Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 12:05 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Toyota already got a response to this real SUV thing..
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee-image.jpg  
Old 10-26-13, 11:25 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
ya but nobody really takes their suv off roading any ways.

the GC is good for 2/3 of the 4 runner or highlander price.

jeeps just have horrendous resale value so they will have go give up the premium that toyota's and lexus automatically get.
I've been on the fence for years to finally get an American car, the Jeep GC was going to be it, then I read the Edmunds and forum reviews of owners, the first 10 pages were people complaining about the transmissions failing, or the entire car just shutting down. I gave up the dream, considered teh 4Runner but its just fugly inside. I'm going to settle for a new Santa Fe, not as sexy, but reliable, good gas milage and a decent interior. Toyota can't even hang with Hyundai now

My neighbor has a Jeep Liberty and a few times a year she has a mobile mechanic fixing it so she can get to work. My g/f also has a Liberty, and now at 80k miles its falling apart, we spent the last 3 weeks with a new issue.

Last edited by toy4two; 10-26-13 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-27-13, 11:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I may be one of the only members here who is a longtime Lexus owner who also has a new generation JGC.

I won't address the real SUV thing beyond the fact that the JGC is the most awarded SUV ever, and many of those awards are for off road ability. Unibody or not, this is a real SUV.

We've had our JGC for 25 months and put just over 36,000 miles on it. Ours is a Laredo X, so it has leather, moonroof, navigation. Sticker was $39,900 we paid just under $33k for it. On the value scale I would say its a huge value.

Overall very happy with the vehicle, interior is very nice, comfortable, excellent materials. I think its the best looking SUV on the market by a wide margin (I like the front of ours better than the 2014 refresh personally). We just got back from a 800 mile trip in the JGC and my wife and I were commenting that aside from my Dad's two LSs, the Jeep is the best road trip car I have ever had. It rides great, its very quiet. Overall, just a really nice vehicle.

The issues come with reliability and dealer support. Ours has had a LOT of small, annoying electrical issues. We've had over 20 individual issues from switch panels that stop working, the HVAC panel was replaced, we had a leak that wound up being sunroof drains that were never connected from the factory, brakes were really corroded at 25k miles and needed new rotors, we've had a couple rattles but nothing terrible. Dealer service is poor, and as a company Chrysler does not offer loaners, so having to have it in the shop for a couple days every time it goes in is a huge imposition. They always have to order parts, which means I have to go back twice for many concerns (we drop it off tonight to have parts installed tomorrow actually).

Being a longtime Lexus/Toyota owner, its definitely a different experience in that regard. BUT, this vehicle is FAR nicer than anything made by Toyota, and IMHO far nicer than something like an RX. I would never even consider a 4Runner over this Jeep, even with my issues.

Would I buy another? Its such a great vehicle I'm considering trading it in on a 2014 Overland just like the one in those pictures...so yes. Even with less than stellar reliability, its just so much nicer than anything remotely close to it in price.