Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche 911(991) 2014-16 Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 04:56 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The underlying principle of Porsche has always been to get the most out of everything. This belief is magnified by the new Porsche Experience Center, Atlanta. Built to enclose a world-class driver development track, fine dining restaurant, classic gallery and more, this complex will leave you immersed in the complete Porsche Experience. The first of its kind in the U.S., you'll be placed behind the wheel of the latest Porsche models and pushed to new limits in an exclusive unrivaled setting.
Old 01-20-16, 02:40 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

LA experience center opening this year!
Old 02-07-16, 06:00 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Porsche's gone turbo on the 911, so we thought it was best to have a look to see how much the iconic car has changed with a new, forced induced heart.
Old 02-20-16, 10:47 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The 911 GT3 already delivers an amazing sound experience for the road and track. Now, we’ve also developed the ultimate sound experience for your own four walls: the Porsche Design 911 Soundbar*, which is converted from the original rear silencer and twin exhaust from a 911 GT3. Watch this video to learn more about this very special masterpiece.
Old 03-01-16, 05:03 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Once upon a time there was a lightweight sports car that left a weighty impression. This car, namely the 911 R, was built in 1967 for use in motorsport. In a limited-edition run of just 23 units.
Old 03-01-16, 05:27 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 03-02-16, 12:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

helloooo 911 R!! purists rejoice!!
Old 03-02-16, 05:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 03-08-16, 07:03 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The new 911 R features a six-cylinder flat engine with a displacement of four litres, familiar from the 911 GT3 RS. The racing engine delivers 500 hp at 8,250 rpm and generates 460 Nm at a speed of 6,250 rpm. The results are direct responsiveness and thrilling performance capabilities.
Old 03-14-16, 06:04 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The new 911 R features everything that sports car dreams are made of. Watch this video to learn more about the product highlights.
Old 04-06-16, 02:58 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Got to spend an hour in a 991.2 C2S yesterday - my first experience with the new turbo engine. Options included PDK, sport chrono package, and rear axle steering. I did some highway driving and also made a few runs over my typical "backroad" twisties route.

First thought is - I need to try a 991.2 without the rear axle steering to isolate how much impact that has on the driving experience. I felt like the suspension setup and/or chassis was a lot better and gave me more feedback compared to the 991.1. It just felt more responsive, quicker to inputs, easier to toss around, etc. To be honest when Porsche introduced the rear steering on the 991 GT3, I thought it was really gimmicky - but if a lot of the improvements I felt are due to the rear axle steering, I might consider it a must-have option on the new Carrera.

Steering feel is also better than the 991.1 (although my reference point is a C4S Cab, so not the best comparo); then again, I also thought it had better steering feel than the 981 Cayman I test drove before too. It's definitely not as good as the steering on past generations, but nevertheless is a good sign for Porsche - while I'm still unhappy that they gave up their legendary steering feel in favor of an electrohydraulic system, the improvements bode well for future cars. (And one can hope they go back to hydraulic, but I suppose that's just not realistic - especially for a carmaker that now sells more SUVs than it does sports cars...)

Finally, the car is just blisteringly fast, especially in a straight line. It's a basic 911, yet it feels like supercar power, which is just obscene. It's definitely up there with supercars from only a few years ago. I also like that it revs high for a turbo - almost 8k rpms.

Unfortunately, the big negative - I really tried going in with an open mind but I have to say I absolutely hate the new turbo engine. I know there are some journalists out there who have praised it but I don't know what they're smoking (or, as is typical of these reviews, perhaps they just don't want to be too negative about it). There is just no mistaking that it is a turbo. Noticeable turbo lag, throttle response is not nearly as good as the old engine, and it sounds awful compared to the older engines. Pragmatically, the lack of engine note going through the rpms made it much more difficult to tell where I was in the rpm range, which affects shifting.

Ultimately, I'm also not sure that all the additional power is a welcome aspect. I feel like they've made the 991 more driveable and accessible to the mainstream driver than even the 997, but because they've added so much power and the throttle response is quite muted and some of the dynamic feedback isn't as good as previous generations, they've actually significantly decreased the possibilities in which a driver can push the car and safely have fun with it - especially on public roads. I truly wonder if we'll look back on the 991 as the generation where the 911 crossed the line of becoming a GT car trying to be a sportscar other than the other way around.

I will have a 981 Cayman for a week next month, looking forward to it putting it through its paces. I think comparing my experience in that car - which has 2/3 the hp and is down nearly 1/2 the torque on the 991.2 C2S - will be pretty revealing as far as what sports cars should be. Maybe more power isn't better. And maybe it's time to pick up one of these last naturally aspirated engines or perhaps even better yet, back to used 997.2/987.2 with the additional hydraulic steering, just because the new iterations don't seem to have the dynamic feedback and focus on driver involvement and enjoyment that the old ones did.

