Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2014 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 11:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Its a great car for sure and good bang for your buck. But it lacks that polish, pedigree and prestige. Point in case zoom in on the materials used in the cabin. Lots of glitzy plastics - organized and executed nicely but you can still see it does not match up to a S-Class
Old 03-28-13, 01:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,653 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Its a great car for sure and good bang for your buck. But it lacks that polish, pedigree and prestige. Point in case zoom in on the materials used in the cabin. Lots of glitzy plastics - organized and executed nicely but you can still see it does not match up to a S-Class
Remember you could buy two Equuses for what an S Class costs.

The interior updates are very nice, I always felt that the interior of the previous Equus was not quite as close to what you'd find in an LS as their marketing would suggest. Its a lot of car for the money.

Remember, "lacks that polish, pedigree & prestige" is what they said about the LS too.
Old 03-28-13, 01:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that "most shopped" comment is just pathetic and desperate. Hyundai continues to stoop to lower and lower levels .

Note to the Koreans (Hyundai, Kia); not EVERYONE can be successful. Just because your culture is obsessed with success and working like crazy, doesn't mean you will be sucessful. There is more to success than just hard work and the wish to be successful.

Originally Posted by BNR34
Call me cheap, but I like what I see

No heated arm rests..........how disappointing
You're cheap .

In the end, you get what you pay for. If you want to pay for that, well that's what you get.
Old 03-28-13, 02:19 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Remember you could buy two Equuses for what an S Class costs.

The interior updates are very nice, I always felt that the interior of the previous Equus was not quite as close to what you'd find in an LS as their marketing would suggest. Its a lot of car for the money.

Remember, "lacks that polish, pedigree & prestige" is what they said about the LS too.
That doesn't bother me. If you like something that much, you will find a way to get it.

I'll give you that one. But I just don't want a Hyundai. I can attest that they make some cool cars, but I can also say that there is nothing they make that urges me to put one in my garage.
Old 03-28-13, 02:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yes, that "most shopped" comment is just pathetic and desperate. Hyundai continues to stoop to lower and lower levels .

Note to the Koreans (Hyundai, Kia); not EVERYONE can be successful. Just because your culture is obsessed with success and working like crazy, doesn't mean you will be sucessful. There is more to success than just hard work and the wish to be successful.

You're cheap .

In the end, you get what you pay for. If you want to pay for that, well that's what you get.
You sound like a Mercedes owner back in the early 90s when Lexus came on to the scene. Be careful . You may be eating your words in 5 years. The older benz owners are all trying to still remove their feet from their mouths and doing it from behind the wheel of a Lexus. All Im saying is give them a chance. Even Lexus, back in the day, was met with the same "its cheap" comments, and/or " you get what you pay for". Hell, they still get it from the German fanboys. I know its cliche and played out, but Hyundai may "outLexus" Lexus. They are using the same strategy. Give them the same features for less. Until the 460 came most automotive journalists still never felt that the Ls was a match for the S class. It will take some time but the Equus will rise.
Old 03-28-13, 02:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,487 Posts

i'm sure you didn't say similar things about a 1989 ls400.
Old 03-28-13, 02:38 PM
LexFather

Well copy or not they are improving it and they are surpassing their modest sales goal. Again I see this REAL flagship and I have to lol at brands that don't have one, it really looks bad. Its not even about this comparing to other luxury flagships. They are succeeding in this rare air of a market. To me while the style is derivative it does seem luxurious and have proper RWD proportions. Its inoffensive if not slightly handsome. The interior is 2-3 levels back but they are improving it.

My beef is with non-enthusiasts who think they are enthusiasts on the internet that bash Lexus to no end for copying and not being sporty and this gets a pass. Its worse in every way than what the LS or Lexus has ever done. It also gets the boring pass which is amazing since Lexus got/gets bashed for boring.

Hell now it offers HUD and even cooled rear seats. I have to applaud them for the improvements.

