Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Soul

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-13, 01:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Soul

A Review of the face-lifted 2014 Kia Soul

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sou...ce?story=hello

IN A NUTSHELL: The top-seller in this segment gets a significant facelift.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Scion xB, Nissan Cube.

OVERVIEW:

Several years ago, when Kia was already on somewhat of a roll with an ever-improving reputation, its management decided to introduce an all-new vehicle in response to Scion's hot-selling, shoebox-shaped xB. The xB, together with Scion's list-price, no-dicker selling, was originally intended for younger people who were looking for funky styling and the ease of buying a new car without going through haggling, Middle- Eastern Bazzar tactics. The first-generation xB, of course, was quite successful with not only younger people but also a surprising number of older ones who liked its low price, Toyota reliability, ease-of-purchase, economy, and space-efficiency. The second-generation xB, of course, for a number of reasons, never quite caught on like the original one did, but that is not the topic of this review.

What IS the topic, of course, is that the original Soul was introduced in an effort to cut into some of the first-generation Scion xB's sales. Though I had seen it earlier, of course, in pictures and in the auto press, I first saw the Soul in person at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show. Like with the xB, I was impressed with the Soul's space-efficiency, but otherwise wasn't too thrilled with it. I thought the interior used very cheap, hard-feeling materials (some of that, of course, was necessitated by the Soul's low price), I thought the dash looked weird and funky (so did the xB's, for that matter), and I thought that the red plastic lining on the INSIDE of the glove-box (which you almost never see unless you open it and it is empty), and the red glow-in-the-dark door-speakers, which pulsated with the stereo volume, were simply gimmicks. Those speakers, BTW, later had a safety-recall for their wiring.

Well, even given all of that, a lot of people liked it, and the Soul was an unquestioned sales success. Its success, of course (along with that of the xB) really kept the smaller, similarly-styled Nissan Cube from catching on in America...and it can be argued that the Cube, like the Smart Car, was never really designed for American conditions. Though I myself don't believe much in either automotive stereotypes or the power of mass-marketing (I tend to believe that good vehicles sell themselves), some still believe that at least part of the Soul's success was the cute Hamster campaign shown on TV and in magazines. Indeed, when my brother bought his black-metallic Soul in 2010, the relatively small Volvo-Kia dealership were were at had put a bright red one in the middle of the showroom and stuffed it inside with four tan life-size, 5-feet tall stuffed hamsters (one in each seat).

I mentioned that my brother liked the Soul.....he seemed to fall in love with the design, I went shopping with him three years ago, and we went home with a brand-new black one. I didn't think that black was the ideal color, for several reasons, but my brother didn't want one of the bright-colored red or Alien Green ones (and he had had a silver car for almost ten years, so that was out). And the nice sand-dune light-beige color (which he also liked ) was too hard to find in the Plus (+) trim-level he settled on, so it was home with the black one. He's been like a kid with an unlimited supply of candy ever since...he loves it, even with the antiquated 4-speed automatic (which as been replaced by a 6-speed on the newer ones).

And, I have to admit, it came in useful even in my own life, after my heart surgery three years ago. When I left the hospital (the doctors had opened up my chest for the surgery and then sealed it up again), my brother took me home in the Soul's spacious and roomy back seat, which was simply cavernous for its small exterior size. (See, I told you guys that shoe-box styling has its advantages). I had no problems getting into or out of it. The doctors wanted me to sit back there on the way home because it lessened the chances of an airbag hitting my newly-sewn-up chest if they went off for any reason. I recovered MUCH faster than the doctors and nurses had anticipated (as I suspected I would), and was myself driving (and doing car-reviews) again in just a few weeks.

OK...so much for me and my brother. The Soul went on, of course, to become one of Kia's true successes (just as the present-generation Optima sedan is also becoming). There have been some minor changes to the headlights/taillights/grille/bumpers, but this year, for 2014, the Kia designers decided to give the interior a major redesign without any major changes to the exterior. So, for that reason, and the addition of the 6-speed automatic transmission a couple of years ago, and, of course, my brother's continuing satisfaction with his old one, I decided to do a full-length review on the latest version.

