Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drive a 2014 Cadillac and get a $100 Visa Prepaid Card

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 08:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Which dealership did you try it at? Dont want to go to the dealership and have it not work.
I went to Rizza Cadillac in the Orland Park/Tinley Park area.
Old 04-06-14, 11:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I went yesterday to test drive and card of course... The sales man (a kid) was quite knowledgeable and not pushy at all. He kept complimented my car (2is). He probably didn;t understand why I would even consider the Cadillac (ATS).
Sure enough when he started to walk me around one and than i took it for a spin. I can tell few things:
- it is way behind Lexus
-the barebone has half the feature of a standard lexus.yet only few $low.
the wheel and desh have some highgloss material which is horrible, it's a fingerprint magnet, you cannot have that car nice as you'll always have fingerprints all over it.
I test drove2.0 turbo and was quite sporty comparing with my 250 at low RPM but was not all that imp[ress. Turbo lag was quite annoying.
Bottom line I thing it is a very overprice car. Still same american quality (crap).
You must be really patriot and have a huge hate on imports to consider those IMO.
I agree that it's lacking some features my IS has, or they cost extra on the Caddy (and many others, including BMW). I found the 2.0 turbo noticeably quicker than my IS--but I'm guessing in FL, you don't have AWD.

For me, I can compare the 2IS to the ATS all I want--but I just don't like the 3IS, so when I'm ready to buy, it really won't matter what features the current IS has compared to any other vehicle.
Old 04-06-14, 09:24 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I went in before the end of the original offer in my LS460. The salesman was nice and very knowledgeable. I drove a CTS with 3.6 V-6 and was pretty impressed except for the room. After the drive I got in to the back seat behind the driver and could not sit. This thing is smaller than a 535 or an E350 and maybe even smaller than a GS. We tried an XTS, but is was weak on power and a little choppy on the ride. Salesman finally conceded he had nothing to show me that matched an LS460. The Cadillac/Buick dealership belongs to the same group that owns both local Lexus stores. No high pressure at any.
Steve
Old 04-07-14, 05:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

So what is the update on people who have done this recently. Do you have to give them a bunch of personal information(so they can contact and bug you) or is it not intrusive at all. Are there are limitations on the Card?

I remember when I was young getting a key in the mail from a local dealer which said someone would get a car and other prizes like a tv, I went knowing nothing would happen but what they heck, the sales girl was flirting with me and I asked her if someone really could win the car or tv and she said no, the "prizes" were just a couple hundred off if you bought a car.
Old 04-07-14, 06:50 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
So what is the update on people who have done this recently. Do you have to give them a bunch of personal information(so they can contact and bug you) or is it not intrusive at all. Are there are limitations on the Card?

I remember when I was young getting a key in the mail from a local dealer which said someone would get a car and other prizes like a tv, I went knowing nothing would happen but what they heck, the sales girl was flirting with me and I asked her if someone really could win the car or tv and she said no, the "prizes" were just a couple hundred off if you bought a car.
They asked for my car registration. Not intrusive. They haven't bothered me with phone of even e-mail but I only took the test drive on saturday
Old 04-07-14, 06:51 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

He had me fill out the top part of the form which was basic info plus my car's vin number. Below that there was a space for him to fill out a few lines.
Old 04-08-14, 09:33 AM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

I took a test drive 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back from the dealer. They knew I wasn't interested. Just patiently waiting for my $100.
Old 04-08-14, 10:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I went yesterday to test drive and card of course... The sales man (a kid) was quite knowledgeable and not pushy at all. He kept complimented my car (2is). He probably didn;t understand why I would even consider the Cadillac (ATS).
Sure enough when he started to walk me around one and than i took it for a spin. I can tell few things:
- it is way behind Lexus
-the barebone has half the feature of a standard lexus.yet only few $low.
the wheel and desh have some highgloss material which is horrible, it's a fingerprint magnet, you cannot have that car nice as you'll always have fingerprints all over it.
I test drove2.0 turbo and was quite sporty comparing with my 250 at low RPM but was not all that imp[ress. Turbo lag was quite annoying.
Bottom line I thing it is a very overprice car. Still same american quality (crap).
You must be really patriot and have a huge hate on imports to consider those IMO.
edmunds ranks the ATS ahead of the IS250 http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/...ison-test.html
Old 04-08-14, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
. We tried an XTS, but is was weak on power and a little choppy on the ride. Salesman finally conceded he had nothing to show me that matched an LS460.
Yes, the XTS is a joke. I agree that it can't hold a candle to an LS460. For less money, the CTS is actually a better buy. You state that you liked it except for rear-seat room. How often do you have to actually climb in the rear seat while someone else drives? If the answer is not very often, I'd say consider it.
Old 04-08-14, 10:32 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
edmunds ranks the ATS ahead of the IS250 http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/...ison-test.html
They actually mention exactly what I experienced. Lexus IS250 really need to change this crappy engine as that's where is the huge handicap.

