Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus make a new IS-F base on 3IS?
Yes, the M3, C63, RS4, and ATS-V sedan needs some competition.
85.71%
No, the RC-F should get the job done.
14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 10:43 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus IS F could still be in the works - report

Would likely have more than 450 bhp

According to reports out of Japan, Lexus could offer a new IS F.

Details are limited but the model would be heavily influenced by the RC F Coupe which recently debuted at the North American International Auto Show. This means the sedan could come equipped with an aggressive body kit, a sport-tuned suspension and a Torque Vectoring Differential with three different modes.

Power would likely be provided by a 5.0-liter V8 engine that develops more than 450 bhp (335 kW) and 383 lb-ft (518 Nm) of torque. In the RC F, it enables the coupe to accelerate from 0-60 mph in less than 4.6 seconds and hit an estimated top speed of 168 mph (270 km/h).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11401246...works---report
Old 01-24-14, 10:44 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New Lexus IS F to Debut Next Year

Rumor has it that Lexus is working on a next-generation IS F model, despite past reports of its cancellation.

Now that the RC F has been officially revealed, attention is back on the IS F sedan model and whether or not Lexus will give it the next-generation treatment. According to Japanese magazine Mag-X, the Japanese automaker is working on the vehicle with a debut possible sometime in 2015.

The RC F is powered by a 5.0-liter V8 engine that will put out at least 450 hp and 383 lb-ft of torque. If Lexus does move forward with a next-generation IS F, the same powertrain is likely to find its way onto the sedan.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...f-planned.html
Old 01-24-14, 10:58 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Lexus decides not to do another IS F this generation, I think that looks bad for the F brand as a whole....almost as if their first product was not successful enough to warrant a second iteration. Audi/Benz/BMW offer S/RS/AMG/M of nearly every model and have almost made these high performance variants another expected trim level. Base, luxury, sport, super sport.

Lexus needs to build another IS F to continue building the F brand.
Old 01-24-14, 11:01 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
If Lexus decides not to do another IS F this generation, I think that looks bad for the F brand as a whole....almost as if their first product was not successful enough to warrant a second iteration. Audi/Benz/BMW offer S/RS/AMG/M of nearly every model and have almost made these high performance variants another expected trim level. Base, luxury, sport, super sport.

This, consistency will help build the F brand. Can you imagine BMW deciding to skip an M3 or M5 for a generation?
Old 01-24-14, 11:06 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi has skipped on the RS4 for the new gen, concentrated on the RS5

Remember, Lexus is about being exclusive... why be like the others?
Old 01-24-14, 11:06 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I agreed with a lot of the post on a new IS-F. If Lexus wants to continue fighting the Germans they will need a new IS-F, alone with the RC-F, GS-F and LS-F.

While they are at it how about a GS coupe and or a new SC (2 seater Mercedes SL competitor)
Old 01-24-14, 11:09 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by "that boy"
Audi has skipped on the RS4 for the new gen, concentrated on the RS5

Remember, Lexus is about being exclusive... why be like the others?
Lexus has bigger fish to fried, MB and BMW
Old 01-24-14, 11:17 AM
shahir18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
Lexus has bigger fish to fried, MB and BMW
Well, if there would be a 3IS based IS F - then I know it will not be released until 2016.

Would be a smarter business move since you have the release of the RC F late this fall going on to the following year. Then expect the IS F to be released either late of next year or early 2016. Lexus wouldn't want sales to be effected on the RC F, so an official announcement wouldn't be until late next year or at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show
Old 01-24-14, 12:08 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
RC F is supposed to take the limelight while the IS F is meant to go on hiatus while the next generation is being developed. Not many caught this when the 3IS was released, but the RC was built with an optional V8 in mind. The IS was not. Expect this next generation of IS F to go FI 6 likely with these rumored TTV6 and TTV8 powertrains in develpment.

There's a meeting in Torrance today. Hope to know more tomorrow.
Thank you! Upon seeing spy shots of the RC-F six months ago, I came to the conclusion regarding the TTV6, that an XE30 IS-F was still in the cards. Reports that the RC-F would use a TTV6 didn't make sense. The RC-F prototypes were obviously powered by a NA V8, likely being the 5.0L. By August, it was obvious to me that Furuyama-san who mentioned this TTV6 earlier in June/July, specifically referred to the model, "IS-F", not RC-F.

The media naively read it as the "IS-F coupe" that he referred to, not a direct IS-F replacement. It makes sense that the IS-F would not have such a V8, as the RC-F is positioned higher in being between IS and GS in the Lexus range. The V8 F sedan would be a Lexus GS-F, not an IS-F for that reason. As for the ever mysterious 5LS, I'd wonder what's expected to power a potential LS-F.

Originally Posted by spwolf
this reminds me of half a year ago when insiders thought F brand is going to be cancelled
As usual, "journalists" last year were just making useless noise about Lexus plans in which they truly knew nothing about. At one time, they assumed Lexus had plans for a late IS-F convertible addition, upon seeing what were really RC-F test mules in July 2012.

