Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50 vs 2014 Lexus IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 12:33 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review! Especially since I love both of these cars since their inception. I prefer the Q50, but it's so close that it's a toss up most days.

I'm glad both Lexus and Infiniti are stepping up to try and close the gap between the Germans.
Old 08-28-13, 12:44 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Correction:

New Lexus IS and GS have not only closed the gap but overtaken the Germans according to several reviews. The new Infiniti Q50 has yet to prove its mettle.
Old 08-28-13, 02:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very well written write Hoovey. I have not had a chance to drive either yet. I was supposed to drive the Q50 last week but got caught up with the kids doing something else.
Old 08-28-13, 02:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by McMuffin
Great review! Especially since I love both of these cars since their inception. I prefer the Q50, but it's so close that it's a toss up most days.

I'm glad both Lexus and Infiniti are stepping up to try and close the gap between the Germans.
I am a fa of both but the styling on the IS with that gaping grille is a deal breaker for me. I also dont like the way the rear tail lights look. I am sure it will all grown on me like any new model does but I prefer the exterior of the Q with the interior of the IS. Mix these two bad boys and you will have one hell of a car
Old 08-28-13, 02:53 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the interior of the new IS...the Q50 may be a cut above in terms of materials (haven't been in it yet), but the design looks a decade old in my eyes. The interior of the IS is great, IMO.

Most of all, I am glad to hear of the refinements and finesse that have been added to the VQ. That was a sore spot for the old car, and the MPG is nicely improved as well. Props to Infiniti.

I saw a truck of Qs being delivered to a dealer this morning - 5 cars, all lower spec with white, silver or gray exterior. They all had the same split 5 spoke wheels (are they the same as the G37 base rims? I think so...) and really looked quite plain. The models with the bigger tri-spoke dark/light finished wheels look really nice, but the others look incredibly sedate when not optioned up.

EDIT: Yes, these are the same wheels. Cheap move, Infiniti:

vs.
Old 08-28-13, 04:22 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove an IS350 a few weeks ago, I didn't think the materials were cheap. Certainly no worse than the ATS, 3-series, and especially the C-rap-Class.
Old 08-28-13, 05:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by McMuffin

Thanks

Originally Posted by natnut
Correction:

New Lexus IS and GS have not only closed the gap but overtaken the Germans according to several reviews. The new Infiniti Q50 has yet to prove its mettle.
Overtaken in a "driving" sense. Powertrains could still use work with Lexus. With the Germans coming back with luxury and refinement the gap between them all is so close that it'll come down to preference of make and style as most have the same feature content anymore

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
very well written write Hoovey. I have not had a chance to drive either yet. I was supposed to drive the Q50 last week but got caught up with the kids doing something else.
Thanks buddy!

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I love the interior of the new IS...the Q50 may be a cut above in terms of materials (haven't been in it yet), but the design looks a decade old in my eyes. The interior of the IS is great, IMO.

Most of all, I am glad to hear of the refinements and finesse that have been added to the VQ. That was a sore spot for the old car, and the MPG is nicely improved as well. Props to Infiniti.

I saw a truck of Qs being delivered to a dealer this morning - 5 cars, all lower spec with white, silver or gray exterior. They all had the same split 5 spoke wheels (are they the same as the G37 base rims? I think so...) and really looked quite plain. The models with the bigger tri-spoke dark/light finished wheels look really nice, but the others look incredibly sedate when not optioned up.
Design is subjective though I will concur the Q50 interior looks a bit dated. I do enjoy the 3IS's look, but the touch is not worthy of it's price nor L badge

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I drove an IS350 a few weeks ago, I didn't think the materials were cheap. Certainly no worse than the ATS, 3-series, and especially the C-rap-Class.
Go back and touch those steering wheel buttton bezels again. Just plain bad
Old 08-28-13, 05:56 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Default Q50sh

I drove a Q50S Hybrid AWD today... I was extremely surprised by the pick up and handling of the car. I felt like the interior of the car was done very well, with high quality materials. The car I drove was fully tech'd out, and every model except for the base model comes with genuine leather.

I drove an IS350 AWD today as well. Of the 18 IS's that they had, ZERO of them had genuine leather in them. Overall, I liked the IS- it's a unique design and is finally up to par tech wise. When asking the dealer if I could get one equipped as I wanted it, I was told no, because Toyota only offers certain option packages in certain zones of the U.S. (I already knew this from prior Toyota's that I've owned).

