Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any thoughts on the Infiniti JX35/QX60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 09:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Default Any thoughts on the Infiniti JX35/QX60?

Drove a JX35/QX50 today. We're 3k miles until the expiration of the warranty for our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We really like the Jeep, but we've had numerous little warranty issues, electrical and otherwise over the last 6 months and I'm contemplating either buying an extended warranty for it or maybe just trading it on something else before the warranty is up.

I liked the JX35 (great deals on the leftover 2013s). Its not exactly the vehicle your dreams are made of but it strikes me as a solid, comfortable, well made 3 row crossover, and with the deals out there on the 2013s a great value. I'm not a huge CVT guy, but it felt okay. I like the new MDX more, but since they just came out one would be significantly more than one of these leftover '13 JXs.

Any CL members have one or have any thoughts? I've never owned a Nissan/Infiniti product either so thoughts there would be helpful too.
Old 08-13-13, 06:34 AM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm also considering the jx35 or the new mix. When you mention great deal on the jx, can you give me a quote on how much the dealer is discounting?
Old 08-13-13, 08:14 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Drove a JX35/QX50 today. We're 3k miles until the expiration of the warranty for our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We really like the Jeep, but we've had numerous little warranty issues, electrical and otherwise over the last 6 months and I'm contemplating either buying an extended warranty for it or maybe just trading it on something else before the warranty is up.

I liked the JX35 (great deals on the leftover 2013s). Its not exactly the vehicle your dreams are made of but it strikes me as a solid, comfortable, well made 3 row crossover, and with the deals out there on the 2013s a great value. I'm not a huge CVT guy, but it felt okay. I like the new MDX more, but since they just came out one would be significantly more than one of these leftover '13 JXs.

Any CL members have one or have any thoughts? I've never owned a Nissan/Infiniti product either so thoughts there would be helpful too.
I rented one for a week recently, they are easily available at budget (and might explain sales). I'll go over the good first

1. The 3rd row is actually useable for adults. It was used quite a bit with 7 adults and while not overly spacious it was better than most 3 row SUVs not Tahoe/Suburban sized. Impressive.
2. CVT shifts smooth. I have a lot of experience and love for CVT's and it works well here and doesn't sound as course as the ones in Nissan's so they must have done something.
3. AroundView. Honestly its cool, there is a button to press on the dash to use it. However as an enthusiast it also made me feel I must suck at driving to need it.
4. Didn't drive or handle that poorly. Honestly I felt it drove better than the new Ford Fusion I had but that might be one of the worst handling new cars around so that isn't saying much (otherwise the Fusion was really well done, more on that later)
5. The glovebox is huge, I mean huge.
6. Very clear lexus-like gauges.
7. Over smooth roads and areas, drives like most SUVs with giant tires, like a car.

Things that just puzzle me
1. The interior is very faux. The wood is faux. The steering wheel either isn't leather or awful leather. The seat leather is awful. It creaked and rattled with 6k miles. It doesn't feel like a luxury vehicle inside but more like a loaded 2004 Accord or Camry with leather and fake wood. Fit and finish was average.
2. Engine is anemic. It uses the old 3.5 V-6. Everyone commented on how slow it was an pickup with people was nonexistent. The good news is it shifts and works well with the CVT.
3. Personally I do not like how it looks. We got the "new van" comment a couple of times. It had the base wheels which didn't help. I'm going to be nice and that is all I will say. Okay it looks a stunt double for "the land that time forgot".
4. Guzzles fuel. To be expected but it was $75 at $5 to fill up with a 1/4 tank
5. Placement of USB ports. Its not just this car and I might start a thread on this. Some car makers obviously have it on the "to do" list with no thought of its actual placement. I nearly broke my arm trying to put it in the car. Contrarily the Ford Fusion was easy to input.
6. Front seats are from the 1999 RX 300. The same old tired seats going in most cars.