By summer 2013, they were calling what was really was the RC-F, the redesigned IS-F, until they were corrected numerous times about the "RC-F" trademark filed in January 2013. Prior to that, they were making claims it was cancelled for good and there no would be no more F vehicles after IS-F and LFA.

Did we not also hear how BMW was supposedly discontinuing the BMW M3 altogether? Yet, we saw F80 prototypes being tested alongside F82 prototypes, which are now the M3 & M4. Even much earlier reports were that a 4-door 3-series in M trim wouldn't exist in the F30 line-up.

I tire of such nonsensical publications from such sources at times. Same thing about the recent reports about the "discontinued" Ford SVT Raptor (redesign), which friends of mine in Michigan are currently working on for a scheduled 2015 launch. Plausibility is the key here, in judging the validity of such articles.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 01-24-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
This, consistency will help build the F brand.
'brand'? they have one F car (2IS-F is still available, right?), and one coming (RC-F) afaik.

unfortunately, lexus has a history of so many false starts...

l-tuned (remember that? the stealth add-on label)

TRD (endless speculation of it happening bigger in the u.s., didn't happen, had to import everything)

f-sport (yeah this happened, but the execution on RX and CTh are just cosmetic, weakening the brand).

you're absolutely right, consistency is key.

maybe whatever comes of the lf-cc and ft-1 will elevate the f brand. but with audi, mercedes, and bmw having loads of S/RS/AMG/M models, it will be a long hill to climb.
Old 01-24-14, 12:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'brand'? they have one F car (2IS-F is still available, right?), and one coming (RC-F) afaik.

Yes the brand. There is significant investment in the F program and F-sport. In just a short time Lexus went from stand alone parts for F-sport to full packages with the cars including the CT and RX. They created one of the worlds greatest cars in the LFA and the RC F is coming.

I think many here forgot the IS F was not a true planned product, it was a skunkworks project that got approved. The LFA was to launch the brand and then others to follow. The IS F kind of changed that.

Also AMG was not built in a day. The first car was the C36 and it was alone for about 5-6 years. It wasn't until recently that Benz decided to AMG everything.

Same with BMW M, they started small and now include SUVs. It took 30 years.

These are super exciting times for Lexus owners and enthusiasts who are witnessing and being part of the birth of the "F" brand.

My thoughts are Lexus wants every F to truly have its own spirit. Lexus internally is very keen to point out they feel the RC F is almost a separate vehicle, it is not an add on after the fact (ala IS F , M3, etc). If that is their approach then it will take much longer to bring a car to market. Why did they not debut an IS F with the IS 350 like the RC F debuts with the RC 350. No idea but maybe the new engine wasn't ready.

Old 01-24-14, 12:54 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well we already know the RCF and hopefully GSF will be coming soon. they are toying with the idea for a LSF for 5LS. maybe even a CTF for the next gen. it only makes sense to continue the ISF.
Old 01-24-14, 12:58 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LFA was an F product as well, so IS F, RC F and LFA are all F products. I would definitely consider F to be a brand within Lexus.

unfortunately, lexus has a history of so many false starts...

l-tuned (remember that? the stealth add-on label)

TRD (endless speculation of it happening bigger in the u.s., didn't happen, had to import everything)

f-sport (yeah this happened, but the execution on RX and CTh are just cosmetic, weakening the brand).
I agree with L-Tuned and TRD being half-assed attempts, but F Sport is not really a false start at all, unless you consider AMG Sports packages, M Performance parts and Audi S-line accessories to be false starts as well. RX has more than cosmetic changes, with standard AWD, 8AT and stiffer suspension tuning. CTh, I really am not sure but I think it also has stiffer suspension and larger wheels. If you think that F-Sport cars need more performance credentials, I agree, but they still have their own merits outside of horsepower.

maybe whatever comes of the lf-cc and ft-1 will elevate the f brand. but with audi, mercedes, and bmw having loads of S/RS/AMG/M models, it will be a long hill to climb.
LF-CC is RC, so we already know that is becoming an F vehicle. FT-1, being Toyota, will be unassociated with F.
Old 01-24-14, 01:33 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think FT-1 will have anything to do with the F brand; seeing that it is wearing a Toyota badge
Old 01-24-14, 02:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

LFA was an F product as well
naming is kinda off (maybe L-F would have been better?) plus only 500 built, but sure... and you know i ♥♥♥ the LFA!

I agree with L-Tuned and TRD being half-assed attempts, but F Sport is not really a false start at all
agree f-sport is a much bigger and better effort

LF-CC is RC, so we already know that is becoming an F vehicle. FT-1, being Toyota, will be unassociated with F.
meant lf-lc i guess (too many letters ) - will this be F brand?

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I don't think FT-1 will have anything to do with the F brand; seeing that it is wearing a Toyota badge
ok, got it.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news