If I had to make a purchase today, I'd probably jump on the Q50. I really want to see the Q60 (G37 Coupe replacement) looks like. If there would happen to be an IS coupe, I would consider it, but somehow I doubt that we will see a semi-affordable midsize coupe from Lexus.

Both are great cars- each person is going to find something that they like/dislike about each.
Old 08-28-13, 07:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by teeder27
I drove a Q50S Hybrid AWD today... I was extremely surprised by the pick up and handling of the car. I felt like the interior of the car was done very well, with high quality materials. The car I drove was fully tech'd out, and every model except for the base model comes with genuine leather.

I drove an IS350 AWD today as well. Of the 18 IS's that they had, ZERO of them had genuine leather in them. Overall, I liked the IS- it's a unique design and is finally up to par tech wise. When asking the dealer if I could get one equipped as I wanted it, I was told no, because Toyota only offers certain option packages in certain zones of the U.S. (I already knew this from prior Toyota's that I've owned).

If I had to make a purchase today, I'd probably jump on the Q50. I really want to see the Q60 (G37 Coupe replacement) looks like. If there would happen to be an IS coupe, I would consider it, but somehow I doubt that we will see a semi-affordable midsize coupe from Lexus.

Both are great cars- each person is going to find something that they like/dislike about each.
FYI, both the Q50 and IS come base with synthetic leather. Its an option on both models. The F-sport does not have that option.

Old 08-28-13, 07:20 PM
teeder27
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blueprint
FYI, both the Q50 and IS come base with synthetic leather. Its an option on both models. The F-sport does not have that option.
I am aware of that. Infiniti makes genuine leather standard on everything but the base model. Lexus makes it a package. The 50k 350awd I drove still had synthetic leather. I'm not here to argue about it though. Both are good cars.
Old 08-28-13, 08:20 PM
LexFather

I am aware of that. Infiniti makes genuine leather standard on everything but the base model. Lexus makes it a package. The 50k 350awd I drove still had synthetic leather. I'm not here to argue about it though. Both are good cars.
Oh I'm not arguing, just pointing it out. Our Project Q50 S has stayed parked, its nice but I don't feel compelled to go drive it and the software issues really are annoying (now bluetooth won't work). I drove it today and its nice but Lexus really nailed the new IS/GS. Jumping in the GS or IS F-sport is a revelation in how good they drive. Funny how tables have turned in how the vehicles drive. As you stated the IS and Q50 are both good with pros/cons and neither is terrible where you can't recommend one or the other.

However I'm active in the Q50 forum and many of us early adopters have tons of issues and now even more issues are popping up with braking, steering etc. Not sure how this all wasn't sorted out when they delayed the launch twice.

We all were curious why the Q50 was not tested like the IS these past few months and it all makes sense now. The current reviews have the Q50 losing every time so far. I'm not sure why they would change the formula considering how well received the G35/G37 was.

Old 08-29-13, 09:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Motor Trend did this for their Head 2 Head this week:

Old 08-29-13, 09:58 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Motor Trend did this for their Head 2 Head this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_Da8ZLwB0
That was fun. Not a blow-out by any means. But I agree. The IS-F Sport is NOT pretty.
Old 08-29-13, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I am aware of that. Infiniti makes genuine leather standard on everything but the base model. Lexus makes it a package.
True, but you still have to give credit to Lexus for one thing. Unlike a number of other automakers (particularly the Germans), Lexus does the fake-leather correctly. The NuLuxe fake-leather packages I've seen on the CT200 and some other models are so realistic looking/feeling/smelling that, IMO, it is often difficult to differentiate it from the real stuff. This, for example, compared to the stuff used in a number of Mercedes products that, IMO, borders on insulting...especially for the price.
Old 08-29-13, 12:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

So the Q is a better performance car. Better 0-60, 60-0,1/4 mile, more power, and better driving dynamics. The IS is a little more refined , has a better transmission, and better ergonomics. Seems pretty accurate and similar to what we have seen in other reviews. I would personally go with the Q because, like they said , the " IS is F$%^&ng ugly". I do agree that sports sedans are like mail order brides and nobody wants an ugly wife

Quick Reply: Hoovey Review: 2014 Infiniti Q50 vs 2014 Lexus IS350