Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 01:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Yup I was right !! Seems like nobody cares about Pebble Beach on CL. This thread was buried so I created my own thinking that there would be no way we would have "car guys" on this forum and Pebble Beach would not be a busy thread. I was wrong ....again. Last year the greatest car show on earth also got no love on CL. Oh well I guess its more new cars for Club Lexus !!
Old 08-19-13, 02:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This might sounds arrogant to some folks here, but I believe Pebble Beach is beyond the scope of the majority of CL members. This is why there is no traffic in these threads.

Folks here mostly just care about cars under $100k.
Old 08-19-13, 02:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I feel the same way to be honest. I am the type of enthusiast who is a member of the automotive historical society. I like the history . I love the intertwined history of the early auto makers and how the marques and countries battled on the track for glory. Motor racing was a world event. It was THE event for ALL people. I have a huge library of historical video ( not ultimate factories lol ). The cars today are great , but the classic cars from Europe were so much more than just transportation or a thrill ride. It was progress, status, technology, and national pride back in the day but in a very different way. People forget the car isnt that old. This is what makes the classic cars so special. My favorite era is the post WWI era to the early to mid 60s. This time frame is my specialty and my favorite.

Sad but many have no clue about Monaco, Mile Miglia, Targa Florio....etc.
Old 08-19-13, 03:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I pay attention to all special cars, even though I can't afford most of them. History of cars and their companies are interesting too.

It is also fun to see how the 1% live.

Some people think if there is no way they will ever be able to afford something, they don't pay attention to them at all.
Old 08-19-13, 04:05 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never really got into the Concours d'Elegance.

It's too exclusive and hoity-toity. Elitist bastards always looking down on the common folk.

And Pebble Beach doesn't allow motorcycles.

I'd rather go to local car shows. Learn a little something here and there; have nice conversations with hard working people that hand built their cars, rather than people who throw money at someone to do the dirty work. Guys that get grease on their hands and smell of rubber and oil.
Old 08-19-13, 04:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I never really got into the Concours d'Elegance.

It's too exclusive and hoity-toity. Elitist bastards always looking down on the common folk.

And Pebble Beach doesn't allow motorcycles.

I'd rather go to local car shows. Learn a little something here and there; have nice conversations with hard working people that hand built their cars, rather than people who throw money at someone to do the dirty work. Guys that get grease on their hands and smell of rubber and oil.
yes they can be hoity toity BUT they are kind enough to rewind time with their money and have these wrecked pieces of barn garbage turned into 10-20-30 million dollar cars AND they share them with the world by bringing them to these shows. I say kudos to them
Old 08-19-13, 05:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Yup I was right !! Seems like nobody cares about Pebble Beach on CL. This thread was buried so I created my own thinking that there would be no way we would have "car guys" on this forum and Pebble Beach would not be a busy thread. I was wrong ....again. Last year the greatest car show on earth also got no love on CL. Oh well I guess its more new cars for Club Lexus !!
Yeah I compiled that thread last night. Maybe mods can rename it. I included Pebble Beach, Leguna Seca, The Quail, Concour's, Monterey etc..

There's a couple of us on here that care about automotive history
Old 08-19-13, 10:50 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me as a history fan too. In my toy train hobby, though, I'm a runner, not a collector. If I buy a pre-war Lionel train, I run it - I don't just put it on a display shelf. Have similar feelings about cars. All of which means that, no I've not been to the Pebble Beach Concurs (yet) but I have been to the vintage races at Monterey many times - which happens on the same weekend. Between the Concurs, the auctions and the vintage races, there is too much to do.

Normal MO is to go to the historic races on Saturday and go into town on Saturday night, have a nice dinner and wonder around and watch the auctions.

Those who want to talk to the guys with the tools and grease on their hands should go to the Historic races as admission includes access to the paddock and you can stick your nose right up into the engine bays of race cars of all vintages.

It's good! Just wonder around the town and area that weekend and you'll see really awesome cars everywhere on the streets and the roads.

I posted a few pictures on another Char Chat thread - also not much interest there.

OK, so maybe next year I'll go to the Concurs.

Drove all the way down to Monterey again on Sunday and paid another $80 admission just to watch about 40 pre-1975 Porsche 911s race.

Can't afford a vintage race car, but I do operate my own (not at the Historic races):

Old 08-20-13, 09:44 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

http://www.hybridcars.com/acura-nsx-...-pebble-beach/

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/08/18/p...013-acura-nsx/
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance-acura_nsx_pebble-6681.jpg   2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance-acura-nsx-concept-10.jpg   2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance-acura-nsx-at-pebble-beach-640x424.jpg  
Old 08-20-13, 11:12 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah I compiled that thread last night. Maybe mods can rename it. I included Pebble Beach, Leguna Seca, The Quail, Concour's, Monterey etc..

There's a couple of us on here that care about automotive history
Right on Automotive history fans. I have realized recently that when I hit Cars & Coffee with my friends I am the only one jumping up and down when I see these old Ferrari 250/275. We even had a blue Ferrari 250 GTO show up in AZ and I was screaming like a little girl" that car is worth 20-30 million ". My friends looked for a second and then wandered over to the yellow Enzo and Orange Aventador
Old 08-20-13, 03:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

BTW has anyone watched Victory by Design. I think I have watched the entire series 8 times
Old 08-20-13, 07:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

BTW has anyone watched Victory by Design. I think I have watched the entire series 8 times
no, but you have me intrigued
Old 09-29-13, 09:54 PM
altezzagta
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll contribute:

http://singlelens.net/monterey/2013/pebble/

PBC does allow motorcycles:

I found this bubble top very interesting:

Old 09-30-13, 07:21 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a ridiculous lineup of concept cars!!!!!!!!! Wish I was there.