Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50 vs 2014 Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 01:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
So the Q is a better performance car. Better 0-60, 60-0,1/4 mile, more power, and better driving dynamics. The IS is a little more refined , has a better transmission, and better ergonomics. Seems pretty accurate and similar to what we have seen in other reviews. I would personally go with the Q because, like they said , the " IS is F$%^&ng ugly". I do agree that sports sedans are like mail order brides and nobody wants an ugly wife
Made my day
Old 08-29-13, 05:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
The IS-F Sport is NOT pretty.
I just say the IS headlights take some getting used to (which you shouldn't have to do)...everything else seems pretty sharp IMO

....but personally I much prefer over steer (Q50S) than under steer (IS)...I don't like a car that pushes.

Last edited by bagwell; 08-29-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 06:38 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the Q is a better performance car. Better 0-60, 60-0,1/4 mile, more power, and better driving dynamics.
Better driving dynamics in an autocross setting, that is. In the real world the IS proves to be the better driver's car and that is why it is given the win.
Old 08-29-13, 07:54 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Better driving dynamics in an autocross setting, that is. In the real world the IS proves to be the better driver's car and that is why it is given the win.
That's what I got as well. Interestingly, this MT review did not seem to fault the run-flat tires on the Q50 as some did previously. I think Johnny's main gripes with the Infiniti were the artificial sensations coming from the steering wheel and the twitchy ride/handling. He did seem to think the Q50 was more fun at the limits than the IS. But as you said, on the streets doing 7/10ths, the Lexus just felt more confidence inspiring.

I'd be interested to hear how the non-sport Q50 drives since it lacks the drive-by-wire option.
Old 08-29-13, 07:57 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't even think the Q50 is a better autocross car. The MotorTrend figure 8 is hardly an autocross but just 2 static skidpad loops joined together. On a slalom like Car and Driver or Edmunds does, the Q50's tailhappy nature would pay the price.

The Q50 is a better drag racer but a poorer performance car as defined by handling and twisties. On the winding mountain road, the reviewer was far more confident and secure in the Lexus IS.

Last edited by natnut; 08-29-13 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 08:06 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
I don't even think the Q50 is a better autocross car. The MotorTrend figure 8 is hardly an autocross but just 2 static skidpad loops joined together. On a slalom like Car and Driver or Edmunds does, the Q50's tailhappy nature would pay the price.

Maybe. But the IS with its tendency to plow might also have troubles in a tight slalom.
Old 08-29-13, 08:18 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe. But the IS with its tendency to plow might also have troubles in a tight slalom.
Not according to Car and Driver. The very same RWD IS350 F-Sport beat BOTH the BMW 335i M-Sport and Caddy ATS with Sports Pack on the C and D slalom with the fastest slalom speed.

See here :

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...e-specs-page-5
C&D 610ft slalom :

BMW 335i M-Sport : 45mph
Cadillac ATS 3.6 : 46mph
Lexus IS350 F-Sport : 46.6mph
To put in perspective : the 46.6mph slalom speed of the 2014 IS350 F-Sport equals that of the 2012 C63 AMG

Last edited by natnut; 08-29-13 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 08:40 PM
LexFather

The Q50 S with the manual steering doesn't hold a candle to the IS F sport. The IS is so much more balanced and confidence inspiring. The Q50 S is sporty but lacks communication. The rear of the Q50 will snap out if you are not careful.. The IS is such a fine driving car you would really have to be wringing it out to let that happen.

If some of you haven't driven the new IS or GS F sport you really don't know what you are missing. They are incredible driving cars from the steering wheel, to the sound to the handling which seems to read you mind.

The IS overseas has the rear steer as an option, sadly it is not an option here. In the GS it really adds another level of handling and emotion.. Doing turns is a joy.

The Q50 S reminds me of how the old GS used to drive. I have no idea why they would mute and calm down a car that had a great fun reputation AND sold well.

