
Old 04-14-14, 07:12 PM
LexFather

Angry Pandas

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Such a great story bro! It's always nice to see the passion and appreciation
Thanks, I really appreciate you saying that.

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The LS sure has come a long ways since my old 92.
Indeed

Originally Posted by doge
LexFather, did you over night your parts from Japan?

Sorry had to make the cheesy fast and furious joke
hahhahahahaha

Originally Posted by Trexus
A Big Congrats on your new LS 460 F Sport...I love it...enjoy your car bro...
Thanks mann!

Originally Posted by Trexus
His wifey owned an RX at one point...
Yes RX 400h

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Congrats Mike
Thanks bro!

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Congratulation on your purchase :-D. Very Very awesome ride!!
Thanks bro!

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Congratulations on the baby and the other baby the LS. I admire your love and passion for Lexus. Enjoy in good health, hopefully someday it gets passed on to your kid.
Thanks, very kind of you.

Originally Posted by Tee
Congrats and welcome to the LS fam! Time post this news over in the LS forum buddy.
Thanks Tee!

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
Congrats Mike, I know its not staying stock
Already modded

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Congratulations on the upcoming baby and becoming a father, Defiantly a sweet ride and awesome feedback.
Thanks, very excited!

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Congrats Mike, Just saw this thread as a few others did but noticed your signature last week and new something was up... The LS couldn't be more of a better fit for the you, wifey, and new baby on the way... classy, elegant, and roomy for baby and all the necessities. Getting another brand vehicle just wouldn't seem right IMO... with your stable of vehicles adding the LS was a perfect fit... Besides the reliability and safety is second to none..

Well deserved IMO... Congrats...
Tony, thanks for the long post, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by rogers2
Congrats on making big moves. That's what life is all about, moving forward.
Rogers, you are damn right.

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I guess April fool doesn't work in Japan. Nice story, Mike. For some reasons my son doesn't think LS F Sport is an old man's car, just his dad Nice addition. Now don't disappoint us... make this your next project.
lol! Thanks, I hope not to disappoint.

Originally Posted by Marklouis
You made a fantastic choice! Here's to years of enjoyment. Do you remember what you had to ride around in as a toddler? For me it was a 1972 green Dodge Demon. I look back at my daughter riding in her carseat in the LS and I think about how far we have come.
Thanks Mark..no car as a toddler...in NYC we just walked or took mass transit...never forget where you came from.

Old 04-15-14, 06:40 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Angry Pandas

Where is the 'Like' button!

I drove my brother's '11 LS AWD last night, such a treat. Very happy for you. I see you've already done a mod? Was it a little human friendly one?
Old 04-15-14, 08:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
There is some loyalty here clearly and I don't care if some or all call me a fanboy or Lexus apologist and every other name in the book. I believe in the brand. I believe in the vehicles. After 18 long years of ownership it was time to get the father LS and like I've said in so many posts, Lexus now offers a car that appeals to me when I needed them to.

When the first LS came to be, as a teenager and Toyota car enthusiast from back then, my jaw dropped at how refined this car was. My loyalty to Lexus was born and to this day, it's stronger than ever. I can definitely relate to the loyalty and am very happy for you that you got the pinnacle of Lexus. One day I may very well take the plunge into an LS, although it will likely start off as a CPO perhaps . Congrats!
Old 04-15-14, 08:28 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The front of the LS is perfect. Love that car.
Old 04-15-14, 11:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats , Mike !!! So happy for you. That is great news. As the LexFather you have to have the father of all Lexus vehicles. I just traded my LS for an ISF a little while back and love it but still miss the presence of the LS and that damn stereo . The stereo in that LS was like a concert. I knew it was amazing but now that its gone I really know how amazing it was. After we go out Sienna I never drove my LS on the weekends so I decided to trade to something a little more sporty and dumped the extra room I didnt need . Im sure it will look insane when you put your touch on it. Congrats again bro
Old 04-15-14, 02:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Congrats , Mike !!! So happy for you. That is great news. As the LexFather you have to have the father of all Lexus vehicles. I just traded my LS for an ISF a little while back and love it but still miss the presence of the LS and that damn stereo . The stereo in that LS was like a concert. I knew it was amazing but now that its gone I really know how amazing it was. After we go out Sienna I never drove my LS on the weekends so I decided to trade to something a little more sporty and dumped the extra room I didnt need . Im sure it will look insane when you put your touch on it. Congrats again bro
i agree...curious to see where this goes if Mike decides to mod the LS but even in stock form the LS is beautiful car....
Old 04-15-14, 04:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

