Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Acura MDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 10:46 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

the sale number of the new MDX will be depend on how much a discount buyers can get. msrp for sh-awd with technology pkg (the most popular combo) is almost $49k. for those money, you can save $10k and opt for the RDX with basically the same drivetrain with a less sophisticated awd system, or you can go $5k more for the GX460 base, so many options there to compete unless Acura dealers are willing to slash at least 4K off of msrp.
Old 06-01-13, 11:23 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
the sale number of the new MDX will be depend on how much a discount buyers can get. msrp for sh-awd with technology pkg (the most popular combo) is almost $49k. for those money, you can save $10k and opt for the RDX with basically the same drivetrain with a less sophisticated awd system, or you can go $5k more for the GX460 base, so many options there to compete unless Acura dealers are willing to slash at least 4K off of msrp.
4K off? At the end of the MY is possible, otherwise I don't see why they would lower the price on an all new car.
Old 06-01-13, 01:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know about the new MDX, but the interior of the current MDX easily trumps the current RX. The RX interior is just terrible, with cost cutting everywhere.
agreed. it's really weak.

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
rdx isn't 3 row seater so not apples to apples. the gx460 is a comfy ride, nice interior and very capable 4wd off-roader, but more competing with a range rover, and also very thirsty (17mpg avg), plus quirky in some ways like the back 'barn' door.
Old 06-01-13, 01:33 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the styling of the old MDX. This new one looks so tall and less sporty
Old 06-01-13, 01:36 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't know about the new MDX, but the interior of the current MDX easily trumps the current RX. The RX interior is just terrible, with cost cutting everywhere.
I Love the Material in the RX, Real wood, instead of MDX fake wood. Also the simplicity of the RX. The truth is that my wife took like 2 days to even know what button does what on the RX. It would take her 2 months for the MDX, and it did on my friend wife, her husband has an 2010 MDX
Old 06-01-13, 01:51 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I Love the Material in the RX, Real wood, instead of MDX fake wood. Also the simplicity of the RX. The truth is that my wife took like 2 days to even know what button does what on the RX. It would take her 2 months for the MDX, and it did on my friend wife, her husband has an 2010 MDX
I could care less about real or fake wood. Old MDX interior is better, new one shouldn't be any different. As for simplicity, I give that to RX, but new MDX use dual screen instead of complicated buttons.
Old 06-01-13, 03:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I could care less about real or fake wood. Old MDX interior is better, new one shouldn't be any different. As for simplicity, I give that to RX, but new MDX use dual screen instead of complicated buttons.
it looks pretty crappy to me, and old one looked crappier with lots of obviously fake wood.
Old 06-01-13, 03:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I like the styling of the old MDX. This new one looks so tall and less sporty
the new one is not as tall as the old one, and with a longer wheelbase, generally considered more sporty.
Old 06-01-13, 03:48 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
it looks pretty crappy to me, and old one looked crappier with lots of obviously fake wood.
Styling is personal preference. Material used isn't. Aside from fake wood, MDX's interior quality easily tops RX's interior quality.
Old 06-01-13, 09:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Bingo. It's obvious Acura makes their vehicles to please loyal Honda fans willing to put up with less and try to rationalize how it's a value or better. The fact of the matter is all the data shows people cross shop Acura with Toyota and Honda and not luxury brands mentioned here.

Originally Posted by cino
Styling is personal preference. Material used isn't. Aside from fake wood, MDX's interior quality easily tops RX's interior quality.
To you. Enjoy your fake wood . The rx has a one of a kind stylish interior and is well built. Surely the next gen would be better.

Not sure how the new mdx loses over 10 cubes of space. You now get fwd standard like the rx. No hybrid. And that exterior Another average debut

Old 06-01-13, 10:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

dislike honda's use of two screens now. looks overly complicated
Old 06-01-13, 11:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The interior looks nice enough, but that exterior does nothing for me. I much prefer the 2007 model before it went to the beak.

Amazing that the MDX keeps SH-AWD and the RDX loses it..
Old 06-02-13, 03:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Along with the RX, these things generally lease for dirt cheap- at least here in L.A. I'm sure more than half are leased, which is likely the case with the RX.
Old 06-02-13, 07:39 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the market for a suv with third row. I'm debating the new mdx or the infiniti jx. They are priced very close to each other.
Old 06-02-13, 08:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by clickart
I'm in the market for a suv with third row. I'm debating the new mdx or the infiniti jx. They are priced very close to each other.
Buick Enclave

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Acura MDX