Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Dodge Dart: reviews and more

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 09:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

impressive effort -- but don't like the Charger-like tails....this company is making some huge strides.
Old 06-27-12, 10:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did have a typo on the 2.0 specs, Hoovey. (see my reply to blacksc400). I corrected it to 148 ft-lbs. of torque.

And, yes, it is uncommon for N/A fours, in general, to have more torque than HP....but not for turbos.
ok cool. it was throwing me off lol.
Old 06-27-12, 03:24 PM
LexFather

Its very good efforts like this that makes those sub entry level luxury cars look like awful buys. I'm impressed with this.

Old 06-27-12, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its very good efforts like this that makes those sub entry level luxury cars look like awful buys.
Which cars are you talking about? Verano? CT200h? A3? TSX? BMW 1-series? IS250? "Sub-entry-level-luxury" can run two different ways....size and/or price. I'd agree that the 1-series, for what you get, is definitely overpriced......not necessarily the case with the others.

I'm impressed with this.
If you get a chance to drive one, let us know. I'll also be keeping my eyes open.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-27-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-28-12, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
this company is making some huge strides.
Yes, thanks to Fiat's CEO Sergio Machionne. He gave personal orders...no more junk from Chrysler, and no more sloppy fit-and-finish.
Old 07-23-12, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default MM Review-Update/Test-Drive: 2013 Dodge Dart

Several weeks ago, I did a static/non-test drive review of the all-new 2013 Dodge Dart, as the dealership I was at was not allowing any test-drives, had only one Dart (a red SXT Touring model with gray cloth interior, 1.4L Turbo MultiAir engine, 6-speed manual transmission, and no sunroof). So I reviewed and wrote up what I could, posted it in CAR CHAT, promised a test-drive review when possible, and just waited for an opportunity.

Not many other opportunities really arose, as most of the relatively few Darts that have come into the area since then, for some reason, have been pretty much the same color/trim/options as the one I static-reviewed...red SXT/Touring models with the 1.4 Turbo, 6-speed manual, and gray cloth interior. A local Dodge shop this morning (not the same one I was at a few weeks ago) had one available the same way with a sunroof. Since the one I looked at previously did not have that option, I decided to check it out and test-drive it. Unfortunately, as I expected, it made the already marginal front-seat headroom (for tall persons) of the non-sunroof versions even worse. Even with the seat-cushion lowered all the way, I still had to crank in some seat-back rake to keep my head and baseball-cap under the ceiling. Once I made the necessary contortions, of course, I was ready to drive.

Well, not quite. I had forgotten to try out the stereo when I did the static-review, so I caught up on that here. The basic on/off and volume controls were quire simple and easy to use, though there was come complexity in the video-screen. Voice-commands, actuated through steering-wheel controls, helped, and the stereo sound was pretty good.....not a killer like you would find in a Lexus Mark-Levinson (you've GOT to hear Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, or Judas Priest on a Levinson), but at least as good as anything you'll find for the price.

Since I've already done the basic static overview, specs, and review, I won't rehash or repeat that here.....I'll just attach it here as a basic reference.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...odge-dart.html

The car I drove this morning was essentially the same car, with a sunroof and a few other options added.....it listed for around $24,500.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the small Fiat-derived 1.4L MultiAir Turbo four by inserting a plastic key-fob (not a key itself) into the dash-ignition slot and turning it, like with a key. The engine fires up and idles with surprising smoothness/quietness and refinement...certainly much more so than with the relatively crude and unrefined fours in the previous Dodge Caliber and Neon compacts. On the road, though, this engine, even with the turbo, is no powerhouse. This seems to be partially due to its relatively small (by American standards) displacement, and by the added effect of the relatively tall, economy-oriented gear ratios in the 6-speed manual transmission (more on the transmisson in a second). The power level, however, seems to be adequate for most normal stop-and-go driving with a light load. With it being another one of those miserably humid and muggy days of a D.C. summer (which can often be as uncomfortable, if not more so, than those in the Deep South), I had the A/C on at least part of the time, and the engine seemed to handle it OK. The A/C, BTW, was quite effective, did a good job, and cooled the interior down quickly...more along the lines of what you usually get from GM and Toyota/Lexus A/C units. Engine noise, as typical, increased some with speed and RPMs but, by inexpensive compact-car standards, was quite well-muted...the engineers have done a good job keeping things relatively quiet under the hood.

