Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus's latest commercials & Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 01:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The new Lexus commercials are targeting a specific audience. Young, hip 30 something urbanites.

The actors/models in Caddy and even Buick (of all brands) commercials, are the same.
Old 12-02-13, 02:53 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I love the 2013 GS450h commercials! oh wait.........
Old 12-03-13, 04:58 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb AutoNews

Lexus' boss says it will be tough to regain the U.S. luxury sales crown from German rivals, but the brand is changing advertising methods to help dealers better compete.

Starting in January, Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury brand will shift to what the advertising community calls an "always on" model for its dealer advertising associations, said Jeff Bracken, Lexus Division general manager. In the past, the brand's advertising presence has faded for a week or 2 every month.

The reason? While Lexus' 110 dealer advertising associations were constantly reacting to changing market conditions with new commercials, they were hamstrung by having to place individual "dealer tags" for all 233 retailers at the ends of the spots. That time-consuming process meant delays before the commercials could be aired. Sometimes, typically early in the month, Lexus commercials did not air.

Now, Lexus will place general "See your local Lexus dealer" messages at the end of some spots. "Most people know who their local Lexus dealer is," Bracken said.

In crowded metro areas, individual dealers will still be tagged in their specific territories. On occasion, commercials promoting high-volume vehicles such as the RX crossover and IS sedan may also get specific dealer tags. But lower-volume vehicles, such as the GS sedan, might gain more airtime if produced just with, "See your local dealer" tags, Bracken said.

"The GS doesn't get the marketing resources as often as it should. We're trying to manage our resources," said Bracken, who was named general manager in March. Since joining Toyota in 1978, Bracken spent most of his career in the field before being named vice president of Toyota Division sales in 2010.

Bracken expects Lexus' advertising budget to increase in 2014, both nationally and in regional and local dealer association spending. Lexus spent $280 million in 2012, according to latest figures available from Kantar Media.

Lexus sold 244,166 vehicles in the United States last year and expects to finish this year between 260,000 and 270,000 units. With a growing industry, and the arrival of the RC coupe and NX compact crossover in 2014, Bracken predicts "bumping up against 300,000" units, a mark topped only in 2005-07.

Still, Bracken doesn't expect Lexus to catch its biggest German competitors, who are plotting further sales gains by offering lower-priced cars. Mercedes-Benz now sells the CLA sedan, which starts at less than $30,000, and BMW is lowering its entry price with the 1 series.

"I would love for Lexus to be the No. 1 luxury brand again," Bracken said, referring to the title held from 2000 through 2010.

"But as some of our competitors head below $30,000, it will be extremely difficult to reassert that lead position. We don't have any plans to head below 30. We don't feel that's where luxury vehicles should compete. That's what Toyota and Scion are for."
Old 12-03-13, 07:08 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus used to put emphasis on the 'Persuit of Perfection' slogan.

Haven't heard that in a while..

Last edited by yowps3; 12-03-13 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-03-13, 10:11 PM
LexFather

I don't mind the new ads, some are more artsy than normal but clearly not aimed for me. I think the O.P's opening post was hilarious

This one is still incredible

Originally Posted by Habious
I honestly don't get the point of the December to Remember ads. The idea of giving the gift of a new Lexus to your spouse, with a big red bow on it.

I know that there are people in the world with the means to do this but, I think they're few and far between.

It's a nice idea, in theory. But in practice...not so much.

If I brought my wife outside the house on Christmas morning to show her the new Lexus I bought her, with the big red bow on top, she would look at me and say...

"You made a fifty thousand dollar purchase...and didn't even DISCUSS it with me???"
Did it for my mother before…I bought my own bow…it was an unforgettable moment…

The gest it to maybe give a nice gift, a Lexus…it works…

Old 12-04-13, 07:48 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

All car commercials suck......besides Porsche and the Mercedes Christmas commercials, besides those i just change the channel
Old 03-03-14, 03:53 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AutoNews

Lexus is offering a new interactive channel through Comcast -- a 1st in any industry -- that it hopes will entice luxury buyers while providing a new look at the brand.

The channel, which was launched in February, features photo galleries and games along with on-demand TV content such as the Lexus-produced "Verses and Flow" poetry show and "Shut Up and Drive," a show geared toward car lovers.

Lexus says it is intrigued by the sheer scale of the Comcast subscriber base, which has around 20 million video-on-demand subscribers. Lexus worked with Comcast on the design.

The channel has a main screen in the center for viewing content. It is flanked by 3 selectable images showing the other options available; whichever 1 is chosen takes over the center screen. Beneath the center screen, other options are offered; people can ask for a brochure, select a photo gallery or play an on-screen maze challenge with their remotes.

The channel also has an online hub based on the TV layout, minus the maze, in which Lexus can use Polk vehicle registration data to direct advertisements toward its targeted audience. Users will be able to click on banner ads online that are linked to lexus.com.

Subscribers can see the content on their TVs from the Xfinity On Demand menu or Xfinity TV Remote app and on the Web at xfinity. com/tv. The channel is 892 or 992, depending on the market.

Lexus Media Manager Teri Hill called the channel a "full-branded experience" that shows another side of Lexus.

"With Comcast, we're looking at this as trying to reach an audience beyond a 30-second TV commercial," Hill said.

Automakers have dabbled in the on-demand space before on Comcast, but not with this level of interactivity. In the past, Ford Motor Co. and General Motors have made advertising available in the on-demand menu where people could view them at their convenience.

Lexus will be able to drive people to the channel through its TV commercials. When a Lexus spot airs, a clickable box will appear on the screen that "telescopes" people to the interactive channel.

Such telescoping overlays have registered a .08% click-through rate when other companies have used them, said Davina Kent, vice president of Comcast Media 360.

Because Comcast knows how many clickable boxes were displayed to consumers, Kent said, it can determine the number of people who clicked the "view now" option and calculate the rate.

Lexus' 1st run with the channel ends this month. Another push is set for May.

"An experience like this is going to be driven by manufacturers around branding and that sort of thing," Kent said. "Given the fact that we have the lead generation opportunity there as well, and given that we work with all three levels of auto advertisers, there's an opportunity to use the telescoping and possibly the rich media with the people in their dealer network to give the experience more legs."
Old 03-03-14, 07:13 AM
jsanders
Driver

I thought this ad was awesome. Makes me really want to buy a LS if I could afford one.

Old 03-03-14, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That's a good one about the LS's history and Lexus's commitment to perfection
Old 03-04-14, 05:52 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's a good one about the LS's history and Lexus's commitment to perfection
Why did they change their slogan?

'The Persuit of Perfection' was very nice and reflected the product.

Amazing in Motion? Why change a good thing?
Old 03-04-14, 06:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Pursuit of perfection is still the slogan, they still flash it at the end of the commercials. Amazing in motion is just a sub-slogan, or the name of the collection of commercials.