Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS650 Prototype Set for Essen Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 06:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
This needs to be reposted 10 million times all over the internet.
thanks...

Originally Posted by rominl
more specifically, they know there is a problem with their direction. they know they have to get younger, and make the cars more exciting and fun to drive. i guess you can say they are not trying to become mb or bmw, but the direction they heading is somewhat where those companies are (or was?)
appealing to the younger demographic is an interesting point, because it also has risk. lexus is trying to appeal to the younger demographic lately by appealing with actual performance, whereas bmw, mercedes and audi these days are mostly about branding/image than actual performance, except for their high end stuff. the reality is most upwardly mobile young people work in cities with horrible traffic, and so buying 1.0g handling or 0-60 in 4 seconds is a lot less important than the badge, the audio system, the cell phone integration, comfort, etc.

audi's an interesting case because they might be the only brand with 3 levels for each vehicle... normal, s, and rs (hard core). the s cars it seems are more about great looks and image than all out performance. hard to find anyone who doesn't think an s5 looks incredible. who cares how it 'goes'.

it's amazing how lexus has stepped up with the handling and f-sport, but the looks are more polarizing, especially on the is and gs. while the new f-sport front is 'in your face', the sides and rear don't (to me) either don't say much, or don't scream luxury.

having said that i saw a brand dark red new ls460 the other day (might have been f-sport, but went by so quick i didn't catch the fgont) and it looked spectacular. i also think this gen es (exterior design) was truly inspired, and no wonder it sells so well, despite us all knowing about certain shortcuts that were taken.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-22-13 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 06:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks...

appealing to the younger demographic is an interesting point, because it also has risk. lexus is trying to appeal to the younger demographic lately by appealing with actual performance, whereas bmw, mercedes and audi these days are mostly about branding/image than actual performance, except for their high end stuff. the reality is most upwardly mobile young people work in cities with horrible traffic, and so buying 1.0g handling or 0-60 in 4 seconds is a lot less important than the badge, the audio system, the cell phone integration, comfort, etc.

audi's an interesting case because they might be the only brand with 3 levels for each vehicle... normal, s, and rs (hard core). the s cars it seems are more about great looks and image than all out performance. hard to find anyone who doesn't think an s5 looks incredible. who cares how it 'goes'.

it's amazing how lexus has stepped up with the handling and f-sport, but the looks are more polarizing, especially on the is and gs. while the new f-sport front is 'in your face', the sides and rear don't (to me) either don't say much, or don't scream luxury.

having said that i saw a brand dark red new ls460 the other day (might have been f-sport, but went by so quick i didn't catch the fgont) and it looked spectacular. i also think this gen es (exterior design) was truly inspired, and no wonder it sells so well, despite us all knowing about certainly shortcuts that were taken.
yup, that's why i said lexus might not be entirely going at where the euro brands are going. i don't know if it's the right direction or not, but at least in my opinion it's getting better.
Old 08-22-13, 06:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Clearly Acura and Infiniti want to be successful and to me it doesn't seem fair that Lexus should have to hold the banner against BMW, MBZ, Audi, Jag, and Porsche. Other than Lexus's beginnings which their trying to shed (albeit at a slower rate than the Euros), Acura and Infiniti give Japanese luxury a bad rep.
see i don't even think about 'japanese luxury' vs. 'german luxury' and i don't see lexus as having to hold up some 'japanese' flame aloft.

Sure they're competent cars, but that is not what sells in this field. If run right, Acura and Infiniti have potential especially when you see their concepts. Unfortunately neither have any product or very little of it that could even be mentioned in the same breath as the rest. It's like are they really content with mediocrity?!
i don't consider acura a luxury brand - they're more like buick, so i won't even comment on them, and they sure as heck don't compete much with lexus, let alone the 'germans'. infiniti's started a mess, has been a mess with an interesting vehicle here and there (mainly the G), and now they're restarting. we don't know where they're going, but they certainly show more promise than acura. i've driven a fairly new g37 coupe a fair bit lately... wonderful car, although transmits more road noise than i would have expected. the engine, transmission, and handling are excellent though as is the ergonomics and fit and finish.

The same can be said of Lincoln, which they and Acura and Infiniti would learn very much from Cadillac who took a simple formula and made it work.
cadillac is a great story, and has great history. it was obviously given a re-birth mission inside gm, and is executing really well. i already said what i'm going to say about acura (not playing) and infiniti (noob, again).

The lack of effort, lack of product (toe to toe - like them bringing a knife to a gun fight), and the abysmal marketing are not only hurting them, but Lexus and the Japanese auto industry.
not much point in acura and infiniti doing much marketing when you don't have the product. but i guess we disagree in that i don't believe their weakness has ANY impact on lexus at all.

