Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CR - The Lexus IS lists as cars to Avoid !?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 05:05 AM
LexFather

There is a huge thread on this maybe merge it??

Old 02-26-14, 05:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
IS250 starts at $36,100. In my area, "F-sport with additional options" is the only possible option/package, which brings it to $41,403
328i starts at $37,300. Adding Msport package brings it to $41,725

This is a price difference of $1,200 base, $320 similarly optioned ($770 if both have metallic paint) including destination. I'd say that's pretty comparable.

Base price of the IS350 is $39,615, and the 320i starts way down at $32,750. Tell me again why comparing the IS250 to the 328i is so bad?
if "similarly optioned" means they have both metallic paint, then you are correct... but they dont have same options. There is around $5k difference when 3 and IS have same options, not same names of option packages.
Old 02-26-14, 05:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350
Just show up today. First time I've ever seen a report to list Lexus as car "avoid" and fall short.
I actually test drove the IS 350 Fsport and I liked it. CR must have reviewed the 250 version as a mass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consumer Reports' annual auto report doesn't just recommend the best new cars to buy, based on its data. It also tells you the new cars it thinks you should avoid — no matter the deal or the bit of styling that appeals to you.

And it's perhaps a more interesting list than the menu of good cars. At least it can be a good place to start an argument.

Here are the cars to avoid, by category, with some of CR's comments on why they rejected them:

Subcompact cars

•Smart ForTwo (tiny, two-passenger cabin, a herky-jerky transmission, an under-powered engine ... a dumb choice)
•Scion iQ (rear seat is awful, the cabin is loud, acceleration is molasses-like)
•Chevrolet Spark (ride is stiff, the dinky 1.2-liter engine is slow, and handling is lackluster)

Compact cars

•Scion tC (lack of driving enjoyment, hard ride)
•Mitsubishi Lancer (under-powered engine, noisy interior)
•Dodge Dart (unrefined ... more expensive than most competitors)

Midsize sedans

•Chrysler 200/Dodge Avenger (corporate cousins ... plenty of them on dealers' lots at a discount. Don't be tempted.)

Large sedans

•Ford Taurus (ridiculously cramped for such a large car ... controls for its MyFord Touch infotainment system are complicated and distracting ... reliability has been sub-par)

Luxury sedans

•Lexus IS (falls short — very short)
•Lincoln MKS (doesn't cut it as a luxury sedan)
•BMW 7-Series (a ponderous, technology-laden vehicle with ... ungainly handling)

Wagons & minivans

•Honda Crosstour (ungainly handling ... unintuitive and complex touch-screen radio system)

Small SUVs

•Jeep Compass (2.4-liter engine is rough and sluggish ... cabin is cramped, cheaply trimmed)
•Jeep Patriot (compliant ride and mostly simple controls. But little else stands out.)
•Jeep Cherokee with 2.4-liter engine (half-baked ... under-powered and not very fuel-efficient, and the nine-speed automatic transmission is unrefined and unresponsive)
•Mitsubishi Outlander (handles clumsily, the ride is fairly stiff, and the interior feels cheap)

Midsize & large SUVs

•Ford Edge (unrefined powertrain ... ride is jittery and road noise invades the cabin. And the MyFord Touch system is convoluted to use)
•Nissan Armada (overall fuel economy of 13 mpg is abysmal, reliability is poor and ownership costs are the worst in the category)
•Dodge Journey (below-average reliability ... lack of agility ... transmission is reluctant to downshift)

Luxury SUVs

•Volvo XC90 (an old design that wasn't that competitive when new)
•Lincoln MKX (handling is clumsy, the My Lincoln Touch control system is frustrating, and it has been unreliable)
•Land Rover Range Rover Evoque (choppy ride, a noisy cabin, and disconcerting emergency handling)
They did a full test of the new IS a few months ago--it got a horribly low score. Made me scratch my head because the underpinnings of the car haven't really changed that much, but the 2nd Gen was always on the recommended list.
Old 02-26-14, 05:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF350
The old IS 250 and new IS 250 w/ that 200hp engine can't move that car much. ... It's "short" in that regard but I prefer the IS for reliable and that is it.
Right--except CR had the IS250 on its recommended list every year with that same engine. What has changed?
Old 02-26-14, 06:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

CR said they bought the IS250 for the road test since it represents 80% of IS sales.

At the end of the article they wrote that the 350 is the best bet if you're buying an IS.
Old 02-26-14, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

this was already discussed extensively here.

closed.