Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Auto leasing surges to record high

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13, 11:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Of course leasing is the right fit for you because you want a new car every 3 yrs. You actually paid your accountant and financial planner to tell you that? The fact of the matter is over the long run your paying more for the lease.
Right...so for me there is a financial benefit.

And no...I do not pay my financial planner and accountant for every conversation we have.

These types of products favor the bank. When fixed rates are low there is really no benefit to doing an ARM or any other of these types of products other than for qualifying purposes. There is rarely a time when these products have a good function for the consumer and cannot be compared to leases that have virtually no risk. I still disagree with you that any of these can be used as effective financial tools.
I never said they had a place in every financial climate or for every borrower, I said they do have a place in certain situations. Even with low fixed rates, ARMs are lower...if you're only going to own the property for 5-7 years an ARM might be a good fit.

I think I stated that the "majority" not "all" people who lease do not have a substantial net worth.
I think the bottom line is you need to worry about yourself and stop worrying so much about what other people are doing.

Even though some people may know how leasing works and can get a great deal, on average, the dealership profit on a new car lease is TWICE that of a regular car purchase.
Explain how?

Read up on Robert Shiller, the Nobel Prize winner in Economics. Homeownership was considered an investment in the 2000's when it was a FAD. It depreciates, takes maintenance, and goes out of style. And mortgage interest is only deductible if you take the itemized deduction when filing your taxes. As I stated, renting a house and renting/leasing a car give the same result. No Equity in the end.
I guarantee you very few people who bought a home and then sold it 20 years down the line consider it a poor investment. The bottom line is homeownership is the greatest source of American wealth, thats just a fact. Homeownership is not a fad.

Unless you live somewhere that has very low home values, the MID makes it so you have no choice but to take the itemized deduction when filing your taxes. The vast majority of taxpayers benefit from the MID.

Since you own a business and want a new shiny car every 3 yrs, yes it makes perfect sense for you to lease BUT for the average consumer there is NEVER a financial benefit to leasing a car. You can't say that leasing a car is a priority and then say investing is a priority. It's one or the other. If investing was such a priority for you then you wouldn't be leasing cars.
Thank you for your perspective on what can and cannot be a priority for me. People have multiple priorities. I have plenty of income to both lease my car that I enjoy and invest for the future, as well as to live a wonderful lifestyle with my family.

Theres still a benefit to the average consumer IF they are going to trade out of a car every few years anyways.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-15-13 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 12:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

hard to believe this thread is still going.
Old 10-15-13, 12:17 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Why do I want equity in my car? Hell...I don't even want equity in my house quite frankly. I want it leveraged and that equity making money somewhere else. I want that mortgage as fat as it can be as long as I'm paying taxes and needing deductions and rates are low.

Because while investing is a priority, enjoying my life is also a priority. Yes its a luxury purchase, and there absolutely is a financial benefit to leasing a car depending on the person or situation.
My lease payment is $700.
This just doesn't make sense. You want your mortgage as large as it can be, which means, it’s the most you can afford. You also have a $700/month lease payment on your car, and you say investing is your priority? I’m sorry but this just doesn't add up. People that make investing a priority don’t purchase brand new cars, plain and simple. They have mortgages that are a tiny fraction of their income. People that make investing a priority find a way to live on less than a small fraction of their income. You obviously have priorities and luxury is clearly one of them but it’s clear to anyone reading your posts that investing is not one of them.
How's the saying go? "Don't tell *me* what your priorities are, show me where you spend your money and I'll tell *you* what your priorities are"
Old 10-15-13, 12:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You misunderstand me about the mortgage. When I say "as high as it can be" I don't mean "as much as I can afford", I mean as high a loan to value as possible. Meaning, I'm not really interested in paying my home off as long as I have income to deduct interest from...and rates remain low.

I don't mean to sound boastful but my car payment is a very small percentage of my monthly income, as is my mortgage. I have plenty of room left in my budget for investing.

People can have multiple priorities. Just because investing is a priority for me doesn't mean I allocate all of my income to investing.
Old 10-15-13, 03:20 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With opportunity comes risk. My portfolio is not that risky and my return is significantly better than what my Lexus lease costs me in interest. If you're seeing a negative return on your investments I think you should seek outside counsel.

The enjoyment is the same FOR YOU. It would not be for me. I don't want to buy a used car, I want the latest technology and styling and features. I want it to be my car from the beginning. I work hard, and I'm going to live my life the way I want to.

Yes and you don't mind paying for it but don;t make it sound like its a great financial choice!!

