Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 A5 with 20K miles crashed....totaled or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 07:40 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
get it repaired, get the diminished value money and the trade-in, and get something else.
Agreed 100%. I am particular about cars and would not be able to get over this. Plus I go through cars somewhat quickly so diminished value is a major concern.
Old 08-16-13, 08:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry about the incident, and glad your wife' OK...she's more important than the car.

It's often difficult (but not impossible, especially if you have a good body shop) to get a car, especially one in mint condition, back to perfect running condition after a major accident. Silver and other light-metallics, unfortunately, are also probably the most difficult colors to match perfectly in the paint-shop. I'm not sure, though, about the (previously quoted) 80% repair-estimates for totaling a car, compared to the car's KBB or market-value. That may vary according to the individual insurance company and/or state regulations. Many insurance regulations vary by state.
Old 08-16-13, 11:19 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
This is going to be way more than $11k to repair somewhat properly, I would get rid of this car right after the repair, it will never drive right.
My friends A4 looked exactly like this a year ago, cosmetic damage and suspension damage, car looks and drives like it is brand new
Old 08-16-13, 11:25 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep, I was thinking they will never get this thing perfect (as new)....

I'm demanding only NEW OEM parts, no reconditioned; and will be asking for diminished value -- any idea how much to ask for?

thanks again
You said Allstate in a previous reply, I think that is one reason they are slightly more expensive compared to GEICO, they use new replacement parts up to 3 or 4 years, Geico uses, used parts.

Diminished value, odds are you will get 2 grand left over after the car is fixed, seems like every time I dealt with allstate they way over estimate, incase more underling damage is found, if its leased, long as it looks new its fine
Old 08-16-13, 11:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont think its totaled at all but make sure you take it to the dealership body shop because it may never be the same if some clown does the work
Old 08-16-13, 05:59 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Is this just the walk-around-with-a-clip-board and see what's damage by eyeballing it? this might just the preliminary estimate since the body shop haven't even taken anything off to see other internal damages.
correct...I'm expecting about 4-5 grand more in repairs.

Originally Posted by pman6
if they total it, what are you going to do when they give you half the money you paid for it? Don't audi's lose half their value in 3 years?
funny guy......thanks for your help....retail shows is worth about $34K, I owe about $18K

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
very sorry to hear but glad your wife's fine.

did the other driver get charged with reckless driving or anything?

sadly, the car will never be the same. get it repaired, get the diminished value money and the trade-in, and get something else. it's rough because no matter what, we almost always lose with a car crash that wasn't our fault. the inconvenience alone is huge and such a time waster.

best of luck to you.
thanks man....the other guy admitted he ran a light to the police and was ticketed....there was also a couple of witnesses.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry about the incident, and glad your wife' OK...she's more important than the car.

It's often difficult (but not impossible, especially if you have a good body shop) to get a car, especially one in mint condition, back to perfect running condition after a major accident. Silver and other light-metallics, unfortunately, are also probably the most difficult colors to match perfectly in the paint-shop.
thanks Mike. I'm actually thinking about doing a complete color swap to white at this time -- that's the color she actually wanted anyway...so I'm going to check into it.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont think its totaled at all but make sure you take it to the dealership body shop because it may never be the same if some clown does the work
yep, having Sewell/North Houston Audi work on the car.

thanks for all the help people....
Old 08-16-13, 11:01 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll need a new bumper, headlights, fender, and hood on the cosmetic side. Depending on how your door deformed and how it opens/closes now, you may have serious frame damage, damage to the suspension, and engine. This will not be cheap.
Old 08-17-13, 07:33 AM
05EX
Pole Position

Really, a color swap. I hope you plan on keeping that car forever...
Old 08-17-13, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Sorry to see that mahn

Old 08-17-13, 09:35 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Sorry to see that, glad the wifes okay. But wouldn't a different color make it harder to sell? If i was looking at a car that was in a accident and repainted i would be pretty leery.
Old 08-17-13, 10:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lamar411
Sorry to see that, glad the wifes okay. But wouldn't a different color make it harder to sell? If i was looking at a car that was in a accident and repainted i would be pretty leery.
I'm just contemplating the color change -- and I would just trade it - I hate selling to individuals - especially if its been in a wreck.
Old 09-10-13, 05:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

9-10-13 update --

still on the rack for damage evaluation - moving to repair bay tomorrow
I saw the check Allstate paid to the shop for $18xxx (so far); in the wide shot you can see the intercooler and radiator are bent up and will be replaced, numerous broken suspension pieces and the axle broke/popped out. I also noticed the shock is damaged; I'm going to insist they change both fronts then.

I asked about the time-frame at this point - they said PERHAPS by the end of the month.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 A5 with 20K miles crashed....totaled or not?-a5-rack-9-10-13.jpg   2010 A5 with 20K miles crashed....totaled or not?-a5-2.jpg   2010 A5 with 20K miles crashed....totaled or not?-a5-3.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 09-10-13 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 11:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

10/12/13 UPDATE: car should be ready next week sometime....loving my rental 13 Ford Fusion right now
Old 10-12-13, 01:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

DAMN !!!!!!!!!! 18K and change!?!?!?!?
Old 10-12-13, 01:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
10/12/13 UPDATE: car should be ready next week sometime....loving my rental 13 Ford Fusion right now
glad it's nearly ready, and glad you like the fusion! i think it's a surprise to many who wouldn't consider a ford (not saying you wouldn't).

Quick Reply: 2010 A5 with 20K miles crashed....totaled or not?