Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: 2015 Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 09:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Spy Shots: 2015 Ford F-150

2015 Ford F-150

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-5950819/

Standing as quite a contrast from the spy shots of the 2015 Ford Mustang we saw earlier today, our spies also sent along these pictures of the next-generation F-150 pickup out testing in its (heavily camouflaged) full prototype body. Much of the new truck's design is hidden under the bulky coveralls, but we expect a lot of its new lines to be inspired by the Atlas concept that debuted at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show.

Perhaps the biggest unknown surrounding the new F-150 is what, exactly, its body will be made of. Earlier reports have suggested that lightweight aluminum materials may be used throughout, offering a serious reduction in weight versus previous models. But Ford engineers will need to be careful, though, as they need to keep a tight rein on costs while preserving class-competitive (if not class-leading) towing and payload capacity.

On the powertrain front, the new F-150 will undoubtedly carry on with EcoBoost engines, and we'd bet on a normally aspirated V8 as well. A diesel option hasn't been confirmed, but we wouldn't be surprised to see one some time in the truck's lifecycle.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/10/2...d-in-the-rain/
Old 06-11-13, 08:35 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the driver giving the photographer the finger? If so, that's funny.
Old 06-11-13, 10:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,406 Posts

wheels look ridiculously small.
Old 06-11-13, 12:19 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Outrage
LOL! Wow, haha, would have totally missed it, had you not pointed that out.

I like that three strip grille they have going on in the front. Hopefully it stays on the production model. Everything seems to have the same general shape. But I guess you cant do too much with a truck design.

I have a pretty good feeling Ford is going to take the half-ton market by storm when it comes out.
Old 06-11-13, 12:31 PM
Hoovey689

This staple Blue Oval is going to roll over the competition

And yes I agree, the driver flipping off the camera is pretty funny
Old 07-24-13, 02:12 PM
Hoovey689

Default Ford to build next F-150, outgoing model concurrently?

Ford to build next F-150, outgoing model concurrently?

Ford is rumored to be considering concurrent production for old and new F-150 models in a bid to minimize supply chain disruptions and inventory. Automotive News is reporting that the Blue Oval will build both the current F-150 and its replacement, which we showed you testing just last month, side by side for about half a year before switching over entirely to next-generation production.

As IHS Automotive analyst Mike Jackson told AN, "In order to ramp up, you have to retool...and that means you have to take capacity offline." Building both models alongside could allow Ford to cope with the still strong demand for the current F-150, while populating dealer supplies and working out supply chain kinks for the new model before making a full-time switch.

A loss of capacity when demand is so strong, even for a short period, could spell bad news for Ford, which nets an estimated 90 percent of its global profit on pickups and large SUVs. As AN states, Ford produces the F-150 in both Kansas City, Missouri and Dearborn, Michigan, which allows it to maintain some degree of flexibility in production. The new F-150 is expected to arrive at the 2014 North American International Auto Show as a 2015 model, with a design inspired by the Atlas Concept first shown at the Detroit Auto Show last January.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/24/f...-concurrently/
Old 07-24-13, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,406 Posts

it wouldn't be the first time they've done that.
Old 08-06-13, 10:07 PM
Hoovey689

Default Ford adds third shift at F-150 plant to keep up with demand

Yup Ford is def going to sell the current F-150 concurrently with the new one

Ford adds third shift at F-150 plant to keep up with demand

The signs have been very positive for Ford's F-Series line of pickup trucks as of late, and after 24 consecutive months of increasing sales of the best-selling F-150, the automaker has added a third production crew at its Kansas City Assembly Plant that includes 900 new hourly workers to meet demand for the truck. This the first step in Ford's plan to add 2,000 hourly jobs at the plant to help meet demand for its trucks and to begin production of the new Transit van, the automaker says.

Despite some tough new competition, sales of the F-Series are the strongest they've been since 2006, according to Ford. The automaker sold 60,449 F-Series in July, the best sales figure for the mid-summer month since 2006, which also represents a 23 percent increase compared to July 2012. From January to July 2013, sales were up 22 percent compared to the same period last year.

Ford has committed to creating 12,000 hourly jobs by 2015, and with the 900 new employees added to the assembly plant in Missouri, the company says it has completed 75 percent of its goal. Ford has also invested $1.1 billion to retool and expand the Kansas City Assembly Plant to ready it for Transit production.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/06/f...p-with-demand/
Old 08-07-13, 12:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

when I snapped a shot of that test mule recently I posted the driver was pissed too. I didnt get the finger but wouldnt have cared if he did anyway. He must have been wondering what the hell was going on when I pulled over on the side of the road when I saw him at a light behind me. Once I caught the new Fusion test vehicle before release and when I was taking pics the driver slowed down to 20mph in a 45mph zone to avoid me taking more pics. It just drove me to take more and drive just as ridiculous as he was
Old 12-16-13, 10:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Next Ford F-150 Delayed by Aluminum Quality Issues

Production of the next generation of North America’s best-selling vehicle might be delayed by almost three months.

The aluminum supplied by Alcoa and other tier 2 suppliers didn’t meet internal requirements for the “tooling tryout” phase of Ford’s pre-production process, according to a report by TTAC. That will be enough to hamper production of the next generation F-150 trucks by up to 10 weeks, blowing the brands targeted Memorial Day sales kickoff.

Ford is using aluminum body panels extensively in its new trucks – previewed in Detroit last year by the Atlas concept – and if the material’s ability to return to its original shape after being hit with a dye isn’t dead on, manufacturing can be completely derailed. While heavier, steel also isn’t as susceptible to the issue.

Because of the sub-par materials, Ford will reportedly be forced to compress its validation process in order to stem further delays. Ford’s trucks are pivotal to its success. Roughly 70 percent of Ford’s global profits come from North American sales. The company’s F-Series pickup trucks accounted for over a third of its North American sales through November.

Normally, Ford would go through two phases of pre-production vehicles before building models bound for showrooms. Those models are considered to be salable and will be pushed to dealers to minimize further delays, increasing the risk for bugs in early units and problems with Ford’s bread-and-butter product.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ee-months.html
Old 12-16-13, 10:50 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Ford F-150 delayed due to problems with its aluminum body panels - report

Ford's gamble on aluminum is looking pretty risky

Ford's decision to use aluminum body panels on the 2015 F-150 is coming back to haunt them as a report is indicating that problems with the lightweight material have pushed the launch back by approximately three months.

According to The Truth About Cars, aluminum shipments from suppliers have failed to meet specifications so the company is having problems forming the material. The suppliers are now under pressure to fix the problems, as soon as possible, so Ford can prevent further delays and launch the model by the end of 2014.

Ford has remain relatively quiet about the 2015 F-150 but previous reports have indicated the switch to aluminum body panels could enable the truck to weigh 700 pounds (317 kg) less than its predecessor.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11312116...h-its-aluminum
Old 12-16-13, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
No "If" about it. That's definitely a Bronx salute.
Old 12-16-13, 11:03 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if this will still debut at Detroit next month. I can't imagine they would want to show it any place else.
Old 12-16-13, 11:18 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

thats a nice looking concept truck
Old 12-16-13, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

This delay is no problem. They planned to sell the current one alongside the new one for a bit anyway. Do it once do it right

Quick Reply: Spy Shots: 2015 Ford F-150