Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 06:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
And the mention of no credible reports on the acceleration deal?
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota...ry?id=22972214
Hiway patrol man and family in a lexus. Out of all people other than a professional race driver he would not panic and would first do what EVERYONE says to do in that sort of situation.

What is interesting about this, long before all that acceleration stuff was in the news, my little car I installed a cruise control in would constantly have the accelerator stick. No big deal, and before that in my younger days had another old junker that had a accelerator spring that would pop off and go wide open throttle a quick toe under the gas pedal fixed the problem. So I really don't buy the floor mat answer to the problem.

Has the problem ever happened to a mechanic or old timer?
you are 5 years late... all of this has been debunked and discussed to death...
Old 02-11-15, 06:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Not everyone does this, they panic or whatever and pump the brakes. That's why a throttle override makes so much sense, protect people from their own incompetence. Either way I don't understand why in so many of these cases no one tries to put the car in neutral. Sure they say they tried and it didn't work but I don't find this credible.
because most of these cases were people hitting gas instead of brakes. I think almost every investigation by NHTSA later on concluded that reason was pedal misapplication, if not every single one.

as to the brakes overpowering engine, unless you destroyed your brakes, they will... one of the big mags (C/D?) had a test with Camry V6 and it had no problems stopping the car after pedal was jammed at WOT on purpose.

Now if you are applying your brakes for 40-50 miles without stopping completely, you will kill them and of course they wont stop anything anymore.

So basically these smart stop systems help drivers that should not be driving. New Toyota auto-brake safety system will also do this in parking lots - if it detects obstacle and you press gas (as in pedal misapplication), car will not do anything even at low speeds.
Old 02-11-15, 08:14 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All kinda funny responses since my post. None of you even watched the 60 minutes deal. IT SHOWED HOW THE CAR WAS CONTROLED BY SOMEONE ELSE.
And how the code was reprogrammed. In new cars after a certain year the "mechanical shifter" is no more mechanical than the accelerator pedal is, and if there is a mechanical link its only to the park pawl and that will not engage at speed. At speed the small surface area parking brakes become ineffective because of fade. And besides try to drive your car over 50 mph and yank the parking brake, I bet you spin out of control especially if you are entering a turn.

Again your all thinking of cars from the early 90's and lower years. It is the computer age in cars now.
Here are some good links for electronic parking brakes.
https://www.google.com/patents/US5370449
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_brake
scroll down to electric park brake.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-s...brake-2871442/
In this forum read the "electromechanical parking brake"
Oh and ABS is operated via a computer, everyone thinks runway is just a gas pedal sticking. Again watch 60 minutes show.

Here you go the only mechanical link in this manualish type transmission is to the parking pawl. The shift collars are all moved by way of shift solenoids. They mention a manual mode, but even then its done just like anyother modern automatic transmission, by electrical shift solenoids. And a computer is allowing the different modes.
ZF 7DT dual clutch transmission - YouTube
If everything is indeed controlled by a computer and software, In that case all bets are off. I live in the software world and can tell you no amount of testing can prevent the occasional brain freeze.
Old 02-11-15, 10:44 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
don't forget the Audi that started it all.
You mean Mike Wallace started it all...
Old 02-11-15, 11:28 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,740 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
as to the brakes overpowering engine, unless you destroyed your brakes, they will... one of the big mags (C/D?) had a test with Camry V6 and it had no problems stopping the car after pedal was jammed at WOT on purpose.
It doesn't matter how good the brakes are mechanically, when the vacuum boost is gone most people don't have the strength to press the pedal hard enough to stop the car. WOT creates a low vacuum condition, so a few pumps of the pedal and then you effectively have no brakes. That's why the brake override was put in place it eliminates this condition.

