Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
A lot of problems with the Q50 vs the G37 have to do with it's electronic hardware and steering system.
Both Car & Driver and Road & Track agree.

Otherwise the Q50 fit and finish beats the G37 by miles.
Opinions vary on that....but, of course, I respect yours. I haven't reviewed or test-driven one myself yet, so, as of now, I'm going by what other magazines and reviews say.
Old 11-02-13, 04:15 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's something about Hybrids that I cannot stand. The way they steer, brake, sound, feel is not my thing.
Take the Camry and Camry Hybrid. Sure the Hybrid model is 0.5 seconds quicker to 60mph but the steering and brake feel is horrible and I also don't like all the whines and other noises associated with Hybrids.

Very numb feeling things they are. EVs don't have the same issues surprisingly.
Old 11-02-13, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,535 Likes on 1,830 Posts

I find the cabin materials better than the IS and ES
I agree with this...
Old 11-02-13, 05:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
There's something about Hybrids that I cannot stand. The way they steer, brake, sound, feel is not my thing.
Take the Camry and Camry Hybrid. Sure the Hybrid model is 0.5 seconds quicker to 60mph but the steering and brake feel is horrible and I also don't like all the whines and other noises associated with Hybrids.

Very numb feeling things they are. EVs don't have the same issues surprisingly.
It sort if depends on the hybrid. A GSh is very different than a ESh. The stronger power train in the GS helps and the brakes are firmer and not as spongy. Of course there are hybrid quirks that we call hybridisms that are just inherent of hybrid nature so not for everyone things like the whining from regenerative brakes etc..

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I agree with this...
Yeah buddy, we've had the same train of thought for awhile now. There's a reason you have the new GS over the ES
Old 11-02-13, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'm not a huge Hybrid fan, I have not driven the GSh, but I did drive the ESh extensively and it did not strike me as much more refined than our old 04 Prius...

There's a reason you have the new GS over the ES
Yep!
Old 11-02-13, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

like the whining from regenerative brakes etc..
I sure would have liked to have had regenerative brakes and/or the hybrid's strong engine-compression-braking when descending this classic mountain grade in southwestern PA into Uniontown.....over 3 miles at a 9-10% grade. When I used to drive that road (U.S. 40) from MD/VA across the mountains to Ohio, cars with that kind of braking ability were just a dream in the far future. As a young driver, I learned the art of downshifting and speed control on that hill....often with white knuckles and a marked spike in blood-pressure.

(I know I'm a little off-topic, but I just wanted to make a point...that those hybrid regenerative brakes and engine-compression, whining noises or not, can be a real asset at times)

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-02-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 12:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I sure would have liked to have had regenerative brakes and/or the hybrid's strong engine-compression-braking when descending this classic mountain grade in southwestern PA into Uniontown.....over 3 miles at a 9-10% grade. When I used to drive that road (U.S. 40) from MD/VA across the mountains to Ohio, cars with that kind of braking ability were just a dream in the far future. As a young driver, I learned the art of downshifting and speed control on that hill....often with white knuckles and a marked spike in blood-pressure.

(I know I'm a little off-topic, but I just wanted to make a point...that those hybrid regenerative brakes and engine-compression, whining noises or not, can be a real asset at times)

I'm sure it'd have been nice to have that tech then. I know a good number of older ES owners who get CT and HS and ESh loaners and always complain about something regarding the hybrid like the brakes, CVT, quietness etc.. some even have to trade the hybrid loaner back for a conventional gas engine loaner
Old 11-03-13, 03:15 AM
LexFather

Well there are different systems. Lexus hybrid brakes are solid and have gotten better. It seems Infinit's brakes for their hybrids are not ideal since the M35h reviews had the same concerns. The Tesla is really different b/c it doesn't coast, when you let off the gas, the regenerative brake system slows the car down.

I've never heard a whine…but I've also upgraded my GS 450h brakes to a full 4 piece BBK with no issues

Old 11-03-13, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They're definitely a "distinctive Toyota hybrid sound" that is like an electrical whine. In fact, my Dog can hear a Toyota/Lexus hybrid a mile away, she associates them to my wife coming home because she had a Prius for so many years.

I can be walking up to an intersection and hear that sound and know a Toyota/Lexus hybrid is about to appear at the stop sign.
Old 11-03-13, 03:16 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I'm having issues with on the Q50 is that, I want the extra options and features without having to deal with the DAS but I don't think there's any way around it.

I actually prefer the soulless drive of the IS350FS when I drove it.

Last edited by SimTide985; 11-03-13 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 03:57 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
The thing I'm having issues with on the Q50 is that, I want the extra options and features without having to deal with the DAS but I don't think there's any way around it. I actually prefer the soulless drive of the IS350FS when I drove it.
Soulless? You think so? Do you think any of the cars in its class have more soul than the IS? (Legitimate question)
Old 11-03-13, 04:05 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Soulless? You think so? Do you think any of the cars in its class have more soul than the IS? (Legitimate question)
I'm only using the term "soulless" because it's what's been used earlier in this thread.

I honestly don't really know what "soulless" means but whatever it means, I like it.

Last edited by SimTide985; 11-03-13 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-03-13, 04:34 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
I'm only using the term "soulless" because it's what's been used earlier in this thread. I honestly don't really know what "soulless" means but whatever it means, I like it.
Interesting.... It's just different for everyone I suppose. I thought the Q was downright boring to drive. I was quite happy to get back into my GS. To think the IS is even more sport oriented than the GS.
Old 11-03-13, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yardie
I thought the Q was downright boring to drive.
Which sample of the Q were you in? The Active-Steering version has been widely panned by reviewers....including Consumer Reports.
Old 11-03-13, 06:44 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by yardie876
Interesting.... It's just different for everyone I suppose. I thought the Q was downright boring to drive. I was quite happy to get back into my GS. To think the IS is even more sport oriented than the GS.
Haven driven both, the IS definitely has the sportier chassis and suspension

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread