Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: 2014 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 08:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

love haterade because it's gm.

i'm no fan of the govt bailout, but gm is on a roll.
Old 03-26-13, 09:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

As mentioned earlier, the LaCrosse will continue to appeal to its market.

I just read an article that said the average age of Buick buyers is slowly inching down. In 2006 it was 66 and is now down to around 60. New models and updates will help in this area.
Old 03-26-13, 09:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mrraider
I'm sorry, but anyone who has sat in a LAcrosse will attest to the quality of fit and finish. It's as nice as GS on the inside, and far nicer than anything the Germans are peddling. The feature content is also so high, this thing makes the XTS redundant.

I'm sure the 2014 will not disappoint, and will be high on the list of ES customers who want a less "sporty" car than the currentES.
I honestly am unsure how you can say its even close to the GS or the Germans. It has a nice design but materials and everything is is a step behind. Just the cheap turquoise lighting on the dash screams budget. It clearly is a nice car but there is a reason it used to start at 27k before it got eco assist.

Yes 27k. So no way a 27k is as well built as the cars you mentioned. Sorry.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Its not haterade, people are being mature with responses and it seems the vast majority agree the interior is a step back.

Old 03-26-13, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I strongly considered a LaCrosse, myself (possibly with the AWD option), when I bought my Verano......the LaCrosse, IMO, has a superb ride/handling combination reminiscent of a number of BMWs. But the smaller and cheaper Verano, ironically, was, IMO, better-built inside and out (so was the Regal), and had a much more solid feel to its interior and exterior hardware. The Lacrosse's interior, though glitzy, was that same old GM/Chrysler budget-grade plastic underneath with a surface-coat of imitation wood-tone/chrome/aluminum to try and make it look expensive while using sub-par materials. That was clearly not the case with the Regal and Verano...with them (and, to an extent, the new Encore), what you see inside is what you get, though the Encore does have a few diappointments.

On the new Lacrosse's interior, I won't know for sure till I see it up front, but, from the images, it appears that is mostly just a facelift....with the primary-gauge panel, wood-tones, and upper-console/dash design changing the most. I generally prefer the new speedometer/odometer to the somewhat quirky design of the old read-markings in between the figures (which I'll show below)....but, on the other hand, the new speedometer has that Mercedes-style floating needle, which is not generally my cup of tea either.

(Old Lacrosse)

One thing I don't care for, on many of the speedometers today, is that most automakers tend to use 20-mph increments on the gauge (20, 40, 60, 80, etc....) instead of the (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc....) that I generally prefer. Doing it in 10-MPH increments instead of 20, IMO, makes it easier to read at a quick glance.
Old 03-26-13, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Definitely have to agree, Paul. Many of us on CL argued several years ago, both in CAR CHAT and in the Debate forum, about both the pros and cons of the GM/Chrysler bailouts (we won't rehash that here). But it is obvious that, after both bailouts and Fiat takeover, that both GM and Chrysler have been largely transformed (perhaps too much so with tires and suspensions) . Ford, of course, was doing better even before the bailouts.

Also agree on the haterade. Those who keep dissing GM today need to start looking for some new excuses....the old ones just aren't going to work any more.
Old 03-26-13, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I just read an article that said the average age of Buick buyers is slowly inching down. In 2006 it was 66 and is now down to around 60. New models and updates will help in this area.
Some of the older folks I know who used to drive LeSabres, Park-Avenues, and Lucernes are (grudgingly) buying the new LaCrosse (which is currently the largest Buick sedan available in the U.S.) but they are definitely not happy with the direction Buick is headed today.

However, I don't entirely agree with them. Yes, I liked the classic Buick float-ride myself, particularly on bumpy roads. But the Lacrosse, despite its traditional GM budget-plastic (though glitzy) interior, still offers a fair amount of that nice smooth ride, combined with much better handling. Even the suspension-engineers at BMW, IMO, haven't done it that much better. And the Verano and Encore, like it or not, are a heck of a lot easier to manuver and park than a traditional big Buick.
Old 03-31-13, 09:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of the older folks I know who used to drive LeSabres, Park-Avenues, and Lucernes are (grudgingly) buying the new LaCrosse (which is currently the largest Buick sedan available in the U.S.) but they are definitely not happy with the direction Buick is headed today.