OF course you would say that investments make more than zero interest. I lived in Vegas 15 years and Always heard of the winner stories. Never heard people say I lost 5 large last night,..Everyone is lucky and everyone who invests is a winner ,No one wants to say they lost,

I Invest too but I do it in the reverse..... I only use profits to buy my three four year old cars, IF I am not in the black I don't buy another car, I keep what we have, In the interim no bank holds the lien, deed or title to my stuff, have Zero payments on anything. We can have it both ways, Drive nice cars and not pay every month for the privilege,

It is not a matter of saving a few dollars "to invest" by not paying cash. If those car buying dollars are THAT important to the portfolio, perhaps a lesser vehicle would be more appropriate?

How much will $20,000 really generate in none risk investments over three years? $2000? In the mean time the Cap reduction cost and $18000 or more would have been used up to "rent" a car you have no equity in. But yeah you are driving a $60,000 "on paper" I get it. IS three year old technology worth $40,000? I don't see it looking back.

Its not about the Interest! Its about the cost of driving that car per month with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Its the banks car. There is where the toilet money is, The money that cannot be invested,

I can see from a personal standpoint how it works but financially it is a major rationalization,.

Last edited by JerryT; 10-15-13 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 03:29 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS350jet
This just doesn't make sense. You want your mortgage as large as it can be, which means, it’s the most you can afford. You also have a $700/month lease payment on your car, and you say investing is your priority? I’m sorry but this just doesn't add up. People that make investing a priority don’t purchase brand new cars, plain and simple. They have mortgages that are a tiny fraction of their income. People that make investing a priority find a way to live on less than a small fraction of their income. You obviously have priorities and luxury is clearly one of them but it’s clear to anyone reading your posts that investing is not one of them.
How's the saying go? "Don't tell *me* what your priorities are, show me where you spend your money and I'll tell *you* what your priorities are"

BINGO....Finally someone who "gets it"

People who are car fanatics and extremely wealthy just buy cars and trade them every few years
They don't lease, They want to know they OWN that car or home or whatever, People who lease just want to drive a really a nice car and pay thousands a year of money that could be invested instead of just owning a Camry or used Lexus.
Old 10-15-13, 06:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JerryT
Yes and you don't mind paying for it but don;t make it sound like its a great financial choice!!
I never said it was! I simply said that if someone is going to be trading a car anyways every 3 years, leasing may save them money. Unlike everyone else here I am not forcing my financial rationale on others.

OF course you would say that investments make more than zero interest.
I know what my money earns me.

I Invest too but I do it in the reverse..... I only use profits to buy my three four year old cars, IF I am not in the black I don't buy another car, I keep what we have, In the interim no bank holds the lien, deed or title to my stuff, have Zero payments on anything
I'm glad that works for you. I don't want to drive 4 year old cars so it doesn't work for me. Even if I did buy a 4 year old car...I wouldn't pay cash unless the cost of a loan was higher than the return I was getting on that money, thats just my financial mindset. If its not yours, thats fine.

In the mean time the Cap reduction cost and $18000 or more would have been used up to "rent" a car you have no equity in. But yeah you are driving a $60,000 "on paper" I get it. IS three year old technology worth $40,000? I don't see it looking back.
Again...I am not saying its not cheaper to buy a used car and keep it, in fact I said repeatedly that was cheaper. However...I don't want a used car. I will not buy one, cheaper or not. When you compare the cost of leasing the car vs buying it and trading it after three years leasing is cheaper for me, when you factor in the tax savings its even cheaper. If that doesn't work for you fine, but don't tell me and others what works for us.

You can't buy a good 3 year old GS for $20,000. Buddy of mine bought a 2010 the same day I bought my 2013, he paid $37k. The negotiated price of my 2013 was $54k. So...the new technology would have cost me $17,000 had I paid cash at that moment...not $40k. Is it worth $17k to me to have the new model car and features over the previous model? Frankly yes. If I could only spend $37k I'd lease a new car at that price point.

Its about the cost of driving that car per month with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. Its the banks car. There is where the toilet money is, The money that cannot be invested, I can see from a personal standpoint how it works but financially it is a major rationalization,.
LOL, I don't care. Quite frankly, I have plenty of disposable income and I enjoy driving a new car...so that's what I'm going to drive...and leasing saves me money over buying and trading so that's what I'm going to do.

Worry about yourself, I'm doing just fine.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-15-13 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 09:36 PM
JerryT
Rookie

Exclamation

I never said it was! I simply said that if someone is going to be trading a car anyways every 3 years, leasing may save them money. Unlike everyone else here I am not forcing my financial rationale on others.

I know what my money earns me.

I'm glad that works for you. I don't want to drive 4 year old cars so it doesn't work for me. Even if I did buy a 4 year old car...I wouldn't pay cash unless the cost of a loan was higher than the return I was getting on that money, thats just my financial mindset. If its not yours, thats fine.