The Lexus bests the Cadillac in feel, feedback, build quality, seats, interior space and price. Those are hard hurdles to clear.

Once again, when putting that grip to use, the Cadillac lacks positive driver interactions, as the engine sounds as if it was sourced from John Deere. Industrial or not, the Cadillac's power plant produces a full 68 hp more than the IS 250 and 32 more than the BMW, while returning 21 mpg during our testing. On the 116-mile Edmunds test loop, the ATS returned a 2nd-place 25.5 mpg.
Old 04-08-14, 10:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They asked for my car registration. Not intrusive. They haven't bothered me with phone of even e-mail but I only took the test drive on saturday
Same here. The offer is only for "conquest" purchasers--they need to verify you drive a non-GM vehicle, no older than whatever the designated MY. My salesman was either lazy, or sniffed me out as being not serious, because I haven't heard from him since he emailed me their price.

As far as the "key" bait and switch, that sounds like a dealer-level promo, not the manufacturer.
Old 04-08-14, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

They actually mention exactly what I experienced. Lexus IS250 really need to change this crappy engine as that's where is the huge handicap.
In my area (D.C. suburbs) the IS250 AWD (especially among females) sells like beer at Happy Hour. You can pan the engine all you want, but it's hard to argue with sales success. That's why Lexus kept it for the 3Gen model.
Old 04-08-14, 12:17 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In my area (D.C. suburbs) the IS250 AWD (especially among females) sells like beer at Happy Hour. You can pan the engine all you want, but it's hard to argue with sales success. That's why Lexus kept it for the 3Gen model.
Let me doubt that Lexus kept it because it was in demand in DC area by women Women would have buy a 2.0l turbo 250hp or more a 300H with no problem.
They kept it to milk their customers a little more. Just like you cannot add all the options in the F model in the USA but you can in anywhere else.
Old 04-08-14, 12:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Let me doubt that Lexus kept it because it was in demand in DC area by women Women would have buy a 2.0l turbo 250hp or more a 300H with no problem.
They kept it to milk their customers a little more. Just like you cannot add all the options in the F model in the USA but you can in anywhere else.
I agree that one urban area alone may not be conclusive. But, if the 250 AWD sells here in the D.C. area where, winters are not (usually) that severe, just think how well it may be selling in Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago, Boston, etc....

As far as the IS350 AWD goes (which, yes, is an option), is see very few of them compared to the 250 AWD. In fact, for some reason, I don't see that many regular 250 FWDs, either. Just something about the AWD version that, despite its low power, seems to attract a lot of people.

Since the thread-topic, though, is Cadillac, though, I'll point out that Cadillac, in this area, seems to be the opposite. Except for some of their SUV line, they seem to sell more RWD/FWD products than AWD.
Old 04-08-14, 01:14 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that one urban area alone may not be conclusive. But, if the 250 AWD sells here in the D.C. area where, winters are not (usually) that severe, just think how well it may be selling in Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago, Boston, etc....

As far as the IS350 AWD goes (which, yes, is an option), is see very few of them compared to the 250 AWD. In fact, for some reason, I don't see that many regular 250 FWDs, either. Just something about the AWD version that, despite its low power, seems to attract a lot of people.

Since the thread-topic, though, is Cadillac, though, I'll point out that Cadillac, in this area, seems to be the opposite. Except for some of their SUV line, they seem to sell more RWD/FWD products than AWD.
Small engines always sell more than powerful ones and it's not just valid for AWD.. RWD the same..and it's not valid just with Lexus.. This applies to any manufacture. BMW sells more 320/328 than 335. Lexus produce less than half I think 350 than 250.
However just because it sells doesn't mean it's not a crap. Let's not forget it is/was the most unreliable engine (carbon buildiup_) and it's not efficient nor performant comparing with competition hence why it always last on reviews.
Back on our topic my main idea was that the engine is bad but the car is miles ahead Cadillac. Lexus is a better car in any other aspect.

Quick Reply: Test drive a 2014 Cadillac and get a $100 Visa Prepaid Card