They have also done a superb job (even better) with the clutch. Most manual-transmission vehicles these days, of course, have hydraulic-activated clutch-linkage, and the one in this car is as smooth as butter. I especially appreciated that, as some of the toes in my left foot, after eating those hot-dogs on July 4, have had gout for weeks....only, this morning, have they been getting back close to normal. Stepping on the pedal and releasing it in and out was like stepping on a pile of whipped-cream. It engaged with a syrupy-smoothness that was more typical of a torque-converter automatic starting up already in gear...indeed, it was hard to tell my smooth-shifting today from a regular automatic. Often you felt nothing at all when the clutch engaged, except that the car would start moving (or engage the next-higher gear). If all clutchess were like this, it would be a LOT easier in the student-driving-schools....much less jerking and stalling, holding up traffic.

That is, until you come to the basic transmission and shift-linkage itself, which, to be honest, did not impress me much at all. I am assuming that this transmisson is Italian-derived, since the car itself has a Fiat engine and an Alfa-Romeo platform. This gearbox, though adequate, is a long way from the snick-snick precision and easy-to-shift characteristics, of, say, a Honda Civic or Mazda Miata, which you can essentially shift by feel alone or with your eyes closed. Not here. The big silver-painted ball on the shift-lever, like the one on the Camaro SS (which I've also reviewed), felt like something that a major-league pitcher would hold in the World-Series, filling up most of the inside of even my big palm (no wisecracks, please). The shift-lever acton and linkage, like the clutch, was quite smooth, but the throws were very long, vague, notchy, gummy-feeling, and lacked precision (yes, just like some of the old Fiat transmissions of 30 years ago). Unless you were very careful with the lever to find the correct slot, (and certainly no speed-shifts), you could hit the wrong gear, either potentially lugging or over-revving. This is one reason I'd like to see more manual-transmissions wth either a dashboard-indicator to show you which gear you are in, or a Ferrari-style external-gate where you can actually see what slot you are sticking the lever into....but, of course, few manuals do it that way. Despite the inherent flexibility of a 6-speed, I also was not impressed with the basic gear-ratios, which were short enough in first and second to get the car easily-rolling (remember that smooth clutch?), but rather tall and widely-spaced in the upper-ranges, clearly oriented to low-RPM economy, leaving third and fourth feeling somewhat like you are in No-Man's-land. Despite the superb clutch, in this car, I'd recommend the automatic.

The Alfa-derived chassis, more or less as I expected, does a nice job of combining comfort with handling-response and precision, though it falls a little short of what you'd typically find in a BMW. The steering wheel is nicely-shaped, beefy and comfortable to hold, and steering-response is fairly quick, with little body-roll and adequate feel. Ride comfort (by compact-sedan standards) is pretty good most of the time, though you do feel sharp impacts with the low-profile tires. I found that out when I hit, (with at least some time to see it and slow down), one of those annoying construction-zone/bump-ridges across the road where the edge of the milled-pavement section is waiting for its final asphalt coat. Fortunately, I don't think I hit it hard enough to damage anything underneath...I had seen it in time to cut some speed off. Wind-noise and road/tire-noise were very-well subdued. On most road-surfaces, the Dart was almost as quiet on the road as the class-leading Buick Verano (which, believe me, is saying something, as the Verano, noise-wise, is usually like a rolling cocoon). The brakes were petty much as I expected, with a smooth, general Euro-feel and generally good effectiveness/linear action.....the only exception being a small amount of free-play and sponginess in the initial part of the pedal-travel (maybe a half-inch?) before they respond. The brake pedal itself, though not perfectly located for my big size-15 clodhopper-shoes, is mounted well enough that my shoe didn't catch the edge of the pedal too bad when I lifted it from gas to brake, like it does in some vehicles.

THE VERDICT:

Well, it goes without saying that the new Dart, despite the lack of a U.S.-market hatchback version like the Caliber that would give more cargo-space, is light-years ahead of both the former Caliber and Neon in paint, refinement, materials, interior attractiveness, powetrain quietness, and the slick operation of the clutch. Power from the 1.4L Turbo is not very impressive, but, of course, that may be addressed wth the upcoming Dart R/T model (and maybe a future SRT-4). The chassis does a good job of both isolation and responsiveness....something that is often not always easy to do, especially at a reasonably low price. I think that, like the new 300, Charger, 200, Grand Cherokee, and Ram Pickup, the new Dart will go a long way towards improving Chrysler's long-standing in-the-basement quality and customer-ratings. It is becoming increasingly clear, to me at least, that, like the money pumped from government and the UAW into a revitalized GM, the government and Fiat money pumped into Chrysler is also having a very good effect, and we are seeing MUCH better vehicles from both corporations. Thanks, Bush and Obama...both of you also had a part in this.