Again...I am not saying its not cheaper to buy a used car and keep it, in fact I said repeatedly that was cheaper. However...I don't want a used car. I will not buy one, cheaper or not. When you compare the cost of leasing the car vs buying it and trading it after three years leasing is cheaper for me, when you factor in the tax savings its even cheaper. If that doesn't work for you fine, but don't tell me and others what works for us.

You can't buy a good 3 year old GS for $20,000. Buddy of mine bought a 2010 the same day I bought my 2013, he paid $37k. The negotiated price of my 2013 was $54k. So...the new technology would have cost me $17,000 had I paid cash at that moment...not $40k. Is it worth $17k to me to have the new model car and features over the previous model? Frankly yes. If I could only spend $37k I'd lease a new car at that price point.

LOL, I don't care. Quite frankly, I have plenty of disposable income and I enjoy driving a new car...so that's what I'm going to drive...and leasing saves me money over buying and trading so that's what I'm going to do.

Worry about yourself, I'm doing just fine.
You spend a lot of time and energy trying to convince strangers of your "success" and financial wizardry!!

I know why you lease now

BTW You are driving a used car right now..........But I won't tell anyone. Live your fantasy

Last edited by JerryT; 10-15-13 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-15-13, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

JerryT exit this thread
Old 10-16-13, 05:38 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Right...so for me there is a financial benefit.

And no...I do not pay my financial planner and accountant for every conversation we have.
I'm confused, where is the financial benefit to you if you are paying MORE over time?

I think the bottom line is you need to worry about yourself and stop worrying so much about what other people are doing.
So my opinion somehow equates to me worrying about other people? Ok

Explain how?
I saw the numbers somewhere in a publication. Sorry I don't have the time to dig them up but it's a pretty well known fact in the dealership industry that more profit is derived from leasing cars.

I guarantee you very few people who bought a home and then sold it 20 years down the line consider it a poor investment. The bottom line is homeownership is the greatest source of American wealth, thats just a fact. Homeownership is not a fad.
You're right, a Nobel Prize winner in economics has no clue what he's talking about but you have it all figured out.

Not only do home prices, on average, not produce real returns over time, but history shows they could actually decline over the long haul. Also, who wants to buy a house with 30 yr old roofing, old appliances, carpet etc. You have to remember to adjust prices for years of maintenance and repairs. Just take a look at the home price index's over the last 20 yrs and there hasn't been a huge increase.

You buy a house to live in it, put a roof over your head, not invest in it. If you want to invest in housing. buy rental or commercial properties. Buy bank owned properties, fix them up and sell them for a profit but buying an owner occupied property as an investment is nothing but a fallacy.

Unless you live somewhere that has very low home values, the MID makes it so you have no choice but to take the itemized deduction when filing your taxes. The vast majority of taxpayers benefit from the MID.
This is a fallacy. I don't live in a community that has low home values and I still have to take the standard deduction because it's still higher than if I took the itemized deduction.
Thank you for your perspective on what can and cannot be a priority for me. People have multiple priorities. I have plenty of income to both lease my car that I enjoy and invest for the future, as well as to live a wonderful lifestyle with my family.

Theres still a benefit to the average consumer IF they are going to trade out of a car every few years anyways.
Never heard a true investor say leasing cars was a priority to them. To each his own.
Old 10-16-13, 06:30 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 503 Likes on 312 Posts

Who says you have to pay more if you lease? With artificially inflated residuals and discounted money factors it can be the cheapest way to drive a car for three years or so. The purchase price doesn't change depending upon how the deal is financed and if you bought you could suffer depreciation greater than the estimated residual set by the leasing company.

Dealer profit on any deal is wholly contingent dependent upon the buyer's level of knowledge and understanding, not the means of financing.
Old 10-16-13, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I'm confused, where is the financial benefit to you if you are paying MORE over time?
I'm not paying more over time. Like I have said 20 times, I am going to buy a new car anyways every 3 years. That is what I want to do and will do. Because of that fact leasing makes it so that I spend LESS over time because it is less expensive that buying a new car and trading it in every three years. Leasing also nets me a bigger tax deduction over 3 years. THAT is the financial benefit.

So my opinion somehow equates to me worrying about other people? Ok
Theres nothing wrong with your opinion. Your financial rationale is sound, and it works for you which is great. However, this is not an objective discussion of opinions...you and Jerry are making value judgements about the wisdom of our decisions (mainly my decisions) and somehow this has turned into a discussion of MY finances.

Your way is not the only way...my way works for me and accomplishes my goals. Your way works for you and accomplishes your goals. Hence my suggestion that you worry about yourself and your own finances.