For 2014, three basic trim-versions of the Soul are offered.....Base, Plus (+), and Exclaim (!). Base models, which start at $14,700, come with a 1.6L in-line four with 130 HP, 118 ft-lbs. of torque, and a choice of a conventional three-pedal 6 speed manual or 6-speed Sport-shift automatic. Plus ($18,700) and Exclaim ($20,300) models come with a 2.0L four with 164 HP, 151 ft-lbs. of torque (which is probably a little more realistic if you are going to load it up with passengers and cargo), and the 6-speed automatic. Front-drive, of course, is still standard in all versions. Personally, I'd like to see Kia offer an AWD version of the Soul for bad weather so that one does not have to buy the more expensive Sportage (which, IMO, has a really crappy interior), but Kia has not (yet) seen fit to offer one. Scion, of course, does not offer AWD for the xB, nor Nissan for the Cube, so Kia really isn't pressured very much to do so for the Soul, which competes with them.

For the actual test-drive, I chose a base version with the 6-speed automatic (not many 2014s are currently in stock as I write this, though there is still a supply of unsold 2013s, even with the Soul's good sales-rate. I figured a lot of Soul buyers would want the lowest-price version, and I also wanted to see how the 6-speed automatic interacted with the base 1.6L engine and its lower power rating (actually quite well, as we'll see below). The automatic, though, is priced rather stiffly...it adds $2000 to the manual transmission's base price, and doesn't include any other features with it. So, if you live in an area that doesn't have a lot of traffic, and you don't have any physical problems or reasons why you can't shift, then consider getting the manual if you want to save money.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2014 Base Kia Soul

BASE PRICE: $14,700

OPTIONS:

6-Speed automatic transmission: $2000

Carpeted Floor Mats: $115

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $795 (about average for a car of this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $17,610

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transversely-mounted 1.6L in-line four, 130 HP @ 6300 RPM, Torque 118 Ft-lbs. @ 4850 RPM, 6-speed Sport-shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 24 City, 30 Highway, 26 Combined (same as with the manual).
An Eco package with engine start/stop at idle improves the mileage roughly 1 MPG.

EXTERIOR COLOR: Titanium Gray Metallic

INTERIOR: Black Diamond-Weave Cloth.

PLUSSES:

Cavernous interior space efficiency for the size.

Reasonably refined four-cylinder engines.

Superb 6-speed automatic transmission.

Reasonably well-done chassis.

Better sound insulation than before.

Better exterior fit/finish than before.

Dual gas-struts for the hood surprising on a car of this price.

Very good underhood layout.

Good interior hardware.

Generally easy-to-use buttons/controls in non-NAV versions.

Nice new color choices on Plus/Exclaim models.

Well-done paint jobs.

Decent reliability record.

Battery-saving sun-visors.

Long 10/100 and 5/60 Kia warranties.

MINUSES:

Overly-firm seat padding.

No spare tire at all.

Outward rear-visibility not bad, but could be better.

No more standard body-side mouldings (dropped for 2014).

Needless paint-color restrictions on the base model.

Like other smaller Hyundai/Kia vehicles, significant price increases in the last few years.

Automatic transmission option costs a hefty $2000 on the base model.

Still no AWD option....one must move up to a Sportage.

No turbo options for performance-buffs.

Former top-line Sport Model dropped this year.

EXTERIOR:

After a few years of minor face-lifting on the 2009-2013 models, the 2014 model gets more substantial changes to its front/rear styling but is still instantly recognizable as a Soul. The headlights, grille, front-bumper area, rear taillights, D-pillar, and rear-bumper trim have all been redesigned, but the basic look (and function) of the Soul that attacted so many buyers still remains. Unlike many other newer vehicles that seem to get thinner sheet metal and trim with each redesign, that doesn't seem to be the case with the new Soul. The sheet metal feels as solid or more so than on the previous version...and (supposedly) it has more insulation under it now. The doors close with a somewhat more solid, precise sound than on its predecessor. The paint jobs I looked at (the Latte-Brown, a light, cream-coffee-like shade, was one of them) were quite well done....almost mirror-like in smoothness, though, of course, black often tends to have slightly more orange-peel. Unfortunately, the bean-counters, this year, took off the nice thick body side-mouldings for parking-lot protection that were on the 2009-2013 models, but stuck in some nice things elsewhere to compensate...as we'll see in a minute. Base models still come with stamped steel wheels instead of cast alloys, but they don't have quite as cheap or flimsy a look as on some other entry-level vehicles. The available paint colors, IMO, are nice, especially on the upmarket Plus and Exclaim models, which have a muted dark blue, bright yellow, and bright red not available on the base model. That, IMO, is a needless color restriction on that model....but Kia is not alone; other manufacturers also sometimes restrict base color-choices. The Lime-ish Alien Green, which has long been the Soul's feature color, is, of course, still available on all versions. Base and Plus versions have a nice black (though narrow) body-cladding strip running the length of the lower-body to help protect the paint from road-debris, though, strangely, it is not run up into the edge of the wheel wells. The black-cladding also covers relatively large areas of the lower-front and lower-rear ends. The Exclaim model has painted body-color bumpers, which, IMO, may look classier, but exposes more paint and trim to damage from road debris. All versions now get body-color outside door handles. In back, the taillights have been restyled and moved slightly higher up the corners than on previous versions. The two twin side-mirror housings swivel-snap and lock smoothly and precisely, and, on the Plus and Exclaim versions, include integrated LED turn-signals. The overall level of exterior fit and finish was quite impressive for the price, especially the Titanium-Gray paint on my test-car....noticeably better than on previous versions.

