Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparison: Hyundai Azera vs. Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV vs. Toyota Avalon Limited

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-13, 10:45 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This new Avalon is sadly a better ES350, especially in the materials used department

100% agree I'd get the Avalon over an ES if I was in the market to buy one.
Old 02-14-13, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

But that's nothing compared with the Toyota, which now can positively crash through its suspension on patchy pavement.

This starchy new ride quality is going to startle some long-time Avalon adherents. For instance, there's this enthusiastic guy, who recently posted at motortrend.com's general forum: "Hi, folks, I just saw pics of [the Avalon, blah, blah, blah]. I hope they kept the car's well-isolated interior, as well as the float-on-clouds suspension." Sur-prise!
Yes, a shame. The new Avalon is better in several ways than its predecessor....and, arguably, better even than the new Lexus ES350 (which, IMO, is a disappointment). But it would have been better yet if Toyota had resisted the urge, as is being done with practically every other car these days, to sport-sedan the chassis.
Old 02-14-13, 01:23 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Don't think Lexus is moving to all RWD any time soon. Over half of Lexus's car sales comes from the ES (and over 10% is from the CT). Over 80% of the Lexus SUV sales comes from the RX, many of which are FWD too. If you take away all FWD Lexus then Lexus sales will likely drop over 60% in the short term.
+1.

FWD consist of huge amount of sales volume for Lexus. Even BMW is about to add FWD models in their entry level line up.
Old 02-14-13, 01:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
it works great for BMW!!!!
Even BMW disagreed with that, their latest line up are all soften up to increase sales volume. They want to be the old Lexus.
Old 02-14-13, 01:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The Avalon won, you guys ain't buying it, quit the *****ing

I'm still a fan of the Maxima.
How you know I am not in the market for one?
Old 02-14-13, 01:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Can't say it's backfired yet until some model years go by and we see how sales go. So far, it's winning comparison tests.... a good sign. I see only good things coming to a company who tightens up sloopy handling and lowers the average age of buyers.
Winning comparison tests and selling well are two different thing. Is like movie critics and box office sales don't always agreed.

I don't understand the advantage of lowering the average age of buyers, in general old folks got money, young folks don't. And I don't see younger folks wanting a $40k extra large premium Camry (Avalon) over a Lexus IS, no matter how sporty they make the Avalon.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-14-13 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 01:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Winning comparison tests and selling well are two different thing. Is like movie critics and box office sales don't always agreed.

I don't understand the advantage of lowering the average age of buyers, in general old folks got money, young folks don't. And I don't see younger folks wanting a $40k extra large premium Camry (Avalon) over a Lexus IS, no matter how sporty they make the Avalon.
not sure whats your point when new Avalon is selling 5x more than Azera? And 2x more than Nissan?

It is selling great... and thats without full availability.

Young folks here being in their 50's and not late 60's.... not 20's.
Old 02-14-13, 01:57 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"the all-new 2013 Avalon, a redesign that the automaker hopes will attract younger buyers to the vehicle, whose average buyer has been in his or her mid-60s."-USA Today.

I can see the new design attracting some 40's and more 50's buyers.
The last design was terrible looking,IMO.
Old 02-14-13, 02:12 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
not sure whats your point when new Avalon is selling 5x more than Azera? And 2x more than Nissan?

It is selling great... and thats without full availability.
Comparing to slow selling cars don't mean much, how is the new Avalon sales compare to old Avalon sales year after year?

Young folks here being in their 50's and not late 60's.... not 20's.
That make sense.
Old 02-14-13, 02:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Comparing to slow selling cars don't mean much, how is the new Avalon sales compare to old Avalon sales year after year?
You can only compare vs current market... Old Avalon sold well in very different market... In 2012, large car sales dropped by 50% or so overall.

Right now they cant build enough Avalon's, so I think they did pretty good reflection on how well is car doing.

Whats more important is that Avalon and ES together are selling really well, 13k last month and should be more as production ramps up.
Old 02-14-13, 03:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

You can only compare vs current market... Old Avalon sold well in very different market... In 2012, large car sales dropped by 50% or so overall.

Right now they cant build enough Avalon's, so I think they did pretty good reflection on how well is car doing.

Whats more important is that Avalon and ES together are selling really well, 13k last month and should be more as production ramps up.
One way to gauge the success of the new Avalon is, how does the sales volume compare to the 1st year of the last generation.

That's how I look at it.

Comparing it to a new player (Azera) doesn't mean much, is like comparing sales volume of the LS460L to the Equus. Consumers are still warming up to the idea of a premium Hyundai.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-14-13 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

One way to gauge the success of the new Avalon is, how does the sales volume compare to the 1st year of the last generation.

That's how I look at it.
well you can look at it anyway you want, the fact is that full sized car sales dropped by at least 50% in past 5-6 years. Thats across the segment, not Avalon.

It is shift in buyer preferences.

Just like on the other hand, Rav4 will be failure if it doesnt increase its 1st year sales of last generation, since sales across the segment are way up so not to increase its market share, it would mean it fails.
Old 02-14-13, 05:48 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you can look at it anyway you want, the fact is that full sized car sales dropped by at least 50% in past 5-6 years. Thats across the segment, not Avalon.

Just like on the other hand, Rav4 will be failure if it doesnt increase its 1st year sales of last generation, since sales across the segment are way up so not to increase its market share, it would mean it fails.
While I agree that market share is generally a better gauge of success than volume, the problem is that the definition and the boundary of the Avalon's market segment is not a stable one, and that the number of players in its segment has changed over the years, especially now that it arguably includes even the ES.

Last edited by ydooby; 02-14-13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-15-13, 06:06 AM
LexFather

Well it depends on the sales target. If the Rav4 sales target is no higher than the last model and it meets it, that is success not failure.

There are less entries in this field as well. Any reason they didn't include the Buick LaCrosse?

Old 02-15-13, 07:13 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any word on when the 8th gen maxima is to be announced

Quick Reply: Comparison: Hyundai Azera vs. Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV vs. Toyota Avalon Limited