Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you think of Infiniti's branding? (Q & QX names)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 07:22 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
wow this would be freaking stupid. It's about as stupid as BMW splitting the coupe 3-series out of the 3-series line and into a new "4-series".
BMW's decision is making more sense as the 4 series pictures coming out show it looking VERY different from the 3 series.

Agreed on this though. The Q naming scheme is stupid; Infiniti needs to stop worry about branding schemes and just start making better cars instead of tanks. The G37 is the butt-end of jokes these days.
Old 12-19-12, 04:40 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
BMW's decision is making more sense as the 4 series pictures coming out show it looking VERY different from the 3 series.

Agreed on this though. The Q naming scheme is stupid; Infiniti needs to stop worry about branding schemes and just start making better cars instead of tanks. The G37 is the butt-end of jokes these days.
What BMW is doing makes a ton of sense and as a guy who has owned 4 3 series coupe/convertible models, I can tell you that I was pissed off every time people told me that my car was basically a sedan.

People who buy a 2 door don't want to be lumped with people buying family sedans. So BMWs move makes 110% sense. What is stupid is that they didn't do this a long time ago.
Old 12-19-12, 04:45 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The only company I can think of which has a naming scheme which consists of every car beginning with same letter followed by 2 numbers is Hyundai in Europe.

Hyundai's models are all i__ ix__ or H__ depending on sedan/hatchback for i, suv for ix, and H for van.

So there you have it - in a move down market, Infiniti is copying Hyundai sub branding.\
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of Infiniti's branding? (Q & QX names)-screen-shot-2012-12-19-at-7.43.06-pm.png  
Old 12-19-12, 04:50 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

President of Infiniti Responds:

Dear Infiniti Fans,

We love you dearly. And we know you love the brand. Which means it's only natural that you may feel surprised by the announcement that we plan to change our nomenclature philosophy. No one likes change.

It was a tough decision, we like our current model names as much as you do. But we had no choice but to change. Let me explain.

1. We are embarking on a massive product offensive, and these new cars need names. There are no suitable combinations of Alphanumeric naming options remaining which are not already trademarked by another automaker. In order to expand our line up with the fascinating new models we are developing, we must create a more flexible nomenclature philosophy.

2. Our new advanced technology engines under development will be smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient yet more powerful. And we will introduce some exhilarating performance machines in the future. I'm sure you will agree, it would be a bit odd to have a powerful, luxurious and refined V8 powered Infiniti M56, then position a new high-tech 550+ horsepower performance flagship for the Infiniti M range above it, using a potent charged induction V6, but then call it Infiniti M30, which we would be obliged to do, following our current naming logic.

3. Infiniti is becoming a global brand now, we are already active in almost 50 countries, the majority only very recently. Our new customers are unfamiliar with the brand and struggle to understand our range hierarchy. Is a JX above or below an FX? Where does an EX fit? What is the relationship between G and Infiniti M? Research confirms the majority of newcomers to our brand consider the naming to be somewhat arbitrary and confusing.

4. Infiniti owns the naming assets of Q plus double digit, and QX plus double digit. And it is a permanent part of our heritage.

So the solution is pretty straightforward - use Q for cars, QX for crossovers, and double digits in increments of ten, to denote hierarchy, linked to the price point of the model, not size and not engine displacement. And no, we won't call all-wheel drive models Q50X or QX50X. The fact that a model may feature four wheel drive, will be indicated by specific badging describing this feature on the car, and is not part of the model name.

The really exciting implication of all this, is that it prepares the way for the introduction of several fascinating new models, above and below the current line up, a wider range of powertrains, including some truly stunning performance cars in our future.

So there is only good news for all Infiniti fans around the globe. We are working very hard to bring you great products, a great brand and a compelling ownership experience. And we are really confident you will love the new Q50. It's simply that good.

