Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think about the new TLX?
I like it; I think it looks great.
36.36%
I hate it; it looks bland, boring, and ugly.
14.77%
I have mix feelings / It is just ok at best.
48.86%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2015 Acura TLX Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-14, 08:25 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Extremely doubtful that Honda would ever axe Acura. They are far too successful with the MDX & RDX that those 2 models alone are enough to carry the brand.
Is a 2-model lineup enough to maintain a separate premium brand? The parent company has to maintain a complete, duplicate set of just about every little thing, from brochures, manuals, badges for steering wheels, badges for engine covers, to big things like a separate dealership network, different training for dealership employees, etc.

If Acura were merely a sub-brand (like Toyota's Prius or Hyundai's Genesis), that is sold in the same dealerships as other Honda vehicles, it may be possible to maintain a 2-model lineup but I don't think it is enough to maintain a completely separate brand.
Old 03-14-14, 09:27 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Is a 2-model lineup enough to maintain a separate premium brand? The parent company has to maintain a complete, duplicate set of just about every little thing, from brochures, manuals, badges for steering wheels, badges for engine covers, to big things like a separate dealership network, different training for dealership employees, etc.

If Acura were merely a sub-brand (like Toyota's Prius or Hyundai's Genesis), that is sold in the same dealerships as other Honda vehicles, it may be possible to maintain a 2-model lineup but I don't think it is enough to maintain a completely separate brand.
I didn't mean a 2-model lineup to be the only Acura models, I meant a 2-model lineup to carry the brand (as the RX & ES carries Lexus). I just think Acura focuses too much on their sedan success or rather lack thereof. They should just focus their energies on 2 sedans instead of 3 and make them the best they can in their entry level classes. They're not fooling anyone with the RLX and no one is buying it (literally, no one). So, because they're seemingly never going to commit to a real full size proper flagship sedan, I say they should just axe the RLX and focus their attention on the TLX & ILX. But to suggest that Honda is going to do away with Acura, it's just not going to happen. They're still a very successful brand, despite all the deserved criticism. Now Lincoln on the other hand, that's another story.
Old 03-14-14, 11:15 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why has no one put them out of their misery yet?
Old 03-14-14, 11:17 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Holy Hell - all the designers at Acura should go get an eye exam and then get Freaking Fired for putting out such Rubbish.. Jesus Christ, A Damn YUGO looks better..
Old 03-15-14, 03:36 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
A Damn YUGO looks better..
So you're saying if you won a sweepstakes with only 2 options-
1 TLX, or 3 yugos, and you had to drive them for 5 years.....

You'd get 3 yugos. ?
Old 03-15-14, 09:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

so much overblown haterade in this thread. acura's certainly been pretty much a joke in the past decade, but many lexus owners had acura's before.

we all know acura needs a sedan or coupe hit. they've had 'em before, and could have 'em again.
Old 03-15-14, 03:22 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so much overblown haterade in this thread. acura's certainly been pretty much a joke in the past decade, but many lexus owners had acura's before.

we all know acura needs a sedan or coupe hit. they've had 'em before, and could have 'em again.
I never HAD an Acura or Honda. I tried to buy a 1999 TL once, the dealer acted like the car was made of Gold so went bought my Lexus GS, and I never looked back except maybe the NSX..
Old 03-15-14, 03:25 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pman6
So you're saying if you won a sweepstakes with only 2 options-
1 TLX, or 3 yugos, and you had to drive them for 5 years.....

You'd get 3 yugos. ?
I "Said" The Yugo looks better". I won't drive neither of them, I drive a Lexus
Old 03-15-14, 10:04 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I never HAD an Acura or Honda. I tried to buy a 1999 TL once, the dealer acted like the car was made of Gold so went bought my Lexus GS, and I never looked back except maybe the NSX..
I had an 2000 Acura TL and gues what.. it was Goldlol

Super reliable and when I sold it at 144k miles was solid as a rock. I only changed an alternator at 115k miles and had the transmission changed under a recall. That's impressive for those miles.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Acura TLX Discussion-img_4735-large-.jpg  

Last edited by keyframe13; 03-15-14 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-16-14, 11:24 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I had an 2000 Acura TL and gues what.. it was Goldlol

Super reliable and when I sold it at 144k miles was solid as a rock. I only changed an alternator at 115k miles and had the transmission changed under a recall. That's impressive for those miles.
I've owned three different Acuras - (2) TL & (1) RL. Not a single problem with any of them. Only basic maintenance. They are just as reliable as any Lexus and in my personal experience, even more reliable.
Old 03-17-14, 03:02 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

I've owned three different Acuras - (2) TL & (1) RL. Not a single problem with any of them. Only basic maintenance. They are just as reliable as any Lexus and in my personal experience, even more reliable.
not trying to hate, but your statement about it being better than Lexus is Laughable, sorry just saying. I knew a few friends with TL's. I do like them, but heard they had some Tranny issues and a few other probs, surely its not better or more reliable than a GS400.
Old 03-17-14, 03:43 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

not trying to hate, but your statement about it being better than Lexus is Laughable, sorry just saying. I knew a few friends with TL's. I do like them, but heard they had some Tranny issues and a few other probs, surely its not better or more reliable than a GS400.
I never said they were better, I said in my experience (having owned 7 Lexus and 3 Acuras), that my Acuras were more reliable. I had the transmission on one of my LS's fail at only 85k. I've had various different electronic issues with my GS's (radiator went, sensors failed, speedometer stopped working, power locks would work sometimes, then only a few would work, cd changer broke, check engine lights galore). You said you know of a few friends that owned TLs, ok fine. But did you ever personally own one? I speak from experience and from my experience, the Acuras have been more reliable than my Lexuses were. For what it's worth though, I will say that my LS's were far far superior in terms of reliability in my experience than the GS's I've owned were.
Old 03-18-14, 10:24 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

yeah, 2000-2008 were the golden years for TL, it all gone down the drain after that. my wife drives a '09 TL but we only bought that because we got an Accord like deal at the time.
Old 03-25-14, 05:31 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I really hope the production model keeps some of the styling cues from the concept. From those spy shots though, it doesn't look too good. Acura had the prototype at the Fort Lauderdale Auto Show and I thought it looked great.

Old 03-25-14, 08:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Acura had this prototype, or one just like it, at the Chicago Auto Show. It looked great under the bright lights. I liked it. It will be interesting to see how close the model that comes to market is to this one.

Quick Reply: 2015 Acura TLX Discussion