UNDERHOOD:

Raise the hood, and you are greeted with some nice surprises.....even on the base 15K model. Under the hood is a nice insulation pad....which helps address some of the engine-noise complaints on the old model. Two nice gas struts hold up the hood for you....which was a real surprise, as these are almost unheard of in low-priced vehicles (the only recent low-priced vehicle to have them was the 2008-2012 Subaru Impreza, now dropped for the 2013 redesign). Even 50K Ford Explorers now come with manual prop-rods instead of struts. The base 1.6L in-line four fits in very well (the larger 2.0L four slightly less so), and there is room around the sides of the engine block to reach a number of components. A plastic engine cover (as with most cars nowadays) blocks some of the top components, but it is not bad. The battery is off to the right, up front, uncovered, for relatively easy access. All of the dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are easy to reach.....some of the easiest (by today's standards) I've seen.

INTERIOR:

While the exterior of the new 2014 Soul is not markedly different from the previous version, that is less-true for the new interior....especially with the new dash and control layout. As before, entry/exit is very easy for a lot of different sized people due to the vehicle's ride-height....one has to neither step up on a running board or stoop down close to the ground. The base interior's primary gauges have a large speedometer set deep inside a tunnel, the edge of which compromises but doesn't necessarily block the view of the smaller tachometer on the left or the secondary gauges on the right. Upmarket and special-package versions get a different gauge-cluster with equal-sized speedometer and tachometer. The large, projecting center-dash pod with the stereo and climate-controls has been replaced by a more conventional-looking plastic panel, with the climate-control ***** on the lower part. The ***** work easily and have a reasonably solid feel. The steering wheel has been given a totally new shape, with numerous buttons and tab-controls on it....but it is generally comfortable to hold. The seats are pretty much the same as before, with more or less the same decent-quality fabrics, and the too-hard (for my tastes) seat-cushion padding. Gray/black two-tone leather is optional on Plus models, and black leather on the Exclaims (I couldn't sample any of those...none were in stock). Headroom and legroom, of course, remain just the same as before....nice and accomodating, although, of course, the best rear legroom comes from pushing the front seat forward. Interior trim materials are not luxury-grade, but reasonably good considering the price. As befits the body style, one sits up quite high in the two front seats, and has a somewhat elevated view of the road in front. Visibility out the back, due to the thick D-pillars and fairly small (for this type of vehicle) rear window, is OK, but could be better...the small triangular opera-windows on the inside of the D-pillar help some. The light-gray fabric headliner is thin and hard-feeling, and the sun visors, though very thick and solid, have a hard-plastic material that is rather unpleasant to hold. The visors do have a nice feature, though, that automatically clicks off the vanity light when you flip them closed....that, of course, could help save the battery for absent-minded people. The stereo sound is not concert-hall quality, but reasonably good for the price. Most of the interior seems well-assembled, though I found the all-black version rather dull and monotone for my tastes. Though I test-drove an automatic, I static-sampled the shift linkage on a manual 6-speed, and felt the lever's shift-throws were generally precise but a little long and notchy, with rather wide gaps in the double-H pattern. A major difference in the new interior is the placement of the air-vents and stereo-speakers. In the new interior, the upper speakers, in black/brushed-aluminum trim, sit directly on top of the two outer dash-vents, pointing straight up. The two dash vents (and the center ones) have a nice, solid feel...no cheapness there.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Open up the spacious rear hatch (the sheet metal and strut-action feel smooth and slicker than on the previous version), and, of course, you are greeted with the same high, boxy ceiling and tall, space-efficient cargo area as well. Two strong gas-struts hold the hatch up solidly for you. The trim level of the cargo area, while not to luxury-car standards, is reasonable for the low price (especially on the base model), with a thin, black, fabric-like, semi-carpet material covering the floor. Both rear seats, of course, fold down with individual lever/releases for added cargo area, and the levers are reasonably easy to reach while standing at the rear bumper. Under the floor is a removable black, thick-styrofoam multi-compartment for carrying smaller things, and, under that...no spare tire at all, but a tire sealer/-inflation kit.