However, I don't entirely agree with them. Yes, I liked the classic Buick float-ride myself, particularly on bumpy roads. But the Lacrosse, despite its traditional GM budget-plastic (though glitzy) interior, still offers a fair amount of that nice smooth ride, combined with much better handling. Even the suspension-engineers at BMW, IMO, haven't done it that much better. And the Verano and Encore, like it or not, are a heck of a lot easier to manuver and park than a traditional big Buick.
I still think that between Buick and Cadillac, Buick is the softer ride and will continue to be so with Cadillac going after luxury sport.
Old 04-01-13, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Just the cheap turquoise lighting on the dash screams budget.
I don't follow you here. What's budget about the ice-blue dash-lights? (to my eyes, they are actually more of a light blue than turquoise). They're the same ones used by many more expensive GM cars, including some Cadillacs. They were also used in the last-generation Chevy Malibu you yourself said was a nice car. GM is adopting those lights pretty much across the board (Chevy/Buick/Cadillac), with a few exceptions like orange for some performance models and the motorcycle-like subcompact Chevy Sonic dash.
Old 04-01-13, 03:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
I'm sorry, but anyone who has sat in a LAcrosse will attest to the quality of fit and finish. It's as nice as GS on the inside, and far nicer than anything the Germans are peddling. The feature content is also so high, this thing makes the XTS redundant.
I absolutely disagree. The Lacrosse drives great, its very solid and quiet. Styling is better in this refresh, but I felt material quality inside was mediocre at best, certainly nowhere near as good as a GS, and not even quite as good as the 2013 ES (which I have moaned about ad nauseum).

The big thing they need to learn is that if they want to compete with Lexus they need real wood trim. Sounds like this "ultra luxury" package may have real trim, but all of them need to have it. At least if its going to be fake don't use so damn much of it....

GM is making great products, huge improvements, but when it comes to interior material quality and fit and finish Ford and Chrysler still have the edge.
Old 04-01-13, 08:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The Lacrosse drives great, its very solid and quiet. Styling is better in this refresh,
I agree with the LaCrosse's chassis (one of the best I've seen outside of upmarket German makes). It superbly balances ride and handling.

but I felt material quality inside was mediocre at best, certainly nowhere near as good as a GS, and not even quite as good as the 2013 ES (which I have moaned about ad nauseum)
I agree that the Lacrosse uses too much traditional cheap-GM plastic inside.....much of that glitz is thinly-applied on top of the plastic. But the Regal and Verano interiors, being Opel-designed, don't share that problem. Their interiors have much more solid-feeling materials, though not as plush-looking as that of the Lacrosse.

The big thing they need to learn is that if they want to compete with Lexus they need real wood trim. Sounds like this "ultra luxury" package may have real trim, but all of them need to have it. At least if its going to be fake don't use so damn much of it....
The Lacrosse, however, despite the disappointing plastic interior, does have a nicely polished real wood steering wheel.

GM is making great products, huge improvements, but when it comes to interior material quality and fit and finish Ford and Chrysler still have the edge.
Not really. Ford and Chrysler still have a number of vehicles that are a disappointment inside, although on other Chrysler products, there has indeed been enormous improvement both inside and outside.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-13 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-01-13, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not really. Ford and Chrysler still have a number of vehicles that are a disappointment inside, although on other Chrysler products, there has indeed been enormous improvement both inside and outside.
IMHO Ford and Chrysler, on the whole, have better interiors than what we see from GM. Although, thats changing. The new Cadillac interiors are great, as you said the Regal and Verano have much better interiors as well.

