Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports love affair with Honda back on track with 2013 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-12, 04:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Consumer Reports love affair with Honda back on track with 2013 Accord

Consumer Reports and Honda seem to have patched things up thanks to the 2013 Accord. The publication says the four-cylinder sedan now sits at the top of its class after testing, beating out the Hyundai Sonata and Toyota Camry, while the V6 Accord is giving the Camry and Camry Hybrid serious competition in CR ratings. The Accord managed to improve its position thanks to its fuel economy, smooth CVT and driving characteristics, though testers also said the Accord boasts "one of the best driving positions available in its class."

That's not to say there weren't a few sore spots. Consumer Reports found the sedan's optional Lane Watch system to be gimmicky given the tech doesn't cover the driver's side blind spot. While the full test results are currently available on the CR web site, the report will also show up in the February issue of the magazine. Expect to see it hit news stand on December 27.

CONSUMER REPORTS TESTS FIND REDESIGNED HONDA ACCORD RETURNS TO THE FRONT OF THE PACK

Impressive Accord Redesign Alters Mid-sized Sedan Landscape

YONKERS, NY - With a roomy interior, frugal fuel economy, a fun-to-drive character, and an attractive combination of features and price, the Honda Accord has given Consumer Reports testers convincing evidence that Honda may be back on track.

The new four-cylinder Accord now tops its class, edging out the Hyundai Sonata and Camry, while the V6 model is challenging the Camry Hybrid and V6 Camry for the top spot in Consumer Reports ratings.

"Honda missed the mark with other redesigned models in recent years, but it nailed this one," said Jake Fisher, director, Consumer Reports Auto Test Center.

Consumer Reports tests found the new Accord to be a very fuel efficient and well-rounded sedan. Its 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine, matched with a smoothly operating continuously variable transmission, squeezes out an excellent 30 mpg overall and 40 mpg on the highway. The 3.5-liter V6 is super smooth and quite powerful, snapping off a 6.3-second 0-to-60 mph time that beats some sports cars. And its 26 mpg overall is better than many four-cylinders.

Inside the cabin, the Accord offers one of the best driving positions available in its class, with excellent visibility and comfortable seats. Upper-level versions have Honda's LaneWatch system which uses a camera to display what lurks in the car's passenger side blind zone. CR found this gimmicky and distracting, especially since there is no warning for cars on the driver's side.

The full report and road test results are available at ConsumerReports.org on December 18th and in the February issue of Consumer Reports on newsstands December 27. Updated daily, ConsumerReports.org is the go-to Website for the latest auto reviews, product news, blogs on breaking news and car buying information. Check out CR's ongoing Twitter feed at @CRCars.

While Consumer Reports previously tested the revamped Chevrolet Malibu's mild-hybrid Eco version, this group included a conventionally powered Malibu with the 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine. Consumer Reports engineers found it to have a plush ride, quiet cabin, and reasonable 26 mpg. With better handling and acceleration, this Malibu scored notably higher than the Malibu Eco. But its $26,030 sticker is high for the class and the rear seat is snug for a family sedan.

Subaru updated the 2013 Legacy, tweaking its suspension and giving it a new engine and continuously variable transmission (CVT). Consumer Reports found the Legacy to be spacious and nicely equipped, with good fuel economy given the standard all-wheel-drive. But while the handling of this new version is a little crisper, it comes at the expense of the previously cushy ride. The unrefined CVT accentuates engine noise, which also cost the car points in Consumer Reports testing. Overall, Consumer Reports found the new Legacy isn't notably better, only different.

The Accord and Legacy are Recommended by Consumer Reports; the Legacy has had above-average reliability and we expect the same for the Accord, based on its good track record. While the Malibu scored well, it's too new for Consumer Reports to have sufficient reliability data

The Hyundai Santa Fe Sport and Subaru XV Crosstrek SUVs were also recently tested by Consumer Reports. The stylish, midsized Santa Fe Sport was notably upgraded for 2013. Tests found it offers good fuel efficiency, a composed ride, a spacious cabin, and an impressive array of features for the money. But a few shortcomings, notably vague steering and limited visibility, keep it mid-pack in Consumer Reports' Ratings.

Consumer Reports found the Crosstrek, which is based on the Subaru Impreza hatchback, poses convincingly as a miniature SUV. Its raised ride height provides 8 inches of ground clearance, on par with "real" SUVs. While no rugged off-roader, it's more than a match for deeply rutted muddy roads. Fuel economy is impressive at 26 mpg overall, but acceleration with the CVT feels a little sluggish when it first gets underway. The engine sounds raucous when revving, which it has to do a lot. Road noise adds more racket.

The jacked-up ground clearance and stiffened suspension take a toll on agility and ride comfort. "Most buyers should stick with the higher-scoring Impreza Sport that costs $2,000 less," Fisher said.

Consumer Reports is the world's largest independent product-testing organization. Using its more than 50 labs, auto test center, and survey research center, the nonprofit rates thousands of products and services annually. Founded in 1936, Consumer Reports has over 8 million subscribers to its magazine, website and other publications. Its advocacy division, Consumers Union, works for health reform, food and product safety, financial reform, and other consumer issues in Washington, D.C., the states, and in the marketplace.