ON THE ROAD:

Start the engine with a flip-out key (VW/GM-style) and conventional side-column ignition switch, and the small in-line four pops to life with a reasonable amount of refinement and smoothness. Idle is generally quiet by four-cylinder standards, and the engine does not get particularly noisy as revs climb, though, of course, as with most brand-new engines, I didn't take it into the upper-RPM ranges.

The new 6-speed automatic (actually introduced a coupe of years ago) is a huge improvement over the old wide-ratio 4-speed. Ratios seem well-spaced, the unit is generally smooth and quiet, and, of course, It can be sport-shifted with the lever manually if desired. Automatic kickdown for passing/acceleration was smooth and fuss-free (some automatics make the engine lug a bit at low-RPMs before they reluctantly downshift from accelerator-pressure). The multiple gear ratios help make good use of the engine's low torque level, so that acceleration from that small powerplant, while not strong by any means, is at least adequate for most normal driving with a moderate load on board. You'd still want to consider a Plus or Exclaim model, though, with its larger non-turbo 2.0L four, if you regularly carried heavier loads or filled up all the seats.

The chassis/suspension is also fairly well-done by the standards of this class. Kia has tried to refine the new version a little from the noise levels and bumpiness of he previous version, and, IMO, has generally succeeded. Ride comfort is still borderline firm for my tastes, but bumps are reasonably well-muted. Wind/engine/road noise, overall, is somewhat quieter than before....probably due to the new insulation layers in the doors and underhood. Steering response is reasonably good, and body-roll, while present, is generally well-controlled for a high-stance vehicle. A button on the steering wheel (standard even on the base version) varies the amount of effort/feel from the electric power steering in COMFORT/NORMAL/SPORT modes. It does work....one can definitely feel the difference between the three modes. I generally liked the Sport setting best, as, unlike with suspensions where I like a soft ride, I generally prefer steering with some firmness to it. I wasn't wearing the usual BIG size-15 athletic lace-up shoes I often do on a test-drive, but, today, had on smaller, slip-on, boat-type shoes which aren't as bulky. But, even so, with them, I didn't notice any problems with my foot hanging up on the underside of the brake pedal when lifting off the gas. Whether I would have or not with my usual shoes, I can't say.

THE VERDICT:

Based on my experience with the new 2014 model, I see little or no reason why the Soul will not continue to dominate the three-way sales race with the Scion xB and Nissan Cube (currently, as mentioned above, it outsells the xB some 8 to 1). Kia seems to have addressed some of the complaints and annoyances of the original 2009 version with a far more flexible transmission, additional sound insulation in the body, more solid-closing doors, better exterior fit/finish, and a reasonably-smooth ride. Space efficiency inside remains cavernous. Gas mileage, though not to hybrid/diesel standards, is reasonably good, though the rather boxy aerodynamics do take a toll. Reliability has also been reasonably good, though, of course, not quite up to the level of the Toyota-built Scion xB.

But, IMO, a couple of flaws still remain on the new 2014 version. The main one is the park-bench, slab-like front and rear cloth seats, which are still too firm for my tastes....IMO, Kia needs to put some Buick-like padding in them. The lack of even a temporary spare tire is not very encouraging if you get a flat in an area where help is not readily available...and those inflatable tire-seal systems, while sometimes getting you to the nearest tire shop, can sometimes mess up the automatic tire-pressure indicators now standard on all new American-market cars. The automatic transmission's $2000 added price on base-model Souls seems excessive (Hyundai and Kia have both raised prices substantially on their entry-level products in the last few years). And there are, IMO< unnecessary paint-color limitations on the base models as well.