But several things on the Dart, IMO, still need work....or a major redesign. The roof, especially with the sunroof option, is too low for easy ingress/egress and headroom for tall persons. The 6-speed manual's shift linkage needs some lessons from Honda engineers. We could use a hatchback version here in the U.S. for better cargo-space. The car is still too new to have any Consumer-Reports or J.D. Power reliability-data....so, for a while at least, despite the car's generally nice initial-impression, one may still be tossing the dice on potential reliability.

But, is a new Dart money wasted? No, not as I see it. This car, IMO, despite its shortcomings, is definitely worth what it costs. If one has problems, that is what a warranty is for....and Chrysler now covers its powertrains for 5 years/100,00 miles. And please, Dodge, start sending us here in the D.C area some automatics.....the line of buyers will be waiting.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-23-12 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-24-12, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Has anyone on CL had a chance to test-drive (or buy/lease) an automatic-transmission Dart? If so, what are your thoughts on how it drives? Let's hear from you.
Old 07-25-12, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I noticed that the new Dart is now one of our sponsor-ads.
Old 07-25-12, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Nice Mike! Glad you got to sample one of these. I think the new Dart is quite the looker. I've only seen one on the road here in Cali so far. How do you think the Dart compares to the Cruze and Focus?
Old 07-26-12, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice Mike!
Thanks, Hoovey.

Glad you got to sample one of these.
Problem is.....most or all of them, so far, shipped, to the D.C. area, have been pretty much the same car and color. Perhaps some variety is on the way...let's hope so. I want to try an automatic, if possible, as I found the 6MT 's clutch superb, but its shift-linkage disappointing.

How do you think the Dart compares to the Cruze and Focus?
To some extent, apples-and-oranges, since the Cruze and Focus I drove were automatics and the Dart a 6MT. But, given the choices between what I did drive, I personally would take both the Cruze and the Dart over the Focus....though the Focus, to its credit, offers a hatchback opton that the other two lack. The Focus was well-built and offers some great (IMO) paint-colors, but I didn't like its interior (particularly the dash and steering wheel), its clunky-at-low-speeds twin-clutch automanual (Ford is supposedly working on that), and the PITA-to-use Ford MyTouch and SYNC (something else Ford is working on). Both the Cruze and Dart seemed better-isolated from road and wind-noise than the Focus, and, IMO, were overall more pleasant to drive....though the Focus seems more sport-oriented and less-concerned with comfort. The Cruze, IMO, had the best interior trim of the three, hands-down. None of the three had what I'd call drag-strip engines, even with the Dart's small-displacement turbo (but a Dart R/T may be coming soon, with more power). I suspect that the Dart's 6-speed automatic (if and when I get a chance to sample it) will be smooth and silky like the one in the Cruze.....and at least a couple of notches above the Focus's automanual. Later on, it is unclear if the Dart will also offer a twin-clutch automanual on some versions like the Focus. As far as potential reliability goes, I doubt if any of the three will be in the Honda/Toyota/Subaru category.....though, for the record, Consumer Reports (my favorite reliability-source) doesn't have enough reliability data on the new Focus yet; the Cruze, is, so far, below average, and the Dart, of course, is just being introduced now, with no reliability data at all. Given its basic Italian platform, though and the use of a number of Fiat/Alfa parts and components, it will be interesting to see if the Dart can do better than the old "Fix-it-Again-Tony" reliability of the 1980s....the last time low-priced Italian cars were sold in the U.S. I suspect it will....but that won't take much.
Old 12-04-12, 01:19 PM
Hoovey689

Default Review: 2013 Dodge Dart

2013 Dodge Dart

"Italian Immigrant Is Pretty Sharp, But A Few Degrees Short Of A Bullseye"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5458015/

The 2013 Dodge Dart is the most visible manifestation of the still-new monogamous relationship between Chrysler and Fiat, the Pentastar's savior from the depths of government-sponsored bankruptcy (or worse). If you'll recall, one of the big problems pundits, management and government officials identified with Chrysler's US lineup was its complete lack of competitive small cars.

Now would be a good time to mention that Dodge had a good thing with the original Neon. Not only did the little subcompact sell in conspicuously high numbers, it was also pretty fun to drive, especially in 150-horsepower ACR Coupe trim. In fact, so entertaining was the little two-door coupe, powered as it was by a dual-overhead-cam version of Chrysler's 2.0-liter four cylinder, that it spawned its very own racing series.

The successful Neon got a redesign in the year 2000, and as has so often been the case, the Pentastar Crew didn't do nearly enough to keep it competitive amidst a sea of Civics and Corollas, save the way-too-quick-for-its-own-good Neon SRT4, that is. The response to lagging market share? The Dodge Caliber, introduced in 2007. Suffice it to say that the Caliber was not the answer small-car buyers were looking for.