For there to be an actual unintended acceleration with no recourse all of this has to happen -

Software/mechanical problem creating WOT
Transmission unable to be put in neutral
Ignition cannot be turned off

The probability of the all 3 of these things happening at once are next to impossible.
Old 02-11-15, 01:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

I guess no one has ever heard about Trac controls causing spin outs, or ABS causing crashes, on the newer cars with things like OnStar (I know different manufactures have something named different) they can turn things on and off, and then theres the stuff that can be done through it that is not publicized like what was shown on 60 minutes.
So again since the computers in the cars control everything, that is the main reason for the runaway cars. The mat thing is total nonsense and is the cheap and easy way out of a serious problem. The cop would have turned the key off or shifted to neutral, or stepped hard on the brake and looked down or reached down to pull up on the gas pedal.
But when the only thing that worked for him is the steering wheel that's all that could be done is enjoy the ride. The parking brake would fade unless it was an electromechanical type that would then not work, and everything else would be locked out, push on the brakes with what ever force you like, sorry ABS controlled via computer won't allow anything to happen. Shift that transmission shift switch to neutral sorry the computer says no. Turn that key off, sorry computer says no, and now if you have auto parallel park or lane hold try to steer out of it.
Old 02-11-15, 01:48 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 603 Likes on 416 Posts

Got it, so because you don't like the explanation of the floor mat, it must be the computers that are causing every single UA issue. Despite the fact that the study from the NHTSA and NASA say that there is no proof that it was a software issue, it has to be a software issue.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/UA
Old 02-11-15, 02:15 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess no one has ever heard about Trac controls causing spin outs, or ABS causing crashes, on the newer cars with things like OnStar (I know different manufactures have something named different) they can turn things on and off, and then theres the stuff that can be done through it that is not publicized like what was shown on 60 minutes.
So again since the computers in the cars control everything, that is the main reason for the runaway cars. The mat thing is total nonsense and is the cheap and easy way out of a serious problem. The cop would have turned the key off or shifted to neutral, or stepped hard on the brake and looked down or reached down to pull up on the gas pedal.
But when the only thing that worked for him is the steering wheel that's all that could be done is enjoy the ride. The parking brake would fade unless it was an electromechanical type that would then not work, and everything else would be locked out, push on the brakes with what ever force you like, sorry ABS controlled via computer won't allow anything to happen. Shift that transmission shift switch to neutral sorry the computer says no. Turn that key off, sorry computer says no, and now if you have auto parallel park or lane hold try to steer out of it.
No--I have not heard of this. If it's "not publicized", how do you know about it? And if you know about it, why aren't more news outlets doing expose stories on this "rise of the machines"? Maybe the NSA is behind it all? Conspiracy theories are entertaining, and great fun at cocktail parties, but they are "theories" because there's no facts behind them. GM managed to bury the faulty ignition switch issue for years before it saw the kind of publicity it deserved--but unintended acceleration accusations go back to the 80s with Audi--you can't bury a story that long without the truth coming out.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-11-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 02:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,604 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The report that Allan K posted is a good and informative read. It's hard to continue to believe in UA after reading it. I also find that this Car and Driver article does a decent job of summing up the DOT response and the NASA findings:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-scare-feature

On a side note, I am an engineer and this is exactly the kind of stuff I work on daily, but in commercial aviation. We are transitioning more and more to computer/electronic controlled systems and away from mechanical systems, for reliability concerns. I've learned a lot over the past 10 years or so. It's a fascinating subject.
Old 02-11-15, 02:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,401 Posts

dicer - do you ever get on a commercial airliner? (or non-commercial plane for that matter) pretty much entirely computer driven from the ground and air. of course you can go 'old school' and fly that ancient cessna or piper and your chances of death go WAY UP!

car was modified by splicing wires of course... there is no way to hack a car without modifiying it physically first... it is far easier to just cut their brake line :-)

So basically these smart stop systems help drivers that should not be driving.
bwaha - good one!