So overall it was a huge meh for me. Its amazing to me for people and car brands to debut new cars that are utterly average and very late to the field. Its literally like they aimed for the last generation RX 330 and decided to add a 3rd row and some cameras.

I haven't tried the new MDX yet but to me the PREVIOUS MDX is superior outside of the rear seat and the cameras. That is what puzzles me, this NEW JX/QX isn't better than OLD SUVs like the RX, MDX, Enclave, etc etc.

You can lease them under $400/$500 and they are a 40-55k car. That said i don't feel its a bargain or value, you are getting what you pay for, even less in many areas.
I'm curious to try out the Pathfinder b/c I can't see how its any great leap over it.

So overall, yeah its perfectly fine, perfectly average and I can see why it sells since the average consumers expectations are lower than mine.

Old 08-13-13, 08:34 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good size, but not a fan of the drivetrain with the CVT transmission. Coming from the Grand Cherokee (I had a 2011 Overland), I don't think you'll be quite as happy. The Pathfinder/JX/QXwhatever didn't feel as "substantial" during my test drives.

I absolutely loved my Grand Cherokee and was a little sad to let it go, would have kept it if I didn't get a company car.
Old 08-13-13, 12:23 PM
dknn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously considered getting one last year. At that time I was able to get the price down about 1500 below invoice. The dealer around me has like 30-40 of them on the lot.

I remembered test driving one when they first came out in early 2012 and walking away pretty disappointed in overall build quality. Fast forward to November 2012, I decided to check them out again. I was amazed at the amount of technology available on it, but they seem cheaply made with little regard to QC.

The one model I drove had little nipples all over the top of the headrest and the entire center section between the seats could be easily moved. It was as if the console was not affixed properly. Check out http://www.infinitijxforum.com/forum...scussion-Forum
for more discussions regarding the JX. Other users have complained of QC issues as well.

It is a good value for what you get but in the end I went with another SUV. Also I couldn't get over how awkward it looked at certain angles, plus the standard 18" rims does nothing to help its look. The 20" rims makes it look a bit better.

Last edited by dknn; 08-13-13 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-13-13, 01:33 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Isn't the dash made out of hard plastic on this? I think it's a great looking car, and I want to drive one.
Old 08-13-13, 01:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Any CL members have one or have any thoughts?
I did a full-review when the JX35 first came out. Here...enjoy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...niti-jx35.html
Old 08-13-13, 02:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

JX/QX are now both available at my dealer. Some of my thoughts on it

- arguably one of the better looking 7-passenger SUVs out there
- third row seat headrests are UGLY
- attractive center console (though not liking the rounded/curved base around the shifter) - not a fan of the steering wheel design either
- faux trim is meh
- surprised that the big SUV has only 265hp when the exact same engine in the Maxima puts down 290hp
- nice speedo/tach and multi informational display
Old 08-13-13, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by clickart
I'm also considering the jx35 or the new mix. When you mention great deal on the jx, can you give me a quote on how much the dealer is discounting?
They threw $7k off out there with no effort...I think I could get even more.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I
1. The 3rd row is actually useable for adults. It was used quite a bit with 7 adults and while not overly spacious it was better than most 3 row SUVs not Tahoe/Suburban sized. Impressive.
This to me is the big plus of the vehicle. Its the best third row I've seen in a crossover vehicle. We don't have kids yet, and when we do we will not have this vehicle until they are old enough to enjoy sitting back there, so the need for 3 rows really is for adults when we visit family, etc. I hate having to take two cars if we go out for the day, go to dinner, etc. To me it has a lot of the draw of a Minivan inside without being a minivan.

4. Didn't drive or handle that poorly. Honestly I felt it drove better than the new Ford Fusion I had but that might be one of the worst handling new cars around so that isn't saying much
Yeah I liked how it drove...