After we go out Sienna I never drove my LS on the weekends so I decided to trade to something a little more sporty and dumped the extra room I didnt need.
makes a lot of sense to have one big practical vehicle, and one small hawt one.
Old 04-15-14, 05:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
i agree...curious to see where this goes if Mike decides to mod the LS but even in stock form the LS is beautiful car....
I agree.

It's risky and tough to imagine modding perfection aka LS.
Old 04-16-14, 09:48 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on Fatherhood!

As a father of two, let me give you a few words of advice from one car guy to another, don't concentrate or get caught up in the "accessorizing" of baby stuff. At the baby shower yo you will get a bunch of useless junk. Skip the fancy strollers as most are useless besides to show off to your friends. All those plastic folding baby seats, fancy changing stations, etc are all not needed. The only two things you must have are:

Diaper Genie
Wipes and Diapers
Nice baby rocker chair (for wifey)

Otherwise buy things that are neutral in color such as green or yellow. Since pink is useless if your next one is a boy and vice versa. We got caught with a pink Bugaboo and never used it more than a few times. Too fancy to leave out at restaurants or it will get stolen. Too bulky to travel with, and too large to fit in my m3 trunk. We ended up with a pair of Mclaren travel strollers and done.

I can see you are excited about cars but in their early months, you will be so busy cars are the last thing you will have time for. Any safe car will do - kids can get messy and this is why we have our "family cars" and our weekend cars. My friend who bought a new $45k minivan later found out it was better just to get a used car since kids will be messy, milk will be spilled and food gets all over. We have two suv's and the wife's hybrid plus my m3 for occasional use. Keep the shows cars separate from baby duty.

Oh I saw quite a few people posting about baby seats, we've owned over a dozen seats now in every brand and price range. Check out my notes below. A lot of the seats out there are all marketing and garbage.

P.S. I've tested almost every baby seat on the market and all the top brands. here's a few things I learned:

a) Not all seats fit all cars, and be sure to pickup and check each seat for weight prior to purchase as they vary greatly in weight and design

b) Some of the most expensive seats (Clek) are very safe but also the HEAVIEST so they would not make great travel seats! Vice versa, the cheapest seat is not always bad, aka the Recaro is the cheapest seat here at $220ish.

c) The Recaro Pro-Ride is the lightest and easiest seat to install with straps that don't tangle or get flipped and twisted. It's not the narrowest seat however so probably won't fit the R8.

d) The Radian RXT is the jack of all trades seat (purple one below). It can be folded in half to easily fit any travel bad. Can be used rearward facing as an infant all the way to toddler and very sturdy but heavy. It's also surprisingly got a very narrow footprint so you can fit 3-across most sedans. By far our favorite and also my daughter's favorite so we have two of them.

e) The Clek LATCH system has a fixed option which is very sturdy but doesn't accomodate all cars so you have to try it first before you buy.

f) Most important every seat has a different seating height for the kids. In our Maxi Cosi she sits like a king perched up high which is great in a SUV but not so much in a sports car. The Radian has the LOWEST seating position so great for smaller cars.

here's two of our seats (either the purple one or the Recaro will go into the R8)

Last edited by s4play; 04-16-14 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-20-14, 12:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TripleL
Where is the 'Like' button!

I drove my brother's '11 LS AWD last night, such a treat. Very happy for you. I see you've already done a mod? Was it a little human friendly one?
Yes....Atlanta will see her today before Miami does modded lol

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
When the first LS came to be, as a teenager and Toyota car enthusiast from back then, my jaw dropped at how refined this car was. My loyalty to Lexus was born and to this day, it's stronger than ever. I can definitely relate to the loyalty and am very happy for you that you got the pinnacle of Lexus. One day I may very well take the plunge into an LS, although it will likely start off as a CPO perhaps . Congrats!
Originally Posted by TangoRed
The front of the LS is perfect. Love that car.
Great story, always nice to hear some backgrounds.