I saw the numbers somewhere in a publication. Sorry I don't have the time to dig them up but it's a pretty well known fact in the dealership industry that more profit is derived from leasing cars.
don't doubt that, but the reason for that is how easy it is for dealers to hide profit in a lease, not the lease product itself. When a lease is calculated correctly, theres no more profit in it than a finance. All it really is is financing.

You're right, a Nobel Prize winner in economics has no clue what he's talking about but you have it all figured out.
Not only do home prices, on average, not produce real returns over time, but history shows they could actually decline over the long haul. Also, who wants to buy a house with 30 yr old roofing, old appliances, carpet etc. You have to remember to adjust prices for years of maintenance and repairs. Just take a look at the home price index's over the last 20 yrs and there hasn't been a huge increase.
This is entirely off topic but I'm in the real estate industry and I see the data and I meet people selling their homes after 30 years where they paid $20,000 for it and sell it for $800,000. I see families where their only inheritance is their parents home. The wealth that comes from real estate is real, whether the "actual return" is as strong as that given improvements and costs or inflation is one argument, but there is a return and for most people their home is their greatest source of wealth. When those people get that $800,000 for their home, thats their future.

As to value appreciation over time, it depends on where you live. 30 year average where I live is nearly 8%, and yes that includes years of significant decline. YoY for this year values are up 12%.

You buy a house to live in it, put a roof over your head, not invest in it. If you want to invest in housing. buy rental or commercial properties. Buy bank owned properties, fix them up and sell them for a profit but buying an owner occupied property as an investment is nothing but a fallacy.
That doesn't make sense. So, I'm an idiot for leasing a depreciating car, but I am also an idiot for buying a house which at least has a fair chance of going up in value (I realize you aren't calling me an idiot). So I should buy my car and rent my house?

How does it make any sense that rental properties are an investment but a primary residence is not. Aren't I just renting my own home if its my primary residence? The costs are the same, upkeep is the same, appreciation potential is the same. I agree rental properties can be an excellent investment, but your logic here doesn't work. Commercial property is a whole other animal with a whole other set of risks.

As for flipping bank owned houses being a safe investment, we will have to agree to disagree. Whether thats effective or not depends a lot on market timing. Right now in my area the demand for the initial bank owned houses is so high (there arent many) you have to pay too much to get one to make the profit you need in the flip. You live in FL, your market sucks...one of the worst markets in the country. Its different depending on where you live. Flipping is very high risk.

This is a fallacy. I don't live in a community that has low home values and I still have to take the standard deduction because it's still higher than if I took the itemized deduction.
I have never met someone in my area that takes the standard deduction unless they rent or own a home outright. The standard deduction for 2013 is $12,200 (married filing jointly. If you have mortgage interest and real estate taxes that total less than $12,200 I certainly would classify you as living in an area where you have lower home values. In my area...for a lot of folks thats just the real estate taxes. My MID and taxes are $35,000...and I live in a simple townhouse. Even if I had 5 children I still couldn't take the standard deduction.

Never heard a true investor say leasing cars was a priority to them. To each his own.
What is a "true investor"? In order to be a "true investor" must the person eschew all other costs or desires in their lives that cost money? What about vacations? Can I be a "true investor" if I spend $5,000 on a vacation? That $5,000 I could invest. What about eating in nice restaurants? Should I always eat Ramen so that I can be a "true investor"?

I never said I was a "true investor" anyways I simply said that I can invest what I want to invest irregardless of whether I spend money leasing my car or not.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-16-13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-16-13, 08:42 AM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leasing is just another form of financing...IF you fully understand 1) "capitalized cost", 2) "residual/buyout" value...and you can correctly analyze the ACTUAL internal "interest" cost rate of the lease...and you plan on buying at the end of the lease term.

To be honest...not many car buyers can actually calculate the TRUE interest factor in the lease. Also, IF I lease...it is still with the full expectation that I will purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease...so the miles/per year and condition at end of lease are of NO concern to me or the lease company since I will buy it at lease end.

Some buyers truly do buy only for the payments and to turn in the vehicle at lease end...that is OK also Tom
Old 10-16-13, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It is true that most car buyers cannot actually calculate and do not understand the way a lease works. You can see that just in how people come here and ask questions about a lease, they just don't understand. All the info is out there, there are great write-ups and tutorials on leasing all over the internet, every consumer needs to make sure they know what they need to know before making decisions.

Where I disagree Tom is when you talk about leasing THEN buying the car. Short of there being some sort of a big rebate when you lease (i.e. Lexus has $3k in rebates on the 2013 GS right now to lease), or if you have tax reasons for leasing, in general its cheaper to just buy the car initially than it is to lease it then buy it out of the lease at the end.

Good leases have high residuals, and a lot of times the buyout terms aren't great.