Warmest regards

Johan de Nysschen
President

Infiniti Motor Company Limited
Old 12-19-12, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I think they are insane and are going to confuse everyone and give up strong and hard earned brand equity.

Basically all sedans will begin with Q, and all SUVs with Qx. Not clear how it will address differences in engine size.

I don't see what the problem is, it is a rather good idea.
Old 12-19-12, 07:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

When this thread was started I was in agreement with another poster that it looked like an April fools joke.

As the thread grew, my confusion about everything having a Q designation grew.

The explanation given today is kind of funny. The Q was pretty much a bust yet they tie the designation to the heritage of the brand.

Beyond the marketing speak, the tidbit that really has me going is the 550 hp 3 liter V6 based M replacement.
I had not seen anything about this coming. Before today's news, the most interesting vapor Infiniti has been the GTR drivetrain in a new G body but there was no news on that car.

In the near term, what ever they build I just hope it doesn't carry the beaky front the current M suffers from. That car just has no visual flow to me.

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 12-19-12 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 07:35 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The 550hp V6 sounds very interesting.

GTR drivetrain in a sedan body?
Old 12-19-12, 07:52 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

The Infiniti president's response is also pretty dumb.

There were many ways to solve the problem he is describing. One is to create a separate branding scheme for performance flagship like BMW has with the M5 or Lexus has with the ISF. The ISF is not an IS500 is it? He didn't mention the problem of how to label non performance forced inducion/hybrid plants, but again he could take a leaf out of BMW, Lexus and Mercedes book and not tie hybrid/turbo numbering to engine size but to engine size equivalence. So in this case a M35h could be a M50h to reflect its performance relative to an M56 and an M37.

There were many ways to solve the issue he is raising, but their solution was probably the worst way. He could equally have just moved to acura or jaguar style model and have letters without engine sizing designation.
Old 12-19-12, 07:58 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to be reasonable, we will all learn the names eventually.

It's harmless, really.

First step- Q50 = G.

got it.

performance line alphabet soup = IPLQ

QRST.
Old 12-19-12, 08:02 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

natnut,

Here is a link to an old and moldy story related to the Infiniti GTR sedan

http://jalopnik.com/399359/infiniti-...+r+based-sedan
Old 12-19-12, 08:36 PM
GSmonseur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Qhat the Quck!
Old 12-19-12, 10:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

i thought infiniti's explanation was ok actually... best of luck to them!
Old 12-19-12, 11:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Infiniti really has lost it's senses. I mean these guys have lost their minds to start this. The names G, M, I, J, Q, L, QX, FX are rooted into their branding and has become their identity. The problem is not with the name, but the product or rather lack there of. The G and M were never enough to carry the Infiniti banner. They need a flagship. This new nomenclature is downright madness and will confuse people to no end
Old 12-19-12, 11:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

^
That's exactly it. When a car company starts getting desperate, they pull stunts like this. It's the lack of competitive products, not what they are called. What's worse though is the new names will make things even worse.
Old 12-20-12, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
The Q naming scheme is stupid; Infiniti needs to stop worry about branding schemes and just start making better cars instead of tanks. The G37 is the butt-end of jokes these days.
I actually think the. Q and QX idea is a really good idea. Imo, the whole JX, FX, EX etc etc was and does not resonate very well.

Lexus naming is a copycat of Mercedes Benz and work really, really well for both of them.

BMW is very good the way they do it.
Audi has the best naming imo with A8, A6 etc etc, and Q7 ect works too.

Cadillac works fantastic with ATS, CTS, DTS etc because it is distinct for them and not at all like MB, Lex, or BMW. I notice Lincoln naming sucks because Caddy does the idea better.

As for Acura, only TL and RL work, but not even very well, they should go back to Legend or Integra.

Back to Infiniti, the naming IMO does not resonate well at all. Q45 was and is good, QX is a name legend but everything else like JX, EX etc sucks.

I'm all for Q or QX

Quick Reply: What do you think of Infiniti's branding? (Q & QX names)