Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti plans new Flagship sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 11:16 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good to hear that they have these aspirations. Hopefully they bring out something more relevant than the last Q sedan. They seem to mirror Acura in their problems with the RL/RLX. If they had just been sales failures but with a great product would have been one thing. But both seem to pull their punches and release very mediocre products, no where near in the field as the LS, S, 7 or A8. Hopefully this time they get it right.
Old 05-15-13, 11:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Doesn't this say the new car would be placed above what is now known as the M?
Ah yes, you're right.

Q50 is the G37.
This should be changed then, and it does say Q70 in the reading.

Infiniti plans new flagship sedan

It will be above the Q50, the former M Class
Old 05-15-13, 12:37 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
Don't think size is the issue. All 3 gens of the M have been larger than its competitors. The issue with the latest M is the poor styling. The car is forgettable.
Bingo. The previous generation M was very successful and routinely ended up in 3rd place behind the E Class and 5 Series on the monthly sales lists (it even outsold the GS one or two years). But when they redesigned it, they took away all the styling cues that made the previous generation so successful. They muted the design to be too safe and socially acceptable and in turn made it way too generic looking. The AWD version is also way too tall and looks like an SUV from certain angles. They need to go back to the drawing board and produce a passionate athletic sport sedan design that will make it stand out again. The new Q50 styling is on point with that and they should take cues from that design when they put out the next Q70.

Originally Posted by speedflex
Well, with all the pressure Infiniti is under from Emperor Ghosntine and Darth Johan to elevate sales they seem to be really accelerating their product arrivals. I just hope they do it right while they're at it.
Hilarious

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
At first glance, I am excited to read this and very intrigued about the return of a flagship Q.

However, I look at Infiniti's current lineup and realize that a lot of work needs to be done to build up to demand and cache for something like a flagship sedan.

- The EX and FX need to be completely rethought, re-engineered and reintroduced. The EX has less interior space than a G and is impossible for any more than two people. The FX is just butt ugly and lost the edge that the last generation had.
Agreed. The public has not embraced either vehicle. I think in general Infiniti needs to be more conservative with their SUV/CUV styling. Leave the sporty designs to the sedans and coupes.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
- The Q50 and Q70 need a new V6. The old engine is...old, and still not particularly efficient. Also, it's not as refined as some rivals.
- They need to work on a small car under the Q50.
- Q70 is in sad shape and needs a heavy refresh and, as mentioned above, new engines.
- Hybrids
Agreed on the small car under the Q50. A compact sporty sedan just under the Q50 would be great and would sell very well. The Q50 has grown too big to be a 3 Series/IS competitor and really competes more with the ES & TL these days.
Old 05-15-13, 12:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its about time. I am surprised that its has been this long
Old 05-15-13, 12:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Infiniti would be wise to do the following

Q50 - (G37)
Q60 - (G37 coupe/vert)
Q70 - (M37)
Q80 - (M sized coupe/vert)
Q90 - (Q flagship replacment)
Q90 sounds like a radio station'

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Bingo. The previous generation M was very successful and routinely ended up in 3rd place behind the E Class and 5 Series on the monthly sales lists (it even outsold the GS one or two years). .
How on Earth is "routinely" one or two years? That isn't a routine nor the majority of years it was sold. It was not normal which is the opposite of routine.

A routine is the GS, which has been sold as the GS since 1993.

The new name change won't help at all, look at the confusion in this thread alone. And selling them as Mitsubhisi's ain't helping either

The fact of the mattter is they haven't learned from the Q45 since the current model lost every ounce of momentum that previous gen had which was well recieved. Where is a facelift?

I just don't see how a flagship that costs more than the M is going to work if they can't sell the M now.

Old 05-15-13, 01:05 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus could use more competition from the homeland and Infiniti is really the only ones who can push them. The only model they have that i would currently buy would be the coupe. Other than that, nothing else appeals to me. I wish they can stick with their current naming set up because the "Q" this and "Q" that is not where its at. Smh.
Old 05-15-13, 01:08 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
How on Earth is "routinely" one or two years? That isn't a routine nor the majority of years it was sold. It was not normal which is the opposite of routine.

A routine is the GS, which has been sold as the GS since 1993.
Read what I posted again. The M routinely ended up in 3rd place on the monthly sales charts with the previous generation. Sometimes it was in 4th place, but it would swap positions with the GS between 3rd and 4th often and always outsold the A6 for example.

The fact of the mattter is they haven't learned from the Q45 since the current model lost every ounce of momentum that previous gen had which was well recieved. Where is a facelift?

