Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla accuses New York Times of faking a Model S road test: Big Oil dollars at work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well problem here is that when you are out of juice, you need to call a flatbed to take you home... he had 240 miles to charging station and couldnt make it.
in oil driven car, you simply go to nearest station and voila.
I don't quite follow you here. In a gas or diesel-powered car, if you run of fuel, it's no different from running out of charge in a battery. You're stuck either way (and you can't drive to the nearest station)....unless somebody either brings you a gallon of fuel or a portable-charger for the battery.
Old 02-13-13, 10:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well problem here is that when you are out of juice, you need to call a flatbed to take you home... he had 240 miles to charging station and couldnt make it.

in oil driven car, you simply go to nearest station and voila.
I'm sure there's 100X more regular ole electrical 110v outlets than gas stations in the USA...
Old 02-13-13, 03:46 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Because in real life, you never ever have unplanned detours that wind up forcing you through unforseen bad traffic.
You do, then report it accurately in the review, don't make it look like it didn't meet expectations. Which is,I think, what the whole hoopla is about.
Old 02-14-13, 03:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Conclusion to the story

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most...iar-test-drive

Driving circles in the parking lot? Wow... Slow news day at NYT uh?
Old 02-14-13, 04:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't quite follow you here. In a gas or diesel-powered car, if you run of fuel, it's no different from running out of charge in a battery. You're stuck either way (and you can't drive to the nearest station)....unless somebody either brings you a gallon of fuel or a portable-charger for the battery.
tesla superchargers are 240 miles apart on east cost.
Old 02-14-13, 04:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'm sure there's 100X more regular ole electrical 110v outlets than gas stations in the USA...
yes but it takes 48hrs to recharge from 110v :-)
Old 02-14-13, 06:16 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

If the NYT reporter actually did what Tesla says he did, drive around in circles in the parking lot, then the NYT should issue a retraction on the story. Considering what happened to Tesla's stock price, they may have a case for suing for damages:

http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/def...rticlemap0.jpg
Old 02-14-13, 06:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it was driven on parking lot for 5 minutes

I guess you shouldnt drive your car on parking lots, and you should not drive it at 70 MPH :-).

this will get just worse for Tesla... there is a reason that Toyota is paying 1 billion to settle lawsuits that werent their fault.
Old 02-14-13, 06:35 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

I guess you shouldnt drive your car on parking lots, and you should not drive it at 70 MPH :-).

this will get just worse for Tesla... there is a reason that Toyota is paying 1 billion to settle lawsuits that werent their fault.
The point is that it was driven around in CIRCLES in the parking lot with the clear intent to make it run out of power. It was also driven at 70mph when it was REPORTED to have been at 50mph. Why would the reporter feel the need to misrepresents the facts if there was no ulterior motive or agenda?

While it is true that Tesla may be better off letting this story die, the fact that it had material impact on their stock price and their reputation, they would be irresponsible to let the NYT get away with it. Toyota has the cash reserves to pay it out, Tesla doesn't. Toyota has the history and reputational strenght to endure a few bad publicity events, Tesla doesn't, yet, and they won't get a chance if they let stories like this go out unchallenged.

I couldn't give a damn about Tesla, but based on the story in the NYT and the retort by Tesla, it is clear that NYT owes an explanation on what actually happened.

Last edited by My0gr81; 02-14-13 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-14-13, 06:43 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yes but it takes 48hrs to recharge from 110v :-)
to 100% yes.
Old 02-14-13, 07:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The point is that it was driven around in CIRCLES in the parking lot with the clear intent to make it run out of power. It was also driven at 70mph when it was REPORTED to have been at 50mph. Why would the reporter feel the need to misrepresents the facts if there was no ulterior motive or agenda?
it was driven on parking lot for 5 minutes... 5 minutes... not 500 minutes.

as to the 70mph, are you going to be driving your 100k sports sedan 45 mph to get maximum mileage? Its 70mph, not 130 mph.

moral of the story - when they read above, people will be vary... moral of the story, your mileage in ev will vary. moral of the story - you dont run successful business by attacking journalists and calling them names.
Old 02-14-13, 07:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 793 Likes on 556 Posts

Not so much you should't drive under those conditions, but more you shouldn't try to misrepresent facts to swing the story in your favor Data recordings are pretty damning to the picture that the reporter was attempting to paint
Old 02-14-13, 07:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
to 100% yes.
well full is 260 miles... without tesla super chargers, it is really pointless to have this car... even with tesla super chargers, it takes 100 minutes to charge to 260 miles.

i like tesla and would like to own one... but people need to realize few things and Musk needs to grow up.
Old 02-14-13, 07:18 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

it was driven on parking lot for 5 minutes... 5 minutes... not 500 minutes.

as to the 70mph, are you going to be driving your 100k sports sedan 45 mph to get maximum mileage? Its 70mph, not 130 mph.

moral of the story - when they read above, people will be vary... moral of the story, your mileage in ev will vary. moral of the story - you dont run successful business by attacking journalists and calling them names.
I guess we need to move this in the debate forum. Nobody is disputing the facts that one should be able to drive their cars around in circles in the parking lot, or at high speeds. Heck, I do this with my car too. What is in question is the integrity of the reporter from NYT to represents the facts as they were instead of trying to misrepresent them to embelish his story or worse, further his agenda. Technically, if you don't attack journalists that tarnish your name, then you become an open target. It is best for Tesla to set the stage now.

BTW, for some companies, Reputational Risk is a Key risk reported at the Board of Director level. They have a zero tolerance policy on any negative story and they pursue anyone that "without proof or corroborating facts" tarnishes their reputation to the fullest extent of the law. They have to, they can't afford not to.

Last edited by My0gr81; 02-14-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-14-13, 07:24 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well full is 260 miles... without tesla super chargers, it is really pointless to have this car... even with tesla super chargers, it takes 100 minutes to charge to 260 miles.

i like tesla and would like to own one... but people need to realize few things and Musk needs to grow up.
260 is more then enough, people who buy this car are the same ones buying cars they really don't need and never letting the needle drop below half a tank

Quick Reply: Tesla accuses New York Times of faking a Model S road test: Big Oil dollars at work?