Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion FR-S vs. IS 250

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 08:06 PM
Bojangals
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scion FR-S vs. IS 250

Ok, first post on here, I just joined to vent my conundrum in choosing between the Scion FR-S and the Lexus IS 250. Before you say it, yes they are completely different, apples and oranges, blah blah blah, but humor me and compare these two different fruit.

Speed
This is one of the biggest question marks I have. When I test drove both the FR-S and the BRZ they felt anemic, almost identical to the output of my old Acura Integra 1993. When I test drove the 2010 IS 250 Automatic AWD, it felt like a speed demon! I was zipping through side streets and freeway traffic and was easily blazing past everyone. I mean seriously I thought it's acceleration was at true sport car speeds! I get home and discover it has a dismal 0-60 of 7.8 markedly slower than the FRS at 6.2. What the hell is going on here?

The numbers say the exact opposite than my intuition, the IS 250 should feel anemic and the FRS should be relatively blazing fast in comparison. Can anyone explain this? They both have nearly identical horsepower FRS = 200 vs IS 250 = 204. I guess the biggest difference comes in at the torque with the FRS at 185 lb ft torque vs IS 250 at 151 lb ft torque. Is this the reason for such a disconnect between the two? It seems like the FR-S is so much lighter that it would easily makeup for the shortfall. Perhaps I have to rev the FRS at super high rpms to get any juice out of it while the IS 250 comfortably produces that same power at lower rpms?

Interior Space
This aspect puzzled me as well since there is very little head room in the IS 250 and the side and back windows were pretty small and the overall inside is small but the FRS interior seemed infinitely more confined. The visibility seemed very oppressive and restrictive too, when I got back in my Integra I felt a sigh of relief to being restored back to full visibility of my surroundings. Anyone else get that feeling in the FR-S?

Overall Impressions
The FR-S is a beautiful car that I'm hoping if I bought I would get used to and learn to love. The IS 250 I loved from the minute I set eyes on it and ten times more when I got inside. It just felt right, perfect size, handling, tight cornering, acceleration, and the air conditioned seats were a new experience for me. I only wish there were more RWD's in the Oregon area, they are around 90% AWD here, when it only snows enough to stick like once every 4 or 5 years, and it doesn't even really rain here, it mists.

What do you guys think? Did any of you feel like the FRS was crazy faster than the IS 250? Did you guys feel the FRS claustrophobia? I'm honestly confused by the numbers? I'll close here, sorry for the long rant, hope you could provide some insights. Cheerio
Old 04-02-13, 09:02 PM
LexFather

Unless you need the 4 doors with a new IS coming in 3 months get the FRS.... Some cars "feel" faster than others..

Old 04-02-13, 09:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you drive the FR-S with a manual or automatic???? Automatics combined with 4 cylinder cars that like to rev generally feel like slugs. The FR-S should've felt a lot quicker since its about 500-600lbs lighter, it might be one of those cars you have to really rev to get the power out of it though.
Old 04-02-13, 09:18 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Test drive an IS350 AWD.
Old 04-02-13, 09:28 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Stop worrying about the numbers. Get the car that you enjoy driving .
Old 04-02-13, 09:30 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait for the 3rd IS250 get the Fsport.... Frs is a nice car and a lot cheaper. The V6 is smooth thats why you feel it faster. The 3rd gen will get more room than then 2nd IS. I bet you can get a rwd if you try hard. Do you think you can be comfortable with being with the FRS very tight inside? I dont think the FRS can keep up with the IS250 at higher speeds.
Old 04-02-13, 10:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

FR-S is cheap and drives nice. IS250 has plenty of luxury amenities and a nice ride. Pick what works best for you. Personally I think the IS is just more practical.
Old 04-02-13, 10:34 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

it easy to see what happened. the is250 has more usable power, gearing and torque. the FRS makes peak power prob near redline which is never used. this is why its important to choose a car with good usable power. that high redline, low torque gets old quick (s2k).

scion as a brand never intrigued me because of how it's kind of marketed towards younger kids even though im sort of young myself. i would choose the is250. unless it was brz vs is250, id get the brz.
Old 04-02-13, 10:38 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
it easy to see what happened. the is250 has more usable power, gearing and torque. the FRS makes peak power prob near redline which is never used. this is why its important to choose a car with good usable power. that high redline, low torque gets old quick (s2k).

scion as a brand never intrigued me because of how it's kind of marketed towards younger kids even though im sort of young myself. i would choose the is250. unless it was brz vs is250, id get the brz.
I know I'm off topic...Thought they were the twin? Unless you like it because it not under Scion. They both get the same feeling when you drive isn't it?
Old 04-02-13, 10:45 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by EthanV
I know I'm off topic...Thought they were the twin? Unless you like it because it not under Scion. They both get the same feeling when you drive isn't it?
yeah, it's priced higher and marketed out of that highschool crowd IMO, no offense. i went to high school when every kid had a brand new scion tc or scion xb. every commercial you see is a modified scion in a generic kidish way. the interior looks better in the brz as well.
Old 04-02-13, 11:08 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

the fr-s / brz is having cold start / hard start problems. the is250 is far more reliable
Old 04-03-13, 10:21 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

If you want to become a BETTER driver, get a manual FR-S. It will be FAR more rewarding to drive than the IS250.