I just don't see how a flagship that costs more than the M is going to work if they can't sell the M now.
There is obviously a restructuring going on over there now and I'm sure a redesigned Q70 is in the works. But these things don't happen overnight. I think the new CEO is just what they needed and he seems to know what he's doing. You want a facelift for the M already? the current model dropped for 2011. If they facelifted the M already in 2013, you would say "this is why they will never be able to compete with blah blah blah because buyers in this price range don't want their car to be redesigned every two years". They can't win with you either way. Obviously the M redesign has not been as successful as the previous generation, so they will probably not facelift it, but instead completely redesign it. My guess is it will be ready probably in 2015 for the 2016 MY.
Old 05-15-13, 01:16 PM
LexFather

Obviously the M redesign has not been as successful as the previous generation, so they will probably not facelift it, but instead completely redesign it. My guess is it will be ready probably in 2015 for the 2016 MY.
Whats funny is you were told it was going to flop as soon as it debuted and you were in the monthly saies threads raising hell how its not being discounted and how its doing fine yadda yadda. Did you forget? As soon as I drove it I knew it was going to be an issue, the price raised substantially, the car drove iffy and looks were also iffy. Interior was a clear step up. Then to make things worse infiniti did a terrible, just terrible job with advertising. Instead of talking about 420hp they talked about blind spot monitoring. They spent tons of money advertising the M35h vs a GS on the way out in its last model year and the car has sold very poorly.

You should respect your experts and not argue with them

If we take Audi for example, they had history/heritage and the A4 always did well here but they got it together with huge product expansion, the R8 and killer advertising. I am assuming their CEo from Audi is going to try the same thing but I think its going to be a very tough road. It wasn't too long ago they told us how they were going to explode in Europe and sales have been nonexistent.

Quite frankly its not just them, I think Lexus is being hurt bad by Infniit/Acura's issues. Japanese luxury is not as admirable or as engaging as before. Audi has completely tilted the scales to the Germans with Porsche now with SUVs and Sedans.

To me and many of us, JUST DO IT, don't say it. Audi didn't really talk much, they just did.

Old 05-15-13, 01:28 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Whats funny is you were told it was going to flop as soon as it debuted and you were in the monthly saies threads raising hell how its not being discounted and how its doing fine yadda yadda. Did you forget?
What's also funny is you claimed the current generation Acura TL was going to be a flop (you were wrong) and 5 years later, it's still selling very well. Not as well as the previous generation, but it's certainly no sales flop (especially given its substantial price increase over the previous generation).

As soon as I drove it I knew it was going to be an issue, the price raised substantially, the car drove iffy and looks were also iffy. Interior was a clear step up. Then to make things worse infiniti did a terrible, just terrible job with advertising. Instead of talking about 420hp they talked about blind spot monitoring. They spent tons of money advertising the M35h vs a GS on the way out in its last model year and the car has sold very poorly.
They made the styling too rounded, less masculine/aggressive looking and that is what hurt its sales. I agree advertising on its advantages over the GS hybrid was a mistake, considering its such a small segment of the market.

But I feel Infiniti is a redesign away from making the M/Q70 a sales success again. The first generation was also a flop due to its controversial styling. As soon as the 2006 debuted, it was a success. They never should have revolutionized the styling of that car. It should have evolved but kept its good looks. It didn't and now they have paid the price for it.

You should respect your experts and not argue with them
Oh, but I do respect the experts. But only those who can actually get their facts straight
Old 05-15-13, 01:42 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M or I guess Q70 was developed before Infiniti's brand revamp. But indeed it's been a failure. The Q50 is intended to set the brand's direction going forward and if it's any indication, I'm excited to see what they come out with. Their (very ugly) QX56 is the second best selling large luxury SUV so I don't think Infiniti will have a problem selling flagship level sedan assuming that people like it (a lot of people weirdly enough likes the QX). Hopefully the new flagship will be liked by people AND attractive like the Q50.
Old 05-15-13, 01:58 PM
LexFather

What's also funny is you claimed the current generation Acura TL was going to be a flop (you were wrong) and 5 years later, it's still selling very well. Not as well as the previous generation, but it's certainly no sales flop (especially given its substantial price increase over the previous generation).
You are making this way to easy. Everyone with 1/2 a brain knows the TL has been a sales disaster. Acura targeted 70,000 units a year, they sell under 35,000 each year, HALF the sales goal. They rushed a MMC to fix the beak and it didn't help.

This is now the funniest thing I've seen. Saying the TL is a sales success.

