Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gazoo GRMN Sports FR Concept Twin Charged 325HP Teased Ahead of 2013 Tokyo Auto Salon

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 12:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
Apparently TRD has proven the kind of "out of this world" potential the 86 has with some tuning. Can't wait to learn more details about what tuning they've done.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11212315...the-tokyo-auto

Toyota 86 TRD Griffon concept teased for the Tokyo Auto Salon
Laps the Tsukuba Circuit faster than a Ferrari 458 Italia

Toyota Racing Development has released the first details about their 86 TRD Griffon concept.

Set to debut at the 2013 Tokyo Auto Salon, the Griffon was recently tested at the Tsukuba Circuit where it posted an astonishing lap time of 1:01:872. For comparison, Fastestlaps.com says the Ferrari 458 Italia takes 1:02.24 to complete the same task.

Official specifications won't be announced until the show kicks off on January 11th, but Toyota says the car has been equipped with a stiffer and lighter body as well as a track-oriented suspension and exhaust system.

Teaser:e=1357321589[/IMG]
That circuit time is

Old 01-04-13, 12:14 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
That circuit time is
Yeah before I didn't take TRD very seriously and always thought they're more about making individual upgrade parts than about developing the whole package. But with this TRD 86 I'm now convinced they're capable of competing head-to-head with Gazoo Racing and TMG for the title of Toyota's leading performance engineering team. Now if only the beancounters at Toyota would actually allow putting one of those amazing concepts in production...
Old 01-04-13, 12:25 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Yeah before I didn't take TRD very seriously and always thought they're more about making individual upgrade parts than about developing the whole package. But with this TRD 86 I'm now convinced they're capable of competing head-to-head with Gazoo Racing and TMG for the title of Toyota's leading performance engineering team. Now if only the beancounters at Toyota would actually allow putting one of those amazing concepts in production...
TRD Japan aka Toyota Technocraft is a performance arm of Toyota run by TMC in Japan. TMG formerly TTE is also a performance which is run out of Cologne Germany mainly for Toyota Europe. Gazoo Racing is TMC's factory race team. TRD supports Gazoo, which in essence TMG supports Gazoo as well. TC and TMG do more than just make parts, they develop whole cars.
Old 01-04-13, 12:32 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
TRD Japan aka Toyota Technocraft is a performance arm of Toyota run by TMC in Japan. TMG formerly TTE is also a performance which is run out of Cologne Germany mainly for Toyota Europe. Gazoo Racing is TMC's factory race team. TRD supports Gazoo, which in essence TMG supports Gazoo as well. TC and TMG do more than just make parts, they develop whole cars.
Yeah I knew TRD developed whole cars too, but have simply never heard of anything amazing or outstanding from TRD-branded cars until now (they usually tune their cars rather conservatively IMHO). And yeah I'm sure these performance arms don't mind supporting each other as they are backed by the same parent company and work towards the same goals after all.

Last edited by ydooby; 01-04-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 10:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Thank you for providing some insight. TRD has made many incredible performance machines in the past. Just because most of them stayed on Japanese or European shores doesn't mean they didn't exist .
Old 01-05-13, 08:19 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Give me that engine!