Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Free Car Wash @Lexus: Should I Go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 02:55 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Free Car Wash @Lexus: Should I Go?

Hi all,

So I have been servicing at the same Lexus Dealer for some time now and over 10 years if I include taking my parents Lexus to the dealer; other than a 4 year hiatus when I had Audi. Anyways I found out this weekend while getting a oil change that my dealer gives "Free Car Washes" per my service advisor. I have heard that before but I thought it was a joke. The service advisor told me some people go every week for a free car wash and breakfast. I am thinking of going once a month, but I feel abit weird.

I am more worried that the dealer will nickel and dime since I am getting free stuff when I go for actual wear and tear service. Anyways does anyone else here go for the free car wash? Also will I have to tip? I feel like nothing is truly really free. IE my university loves giving away FREE IPADS at raffles that our tuition pays for. It seems only the really old ie (retired) are there for car washes because they hold a red claim number. Anyone else go their for car washes? Also do you think people will look down on this. haha

ps. I am not going to lie I love a free car wash especially since I am graduate student and my Lexus dealer is only 5 miles from my dorm.

I guess this question has been asked, but more in regards of swirl makes, but since my car is silver I don't think you can see the swirls. I am more looking for feedback more in regards to the social aspect or if people will thumb their nose at me. haha

Last edited by satnav; 04-21-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 03:35 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, it's not free, it's built into the price of every new car. They will probably swirl the hell out of the paint, but if that doesn't concern you, then go for it.

A lady on my street is on her 4th RX, she takes it to the dealer once a week to be washed. They aren't going to look down on you. When the service manager was going over my new GS with me, I saw 2 people come in for a wash, one ES and an LS. Competition among tier 1 brands is tough, the washes are just an additional service to make customers happy. A happy customer is a repeat customer.
Old 04-21-13, 05:08 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree. If you're OK with having someone else wash your ride and what that may do to your finish, go for it. Different dealers have different approaches -- some have automated washes, some do it by hand or something in-between -- some allow you to elect a hand wash if you ask for it specifically. It's a free service that I'm sure to many people is a huge benefit of buying a premium brand, e.g. Saturday mornings at most dealerships have a long line of people waiting for their free wash, and I bet the dealers stock up on extra cappuccino and danish for those that come in while waiting to get their car back.

As for me, I have never let any of my dealers since 1995 give me a free wash. I forgot to tell them I think twice in all that time when I've gone in for service to not give me the free wash, but otherwise, I'm a picky guy who is the only person who washes and details my ride -- free wash or not.
Old 04-21-13, 05:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Yeah my concern would be will the dealer screw the car up when they wash it. I would not hesitate to use their free car wash service out of fear of someone "looking down at me" though. Its a service they are offering...

I just fail to see how any social stigma or "nose thumbing" exists about you utilizing a service your dealer offers...and even if there were...who cares?
Old 04-21-13, 05:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Do all Lexus dealerships offer this?
Old 04-21-13, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Not all of them, but a lot of them do...
Old 04-21-13, 06:59 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Do all Lexus dealerships offer this?
No. It's not a requirement of Lexus or something in the warranty that must be offered, but something my dealers have had for the customers that purchased from them... Free wash for people that get service and those that buy from that dealership (sometimes only at certain hours or days of the week), not for just "any 'ol Lexus owner" that stops by. . That's fair in my mind... and a little way for some dealers to perhaps differentiate themselves, just as my latest dealer has a very expensive golf simulator I could sign up for and use any time because I bought from them (and I'm not a golfer, nor do I ever take them up on their free wash offers, but fancy coffee and pastry and maybe a sit in the massage chairs watching the big screen TV is A-OK when I'm in for service!)
Old 04-21-13, 07:10 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

if you don't mind the swirls in the paint i would say go for it. My former boss used to take advantage of it. I'm way to **** about my paint though.
Old 04-21-13, 08:33 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think most dealers offer free washes for life, at least around here. My mom recently bought a 2013 Accord Sport, and her Honda dealer does it. My Lexus dealer does it, the Toyota dealer where we bought our new Prius does it, and the Acura dealer where we bought our TL does it. Those are just off the top of my head. I will only do it when I have verified it's a "touchless" wash.
Old 04-21-13, 08:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

To the OP, it's your car and your choice. But as an automall employee with a car wash shared between our Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW and Mini dealers, minimum wage folks working the wash don't "give it their all" so to speak.
Old 04-22-13, 03:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
No. It's not a requirement of Lexus or something in the warranty that must be offered, but something my dealers have had for the customers that purchased from them... Free wash for people that get service and those that buy from that dealership (sometimes only at certain hours or days of the week), not for just "any 'ol Lexus owner" that stops by. . That's fair in my mind... and a little way for some dealers to perhaps differentiate themselves, just as my latest dealer has a very expensive golf simulator I could sign up for and use any time because I bought from them (and I'm not a golfer, nor do I ever take them up on their free wash offers, but fancy coffee and pastry and maybe a sit in the massage chairs watching the big screen TV is A-OK when I'm in for service!)

LOL, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-22-13, 04:11 AM
Brisman
Rookie

I used to have it done regularly at service time, now I tell them, no washing, no touching the paintwork.

Check out my "Paint Correction" thread and you'll understand why.

Of course, it all depends how particular you are, me, I've turned ****.
Old 04-22-13, 10:02 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Go for it, see if it is a touch less wash or hand wash or what it is. But it's free and convenient
Old 04-22-13, 04:13 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I am going to go I dont think swirls can show up on silver cars. although they are their i think the color hides the swirls.
Old 04-22-13, 05:21 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would never use the free car wash. My local dealership washed my SC300 right after I bought it and they broke my front Lexus emblem in half. On top of that it didn't even look that good.

Quick Reply: Free Car Wash @Lexus: Should I Go?