Enter the Dart. Is this compact the small-car savior Chrysler envisioned when it paired with Italy's Fiat? Let's take a closer look.

If an automobile is going to compete in the hotly contested compact car market in America, it's got to look good. Fortunately, the Dart delivers with styling that won't be mistaken for anything else in its segment. Up front is Dodge's familiar grille, with cross-shaped elements in either black or body color finish. The overall design manages to be both aggressive and curvaceous, due in part to the angular fascia and details like (optional) dual exhaust outlets, blacked-out trim and a distinct lack of chrome. In profile, the Dart is pretty much the exact opposite of the Caliber it replaces, and that's a good thing in the eyes of most consumers – though some will surely miss the utility available only in a hatchback.

At the rear, Dodge has implemented a unique version of its signature racetrack-shaped taillight array, made up in this case of 152 individual LED bulbs (available on R/T, SXT, Rallye and Limited trims). We like the effect of the racetrack taillamp array at night, and we appreciate its availability on the entry-level Dart.

Wheels can be had in 16-, 17- or 18-inch varieties, in bright silver, satin silver, polished or in a so-called Hyper Black finish on the R/T and Rallye models.

A few of the Dart's unique styling elements carry over into the interior. First and foremost is the racetrack-mimicking light strip surrounding the gauge cluster and top of the center stack. There are also plenty of piano-black trim pieces, which match the exterior bits seen on the Rallye model, and though the shiny surfaces are more than a little overdone, at least there's an alternative to the painted silver seen on every one of its competitors. Illuminated cup holders are a nice touch, as is the class-exclusive storage compartment hidden beneath the front passenger seat cushion.

Interior plastics and the fabric seating surfaces in our test car were well chosen, though not what we'd consider class leading – the Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze offer generally nicer duds. Most of the touch points have soft coatings applied that make them feel more upscale than past Dodge efforts, and the availability of 14 different cabin and trim combinations means buyers can individualize their Darts to their liking far better than most of its classmates.

Dodge has seen fit to offer its excellent 8.4-inch Uconnect in-dash technology in the Dart, and for that, we're thankful. It's quick, intuitive and powerful, and nothing else in the compact sedan class has any infotainment tech that's anywhere near as competent. Also worth mentioning is the available seven-inch TFT gauge cluster, which offers up a slew of driver-configurable screens that include multiple speedometers, navigation information, economy readouts, vehicle information updates and even a flower that grows or wilts based on your fuel-minded driving habits. Yeah, we could do without that last little bit, too.

Roominess is something of a mixed bag. There's 42.2 inches of legroom up front and 35.3 in the back; hip room in the rear seat measures 52.6 inches while shoulder room comes in at 56.1. The trunk measures 13.1 cubic feet. Basically, what we have in these dimensions is a full serving of competitive. Based on the Dart's exterior dimensions, however, we were hoping for more – the Dart, measuring 184 inches stem to stern with a 106.4-inch wheelbase and 72 inches in width, is the longest and widest car in its class. We're neither engineers nor math majors, which might explain why we're left scratching our heads as to where those extra potential cubic feet went off to.

Even more concerning, however, is the Dart's relative heft. The lightest Dart Dodge sells is still a heifer at nearly 3,200 pounds. The Honda Civic and Hyundai Elantra weigh a shade over 2,600 lbs, the Toyota Corolla and Mazda3 come in near 2,800 lbs, the Ford Focus is 2,960 lbs and the Chevy Cruze, once considered the porker of the segment, tips the scales at a bit under 3,100 pounds. Put another way, the Dart, without a single passenger, weighs as much as a Honda Civic with four 150-pound occupants.

Three engine options are available (or at least will be available once the delayed R/T model hits dealerships), including a standard 2.0-liter naturally aspirated mill, a 1.4-liter turbocharged and intercooled unit that leads the pack in efficiency and a 2.4-liter with 184 horsepower and 171 pound-feet of torque for those looking for the most powerful option. We drove a Dart with the standard 2.0-liter engine mated to a six-speed automatic for a week, then sampled the 1.4-liter turbo with a six-speed manual. Both engines move the Dart with competence through traffic. Horsepower for both the 2.0 and 1.4 engines comes in at 160, but the turbo's 184 lb-ft handily outdoes the base engine's 148.

