Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS F; FT-HT and XSE among Trademark Filings For Toyota Motor Corporation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 09:50 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Much of this conversation has been hashed and rehashed in earlier GS F threads but my sentiments are that I would like to see Lexus build a ~550+hp GS F first and foremost. If they do not, I still won't be disappointed because I think the car can be very competitive, even with a horsepower disadvantage. The M5 is in a weak spot right now, the E63 is great but very expensive and the S6 has 420 hp. If I had to pick a sedan currently sold in that category, it would be the XF-R, but that seems to be much lower volume than the others.
The S6 competes with the E550 and 550i. The RS6 was recently revealed and is making 553 hp.
Old 03-28-13, 10:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I've said this before but it bears repeating.

I'm betting the GS-F is hybrid.

Clue 1 : Toyota has proved that it can make performance hybrids to rival Audi during the 24 hour Le Mans endurance race. ( see : Toyota TS030 Hybrid )

Clue 2 : all the automotive scoops seem to suggest a 5L gasoline engine GS-F with engine hp just slightly more than the IS-F. That is seemingly a suicidal decision from a marketing perspective when the flagship performance car has the same hp as its little brother.An M5/RS6/E63 AMG does not have the same hp as an M3/RS4/C63 AMG.

Clue 3 : The US, the single biggest Lexus market in the world does not get the GS450h F-Sport even though the GS450h F-sport combines F-Sport handling with the instantaneous low-end torque of Lexus Hybrid Synergy drivetrain.

Clue 4 : Toyota/Lexus is betting its farm on Hybrid, essentially making Hybrid an inextricable part of Lexus DNA. It would look odd if its flagship GS isn't hybrid.

Explanation that ties everything together : Yes, the GS-F will have a NA V8 gasoline engine making about 400+ hp but what the scoops probably missed is that the engine is PART OF a hybrid drivetrain. A new performance oriented hybrid drivetrain that incorporates tech from the TS030 Hybrid. Total system hp and torque will probably easily exceed 500hp and make the Germans squeamish. All while escaping Gas Guzzler Tax.

Probably explains why US doesn't yet have GS450h F-Sport : it might steal the shock and awe of a GS-F unveiling in the US market when there's already a little brother essentially providing the same combo of F-Sport + hybrid ( albeit to a lesser degree) in a GS450h F-Sport.

I foresee the US getting the GS450h F-Sport at the same time as the GS-F, where the marketing slant will be : can't/won't afford the GS-F? Never mind, you can get its cheaper, more fuel economical little brother, the GS450h F-Sport!!!

See, there's a method to Lexus' madness

Last edited by natnut; 03-28-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-28-13, 10:15 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

But hybrids are heavier, how would the extra weight benefit a car like the GS-F? Also, hybrids are still pricey, so combining hybrid tech with already not so cheap V8 and sport chassis would probably raise the price of the car to $90k or up.
Old 03-28-13, 10:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

Clue 2 : all the automotive scoops seem to suggest a 5L gasoline engine GS-F with engine hp just slightly more than the IS-F. That is seemingly a suicidal decision from a marketing perspective when the flagship performance car has the same hp as its little brother.An M5/RS6/E63 AMG does not have the same hp as an M3/RS4/C63 AMG.
I take your bet. I am going to bet on clue 2. 5.0L V8 with 470 hp and priced in the low to mid $70's
Old 03-28-13, 11:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
The S6 competes with the E550 and 550i. The RS6 was recently revealed and is making 553 hp.
Although that's true, comparison tests have shown that the S6's performance matches/beats the E63 and M5
Old 03-28-13, 11:40 AM
Hoovey689

Clue 1 : Toyota has proved that it can make performance hybrids to rival Audi during the 24 hour Le Mans endurance race. ( see : Toyota TS030 Hybrid )

Clue 3 : The US, the single biggest Lexus market in the world does not get the GS450h F-Sport even though the GS450h F-sport combines F-Sport handling with the instantaneous low-end torque of Lexus Hybrid Synergy drivetrain.

Clue 4 : Toyota/Lexus is betting its farm on Hybrid, essentially making Hybrid an inextricable part of Lexus DNA. It would look odd if its flagship GS isn't hybrid.

Explanation that ties everything together : Yes, the GS-F will have a NA V8 gasoline engine making about 400+ hp but what the scoops probably missed is that the engine is PART OF a hybrid drivetrain. A new performance oriented hybrid drivetrain that incorporates tech from the TS030 Hybrid. Total system hp and torque will probably easily exceed 500hp and make the Germans squeamish. All while escaping Gas Guzzler Tax.

Probably explains why US doesn't yet have GS450h F-Sport : it might steal the shock and awe of a GS-F unveiling in the US market when there's already a little brother essentially providing the same combo of F-Sport + hybrid ( albeit to a lesser degree) in a GS450h F-Sport.

I foresee the US getting the GS450h F-Sport at the same time as the GS-F, where the marketing slant will be : can't/won't afford the GS-F? Never mind, you can get its cheaper, more fuel economical little brother, the GS450h F-Sport!!!