Thanks dude, you LS guys led the way, I'm finally going to join the party.

Originally Posted by s4play
Congrats on Fatherhood!

As a father of two, let me give you a few words of advice from one car guy to another, don't concentrate or get caught up in the "accessorizing" of baby stuff. At the baby shower yo you will get a bunch of useless junk. Skip the fancy strollers as most are useless besides to show off to your friends. All those plastic folding baby seats, fancy changing stations, etc are all not needed. The only two things you must have are:

Diaper Genie
Wipes and Diapers
Nice baby rocker chair (for wifey)

Otherwise buy things that are neutral in color such as green or yellow. Since pink is useless if your next one is a boy and vice versa. We got caught with a pink Bugaboo and never used it more than a few times. Too fancy to leave out at restaurants or it will get stolen. Too bulky to travel with, and too large to fit in my m3 trunk. We ended up with a pair of Mclaren travel strollers and done.

I can see you are excited about cars but in their early months, you will be so busy cars are the last thing you will have time for. Any safe car will do - kids can get messy and this is why we have our "family cars" and our weekend cars. My friend who bought a new $45k minivan later found out it was better just to get a used car since kids will be messy, milk will be spilled and food gets all over. We have two suv's and the wife's hybrid plus my m3 for occasional use. Keep the shows cars separate from baby duty.

Oh I saw quite a few people posting about baby seats, we've owned over a dozen seats now in every brand and price range. Check out my notes below. A lot of the seats out there are all marketing and garbage.

P.S. I've tested almost every baby seat on the market and all the top brands. here's a few things I learned:

a) Not all seats fit all cars, and be sure to pickup and check each seat for weight prior to purchase as they vary greatly in weight and design

b) Some of the most expensive seats (Clek) are very safe but also the HEAVIEST so they would not make great travel seats! Vice versa, the cheapest seat is not always bad, aka the Recaro is the cheapest seat here at $220ish.

c) The Recaro Pro-Ride is the lightest and easiest seat to install with straps that don't tangle or get flipped and twisted. It's not the narrowest seat however so probably won't fit the R8.

d) The Radian RXT is the jack of all trades seat (purple one below). It can be folded in half to easily fit any travel bad. Can be used rearward facing as an infant all the way to toddler and very sturdy but heavy. It's also surprisingly got a very narrow footprint so you can fit 3-across most sedans. By far our favorite and also my daughter's favorite so we have two of them.

e) The Clek LATCH system has a fixed option which is very sturdy but doesn't accomodate all cars so you have to try it first before you buy.

f) Most important every seat has a different seating height for the kids. In our Maxi Cosi she sits like a king perched up high which is great in a SUV but not so much in a sports car. The Radian has the LOWEST seating position so great for smaller cars.

here's two of our seats (either the purple one or the Recaro will go into the R8)

Wow I really really appreciate the time you took to write that. Great advice and I will show my wife. Beautiful kid!

Today...

Old 04-20-14, 12:55 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats. looks way better than my 6 year old elantra.
Old 04-20-14, 01:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

car looks awesome of course.. some good advice too, keep it simple with kids.
Old 04-21-14, 08:04 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No problem on the advice! I'm a huge car guy too!

Love the big mouth Lexus look, very aggressive looking and better looking than the GTR for sure
Old 04-22-14, 02:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
car looks awesome of course.. some good advice too, keep it simple with kids.
It will be real simple, Lexus.

Originally Posted by s4play
No problem on the advice! I'm a huge car guy too!

Love the big mouth Lexus look, very aggressive looking and better looking than the GTR for sure
Yeah I know, I've always enjoyed your posts. I'm in love with my inner predator I guess.

Quick Reply: Becoming a real "LexFather"...Welcome 2014 LS 460 F-sport