I think part of it is I don't like GM switchgear, fonts, etc.
Old 04-02-13, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW10ES
IMHO Ford and Chrysler, on the whole, have better interiors than what we see from GM.
Styling, of course, is subjective, but, in general, a good case can be made that the Chrysler and Jeep Grand Cherokee have the two best Chrysler interiors. To be honest, though, (and maybe we will just agree to disagree on this) I haven't been terribly impressed with recent Ford interiors. The new Fusion, though, drives so well that you tend to overlook things like that.

Although, thats changing. The new Cadillac interiors are great,
Looks and material-wise, yes, but the CUE system is a major source of complaints from both customers and the auto-press.

I think part of it is I don't like GM switchgear, fonts, etc.
Once again, the stalks/switches we see on the German/Asian-sourced GM products (CTS, ATS, Verano, Cruze, Regal, etc....) substantially beat the ones we see on the American-designed ones.
Old 04-02-13, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Styling, of course, is subjective, but, in general, a good case can be made that the Chrysler and Jeep Grand Cherokee have the two best Chrysler interiors. To be honest, though, (and maybe we will just agree to disagree on this) I haven't been terribly impressed with recent Ford interiors. The new Fusion, though, drives so well that you tend to overlook things like that.
Yeah the interior of my Jeep is great, and its only a Laredo.

It depends on the Ford, the lower end stuff has tough materials, but the nicer models, Taurus, Explorer, Fusion, are very nice quality.

Looks and material-wise, yes, but the CUE system is a major source of complaints from both customers and the auto-press.
They'll iron that out. The XTS I drove had a stunning interior, everything top notch quality.
Old 04-27-14, 11:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Buick shows off new Ultra Luxury Interior for LaCrosse

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/buick...photo-2588232/

New LaCrosse Ultra Luxury Interior Drives Fashion Forward
Exclusive sangria and ebony premium interior sets an automotive trend

DETROIT, 2014-04-25 – Design statements with staying power are key in the automotive landscape, and Buick's global network of designers make them by continuously monitoring and interpreting trends in high-end fashion, furnishings, architecture and product design.

An example is the 2014 LaCrosse and its unique Ultra Luxury Interior Package.

LaCrosse is the only sedan in its class with the combination of sangria and ebony colors – a color palette seen across multiple luxury-goods industries. The exclusive Ultra Luxury Interior features front and rear seating upholstered in a rich, soft semi-aniline leather, dyed a deep sangria color. The premium leather flows over the console and door armrests, complemented by ebony-colored accents like the sueded headliner and door pillars.

"Oscillating and reverberating pink-hued purples, like Buick's sangria, were first identified by WGSN two years ago as a key shade for our Rendering Reality macro trend," said Fiona Coleman, Global Head of Color at WGSN Fashion Trend Forecasting & Analytics. "It's an intense, yet calming color perfectly suited for interiors, especially where a play on light, space and surface gives the feeling of movement. We've seen this color combination gather traction since Pantone® announced Radiant Orchid as its Color of the Year for 2014."

The LaCrosse Ultra Luxury Interior features authentic Shadow Tamo Ash wood trim on the doors, dash, and center console. Often used in musical instruments, the deeply grained Tamo Ash is a high-grade species that offers movement and contrast through its dark veins. It varies widely in appearance, so no two Ultra Luxury Interiors are alike.

"With this exclusive combination of premium materials and color execution, we are extending Buick's distinction in interior design," said Ven Lai, Buick lead creative designer for color and trim.

"The Ultra Luxury Interior builds on the success and increasing demand for environments that evoke luxury and personal expression. Every detail matters: From the grade, pattern, texture and color of the leather to the layering of natural wood, metal and stitching, this interior moves beyond convention," said Lai. "This application is tailored specifically to the LaCrosse and its customers, but we're exploring all avenues for where it could take Buick."

The Ultra Luxury Interior Package is available now on the 2014 LaCrosse Leather (1SL), Premium (1SP) and Premium ll (1SR) models equipped with the 3.6L V-6 engine.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/27/b...rior-official/
Old 04-28-14, 07:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds nice. Glad to see them use genuine wood, and the sueded headliner really makes an interior stand out.

Quick Reply: Official: 2014 Buick LaCrosse