I too don't think that the GS-F will be a hybrid. But I'm sure the tech is coming. The LF-LC was announced the green light today, and here are some tidbits (not official) regarding powertrains which could easily find there way into other Lexus engine bays including the GS

GT Channel posits that the LF-LC will be the inspiration for a coupe in the Lexus LS price bracket with a choice of either the 4.2-liter V8 or the hybrid powertrain from the LS 600h, further speculating it will be called LC 550 and cost more than $100,000. It then says that there would be another coupe created beneath that one to replace the SC 430. Lexus Enthusiast, however, calls those "warmed-over rumors" and says that the marque probably won't deviate from its engine-capacity-naming scheme – labeling a car with a 4.2-liter V8 an LC 550. Nor does it think Lexus will use the letters LC after the company has trademarked "RC" in the US and Australia.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/28/l...or-production/
Old 03-28-13, 01:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I would be fine with 460hp or so. Hell I'd be fine with 350hp or so, the GS chassis is so good that is could use more power to make it even more fun.

500hp plus to me is all about really chasing a HP rating and marketing, it does not necessarily make a better or more useable car. It does make for faster track times to brag about.
500+ will be good mostly for the trolls, shills, haters and the internet crowd.
If the car is light, and if it has supreme handling balance like the regular 4GS, then 500+ isn't needed, especially if it upsets the handling and chassis balance.

Originally Posted by spwolf

this is new powertrain center in Toyota Technical Center

where 2800 Toyota employees create new powertrains... lets see what they got :-)
Amazing! The "Japanese dragon" only grows stronger with each day.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
But hybrids are heavier, how would the extra weight benefit a car like the GS-F? Also, hybrids are still pricey, so combining hybrid tech with already not so cheap V8 and sport chassis would probably raise the price of the car to $90k or up.
With supercapacitors instead of batteries, no they're not heavier.
Old 04-01-13, 02:36 PM
bagyo
Driver

Via aid of hybrid batteries, supercapacitators, turbos, supercharger, jet pack strapped to the back, whatever; I think the majority of us would love to see a balanced 550hp+ GSF come into fruition. If your going to build one, build it right, or not at all. Having big Horsepower will sway those who already have the M5, RS6, and AMG to actually a look at what Lexus has to offer instead of just brushing it off and stay with their current German brands. Not the current trend of Lexus but in the past, Lexus has actually played with the big boys when it comes to HP and/or performance. In 92' the SC400 had 255hp, just shy of 15hp to the Asian Ferrari of it's era NSX having 270hp. In 98' if I'm not mistaken, the GS400 with a 300hp V8 was "The fastest automatic performance sedan in the world" according to this commercial....type "Lexus GS400 Commercial (Something Wicked)" on YouTube. Go big, go hard, or go home.
Old 04-01-13, 03:14 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I don't care if it's a hybrid, but it better put up the numbers. The porsche 918 is a hybrid making 823 HP total. No one will complain about that.

Hybrid sports cars are fine as long as they have the numbers.
Old 04-01-13, 03:16 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
I take your bet. I am going to bet on clue 2. 5.0L V8 with 470 hp and priced in the low to mid $70's
In other words you're betting on the GSF being an abject failure.

They played the "numbers game" with the ISF pretty well (416 HP to the M3's 416 HP or whatever it has). I don't see Lexus tarnishing the F line by failing to consider the fact that the GSF's competitors all have horsepower in the 550+ range.
Old 04-01-13, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
I don't care if it's a hybrid, but it better put up the numbers. The porsche 918 is a hybrid making 823 HP total. No one will complain about that.

Hybrid sports cars are fine as long as they have the numbers.
can GS-F cost $845k like 918?

I bet it wont be hybrid but nice V8. To make some crazy numbers in hybrids you need to be plugin, you need super-capacitor, you need expensive materials to drop the weight down due to all those new components... and in the end, you get very very expensive car.

Instead, nice V8 with 460hp-560hp will do wonders, be relatively affordable and something people can appreciate. So unless someone develops new type of battery that can output 100hp from small pack, i dont see hybrid version coming soon. Right now battery output is limited to 50-60hp and thats simply not good enough to get over 300lbs weight gain.
Old 04-01-13, 09:16 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I bet it wont be hybrid but nice V8. To make some crazy numbers in hybrids you need to be plugin, you need super-capacitor, you need expensive materials to drop the weight down due to all those new components... and in the end, you get very very expensive car.

Instead, nice V8 with 460hp-560hp will do wonders, be relatively affordable and something people can appreciate. So unless someone develops new type of battery that can output 100hp from small pack, i dont see hybrid version coming soon. Right now battery output is limited to 50-60hp and thats simply not good enough to get over 300lbs weight gain.
No, but it can cost $90K base like the M5.
Old 04-01-13, 09:35 PM
Hoovey689

Wonder if there's a motor the size of that building in there
Old 04-01-13, 10:14 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

And also didn't Toyota build some hybrid KERS system that pushed a collaboration car with Lotus to well over 500 or 600 HP?

What's this about Toyota batteries being limited to just 50 or 60 HP?
Old 04-02-13, 09:54 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i bet it is a hybrid, which lexus will share in/with 2 or more different models plus a detuned version...... courtesy of Lf-Lc 500+hp performance hybrid engine

Quick Reply: GS F; FT-HT and XSE among Trademark Filings For Toyota Motor Corporation