Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealer problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 07:44 AM
Dms3603
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer problems

Ok so i have a huge issue with the dealer and my grandmothers vehicle. Just mainly looking for any tips from you guys as to what i should do. So heres the problem, A few weeks ago my grandmother brought her vehicle to nissan after she had a no start issue. Nissan pretty much reamed her saying that it was the transmission. She replaced the transmission ( $5400). Problem still not fixed so they said it was her coolant system and some other stuff. She paid 400 for a new radiator and another 200 to have the system flushed. Then she paid another 2000 to have her starter and some other things fixed. After about 8500 or so the vehicle was given a clean bill of health by nissan. Two weeks later her headgasket blows. Now i love mi abuela very much and i am enraged that this has happened to her not to mention how much she has been charged. So i know she doesnt race around in her truck or beat on the vehicle so im pretty sure she didnt blow it through her driving. My question is what should i do? i dont want to take it back to nissan because of the previous occurence and im sure that this is their fault. I am gearing to consult a lawyer in a few days but i wanted to make sure im going about it the right way. Also i havent contacted nissan yet to see what they are willing to do but that will be taken care of this afternoon when i have a chance.
Old 06-05-13, 08:00 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Uh, lexus serviced by nissan dealership?
Old 06-05-13, 08:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

pm me if you want this in a general discussion, this is the SC300/400 section.
you should probably consider not taking it to that dealer anymore, try and find a reputable service shop.
Old 06-06-13, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Dms3603
my grandmother brought her vehicle to nissan after she had a no start issue. Nissan pretty much reamed her saying that it was the transmission. She replaced the transmission ( $5400). Problem still not fixed so they said it was her coolant system and some other stuff. She paid 400 for a new radiator and another 200 to have the system flushed. Then she paid another 2000 to have her starter and some other things fixed.
About the only thing with the transmission (I'm assuming it's an automatic) that could cause a no-start condition is the PARK-interlock system not working properly. On modern vehicles, the transmission must be in Park (or sometimes neutral), with foot on the brake, before the ignition key (or fob) will actually start the engine. That is done for obvious safety reasons. But I don't see a need to replace the whole transmission just to address a PARK-interlock problem....that possibly could probably be fixed just by a simple repair. The fact that a whole new transmission didn't cure the problem indicates to me that they may have replaced the forest when all that was needed was maybe a new tree....a tree outside the regular forest.

I also can't think of anything in the cooling-system that would cause a no-start condition where it simply wouldn't crank.. The starter and key should work at any temperature, though feedback from coolant/oil-temperature sensors determine things like the richness/leanness of the fuel-mixture, spark-timing, and other engine-controls.