Old 03-28-13, 02:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The LS completely re-wrote the luxury playbook, Lexus completely re-wrote the luxury playbook. Did it copy? Yes. Did it also innovate? Yes. It was chosen as one of the greatest 100 cars of all time, the Equus would never get that recognition.

The Equus is simply another entry in this field, it did not change anything, no one went back to the drawing board, it did not scare anyone. Its here and elevates Hyundai and hasn't affected a thing.

It is utterly beyond ridiculous for anyone to bring up the original LS 400 but sadly its an easy internet talking point to try to ruffle feathers on a Lexus forum.

Old 03-28-13, 02:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
You sound like a Mercedes owner back in the early 90s when Lexus came on to the scene. Be careful . You may be eating your words in 5 years. The older benz owners are all trying to still remove their feet from their mouths and doing it from behind the wheel of a Lexus. All Im saying is give them a chance. Even Lexus, back in the day, was met with the same "its cheap" comments, and/or " you get what you pay for". Hell, they still get it from the German fanboys. I know its cliche and played out, but Hyundai may "outLexus" Lexus. They are using the same strategy. Give them the same features for less. Until the 460 came most automotive journalists still never felt that the Ls was a match for the S class. It will take some time but the Equus will rise.
You took the words out of my mouth

Slight disagreement, very similar strategy, but not exactly the same. The 1990 LS400 offered 20% higher quality for 33% less $, the initial Equus is offering 20% less quality for 33% less $. Lexus was hitting much harder initially, but same formula.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-28-13 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 02:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It is utterly beyond ridiculous for anyone to bring up the original LS 400 but sadly its an easy internet talking point to try to ruffle feathers on a Lexus forum.
context is everything. he said you get what you pay for. the ls400 was remarkable in refinement, and yes, much more innovative than an equus, but it sold well not just because of that but because it was also 20k less than an S-Class! but that was 24 years ago. now the s-class is outselling the ls, and STILL costs 20K more!

so while the Equus doesn't break new ground like the ls400 did, it's selling 'ok' partly because it's 20K less than an ls460!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-28-13 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 02:51 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't be ridiculous. The 1st gen LS was a revolutionary product that changed the traditional value formula in the full size luxury segment.

The Equus is nowhere close to that.
Old 03-28-13, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Its here and elevates Hyundai
Simple. Nice addition to a growing field of players. Won't shake anything up.

Most importantly like Blueprint said, it Elevates the brand. More options to the masses.
Old 03-28-13, 02:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

context is everything. he said you get what you pay for. the ls400 was remarkable in refinement, and yes, much more innovative than an equus, but it sold well not just because of that but because it was also 20k less than an S-Class! but that was 24 years ago. now the s-class is outselling the ls, and STILL costs 20K more!

so while the Equus doesn't break new ground like the ls400 did, it's selling 'ok' partly because it's 20K less than an ls460!
Its selling 3x-4x less than LS while being priced more like GS :-).

I am sure they will improve it more in next 2 years... but then costs will go up too.
Old 03-28-13, 03:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Don't be ridiculous. The 1st gen LS was a revolutionary product that changed the traditional value formula in the full size luxury segment.

The Equus is nowhere close to that.
you said you get what you pay for and now you're contradicting yourself with my example, that the ls400 was MORE than you paid for back then.
Old 03-28-13, 03:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Simple. Nice addition to a growing field of players. Won't shake anything up.

Most importantly like Blueprint said, it Elevates the brand. More options to the masses.
Yeah I mean I can understand some agitated as it clearly rips off the LS but its still a damn good car and people are buying it here. Hyundai with no badge or separate dealer network has succeeded where others have failed or not even attempted with the badge.

Hyundai knows it won't sell in big numbers but if they can sell a few here why not? It has helped slowly change some consumer perception about the brand.

Quick Reply: Official: 2014 Hyundai Equus