Last edited by gengar; 04-06-16 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 04:35 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Porsche's 911 GT3 Cup Is Coming To A Racetrack Near You

With a 4-liter, six-cylinder flat engine at its disposal, the new Porsche 911 GT3 Cup is ready to put down 485 PS on any given racetrack.

Built specifically to be used in the 2017 race season, the 911 GT3 Cup Porsche brought to Paris is not just about performance, but also increased efficiency.

In order to boost that aspect, for the first time, Porsche have utilized a valve drive with rigidly mounted rocker arms and a central oil feed. Furthermore, the car uses an integrated oil centrifuge to optimize oil de-foaming in the naturally aspirated engine.

On the aero side of things, downforce is improved by the new front apron as well as the new rear end, the latter featuring the same massive 184-centimeter (72 in) wide rear wing found on the previous model. Also, on the track, the new 911 GT3 Cup will weigh just 1,200 kg (2,645 lbs), approximately 295 kg (650 lbs) less than a GT3 RS.

Safety was also emphasized during the development stages, which is why the driver is protected by a solid safety cage as well as an innovative, bucket-style racing seat. In case of an accident, the car's enlarged rescue hatch (in line with FIA standards) will make it easier to provide treatment and recovery.

Since 1998, Porsche has produced some 3,031 units of the 911 GT3 Cup in either 996, 997 or 991 form. This latest iteration will make its debut in the Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup, followed by the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/por...coming-to.html

Old 10-01-16, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

another 911... what a shock.
Old 10-05-16, 08:00 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default First Ever Porsche 911 R At An Auction Will Fetch Quite A Premium

The limited edition 911 R is one of Porsche’s most sought-after products, appealing to the Porsche purist with its raw, unblended character.

The problem is there won’t be enough for every Porsche aficionado, as the German car manufacturer plans to manufacturer just 991 units, so unless you’re willing to pay at least double the sticker price for one, your garage will remain 911 R-less.

Various reports have suggested that flippers are now commanding three or even four times the MSRP for a 911 R, with some even getting close to $1 million, but if you don’t want to step out of line, there’s one at Bonhams offered for sale.

Sure, it’s estimated €250,000 – €350,000 ($280,445 – $392,612) value is considerably more than its $ 184,900 MSRP, but it only has 52 kilometers (32 miles) on the clock, and it’s the first 911 R ever to cross the auction block.

"The Porsche 911 R is a car for real purists and fully justifies the title of the most sought-after modern Porsche today. Six months ago the launch price was around €200,000, but already the Porsche 911 R is being traded at €500,000-600,000. We believe our very fair estimate will attract a great deal of attention from enthusiasts keen to acquire one of the rarest Porsche around", said Bonhams motoring representative in Belgium, Gregory Tuytens.

Finished in white with a black/brown two-tone leather interior, it’s the 135th unit made and features all the goodies you’d expect from a 911 R, as well some optional extras such as light design package, carbon-fiber floor mats with leather edging, extended leather packages, and many more.

The car will go under the hammer at The Zoute Sale at Knokke Le-Zoute in Belgium on Friday 7 October.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/fir...t-auction.html

Old 10-19-16, 06:31 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S Is The One Supercar To Do It All

The 911 Turbo doesn’t get nowhere near a Ferrari or a Lamborghini in the attention-grabbing department, but it is more than capable of battling them in performance and handling – plus, it can do things they simply can’t.

Porsche has long championed the “everyday supercar” character of the 911, and today this stands true more than ever.

Let’s talk numbers, shall we? The Turbo S has 580 PS, 40 more than the normal Turbo. It does zero to sixty in an astounding 2.8 seconds and maxes out at 205 mph (330 km/h). It comes solely with a dual-clutch PDK transmission, which even living racing legend Hurley Haywood says does a perfect job with the **** left in D, and all-wheel drive.

So far, so good, so what – the rest of the bunch, and others like McLaren and Audi, can do that. What they can’t do is seat two adults and two kids, too, and be driven with ease day in, day out going to the grocery store, for example, just like, a Honda Civic. Well, almost.

That’s what sets the 911 Turbo S apart from every other supercar. McLaren is positioning the 570 GT as a rival, but the lack of rear seats, cramped as they might be in the 911, can be a bummer in certain occasions.

While everyone is raving about the pure-bred R and the hardcore GT3s, the Turbo S is the 911 to drive not on special occasions or weekends, but any time you feel like it. Ditch the flashy tangerine of this particular car for a more mundane color and you have the ultimate sleeper. Which, for not a few people, is ideal; not everyone likes to show off, no?
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/201...-s-is-one.html

Quick Reply: Porsche 911(991) 2014-16 Models