Originally Posted by chikoo
don't forget the Audi that started it all.
except they didn't. not at all. as ted says, 60 minutes destroyed their reputation and years later their 'investigation' was all thrown out as garbage and it's taken decades for audi to get back in the game through no fault of their own.

Originally Posted by tex2670
No--I have not heard of this. If it's "not publicized", how do you know about it? And if you know about it, why aren't more news outlets doing expose stories on this "rise of the machines"?

the internets and typically millenials have caused a giant void in critical thinking, allowing actual evidence and viral conspiracies to be treated as equally valid.
Old 02-11-15, 03:36 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and there fore we need this every 5 miles

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...lained-feature

Old 02-12-15, 03:09 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Did anyone go to the link to the 60 minutes car hack?
I am a pilot that will not fly in flyby wire without having a parachute.

Anyone that deals with computers and software knows what I'm saying, a floor mat is not the problem. Like I said been there done that. Old cars go to neutral, key off simple stuff. New computerized cars the computer does it all. Nothing to debunk just a computer gone wild or someone with access to all the different onstar type control stuff.

And anything in volatile memory that is a cause of a problem will be gone after the crash, so then you have to look for some stupid thing to make you look like you found the problem. And I am not picking on Toyota, they make the best of the best, and personally I don't think there was a problem with any of the cars. Gosh in the early 90's Lexus is the only car I know of that secured the floor mats how nice I like that.

And for the guy that says no way to hack a car, watch the show. And then go try a car with onstar or some other manufactures system then come back and tell us about it.

Last edited by dicer; 02-12-15 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-12-15, 04:29 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Anyone that deals with computers and software knows what I'm saying, a floor mat is not the problem. Like I said been there done that. Old cars go to neutral, key off simple stuff. New computerized cars the computer does it all. Nothing to debunk just a computer gone wild or someone with access to all the different onstar type control stuff.

And anything in volatile memory that is a cause of a problem will be gone after the crash, so then you have to look for some stupid thing to make you look like you found the problem. And I am not picking on Toyota, they make the best of the best, and personally I don't think there was a problem with any of the cars. Gosh in the early 90's Lexus is the only car I know of that secured the floor mats how nice I like that.

And for the guy that says no way to hack a car, watch the show. And then go try a car with onstar or some other manufactures system then come back and tell us about it.
Are you referring to the same 60 Minutes that drilled a hole in the Audi 5000's transmission and force fed it air in order to cause their "unintended acceleration"? I haven't watched the video because I haven't had the time, but were there any physical adjustments made to the car? Did they definitely state that no physical adjustments were made? Access to the OBD port? The lack of detail regarding the hack makes this just another piece of sensationalist journalism on par with the Audi UA issue. Notice that Camry's haven't had UA issues since the coverage stopped?

Hope you aren't flying in any newer Airbus planes as they're all fly by wire now.
Old 02-12-15, 06:03 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

At the end of the day, people are going to believe what they want to believe. Do I believe that software issues are what caused any of these UA issues? No, primarily because once the press on them goes away, the problems seem to go away as well. The auto manufacturers aren't bringing all these cars in and the owners of the cars aren't all bringing them in so if it were a software issue it wouldn't have been patched and we'd be seeing a lot more of the issues.

Is hacking an issue? Right now, no. Unless more info comes out on this DARPA act and it really does not need a physical connection to the car and can be done solely by a laptop with no prior setup in the car, hacking is not really a thing. Plus, if your legitimately worried about getting your car hacked, think about the millions upon millions of cars on the road. Why would they care about you and your car? i'm damn sure they don't care about me and my car.
Old 02-12-15, 10:20 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I recall that episode. It required a computer programer/electrical engineer to gain access to the car to cut and splice wires so that he could install some kind of hacking device. He ended up being able to control parts of the car via a MODIFIED WIRED CONNECTION. I fail to understand your concern.

Quick Reply: Unintended Sudden Acceleration of an Hyundai Elantra Ended in High-Speed Crash