Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hydraulic vs. Electric Power Steering.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-13, 06:15 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I meant to say. 2014 Tundra and not IS
Wrong forum? That would explain a lot.
Old 02-25-13, 12:27 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In the same C&D article, the testers rated the EPS vs. HPS in 10 subjective areas.

The EPS was preferred in 7 areas, tied in 2 areas and HPS was preferred in 1 area.
My point exactly, the EPS might be already better ............

Just like most things new, people don't want to change because the 1st generation is bad, over time the new design gets better and people forget about the old ways.
Old 02-25-13, 02:35 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In the same C&D article, the testers rated the EPS vs. HPS in 10 subjective areas.

The EPS was preferred in 7 areas, tied in 2 areas and HPS was preferred in 1 area.
Originally Posted by BNR34
My point exactly, the EPS might be already better ............

Just like most things new, people don't want to change because the 1st generation is bad, over time the new design gets better and people forget about the old ways.
Was this the BMW 5-series test? If that's the one you guys are referring to, IIRC there were two problems: First, they used the AWD 5-series in the comparo, which are widely panned for having far inferior steering feel compared to the RWD BMWs (and I can personally attest to that, as I test-drove the last-gen 335 xi once and it was terrible compared to the regular 335i); and second, they used two completely different models for the test. I think it was the turbo 4 and the turbo 6 that they compared. That means different engines, different weights, and different weight balances, all of which contribute heavily to steering feel differences. For example - as I said in my last post - if there is less weight over the front wheels, there is going to be better steering response. This is aside from superior weight balance which I'm sure the I4 has.

This is the same reason only one car mag (that I know of) that reviewed the 2011 IS F even mentioned the revised steering feel that resulted from an ECU revamp, despite the fact that it was the very first thing I noticed about the '11 and one of the very first things I wrote about on this forum when I moved to the '11 from the '08. Comparisons need to be direct and between actually comparable vehicles, otherwise there's just no way they are valid. Almost all the mags out there missed the revised ECU because they didn't bother comparing it to the '08. (Or even the '10.)

As I said before, electronics can do anything hydraulics can do as far as steering assist. I am not disputing that. It's just like digital for films; digital can do anything analog can do. That's not debatable. The question is just if the tech is good enough and the software is good enough, and that can only be accomplished if the car companies are willing to spend enough money and hire the right people for the job.

Last edited by gengar; 02-25-13 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-25-13, 03:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The article also said that BMW seems to be a little ahead of other brands in EPS, but they focus more on steering and handling dynamics than most other car makers, and there still is a way to go for EPS in general.

I have it on a new Audi and so far I like it. Different, yes but I've adjusted.
Old 02-25-13, 04:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Was this the BMW 5-series test?
Yes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7779993-post4.html

Originally Posted by gengar
and second, they used two completely different models for the test. I think it was the turbo 4 and the turbo 6 that they compared.
They had to, it is the only way to get both HPS and EPS from the same chassis.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-25-13 at 04:19 PM.