Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The all-new Lincoln MKC really looked nice at the D.C. auto show a few weeks ago...but I was not able to sit in or drive one yet. I plan to do a full-review as soon as possible, when it is released in April.

There are also some high-stance wagons on the market like the Outback/Venza/Crosstour/XC-70/All-Road, which offer SUV all-weather capability on paved surfaces (and some mild off-roading) while still maintaining very car-like driving characteristics.
Old 02-16-14, 11:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by tin369
Trying to decide on a SUV, have a 2009 RAV4 V6. but can't decide on which to get. Like one for one feature and dislike the other for other reasons. ...
from the ones you mention, looks like you're more interested in a cuv than an suv. if you don't want heavy, then you don't want 7 seater in general.

you seem to want small, but then you seem to say it needs to be bigger than your '09 rav4 but not as heavy as an rx. honestly not quite sure what might fit the constraints.

in the luxury cuv area, you've about covered 'em.

X3, Q5, RX - have you looked at a Mercedes GLK? is Porsche Macan possible?

about first year of a new model, it's hit and miss, bit tons of vehicles are just fine in first year. my FORD explorer was first year of it's gen ('06) and has been just fine.
Old 02-17-14, 03:57 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I saw the Macan at the Toronto Autoshow, although it was locked I peeked in. It's tight inside and the fully loaded S on display was $87K (Cdn) or about $75K US!!! If the OP found the Q5 tight, this is worse. Also, the Macan is based on the Q5 but was highly refined inside
Old 02-17-14, 06:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Really and truly if you're looking for a nicely sized two row SUV/CUV your options anymore are pretty limited...

RX...SRX...ML.lower end you have the Escape which is a little larger than that generation Rav...Chevy Traverse/GMC Terrain.
Old 02-17-14, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Really and truly if you're looking for a nicely sized two row SUV/CUV your options anymore are pretty limited...

RX...SRX...ML.lower end you have the Escape which is a little larger than that generation Rav...Chevy Traverse/GMC Terrain.
Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia/ Buick Enclave

Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain
Old 02-17-14, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Enclave, Acadia, Traverse are bigger 3 rows which is why I didn't include them....
Old 02-17-14, 05:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

thread starter tin has vanished.
Old 02-17-14, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689

The Enclave, Acadia, Traverse are bigger 3 rows which is why I didn't include them....
Why did you write Traverse and not Equinox
Old 02-17-14, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cause I'm an idiot LOL, I meant Equinox!

Another option is the new Nissan Rogue. I sat in it at the car show and was quite impressed...
Old 02-17-14, 06:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It was probaby just a typo on his part....I wouldn't make a big deal of it. Hey, we all slip with the keyboard every once in a while.

Not only in size bewen Chevy SUVs (Traverse vs. Equinox), but it's also tricky sometimes trying to diffentiate between Chevy and GMC vehicles. Mechanically, they are virtually identical, differing only in minor body-trim and standard/optional equipment details. I still don't fully understand why GM kept the GMC division around after the bailout/restructuring when it does nothing but sell rebadged Chevy trucks/SUVs with maybe a little more trim.
Old 02-17-14, 06:29 PM
Hoovey689

Cause I'm an idiot LOL, I meant Equinox!

Another option is the new Nissan Rogue. I sat in it at the car show and was quite impressed...
Originally Posted by mmarshall
It was probaby just a typo on his part....I wouldn't make a big deal of it. Hey, we all slip with the keyboard every once in a while.

Not only in size bewen Chevy SUVs (Traverse vs. Equinox), but it's also tricky sometimes trying to diffentiate between Chevy and GMC vehicles. Mechanically, they are virtually identical, differing only in minor body-trim and standard/optional equipment details. I still don't fully understand why GM kept the GMC division around after the bailout/restructuring when it does nothing but sell rebadged Chevy trucks/SUVs with maybe a little more trim.
Haha it's all good gents
Old 02-17-14, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
He's just kidding around lol
Old 02-17-14, 10:20 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acura MDX. It's like the RX. But better.

The RX330 used to be the best at its game. But Lexus messed up big time with the RX350

Last edited by yowps3; 02-17-14 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-18-14, 04:11 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

There really isn't much out there in SUV/CUV land in that under 35k price that tickles my fancy right now. Get above 35k, the Lexus RX is nice but rather bland to look at, Acura MDX is okay but I think the RX is a better car.

The Grand Cherokee really tickles my fancy with its butch styling, Hemi V8 power, towing capacity, and honest to god real 4x4 capability. Get one with the brown leather interior option and its pretty damn nice inside. Plus Chrysler's touch screen is very intuitive and easy to use. If you want an SUV, get a real SUV, one that does everything, not some stupid mall crawler, soccer mom job. I mean those are fine if you are on a budget of under 30k, want the room, and added traction in the snow. If you're going to lay down a lot of $$$$, buy something that isn't a glorified Toyota Camry or Honda Accord wagon(ala Lexus RX and Acura RDX/MDX).
Old 02-18-14, 05:45 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
There really isn't much out there in SUV/CUV land in that under 35k price that tickles my fancy right now. Get above 35k, the Lexus RX is nice but rather bland to look at, Acura MDX is okay but I think the RX is a better car.

The Grand Cherokee really tickles my fancy with its butch styling, Hemi V8 power, towing capacity, and honest to god real 4x4 capability. Get one with the brown leather interior option and its pretty damn nice inside. Plus Chrysler's touch screen is very intuitive and easy to use. If you want an SUV, get a real SUV, one that does everything, not some stupid mall crawler, soccer mom job. I mean those are fine if you are on a budget of under 30k, want the room, and added traction in the snow. If you're going to lay down a lot of $$$$, buy something that isn't a glorified Toyota Camry or Honda Accord wagon(ala Lexus RX and Acura RDX/MDX).
In that case why not get the FJ-Cruiser. It'll crush any Jeep off road.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on which SUV? any suggestions