If you want luxury, practicality and an easy drive get an IS250.
Old 04-03-13, 10:29 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Maybe you should consider BRZ limited. The best of both worlds.
Old 04-03-13, 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bojangals
OK, first post on here,
Welcome to CL and CAR CHAT as a new poster. Glad to have you.

When I test drove the 2010 IS 250 Automatic AWD, it felt like a speed demon! I was zipping through side streets and freeway traffic and was easily blazing past everyone. I mean seriously I thought it's acceleration was at true sport car speeds! I get home and discover it has a dismal 0-60 of 7.8 markedly slower than the FRS at 6.2. What the hell is going on here?

The numbers say the exact opposite than my intuition, the IS 250 should feel anemic and the FRS should be relatively blazing fast in comparison. Can anyone explain this? They both have nearly identical horsepower FRS = 200 vs IS 250 = 204. I guess the biggest difference comes in at the torque with the FRS at 185 lb ft torque vs IS 250 at 151 lb ft torque.
You've got it backwards. The IS250 has 185 ft-lbs. of torque, and the FR-S, 151.

The IS250, especially with AWD and automatic, also has a lot more weight and drag to lug around.

What do you guys think? Did any of you feel like the FRS was crazy faster than the IS 250?
I have only limited experience in an FR-S 6MT, but, from that experience, it did feel somewhat faster (but not crazy-faster) than the IS250 in either FWD or AWD form....especially the AWD, which adds weight and drag. The FR-S, of course, is much lighter, had a manual transmission, and comes only in RWD. IS250AWD are not available with a manual.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-03-13, 01:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bojangals
Ok, first post on here, I just joined to vent my conundrum in choosing between the Scion FR-S and the Lexus IS 250. Before you say it, yes they are completely different, apples and oranges, blah blah blah, but humor me and compare these two different fruit.

Speed
This is one of the biggest question marks I have. When I test drove both the FR-S and the BRZ they felt anemic, almost identical to the output of my old Acura Integra 1993. When I test drove the 2010 IS 250 Automatic AWD, it felt like a speed demon! I was zipping through side streets and freeway traffic and was easily blazing past everyone. I mean seriously I thought it's acceleration was at true sport car speeds! I get home and discover it has a dismal 0-60 of 7.8 markedly slower than the FRS at 6.2. What the hell is going on here?

The numbers say the exact opposite than my intuition, the IS 250 should feel anemic and the FRS should be relatively blazing fast in comparison. Can anyone explain this? They both have nearly identical horsepower FRS = 200 vs IS 250 = 204. I guess the biggest difference comes in at the torque with the FRS at 185 lb ft torque vs IS 250 at 151 lb ft torque. Is this the reason for such a disconnect between the two? It seems like the FR-S is so much lighter that it would easily makeup for the shortfall. Perhaps I have to rev the FRS at super high rpms to get any juice out of it while the IS 250 comfortably produces that same power at lower rpms?

Interior Space
This aspect puzzled me as well since there is very little head room in the IS 250 and the side and back windows were pretty small and the overall inside is small but the FRS interior seemed infinitely more confined. The visibility seemed very oppressive and restrictive too, when I got back in my Integra I felt a sigh of relief to being restored back to full visibility of my surroundings. Anyone else get that feeling in the FR-S?

Overall Impressions
The FR-S is a beautiful car that I'm hoping if I bought I would get used to and learn to love. The IS 250 I loved from the minute I set eyes on it and ten times more when I got inside. It just felt right, perfect size, handling, tight cornering, acceleration, and the air conditioned seats were a new experience for me. I only wish there were more RWD's in the Oregon area, they are around 90% AWD here, when it only snows enough to stick like once every 4 or 5 years, and it doesn't even really rain here, it mists.

What do you guys think? Did any of you feel like the FRS was crazy faster than the IS 250? Did you guys feel the FRS claustrophobia? I'm honestly confused by the numbers? I'll close here, sorry for the long rant, hope you could provide some insights. Cheerio
did you drive manual or AT FRS?

Quick Reply: Scion FR-S vs. IS 250