Here ,let me help you read
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

Of the projected annual TL volume of 70,000 units, Acura only predicts five percent—or 3500—will be the TL SH-AWD with the manual transmission.
Just stop, pay homage and relax. You are way in over your head.

Old 05-15-13, 02:11 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

You are making this way to easy. Everyone with 1/2 a brain knows the TL has been a sales disaster. Acura targeted 70,000 units a year, they sell under 35,000 each year, HALF the sales goal. They rushed a MMC to fix the beak and it didn't help.

This is now the funniest thing I've seen. Saying the TL is a sales success.
A sales disaster?
Wow, you really don't know what a flop is, do you?

Let me explain:

The RL was a flop
The ZDX was a flop
The HS was a flop

The TL is not a flop and it is absolutely ludicrous for you to spread such misinformation that is just completely false.

The TL, 5 years after its redesign, just sold 3,000 units in the month of April. This is not the 30k-32k car it was in 2004, 2005, 2006. The significant price increase between the two generations is one of the primary reasons it hasn't sold as well as the previous generation. The TSX filled in the price gap of the previous generation TL and offered many of the same features that were offered on the previous generation TL, which ate into TL sales as well. But the current generation TL is not at all, "a sales disaster". You are simply incorrect.
Old 05-15-13, 02:21 PM
LexFather

A sales disaster?
Wow, you really don't know what a flop is, do you?

Let me explain:

The RL was a flop
The ZDX was a flop
The HS was a flop

The TL is not a flop and it is absolutely ludicrous for you to spread such misinformation that is just completely false.

The TL, 5 years after its redesign, just sold 3,000 units in the month of April. This is not the 30k-32k car it was in 2004, 2005, 2006. The significant price increase between the two generations is one of the primary reasons it hasn't sold as well as the previous generation. The TSX filled in the price gap of the previous generation TL and offered many of the same features that were offered on the previous generation TL, which ate into TL sales as well. But the current generation TL is not at all, "a sales disaster". You are simply incorrect.
So a vehicle, rather ANYTHING that sells at 50% of its target is somehow not a flop Rather than just admit you are wrong you then say its misinformation and incorrect.

Folks, you can't make this stuff up.

Sens4miles is the only person on the planet somehow defending that the 4th gen TL hasn't been a sales disaster. Nope, your volume car that now sells worse than your more expensive SUV is somehow not a flop. Acura states they want to sell 70k, they sell less than 35k, Sens4miles says sales are doing great!!!

This is gold!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futur...-2012-acura-tl

But Acura dealers might suggest calling it a styling disaster. The TL sedan is Acura's best-selling vehicle, yet sales are less than half of what they were only four years ago. These spy images prove Acura heard the criticism and is scaling back the size of the controversial styling feature.

Old 05-15-13, 02:30 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

So a vehicle, rather ANYTHING that sells at 50% of its target is somehow not a flop Rather than just admit you are wrong you then say its misinformation and incorrect.
So they were way off target, ok. That doesn't mean it's a sales flop. It simply means it didn't sell as well as Acura had intended/anticipated. But it has still sold well against its competitors.

Folks, you can't make this stuff up.

Sens4miles is the only person on the planet somehow defending that the 4th gen TL hasn't been a sales disaster.
And I think you're the only person on the planet that considers the 4th generation TL a "sales disaster". Post a link to any reputable article that shows anyone else on the planet with such an overly dramatic point of view as calling the TL a "sales disaster"

Again, cars such as the HS were a sales disaster (what were Lexus' sales targets again for the HS? )
Old 05-15-13, 02:40 PM
LexFather

So they were way off target, ok. That doesn't mean it's a sales flop. It simply means it didn't sell as well as Acura had intended/anticipated. But it has still sold well against its competitors.

And I think you're the only person on the planet that considers the 4th generation TL a "sales disaster". Post a link to any reputable article that shows anyone else on the planet with such an overly dramatic point of view as calling the TL a "sales disaster"

Again, cars such as the HS were a sales disaster (what were Lexus' sales targets again for the HS? )
Please don't be an obvious troll, we all know the HS flopped, they got rid of it, end of story. Don't troll b/c a discontinued HS is more advanced than any car from your 2 favorite brands

Maybe you are not old enough to work but in business when your volume selling product becomes a product outsold by your other products after its re-design, that usually means people get fired, heads roll and it is a disaster. If Trump redesigns his condos and his occupancy goes from 90% to 45% that is a disaster. If Delta changes its planes and ridership goes from 100k to 50k, that is a disaster.

Quick Reply: Infiniti plans new Flagship sedan