If you want to match toe toe toe with the best, we'll then you have dig deep and produce a result that either matches or exceeds the Euros.
you make it sound like the 'euros' are in collusion. nothing could be further from the truth, they want to crush each other, and lexus, and any other upstart competitor.

bmw, mercedes, and audi, compete primarily with EACH OTHER.

To sum up, as long as the Euros continue to offer a product onslaught of high class, modern and advanced vehicles, there is nothing even Lexus and its LFA and award/comparison winning IS and GS duo can do by themselves to change the Image that society views or rather compares them to when the Euros set a standard as a whole. Until Acura and Infiniti and Lincoln for the Americans can offer what High end Euros do, the status quo will remain the same.
i disagree completely! toyota manages the investment level in lexus, and we all know what happens if they want to throw billions at a challenge, like the lfa! was the lfa somehow hurt because infiniti and acura don't have halo vehicles? heck no. but do i think lexus should have spent more of that money on other things in the model line? yes! but regardless, if toyota wants its lexus division to compete more head on with the german brands, it can do it. but toyota is a conservative company, takes a long view, and will patiently keep growing and re-evaluating along the way. it can be very frustrating for us impatient enthusiasts though!

acura makes 'premium' vehicles and seems content to do that (no matter if this new nsx is spectacular, it won't change anything), and infiniti's just starting over, although it has some nice products, but still no flagship sedan, just starting with hybrid tech, weak dealers, etc.
Old 08-22-13, 08:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TMG is looking to have Toyota use them to make unique vehicles like this. If they do so, TMG can start to make more money if the vehicles are well received and Toyota sees a case for it. If that happens, then we can get more special cars and projects from TMG, like the LeMans program or these TMG super Toyota/Lexus cars. All this Infinity Acura Lexus vs. europe is trivial. Toyota do what they do and the other companies do what they do in terms of business. Don't see what that has to do with this TMG LS.

Last edited by TF109B; 08-22-13 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-24-13, 11:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I understand completely and agree with that. However for the sake of conversation and to play devils advocate, simply; why not? Why does it have to be this way? Clearly Acura and Infiniti want to be successful and to me it doesn't seem fair that Lexus should have to hold the banner against BMW, MBZ, Audi, Jag, and Porsche. Other than Lexus's beginnings which their trying to shed (albeit at a slower rate than the Euros), Acura and Infiniti give Japanese luxury a bad rep. Sure they're competent cars, but that is not what sells in this field. If run right, Acura and Infiniti have potential especially when you see their concepts. Unfortunately neither have any product or very little of it that could even be mentioned in the same breath as the rest. It's like are they really content with mediocrity?! The same can be said of Lincoln, which they and Acura and Infiniti would learn very much from Cadillac who took a simple formula and made it work. A year from now numbers will speak for themselves, but Cadillac actually had product or is going too, that matches that of the Euros. A coupe and flagship are on the way, with the small ATS, the CTS is now squarely positioned against the 5, E, GS, A6, XF, and V and V-Sport are going to rival M, S/RS, AMG, R, F. Helll even while the Lexus GS soldiers on with one power train regardless of trim, a standard V6 and Spercharged V8 for the CTS will soon be joined by the VSport 3.6L V6 TT 420hp. Cadillac has come to play. Back to Acura and Infiniti, things need to be taken more seriously. Build the NSX and Essence. Make them the halo of your brand as the LFA did for Lexus. Make it a catalyst toward propelling them towards the front lines where Lexus, Cadillac, and the aforementioned Euros do battle. The lack of effort, lack of product (toe to toe - like them bringing a knife to a gun fight), and the abysmal marketing are not only hurting them, but Lexus and the Japanese auto industry. Rumor had it the Infiniti dealer at my automall will be gone by years end.. At some point you gotta wake up and say what are we doing? Clearly it's all dreams and 's over there, because no one takes them seriously. And to be fair how coud they? They do nothing to support Lexus in this industry and rather drag down the image of Japanese luxury. If you want to match toe toe toe with the best, we'll then you have dig deep and produce a result that either matches or exceeds the Euros. You can't rest on laurels of competency, not in this day and age. To sum up, as long as the Euros continue to offer a product onslaught of high class, modern and advanced vehicles, there is nothing even Lexus and its LFA and award/comparison winning IS and GS duo can do by themselves to change the Image that society views or rather compares them to when the Euros set a standard as a whole. Until Acura and Infiniti and Lincoln for the Americans can offer what High end Euros do, the status quo will remain the same. This ties in nicely with my thread and the topic of Unequal Automakers.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...utomakers.html

To the Euros and their offerings I say thank you, to Lexus and Cadillac bravo for taking charge and battling back, and to Acura, Infiniti and Lincoln I say do it right or not at all. Strive to move chains and make big moves..
Agreed. We have had threads and posts about this. Maybe people really are totally unaware of what's happening in the states. The BMW/Benz onslaught, Audis emergence and Porsche expansion has tipped the scales completely that Euro/German is dominant. Lexus really did the unthinkable being mentioned with BMW/Benz right away and was still highly regarded until lately. Hoovey is right, ironically Infiniti and Acuras overall failure hurts Lexus, it does not help Lexus. Lexus being the only credible brand from Asia simply cannot battle 4 dominant German brands here.