If it were our hard-earned bucks on the line, we'd definitely opt for the smaller turbocharged engine, which, while balky at low-rpm takeoffs, is genuinely spritely once the tach swings near 3,000 rpm. What's more, it's the 1.4 liter that earns the highest fuel economy figures, with an estimated 27 miles per gallon in the city and 39 on the highway. Add the optional Aero pack, which includes active grille shutters and other slippery tweaks, and highway mileage jumps to 41 when mated to the six-speed manual gearbox. Choose the six-speed automatic and you'll get 28 city, 40 highway. Sadly, the turbo mill requires premium gasoline, negating some of the mpg benefits. For reference, Chevy's turbocharged 1.4 earns similar EPA figures on regular-grade fuel, though its 138 horses and 148 lb-ft are way down on the Dodge.

Behind the wheel, the Dart's Italian DNA is only somewhat apparent. Yes, the car is based on a platform originally developed by Fiat for Alfa Romeo, but it's been stretched like silly putty in every direction for the States and the suspension is tuned for American drivers on American roads. As such, it's soft enough to deal with horrid roadway surfaces and quiet enough to take your parents out to dinner. Fortunately, when you decide it's time to have some fun, the chassis is ready to play. Steering feel is quite good, and the fun-to-drive quotient on the street is right up with the Ford Focus and Mazda3, which we consider to be best-in-class in this regard.

Little things like the engine note and the way the Dart responds to quick steering inputs make for an entertaining car to drive aggressively, but full at-the-limit handling is much messier, with plenty of body roll to go along with the tire squeal. In other words, don't expect the Dart to carry you to any track-day glory as the Neon once did.

The six-speed automatic that can be had with the base 2.0-liter engine is smooth enough that it mostly went unnoticed. Like most modern cars, the tranny's electronic brain wants to shift to the next highest gear as soon as possible for fuel-economy purposes, but that's a disease inflicting most machinery these days.

Rowing through the six-speed manual gearbox isn't as fun as it should be. The shifter isn't as crisp as competitors from Honda or Mazda, and the throws are longer than we'd like. Complicating matters is a clutch that has a somewhat odd engagement. Our staff is divided on how bothersome the shift-for-yourself Dart experience really is, so we suggest you take one for a test drive before signing on the dotted line. In any case, buyers of the row-your-own model with the turbo engine better get used to rowing, as the little engine falls flat on its face at low rpm. Best to keep the mill spinning in the middle reaches of the tach.

Thankfully, Dodge hasn't tuned the soul out of the Dart's 1.4-liter turbocharged engine, which is also found in slightly different guise in the Fiat 500 Abarth. It's not quite as throaty in the Dart, but it probably shouldn't be, and there's still enough anger in the muffled music to bring a smile to our faces.

When all is said and done, the Dart is certainly a solid entry into the compact sedan class. It may not be the most entertaining steer on the planet, but it's quick on its feet and rides with aplomb – attributes that will serve its intended buyer very well. When slogging through the daily commute, the Dart can play people-mover just as well as anything else in its price range, and when the dial is turned up a few notches, it has something competitors like the Civic, Corolla and Elantra sometimes seem to lack: character. Perhaps there's a little Italian know-how left in the Dart after all.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/04/2...e-dart-review/
Old 12-04-12, 01:23 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Premium gasoline? That's not very popular for a Dodge.
Old 12-04-12, 06:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I generally have a high opinion of this car, despite its drivetrain shortcomings (one of them being the silly baseball-sized shift-**** for the manual transmission). But, overall, this appears to be the first reasonably well-built Chrysler-badged compact/subcompact literally in decades. Omni/Horizon, Sundance/Shadow, Neon, Caliber......all, IMO, were embarassments, quality-wise, not only to the people who designed them, but also to the robots and UAW people on the assembly-lines who screwed them together. This new Dart, fortunately, makes one forgive (and forget) much of that inglorious past. In fact, when I bought my Buick Verano last summer, the Dart was high on my consideration-list...in the top five. Of course, my judgements are based on its characteristics as a brand-new model.....long-term reliability has yet to be proved.
Old 12-04-12, 07:10 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fiat + Dodge now that's a recipe for quality

NOT
Old 12-04-12, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sam12345
Fiat + Dodge now that's a recipe for quality
NOT
Have you personally seen the car and inspected it? You may (?) simply be going by outdated stereotypes from the past. Although long-term reliability is, of course, a question mark, as a new car the Dart seems reasonably well-built......certainly better than the junk compacts Chrysler has given us for the last 30+ years.

And, for that matter, Fiats themselves may no longer be the F.I.A.T. (Fix it Again, Tony) rust-buckets they were back in the 1980s, either. Consumer Reports gives the new Fiat 500 an average reliability rating today, based on its U.S.-market record so far.

Quick Reply: 2013 Dodge Dart: reviews and more