But.....given both the plusses and minuses.....is this vehicle, IMO, worth what it cost? You bet......and the sales number seem to verify that.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-13 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-03-13, 01:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

taking interior ugliness to new heights

Old 12-03-13, 01:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
taking interior ugliness to new heights
Agreed that the black monotone is not my thing either (a two-tone leather is available on Plus models), but the hardware is actually quite good. Nothing inside has a flimsy cheap feel except the headliner...but the seat padding, IMO, leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 12-03-13, 01:37 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Is it bad that I like the interior design? lol
Old 12-03-13, 01:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

reminds me of a pontiac grand am...
Old 12-03-13, 01:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
reminds me of a pontiac grand am...

Agreed to some extent. Pontiac was notorious for those second-rate monotone interiors they did. But the hardware in the new Soul beats that of ANY Pontiac, and Kia also wisely avoided that red-orange dash lighting Pontiac used...it is the more conventional white back-lit.
Old 12-03-13, 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Is it bad that I like the interior design? lol
Not particularly visually-appealing, but I've seen lots worse.
Old 12-03-13, 04:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review. It's a nice overall vehicle that's perfect for the younger crowd, but nothing about it screams to me that I need to buy one let alone drive one.
Old 12-03-13, 05:45 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Buttons are migrating from center stacks to the steering wheel. But the floor hinged accelerator pedal is a nice touch.
Old 12-03-13, 07:04 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Without a doubt, the busiest instrument panel I've seen in an automotive application. Talk about driver distraction!

With something like 16 buttons on the wheel alone, it looks like Kia has taken our more recent developments in fighter cockpits (and game consoles) to heart. The idea was once to put all critical controls on the throttle and stick to allow the pilot to access the really important stuff from buttons and levers literally at his fingertips HOTAS (Hands On Throttle-And-Stick) works well, so long as functions are instinctive. Then the developers went nuts . . .

Kia Soul

F-22 cockpit. Stick on right, throttle on left, both covered with enough buttons to impress a Kia owner.

They're getting there.
Old 12-03-13, 08:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review.
Thanks. It was a pleasure doing this one, even though there were some things about the car I didn't like. The salesperson was super-nice, and when he found out I wrote up reviews for CL, he asked me abot a lot of things HE didn't know about cars......and even about the Kias that he sold. He actually wanted me to come and join the sales-staff there. I'm retired, though.....I worked enough years.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's a nice overall vehicle that's perfect for the younger crowd, but nothing about it screams to me that I need to buy one let alone drive one.
Originally Posted by lamontbjt
It's a nice overall vehicle that's perfect for the younger crowd
True, the Soul does appeal primarily to a younger crowd, but my brother bought one in his early 50s...and still likes it. And the competing Scion xB, which was also originally aimed at a younger crowd, has also been a more-than-expected hit with older people, too. They like its reliability, space-efficiency, relatively low price, and Scion's, simple, no-haggle buying policy....there's nothing about that that can't appeal to older people, too.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-13 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-03-13, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Without a doubt, the busiest instrument panel I've seen in an automotive application. Talk about driver distraction!
That's actually an upmarket version with the Tech-package, Bob. Base-models (and those without the package) have a noticeably simpler gauge-panel and fewer buttons.

The way that the CL database is set up for posting, it only allows 10 copy/paste Google-images per post, so, when I do a review, I have to pick and choose among the images I'm going to show. I try and give samples of the exterior, interior, dash/gauges, engine-compartment, trunk/cargo area, front/rear seats, and, of course, a nice touch of the automaker's logo. With only 10 images, though, I can't show everything.
Old 12-03-13, 08:48 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm really liking the side vent/speaker design. It's pretty unique.

Great review as always mmarshall. I always enjoy reading them.
Old 12-04-13, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie876

Great review as always mmarshall. I always enjoy reading them.
Thanks. That's why I do them....for you guys.

I'm really liking the side vent/speaker design. It's pretty unique
Those vents and speakers are also done with surprisingly good materials...even more so than the rest of the interior. In fact, very little inside really felt cheap except for the headliner and the hard plastic for the otherwise thick and strong sun-visors (and, of course, the seats could use more padding). Looks-wise, though, the monotone interior, in general, is not my cup of tea.
Old 12-06-13, 12:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As a total concept, I really like the Soul, particularly for its use of space in a small footprint. That instrument panel on the lesser models is a bit more tolerable . . . . but look out for what's in the pipeline next. The 2015 Mustang has taken the fighter-pilot GUI to new heights -

If you can't read the fine print in the speedometer, it says "Ground Speed MPH" . . . just to remind you that you're not flying.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Soul