Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TIRE EMERGENCY Irvine/CostaMesa area

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 10:10 AM
bdan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIRE EMERGENCY Irvine/CostaMesa area

I apologize mods cause I feel this may be in the wrong place. But I have posted in the Wheel and Tire Forum but I need people to see this.

Hey guys, I was driving to Irvine last night and I hit a pothole that caused my stretch to slip. It was a personal emergency so I was driving ~85 in my LS400. I usually only drive 55-70 MAX and I now need to find a shop to take off the wheel and reinflate the tire to get that stretch back.

I am running a 19x12.5 rear with a 275/30/19 stretched onto it. It currently holds air but it still worries me that its slipped. Does anyone know any tire shops near the 92697 area code? I tried yelp and a bunch of the businesses can't do it due to "equipment or not knowing what stretched tires are" Ive literally called about 9-10 shops already.

I believe it is a simple remove rim/tire combo from car, reinflate till tire stretch is achieved, and remount. (wheel balancing needed? I just had them balanced by K&E in El Monte.)

Shoot me a call or text if you can help in any way. 626-475-8008

I did use the search function but I couldn't find any shop specifics.
Old 06-10-13, 10:40 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You can try running the right size tire for your wheel so you don't kill yourself or others. Hitting that pothole could've caused a blowout, you lose control at 85mph, wad it up into the guardrail or under a semi-truck.

As for why you can't find a tire shop, it makes them liable if you have an accident since they installed the wrong size tire on your wheel.
Old 06-10-13, 11:18 AM
bdan
Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
You can try running the right size tire for your wheel so you don't kill yourself or others. Hitting that pothole could've caused a blowout, you lose control at 85mph, wad it up into the guardrail or under a semi-truck.

As for why you can't find a tire shop, it makes them liable if you have an accident since they installed the wrong size tire on your wheel.
I totally understand what you mean by this. I stretch for fitment and looks. This is the first time I've driven past 70 mph since about 6 months ago when I had supra TT with Mickey Thompson drag radials on them. It was an emergency and wasn't exaggerated.

I agree with the second part on why I can't find a tire shop but in the 626 you dont have to look far for one that will, as long as they are not held liable and you understand the risks. Which I do.
Old 06-10-13, 12:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000

I cant believe you are running a 275 wide tire on a 12" WHEEL!! Thats a bit insane. Kind of proves the point when a bump can take the tire off the wheel. Have you tried the Souther CA section of the forum. Look in the regional area. They are all from CA so they know all the shops
Old 06-10-13, 03:51 PM
bdan
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I cant believe you are running a 275 wide tire on a 12" WHEEL!! Thats a bit insane. Kind of proves the point when a bump can take the tire off the wheel. Have you tried the Souther CA section of the forum. Look in the regional area. They are all from CA so they know all the shops
Yeah CL and some family friends helped recommend a good place.

714 Tires, they're awesome. Friendly, quick, efficient, and good pricing. That's what I look for in a reputable shop. Would definitely recommend them to anyone in the area.
Old 06-10-13, 04:02 PM
bdan
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
275 on a 12.5 seemed so normal for me. I've heard of people running 235-255 on 12"

but then again, Im always talking to the stance/fitment side. Need some track in my life
Old 06-11-13, 12:45 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

275 on a 12.5" wheel is pretty damn hardcore in my opinion. I wasnt aware that they can come off the wheel when stretched that easily. Safe motoring bro !! Avoid those bumps. I remember when I had my dropped G35 and GS350 I knew where all the bumps were. now I dont even think about it