Honestly I think it's too late. The 2000s determined the next 100 years. Audi got its **** together and saw what was happening.

Old 08-24-13, 12:05 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Many brand have 3 levels for their vehicles, some just don't define them as clearly as Audi does, you have to look closely to see it:

Audi don't have 3 levels for all their lines, there is only A8 and S8, no RS8.

Audi A4, S4, RS4
BMW 320i, 328i, 335i, M3, M3 GTS
Benz C250, C350, C63, C63 Black Series
Lexus IS250, IS350, IS-F
Porsche 911 Carrera, Carrera S, GT3, GT3 RS
Porsche 911 GT3, GT2, GT1
Ferrari 599, GTB, HGTE, GTO.
Bentley Continental GT, GT Speed, SuperSport
VW Golf, GTi, R
Jaguar XK Touring, XK, XKR, XKR-S, XKR-S GT
Aston Martin Vantage, V8, V8S, V12, V12S, SP10
Corvette Base, Z51, Z06, ZR1
Camaro V6, SS, ZL1, Z28
Mustang V6, GT, Boss 302, GT500
Tesla Model S, 60, 85, P85, P85+
Volvo have 3 or more levels on many of their models, can't remember their name

Some are starting to have 4 or more levels!

I can go all day

Last edited by BNR34; 08-24-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-24-13, 12:23 PM
LexFather

FYI Hyundai dropped the 4.6. Pretty sure on that.

Old 08-24-13, 12:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You are right! Make sense as the 5.0R was pretty much identical to the 4.6 other then the engine and tranny.
Old 08-24-13, 02:04 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BNR34
You are right! Make sense as the 5.0R was pretty much identical to the 4.6 other then the engine and tranny.
If I may comment regarding that.

I believe that for the Genesis Sedan, the 5.0 liter V8 is only available for North America and South Korea.

Elsewhere, the global/international/worldwide engine lineup for the Genesis Sedan is as follows:
-Lambda 3.3 MPi 8 Speed Automatic RWD
-Lambda 3.8 MPi 8 Speed Automatic RWD (the only engine choice offered by Hyundai PH)
-Lambda 3.8 GDi 8 Speed Automatic RWD
-Tau 4.6 MPi 8 Speed Automatic RWD

The 5.0 liter GDI is not available for us (for the Genesis Sedan)

http://worldwide.hyundai.com/WW/Show...PIP/index.html

Last edited by Blackraven; 08-24-13 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-25-13, 12:16 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
TMG is looking to have Toyota use them to make unique vehicles like this. If they do so, TMG can start to make more money if the vehicles are well received and Toyota sees a case for it. If that happens, then we can get more special cars and projects from TMG, like the LeMans program or these TMG super Toyota/Lexus cars. All this Infinity Acura Lexus vs. europe is trivial. Toyota do what they do and the other companies do what they do in terms of business. Don't see what that has to do with this TMG LS.
If I may permitted to dream :

mainstream Lexus performance similar to M-Sport, S-line: F-Sport

hardcore performance line similar to AMG/M/RS : full fledged F ie RC-F, GS-F

"black line" similar to AMG Black : RC-F TMG edition, GS-F TMG edition -- may not be the actual nomenclature

So the TMG modifications will an ADDITIONAL modification to a full-fledged F line car

Last edited by natnut; 08-25-13 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 07:08 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
If I may permitted to dream :

mainstream Lexus performance similar to M-Sport, S-line: F-Sport

hardcore performance line similar to AMG/M/RS : full fledged F ie RC-F, GS-F

"black line" similar to AMG Black : RC-F TMG edition, GS-F TMG edition -- may not be the actual nomenclature

So the TMG modifications will an ADDITIONAL modification to a full-fledged F line car
We have the same dream BUT i would like to add...

-LS-F Sport
-LS-F (full-fledged)
-LS-F (TMG edition)

To do battle with the flagship euro sleds!

Lexus can do it, they just need to stop baby steppng the progression and jump in the game full throttle with a take no prisoners attiutde!
Old 09-07-13, 10:28 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default The TS 650 Lexus

I don't know if of u guys have seen this or not, but this is the sickest lexus I have seen, TS650 with 641 hp, wow, the TMG is gonna eat the AMG abt time.

Last edited by rominl; 09-08-13 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-07-13, 11:31 PM
fraglerock
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dig it. Not big on that grill & the hood, but lovin the rest.
Old 09-08-13, 06:41 AM
LexFather

Would love to see this on the new spindle grill LS....it would be even more menacing.