Old 08-29-13, 10:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I have to check them out myself. I personally do prefer a stiffly sprung car. I like the more direct feel and the tendency towards over steer. In the end thats what I was shooting for when I tuned the hell out of my old G35. Obviously the balance a car can provide is really key in day to day driving and it seems like most reviews would agree that the IS has one hell of a suspension.....but that grille. Its so busted

Sorry guys just having a laugh. I just wish they would paint the center of the grille the body color to break up that gaping grille. I think because the IS is the smallest car in the line up the huge spindle grille just isnt proportional. On the RX it looks great. On the IS its just too big. I want that warm and fuzzy feeling every time I walk up to my car . That face is not going to give me that feeling. At least not right now. Maybe it will grow on me....
Attached Thumbnails Hoovey Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50 vs 2014 Lexus IS350-2014-lexus-is-620x348.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-29-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-29-13, 10:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

That's what I got as well. Interestingly, this MT review did not seem to fault the run-flat tires on the Q50 as some did previously. I think Johnny's main gripes with the Infiniti were the artificial sensations coming from the steering wheel and the twitchy ride/handling. He did seem to think the Q50 was more fun at the limits than the IS. But as you said, on the streets doing 7/10ths, the Lexus just felt more confidence inspiring.

I'd be interested to hear how the non-sport Q50 drives since it lacks the drive-by-wire option.
I think the best option would be just to ditch the "columnless " steering and go with the Q50S. The Q50S non hybrid is around 300 lbs lighter than the hybrid so the handling and braking have to feel a little better at the limit

Originally Posted by ydooby
Some of us drive on the streets like an autocross events. In the end you want the over steer and sportier set up with the VDC on. The car will feel great when you push it and you have the nannies to bail you out if things get a little nuts. Excited to drive them both. Hopefully sooner than later.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Made my day
Its the truth
Old 08-30-13, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I personally do prefer a stiffly sprung car. I like the more direct feel and the tendency towards over steer.
Well, you certainly have plenty to choose from today. That's the way most (but not quite all) vehicles are being designed today....firm suspension, firm (low profile) tires, and quick steering response, although electric power steering has dulled some of the former tactile road-feel, especially in BMWs. Ride comfort, especially over bumps, has been generally ignored. Only a couple of manufacturers (mostly from Germany) seem to be able to combine sharp handling with a complaint ride...though the new Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Impala are both surprisingly good.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-30-13 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 10:30 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you certainly have plenty to choose from today. That's the way most (but not quite all) vehicles are being designed today....firm suspension, firm (low profile) tires, and quick steering response, although electric power steering has dulled some of the former tactile road-feel, especially in BMWs. Ride comfort, especially over bumps, has been generally ignored. Only a couple of manufacturers (mostly from Germany) seem to be able to combine sharp handling with a complaint ride...though the new Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Impala are both surprisingly good.
I would agree. BMW seems to be able to reach that beautiful balance between comfort and handling better than any other I have seen until recently. Seems like they are softening their cars. The GS wooped the 5 series in handling and I think the 328 has also fallen off the top rank. Not that its bad but I think the rest of the market has finally caught up to and have even surpassed BMW handling
Old 11-14-13, 12:04 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I would agree. BMW seems to be able to reach that beautiful balance between comfort and handling better than any other I have seen until recently. Seems like they are softening their cars. The GS wooped the 5 series in handling and I think the 328 has also fallen off the top rank. Not that its bad but I think the rest of the market has finally caught up to and have even surpassed BMW handling
At some point the whole market is just going to reach an equilibrium. Same car, same features, different look. Pick your favorite badge so to speak
Old 11-14-13, 04:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

As much as I remember from reading the reviews, both IS and GS handle better than 3/5 while also being more comfortable.

So simply said - they have better suspension that manages to do both good handling and good comfort at the same time, something that was BMW was known for and Lexus was not.
Old 06-05-14, 08:18 AM
mindanalyz
Driver School Candidate

Default road bike inside

I drive a 2013 Acura RDX with tech. This is a very fast vehicle with decent amount of power but I dont enjoy the driving dynamics, VCM behavior and suspension, so I have been looking at precisely these 2 sedans [discussed here] thinking of a long term ownership (8-10 years). I like German too but I don't trust their reliability for long term ownership and their pricing for parts.

As you can imagine, I can carry my size 54 road bike inside my vehicle AS IS (without taking the front wheel off) by folding the rear seats; but the truth is that a part of me would love to have a sport luxury sedan (Q50 S or Lexus 350 RWD F sport). So knowing that ...

Which of these 2 sedans would better fix a road bike inside with the least amount of effort [taking the front wheel off]? Issues: trunk space (width, height, design), fold-able seats.

note: I leased a 1st gen IS250 in the past but traded it after 1.5 year because that thing was seriously under-powered. That IS replaced an Audi A4 2.0T and to tell you the truth sometimes I miss that A4: that car was a beast

Quick Reply: Hoovey Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50 vs 2014 Lexus IS350