The full report and road test results are available at ConsumerReports.org on December 18th and in the January issue of Consumer Reports on newsstands December 27th.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/18/c...-on-track-wit/
Old 12-18-12, 04:55 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

have seen many on the roads here.

it's a good car. Can't deny it.

and out of all the $20k family haulers, it's the most upscale looking, and won't look dated any time soon.
Old 12-19-12, 06:29 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
it's a good car. Can't deny it.

and out of all the $20k family haulers, it's the most upscale looking, and won't look dated any time soon.
+1

Looks great on the road.
Old 12-19-12, 06:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1

Looks great on the road.
The Touring model with every option including the LED headlights looks great and for $34K list.
Old 12-19-12, 05:31 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big miss on the rear end. I don't get how Honda repeatedly does this with design where one end of the car looks nothing like the other end (almost like it was designed by two sub-committees).

Otherwise, great car!
Old 12-19-12, 10:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I wonder what Toyota will do with the Camry's upcoming refresh to one-up the Accord. When the Camry was released, it crapped all over the previous generation Accord. But this new Accord is actually a good effort by Honda:

Toyota Camry LE
2.5L I4
178hp@6000 rpm
170 ft-lbs@4100 rpm
25mpg city / 35mpg hwy

Honda Accord LX
2.4L I4
185hp@6400 rpm
181 ft-lb@3900 rpm
27mpg city / 36mpg hwy

What's most shocking to me is the torque figure. It has more peak torque at a LOWER rpm than the Camry, despite having a smaller engine. Historically, the Accord lacked low-end compared to the the competition but I'm glad Honda finally did something about it.

CR returning 30mpg combined is pretty impressive, but even more is the V6's 26mpg. The previous generation Accord I4 could barely get that.
Old 12-19-12, 10:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

It's a winner of a car, no question. Just disappointed they still don't include manumatic shifting down on the lever. Also can't get leather on the Sport model and rims are all the same from the base EX to the top Touring. Honda is still stingy with their options.
Old 12-19-12, 10:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskoss
Big miss on the rear end. I don't get how Honda repeatedly does this with design where one end of the car looks nothing like the other end (almost like it was designed by two sub-committees).
um, name a car where the front looks like the back?

i think this new accord owns the class (but it won't outsell camry).
Old 12-19-12, 11:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Consumer Reports and Consumers alike. It will take Honda more than just the Accord and CR-V and a revised Civic. I believe they can deliver if the next several models continue a once storied tradition of great value, efficiency, sport and fun, and safety and technology. They can be back on top in mainstream competition if they listen to what consumers and government want.

That said, the new Accord is heavily more favored over what it replaces because it is a good effort. I applaud them and hope to see a vehicle line-up that's resurgent in the market.
Old 12-20-12, 08:19 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

the new Accord design reminds me of the gen 6 Accord from 1998-2002, imo, that was the best Accord design ever, even to this day those cars still don't look too outdated compare to the similar years' Camrys and Altimas.
Old 12-20-12, 11:57 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New Accord is the new benchmark. It really does get everything right. And this coming from someone who shat on Honda for the last couple of years. Toyota's turn now, time to hit a homerun with the next Camry!
Old 12-20-12, 12:11 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

The accord's alwaysbeen rock solid. That's good Honda didn't mess that up
Old 12-20-12, 03:41 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I wonder what Toyota will do with the Camry's upcoming refresh to one-up the Accord. When the Camry was released, it crapped all over the previous generation Accord. But this new Accord is actually a good effort by Honda:

Toyota Camry LE
2.5L I4
178hp@6000 rpm
170 ft-lbs@4100 rpm
25mpg city / 35mpg hwy

Honda Accord LX
2.4L I4
185hp@6400 rpm
181 ft-lb@3900 rpm
27mpg city / 36mpg hwy

What's most shocking to me is the torque figure. It has more peak torque at a LOWER rpm than the Camry, despite having a smaller engine. Historically, the Accord lacked low-end compared to the the competition but I'm glad Honda finally did something about it.

CR returning 30mpg combined is pretty impressive, but even more is the V6's 26mpg. The previous generation Accord I4 could barely get that.
You can talk about paper specs all day. Let's see actual dyno figures and the torque curves for both engines, and then we can continue this.

Honda engines have ALWAYS had narrow powerbands, and this has not changed with the 2013 Accord.

Just wait till the mid-cycle refresh for the Camry that will likely bring new powertrains, then we'll see if the Accord is still on top.

And yes, great job by Honda in terms of the fuel economy. Let's be clear though, the Accord uses a CVT versus a regular 6-speed auto in the Camry. The Camry is still the fuel economy king of the midsize sedans with regular transmissions.

The V6Accord however, with the 6 speed auto achieves very good fuel economy.

Camry and Accord have always been the top two in the segment, and this hasn't changed.

What we really should be talking about is how laughable this makes other competitors look, in particular the Sonata, in comparison.
Old 12-20-12, 03:59 PM
LexFather

I think the Autoblog title is kind of pathetic and trying to get people to respond with bottom feeder responses on their site. We all know the new Accord is damn good and arguably best in class (I personally thought the last gen was just as good for its time).

Its not a "love affair". They accurately measured the Accord and it did well. They also did a great job being honest with the pre MMC Civic as it was a pretty terrible offering.

Sensationalist Titles are ruining car Forums.

Old 12-20-12, 04:05 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think this new accord owns the class (but it won't outsell camry).

based on last month, it's pretty damn close

I wonder if toyota feels threatened. They're rolling out 0% apr on the camry here

Originally Posted by Blueprint

Sensationalist Titles are ruining car Forums.

agree. I think autoblog posts here should have neutral, reworded thread titles, like "consumer reports 2013 accord test results", rather than carbon copied.

With all the autoblog posts here, I thought this site was owned by the same people.

Last edited by pman6; 12-20-12 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports love affair with Honda back on track with 2013 Accord