Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda reveals three new turbo VTEC engines, including Civic Type R 2.0L

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-13, 10:57 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Are they ever going to bring the Type R to the US?? These guys are morons for not bringing it here. We have one of the largest tuner scenes on earth here in the states so what the hell is going through their minds
Old 11-20-13, 11:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Are they ever going to bring the Type R to the US?? These guys are morons for not bringing it here. We have one of the largest tuner scenes on earth here in the states so what the hell is going through their minds
is Type R even interesting anymore? 280hp that does 0-60 in 5.8s?

I wish they made it AWD and not FWD.
Old 11-20-13, 12:09 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, new 1.5l should be faster and more efficient than 2.4l they use currently. It should be that way anyway.
Well if it's anything like Ecoboost then it would be slower and guzzle more gas.
Old 11-20-13, 12:41 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
is Type R even interesting anymore? 280hp that does 0-60 in 5.8s?

I wish they made it AWD and not FWD.
Honda was always known for making great handling FWD cars. Their civics, accords of days yonder and integras have such a direct connection to the road. AWD would muddle that. Plus, it add weight. Honda doesn't like to complicate their cars too much. I respect them for that. Take a look at the Ford Focus ST. It's a FWD monster with some pretty trick traction control and I think an e-diff up front that takes care of the torque steer. An example of torque steer, take a look at the 1st gen Mazdaspeed 3. MB decided to tackle the power with a FWD based AWD system and it's wonderful as well. However, MB can get away with adding cost to their cars because of the premium pricing model they use. Honda would have to spend more money of developing an AWD system to incorporate that into the new civic type-r. it wouldn't be so appealing if a new civic type r moved up in pricing and ended up costing more than their competition.
Old 11-20-13, 01:09 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
Honda was always known for making great handling FWD cars. Their civics, accords of days yonder and integras have such a direct connection to the road. AWD would muddle that. Plus, it add weight. Honda doesn't like to complicate their cars too much. I respect them for that. Take a look at the Ford Focus ST. It's a FWD monster with some pretty trick traction control and I think an e-diff up front that takes care of the torque steer. An example of torque steer, take a look at the 1st gen Mazdaspeed 3. MB decided to tackle the power with a FWD based AWD system and it's wonderful as well. However, MB can get away with adding cost to their cars because of the premium pricing model they use. Honda would have to spend more money of developing an AWD system to incorporate that into the new civic type-r. it wouldn't be so appealing if a new civic type r moved up in pricing and ended up costing more than their competition.
Honda has it's own AWD system and let's not forget they produce the amazing SH-AWD. They are more than capable. They just refuse
Old 11-20-13, 01:19 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Yup brilliant engineers at Honda, held back by stubborn and ultra-conservative mis-managers. One wasted decade down, and another on the way.
Old 11-20-13, 02:03 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Honda has it's own AWD system and let's not forget they produce the amazing SH-AWD. They are more than capable. They just refuse
But the thing is it's not cheap to do R&D to get it to work optimally in the civic. Add to that the cost of the system over their FWD setup and then the civic type r is now going to cost a few grand more. Therein lies the issue. Cost, weight and complexity.
Old 11-20-13, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by nabbun
But the thing is it's not cheap to do R&D to get it to work optimally in the civic. Add to that the cost of the system over their FWD setup and then the civic type r is now going to cost a few grand more. Therein lies the issue. Cost, weight and complexity.
Quite frankly I don't know what $$$ they put into their R&D these days. Probably seeds. And they wonder why consumer interest or those seeds for that matter don't grow
Old 11-20-13, 02:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Type R models were always about 'less is more'. AWD is going to add weight, period.
Old 11-20-13, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yowps3
Well if it's anything like Ecoboost then it would be slower and guzzle more gas.
hopefully by doing it in 2014, they will not make same mistake as Ford... Same goes for Toyota's new 2.0t.
Old 11-20-13, 06:30 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Yup brilliant engineers at Honda, held back by stubborn and ultra-conservative mis-managers. One wasted decade down, and another on the way.
Sounds like how things used to be run at GM. At least Honda managers had the foresight to not let quality slip that badly.
Old 11-20-13, 07:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Quite frankly I don't know what $$$ they put into their R&D these days. Probably seeds. And they wonder why consumer interest or those seeds for that matter don't grow

Here is one pic from Tokyo auto show today I think.

Guess who is at helm of Toyota and Honda respectively.

Wont be hard
Old 11-20-13, 07:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Here are two more:

JOINING THE ACT: Toyota Motor Corp’s President Akio Toyoda, top left, took photos of Honda Motor Co’s President and CEO Takanobu Ito, not pictured, during a Honda presentation at the 43rd Tokyo Motor Show ion Wednesday. (Toru Hanai/Reuters)
Old 11-20-13, 10:52 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Akio seems to be a fun guy
Old 11-20-13, 11:03 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Whenever any company or brand becomes too Americanised with a significant American management influence, quality and engineering go down for the sake of shareholder profit.

Quick Reply: Honda reveals three new turbo VTEC engines, including Civic Type R 2.0L