Things that just puzzle me
1. The interior is very faux. The wood is faux. The steering wheel either isn't leather or awful leather. The seat leather is awful. It creaked and rattled with 6k miles. It doesn't feel like a luxury vehicle inside but more like a loaded 2004 Accord or Camry with leather and fake wood. Fit and finish was average.
Its kind of interesting, the materials look cheap but when you knock on them they feel expensive. Very weird. The dash material kind of reminded me of the dash material on the 07-12 ES, it has a weird sheen and grain, but is in reality nice and thickly padded. I also noticed the same thing about the "leather" on the steering wheel. I actually thought the seats were very nicely finished and were the best part of the interior. I wonder if there is some sort of leather upgrade for the JX? I haven't looked at packaging enough to be sure.

2. Engine is anemic. It uses the old 3.5 V-6. Everyone commented on how slow it was an pickup with people was nonexistent. The good news is it shifts and works well with the CVT.
I agree...

3. Personally I do not like how it looks. We got the "new van" comment a couple of times. It had the base wheels which didn't help. I'm going to be nice and that is all I will say. Okay it looks a stunt double for "the land that time forgot".
I don't love how it looks but I don't hate it. I would agree its one of the better looking 7 passenger CUVs. Best being the MDX IMHO.

4. Guzzles fuel. To be expected but it was $75 at $5 to fill up with a 1/4 tank
I'm used to that in the Jeep LOL

I haven't tried the new MDX yet but to me the PREVIOUS MDX is superior outside of the rear seat and the cameras. That is what puzzles me, this NEW JX/QX isn't better than OLD SUVs like the RX, MDX, Enclave, etc etc.
I definitely prefer the new MDX, old MDX is too tight in the rear and no keyless entry and start which is a deal breaker for my wife. For the 7 passengers to be of value, adults have got to be able to get in the way back. The new MDX is still an MSRP or $1k off vehicle which makes it like 10k more than a leftover JX.

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Isn't the dash made out of hard plastic on this? I think it's a great looking car, and I want to drive one.
No, it looks like hard plastic but its actually thickly padded.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did a full-review when the JX35 first came out. Here...enjoy
I shall read it, thanks!

Originally Posted by pbm17
I absolutely loved my Grand Cherokee and was a little sad to let it go, would have kept it if I didn't get a company car.
I love ours too, its a great vehicle. We've just had numerous electrical components fail under warranty (several switches and control panels such as the steering wheel switches, door lock buttons, the HVAC control panel, etc) that make me nervous about having it without a warranty. We can buy a warranty, in fact for $2,500 you can buy a lifetime warranty actually.

I may go that route, its hard for me to spend $50k on something I don't really want or love...

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-13-13 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-13-13, 03:07 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Supposedly the wood bits in the JX... er, QX60 are genuine maple.
Old 08-13-13, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They are supposed to be real but I agree they don't look real.
Old 08-13-13, 03:25 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

They are supposed to be real but I agree they don't look real.
I haven't paid much attention but I wouldn't doubt it. Then again the real wood in a lot of lux cars (BMW, Benz, Jag) doesn't look real either. Lexus wood does seem to always look rich and luxuriously authentic though.
Old 08-13-13, 03:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

we were looking at the JX but went with the Sienna limited because of the smaller size and the CVT issues Nissan is having with their cars. Google CVT problems and you will see they have a lot of complaints with CVTs in the Altima, Murano, and the new pathfinder as well. We figured that the new CVTs would be better but when I saw all the issue with the CVT and the brand new pathfinder I said hell no. Just for reference we ditched our 2011 Murano because of CVT issues. Just a heads up. Good luck.
Old 08-13-13, 03:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah to me the CVT is the biggest drawback in general about the vehicle. I don't see us having it longer than the 60k warranty however...

No minivan for us at this point...no kids yet...might change our minds when that changes.
Old 08-13-13, 04:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah to me the CVT is the biggest drawback in general about the vehicle. I don't see us having it longer than the 60k warranty however...

No minivan for us at this point...no kids yet...might change our minds when that changes.
If its going to be less than 60K then go for it. I think its a great vehicle. For us we wanted to play it safe since we want to keep our until closer to 100k

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the Infiniti JX35/QX60?